Vaping Battery Safety 101: 6 Common mistakes vapers make with batteries

Do you have to worry about battery safety on a DNA lipo battery mod apart from keeping the lipo in good condition and out of heat? For example can I build a 0.09 coil and use it or is that dangerous ?

Lipo (Lithium Polymer) batteries are not safe, and require separate electronics for safety. Apparently when a Lipo let's go it is pretty violent.

What does that mean "require separate electronics" ?
A suitable mod. looks like majority of the DNA mods run Lipo batteries, and I am assuming they have the protection. I would also assume that the mod would not allow you to run a resistance that is not suitable for the battery. This is only an assumption as I have never had experience with the Vapourshark, Lavabox and the likes.

A suitable mod. looks like majority of the DNA mods run Lipo batteries, and I am assuming they have the protection. I would also assume that the mod would not allow you to run a resistance that is not suitable for the battery. This is only an assumption as I have never had experience with the Vapourshark, Lavabox and the likes.
That's what I think also, just need someone to clear it up.

That's what I think also, just need someone to clear it up.
The evolv dna board handles all the charging and protection. It will tell you if a build is to low to fire and it will "manage" the LiPo cells for you.
That being said some common sense is always good. Check the specs of what builds the mod can run with what wire. If you go to low mod protection should kick in.

1. Ï had i wee incident with no 1. has a car key complete the circuit in my pocket on a nigh out. Cost me a pair of shorts but luckily just the shorts.

Ï had i wee incident with no 1. has a car key complete the circuit in my pocket on a nigh out. Cost me a pair of shorts but luckily just the shorts.
Ouch, you are lucky.
Pockets are far too close to the family jewels for comfort, so I never carry batteries in pockets. If you look at the positive side side of when things go wrong, it means that you would potentially be allowed to sit down to have a wee ;)

Ouch, you are lucky.
Pockets are far too close to the family jewels for comfort, so I never carry batteries in pockets. If you look at the positive side side of when things go wrong, it means that you would potentially be allowed to sit down to have a wee ;)

Tell me about it on the bright side the Family jewels are right where i left them, the only thing on your mind when a battery vents in your pocket is save the jewels save the jewels

Lipo (Lithium Polymer) batteries are not safe, and require separate electronics for safety. Apparently when a Lipo let's go it is pretty violent.
True LiPo cells do not exist in our devices. It merely denotes a soft shell casing. They are still liquid inside...

True LiPo cells do not exist in our devices. It merely denotes a soft shell casing. They are still liquid inside...
Not sure what that means, are they using fake Lipo's in DNA mods ?

Here is a very interesting article I found regarding LiPo's in the vaping industry. Sounds like these batteries are the same that is used in the Radio Controlled world.

https://cloudmakertech.com/learn/lipo-vs-18650/

Not sure what that means, are they using fake Lipo's in DNA mods ?

Here is a very interesting article I found regarding LiPo's in the vaping industry. Sounds like these batteries are the same that is used in the Radio Controlled world.

https://cloudmakertech.com/learn/lipo-vs-18650/
Nah I mean I read up on them.

The designation "lithium polymer" has caused confusion among battery users because it can be interpreted in two ways. Originally, "lithium polymer" represented a developing technology using a polymer electrolyteinstead of the more common liquid electrolyte. The result is a "plastic" cell, which theoretically could be thin, flexible, and manufactured in different shapes, without risk of electrolyte leakage. These batteries are available[1] although the technology has not been fully developed and commercialized,[2][3][needs update] and research is ongoing.[4][5][6]

The second meaning appeared after some manufacturers applied the "polymer" designation to lithium-ion cells contained in a non-rigid pouch format. This is currently the most popular use, in which "polymer" refers more to a "polymer casing" (that is, the soft, external container) rather than a "polymer electrolyte". While the design is usually flat, and lightweight, it is not truly a polymer cell, since the electrolyte is still in liquid form, although it may be "plasticized" or "gelled" through a polymer additive.[7] These cells are sometimes designated as "LiPo"; however, from a technological point of view, they are the same as the ones marketed simply as "Li-ion", since the underlying electrochemistry is the same.[7]

Cool, but I still think it is important that people understand that the fake LiPo's have some dangerous risks, and need to be threated with care, especially if they have been dropped. The wikipedia insert above, almost makes it sound like the fake LiPo's are actually like normal 18650's

Nah I mean I read up on them.

The designation "lithium polymer" has caused confusion among battery users because it can be interpreted in two ways. Originally, "lithium polymer" represented a developing technology using a polymer electrolyteinstead of the more common liquid electrolyte. The result is a "plastic" cell, which theoretically could be thin, flexible, and manufactured in different shapes, without risk of electrolyte leakage. These batteries are available[1] although the technology has not been fully developed and commercialized,[2][3][needs update] and research is ongoing.[4][5][6]

The second meaning appeared after some manufacturers applied the "polymer" designation to lithium-ion cells contained in a non-rigid pouch format. This is currently the most popular use, in which "polymer" refers more to a "polymer casing" (that is, the soft, external container) rather than a "polymer electrolyte". While the design is usually flat, and lightweight, it is not truly a polymer cell, since the electrolyte is still in liquid form, although it may be "plasticized" or "gelled" through a polymer additive.[7] These cells are sometimes designated as "LiPo"; however, from a technological point of view, they are the same as the ones marketed simply as "Li-ion", since the underlying electrochemistry is the same.[7]
The ones we are use to and the RC world uses are Lithium ion polymer.
Commonly refered to as LiPo.

Cool, but I still think it is important that people understand that the fake LiPo's have some dangerous risks, and need to be threated with care, especially if they have been dropped. The wikipedia insert above, almost makes it sound like the fake LiPo's are actually like normal 18650's
I'm confused. You refer to fake Lipo cells. Which are the fakes you are referring to?

I'm confused. You refer to fake Lipo cells. Which are the fakes you are referring to?
He means that the name for the soft casing batteries is misleading and I agree. I also always thought they were ACTUAL polymer batteries.

He means that the name for the soft casing batteries is misleading and I agree. I also always thought they were ACTUAL polymer batteries.
I don't think its fair to call it a fake. The industry standard abbreviation is LiPo or Lipoly. Although the most commonly used "Lipo" arrangment is a hybrid it is still a fairly accurate abbreviation.

Hi,

Not sure if in the right place but my one battery is dented in the positive end (Like the one pic I found on google). Safe or not?

Attachments

• dented.jpg
    dented.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi,

Not sure if in the right place but my one battery is dented in the positive end (Like the one pic I found on google). Safe or not?
I'm going to go with "no" on this one, just with regards to rather safe than sorry.

Maybe someone with a bit more experience can help? SMART PEOPLE... ASSEMBLE!!!! (pings @Silver @shaunnadan @Andre @Rob Fisher )

How did it get dented @korn1 ?

I know that Reo users sometimes press the fire button too hard (they are called button mashers) and that can dent the battery positive.

I am not a battery expert by any means but my feeling would be to get another battery rather - and try figure out how it got dented in the first place to try prevent that from happening again. Can't be a good thing.

I never take a chance with batteries... that one needs to go into the gorge!

Ok cool :) Have a feeling my Kangertech subox dented it . Will be more gentle