VIP
LV

Awards
Vaping Battery Safety 101: 6 Common mistakes vapers make with batteries

Posted by Kelsey Schilling

battery safety, Vape School

/ 09-02-2016

banner_not_formatted.jpg

6 Common Mistakes and 6 Excellent Solutions...

The topic of batteries in regard to vaping has created a lot of worry amongst everyone in the vaping community. Battery safety has become a dreaded subject for many. I suppose the only way I can really address battery safety is the way that I would when I worked in a vape shop. The first thing I want you to understand is that batteries were not built to fail, so if they do, there was some user error, and it’s something you 100% want to avoid. It’s a serious matter, and in certain situations, if not handled properly, it can cause permanent injury. We absolutely never want that to happen, so here are some common battery mistakes and their solutions:

1. Vapers often carry extra batteries around in their pocket, purse, or bag without a battery case.
2.jpg

Okay, so this is one that seems harmless. Most of us understand that our batteries are going to die at some point during the day, so we always carry extra charged batteries with us. The problem is not the battery in your pocket; the problem is all of the loose change or your set of keys also floating around. You know the way that favorite build of yours fires up? Well, that is completing a circuit, and your keys, loose change, or anything metal will do the same… but it will be in your pocket.

How to solve this problem: Easy! Put your batteries inside a battery case! They make all different sorts, from plastic, to soft cases, battery cages, to individual silicone battery cases! Pick them up from your favorite vape store, and remember: battery safety is every vaper’s responsibility.

2. People sometimes put their batteries in backwards. Not putting your batteries in the correct direction.
3-1.jpg

You remember when you were a kid and you would accidentally put the batteries in the TV clicker the wrong direction? TV didn't turn on did it? Well, too bad they didn't have a shocker on the TV remote back then because if there was, I can guarantee none of these people would be putting their batteries in the wrong direction. Guess what happens when you don't follow the proper battery orientation with a dual parallel mechanical mod, or any mod that does not have reverse polarity protection…. POP! You just vented your battery, and now your mod is most likely going to require some TLC.

How to solve this problem?: Put your batteries in the correct direction! Okay I guess that sounds easy, but seriously, I cannot stress the importance of this enough. I have seen this happen time and time again, and the blame is generally placed on the store the mod or batteries were purchased from. Just a hint, most knowledgeable vape stores can tell just by looking at the direction your batteries vented or the damage on your mod whether you had them in the correct direction or not. Accept the mistake and next time be more cautious.

3. Often, vapers use the wrong battery charger or a very cheap battery charger

photo credit: BBC

Have you ever forgotten your cell phone charger at home and had to use a friend’s to charge your cell phone? Normally you don't have any issues doing this right? Well, for vaping this can be potentially dangerous. If you happen to use the cord for that little ego battery you have with an iPhone wall piece, this can actually over-charge your battery causing it to potentially burst. While this is not always the case, and normally the battery will short out before you are able to see any physical damage, the potential for this to create an electrical fire is there. The same goes for external batteries. I also see many vapers do buy the cheapest 18650 charger they can because they believe they are all the same. While saving the money might be nice, these cheap chargers often do not have the over-charge protection that the more expensive/name brand ones do have.

How to solve this problem?: Use the charger that comes with your device. I guarantee that your local store recommends the charger that comes with your device for a reason and that they want you to be as safe as possible. Stay away from cheap chargers that cost under $10 because there is a reason they are so cheap. The important thing when charging external batteries is that you make sure you are using a high quality charger such as Nitecore or Efest. Quality chargers will also lengthen the overall life of your batteries which is a nice bonus.

4. A lot of vapers over-discharge their batteries. GOSH DARNIT! Over-discharging (completely draining) your batteries.

low-battery-animation.gif

I will admit, when I started vaping I was personally a huge culprit of this. I guess I was expecting the battery to just tell me when it needed to be charged, and let’s just say that with mechanical devices that is just not the case…Duh! Over-discharging your batteries can be just as damaging as overcharging them. The more you over discharge a battery the weaker the battery becomes.

How to solve this problem?: Well, for myself, once I picked up my Nitecore D-4 charger,I started to learn and really was able to watch what I was draining my batteries to. Now I am at a point where I am able to tell when my batteries reach exactly 3.8 volts every time. Always pay attention to when there is a significant decrease in power and switch to a freshly charged battery. It is better to charge a battery before it is over-discharged than after.

5. Every now and then, a vaper might build to too low a resistance and exceed the amp limit of their battery. This often ends very badly..
Okay, while it may be fun to challenge your buddies on who can build to the lowest resistance, I cannot believe how many times I have gone into a vape store and seen people walk out with builds that are dangerously low for their device. Running .05 ohms on a single 18650 tube mod? Do you have any idea how many amps are being drawn from your battery with a build that low? Well, it is 84 amps. That is exceeding your continuous discharge rating by 64 amps, putting your battery so close to thermal runaway just for the sake of “beating your buddies.” Shelve your pride, and keep your fingers. Please. Please. Please.

How to solve this problem?: Either build higher or put your build on a dual parallel unregulated mod. It really is not that difficult to receive a “hot and satisfying” vape while still being conscious of safety. Realistically, the lowest you should build for a single mechanical mod is .2 ohms which is a 21 amp draw (at 4.2 volts). If you want to run those super low-ohm builds, please put it on a dual parallel unregulated mod, because then you are splitting the amp draw between the two batteries.

6. Coils touching the top cap.
You know this can actually cause more damage to your device than it can your batteries, but the damage to your mod creates an unsafe environment for your batteries. When a coil touches the top cap it creates a hard short (solid connection between electrodes causes extremely high current flow and complete discharge resulting in permanent damage to the cell), and probably tastes TERRIBLE! I have had people ask me why their vape is tasting horrible and when I take off the top cap I can clearly tell that their coils have been touching the cap. It is almost like sticking a metal coat hanger into an outlet.

How to solve this problem?: If you do not understand the basics of electricity or if you do not completely know what safety measures to take while building, i’d advise you to take it to your local vape shop and pay the $10 to get your RDA rebuilt. If you are really interested in learning how to build on your own, ask questions! I can promise you that your local vape store will answer most of your building questions. If you have additional questions there are multiple youtube videos and Facebook forums where vapers in the community would be more than willing to help you. Reach out to veteran vapers, because they were new once too and will have experience with building.

source: http://blog.zamplebox.com/vaping-ba...eb+2016&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Found a very informative video on Squidoode's channel about batteries.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Number 6 happened to me a few times during my first few coil build attempts. As stated, it tasted really bad and I only fired it for a second or two before realizing it on each occasion before rebuilding. I also noticed the coil turned quite red as if dry burnt.

The article mentions that this particular situation could cause damage to both your mod and batteries. Would the mod fail if such damage has occurred? Or would the mod continue working in a damaged state which could cause potential problems later on?

And, if this situation does occur, how advisable would it be to buy new batteries?

For Nr 5, NEVER EVER trust a battery manufacturer's Amp rating.....In Mooch we trust!!!!!!!!

thanks this is very informative, I do number one all the time - but have been lucky enough to not close the circuit while in my pocket.

Vaping Battery Safety 101: 6 Common mistakes vapers make with batteries

Posted by Kelsey Schilling

battery safety, Vape School

/ 09-02-2016

banner_not_formatted.jpg

6 Common Mistakes and 6 Excellent Solutions...

The topic of batteries in regard to vaping has created a lot of worry amongst everyone in the vaping community. Battery safety has become a dreaded subject for many. I suppose the only way I can really address battery safety is the way that I would when I worked in a vape shop. The first thing I want you to understand is that batteries were not built to fail, so if they do, there was some user error, and it’s something you 100% want to avoid. It’s a serious matter, and in certain situations, if not handled properly, it can cause permanent injury. We absolutely never want that to happen, so here are some common battery mistakes and their solutions:

1. Vapers often carry extra batteries around in their pocket, purse, or bag without a battery case.
2.jpg

Okay, so this is one that seems harmless. Most of us understand that our batteries are going to die at some point during the day, so we always carry extra charged batteries with us. The problem is not the battery in your pocket; the problem is all of the loose change or your set of keys also floating around. You know the way that favorite build of yours fires up? Well, that is completing a circuit, and your keys, loose change, or anything metal will do the same… but it will be in your pocket.

How to solve this problem: Easy! Put your batteries inside a battery case! They make all different sorts, from plastic, to soft cases, battery cages, to individual silicone battery cases! Pick them up from your favorite vape store, and remember: battery safety is every vaper’s responsibility.

2. People sometimes put their batteries in backwards. Not putting your batteries in the correct direction.
3-1.jpg

You remember when you were a kid and you would accidentally put the batteries in the TV clicker the wrong direction? TV didn't turn on did it? Well, too bad they didn't have a shocker on the TV remote back then because if there was, I can guarantee none of these people would be putting their batteries in the wrong direction. Guess what happens when you don't follow the proper battery orientation with a dual parallel mechanical mod, or any mod that does not have reverse polarity protection…. POP! You just vented your battery, and now your mod is most likely going to require some TLC.

How to solve this problem?: Put your batteries in the correct direction! Okay I guess that sounds easy, but seriously, I cannot stress the importance of this enough. I have seen this happen time and time again, and the blame is generally placed on the store the mod or batteries were purchased from. Just a hint, most knowledgeable vape stores can tell just by looking at the direction your batteries vented or the damage on your mod whether you had them in the correct direction or not. Accept the mistake and next time be more cautious.

3. Often, vapers use the wrong battery charger or a very cheap battery charger

photo credit: BBC

Have you ever forgotten your cell phone charger at home and had to use a friend’s to charge your cell phone? Normally you don't have any issues doing this right? Well, for vaping this can be potentially dangerous. If you happen to use the cord for that little ego battery you have with an iPhone wall piece, this can actually over-charge your battery causing it to potentially burst. While this is not always the case, and normally the battery will short out before you are able to see any physical damage, the potential for this to create an electrical fire is there. The same goes for external batteries. I also see many vapers do buy the cheapest 18650 charger they can because they believe they are all the same. While saving the money might be nice, these cheap chargers often do not have the over-charge protection that the more expensive/name brand ones do have.

How to solve this problem?: Use the charger that comes with your device. I guarantee that your local store recommends the charger that comes with your device for a reason and that they want you to be as safe as possible. Stay away from cheap chargers that cost under $10 because there is a reason they are so cheap. The important thing when charging external batteries is that you make sure you are using a high quality charger such as Nitecore or Efest. Quality chargers will also lengthen the overall life of your batteries which is a nice bonus.

4. A lot of vapers over-discharge their batteries. GOSH DARNIT! Over-discharging (completely draining) your batteries.

low-battery-animation.gif

I will admit, when I started vaping I was personally a huge culprit of this. I guess I was expecting the battery to just tell me when it needed to be charged, and let’s just say that with mechanical devices that is just not the case…Duh! Over-discharging your batteries can be just as damaging as overcharging them. The more you over discharge a battery the weaker the battery becomes.

How to solve this problem?: Well, for myself, once I picked up my Nitecore D-4 charger,I started to learn and really was able to watch what I was draining my batteries to. Now I am at a point where I am able to tell when my batteries reach exactly 3.8 volts every time. Always pay attention to when there is a significant decrease in power and switch to a freshly charged battery. It is better to charge a battery before it is over-discharged than after.

5. Every now and then, a vaper might build to too low a resistance and exceed the amp limit of their battery. This often ends very badly..
Okay, while it may be fun to challenge your buddies on who can build to the lowest resistance, I cannot believe how many times I have gone into a vape store and seen people walk out with builds that are dangerously low for their device. Running .05 ohms on a single 18650 tube mod? Do you have any idea how many amps are being drawn from your battery with a build that low? Well, it is 84 amps. That is exceeding your continuous discharge rating by 64 amps, putting your battery so close to thermal runaway just for the sake of “beating your buddies.” Shelve your pride, and keep your fingers. Please. Please. Please.

How to solve this problem?: Either build higher or put your build on a dual parallel unregulated mod. It really is not that difficult to receive a “hot and satisfying” vape while still being conscious of safety. Realistically, the lowest you should build for a single mechanical mod is .2 ohms which is a 21 amp draw (at 4.2 volts). If you want to run those super low-ohm builds, please put it on a dual parallel unregulated mod, because then you are splitting the amp draw between the two batteries.

6. Coils touching the top cap.
You know this can actually cause more damage to your device than it can your batteries, but the damage to your mod creates an unsafe environment for your batteries. When a coil touches the top cap it creates a hard short (solid connection between electrodes causes extremely high current flow and complete discharge resulting in permanent damage to the cell), and probably tastes TERRIBLE! I have had people ask me why their vape is tasting horrible and when I take off the top cap I can clearly tell that their coils have been touching the cap. It is almost like sticking a metal coat hanger into an outlet.

How to solve this problem?: If you do not understand the basics of electricity or if you do not completely know what safety measures to take while building, i’d advise you to take it to your local vape shop and pay the $10 to get your RDA rebuilt. If you are really interested in learning how to build on your own, ask questions! I can promise you that your local vape store will answer most of your building questions. If you have additional questions there are multiple youtube videos and Facebook forums where vapers in the community would be more than willing to help you. Reach out to veteran vapers, because they were new once too and will have experience with building.

source: http://blog.zamplebox.com/vaping-ba...eb+2016&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Another tip if you have some of those silicon battery cases.
Put charged batteries the right side up, i.e. nipple or positive end towards the loop.
Put flat batteries just taken out of a mod or batteries removed from a charger that was not completely charged, upside down, i.e. negative terminal towards the loop.
That way you will easily spot which batteries should be charged by just lifting the silicon end at the loop, even if your batteries get mixed up.

If you use 18650s and do not have any battery cases, GET SOME!!

Ok so here's my question... I DO NOT HAVE an external battery charger. I'm using a wall adaptor to charge through my mod. NOW, I want to know at which amp rating is the best to charge my battery. I will get an external charger later, but not now.

Is a 1amp charger ok? or should I go for the 0.5 amp or 1.5 amp?

I would say to get the highest rated one you can, so you can use it for other items too. The best is at least a 1.5A or even a 2A if you can find one.
Most mods will only require a 1A charger, but they typically limit the charge current to about 500mA. Some allow 'fast charging' and will need a 1A charger for that.
If you use tablets and similar devices, you can typically only charge them with a 2A charger.

It does not matter if the charger rating is higher than what the device requires, in fact it is likely safer to get a higher rated charger than what your devices require. Less heat generated and a lesser chance of fatigue failures from constantly operating a device near it's limits.

Ok so here's my question... I DO NOT HAVE an external battery charger. I'm using a wall adaptor to charge through my mod. NOW, I want to know at which amp rating is the best to charge my battery. I will get an external charger later, but not now.

On board charging circuits have current limiting and watchdogs. Its a must for lithium cells. In theory you should be able to plug in a 2A charger and the mod will only draw what it needs in most cases 0.5A.

Thanks @Kuhlkatz and @Gazzacpt I was under the impression that I should not use a 2amp charger as the current is too high! Currently, I'm using my old iPhone 3G charger (rated at 1 Amp) and I find that when the mod is fully charged, it stops charging which works great for me.

I use a 0.5A charger, as both my MODs (Kangerteck Subbox and eVic VTC both limits the accepted charge to 0.5A anyway. Another this is, I leave it to charge as I go to bed at night, and leave it to charge for between 6 and 8 hrs, but, this is again not the best thing to do either. I suppose the BEST thing to do is to get a proper charger.

What is the difference between a Nitecore D4 and i4 ?

Nitecore D4 has a full-blown digital info display, and the i4 has a 3-LED bar only to indicate level of each bay.

I want the Nitecor battery charger so bad, but it's sold out @SirVape .....I guess it can wait till month end....

I'm sorry for asking in this thread but I though since we're talking batteries here, I'll give a shot. Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I have read in a couple of threads people taking about "two married batteries". What exactly does that mean and how do you go about doing this?

I'm new to all this and just winding about this.

Kind regards
G

I want the Nitecor battery charger so bad, but it's sold out @SirVape .....I guess it can wait till month end....

VapeKing Have

I'm sorry for asking in this thread but I though since we're talking batteries here, I'll give a shot. Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I have read in a couple of threads people taking about "two married batteries". What exactly does that mean and how do you go about doing this?

I'm new to all this and just winding about this.

Kind regards
G
It is all about have 2 or 3 batteries (depending on your mod) that are the same age, same amount of charge cycles etc, so they have a similar voltage all the way through their discharge (usage) cycle. So when you buy new batteries keep them together. Till death do us part and all that happy stuff ;)

Aah, thank you Warmachine. Then I've been doing it right. I have 3 sets of 2 which i marked so i only use them as a set.
Thank you for the info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting fact: 3 billion (3,000,000,000) 18650 batteries are made annually

Thanks @Kuhlkatz and @Gazzacpt I was under the impression that I should not use a 2amp charger as the current is too high! Currently, I'm using my old iPhone 3G charger (rated at 1 Amp) and I find that when the mod is fully charged, it stops charging which works great for me.
Charger rating is how much it can give. The device on the recieving end might not draw all of it. Better to have the extra headroom and go for a 1500 milli amp... under powering will just take forever to charge.

Back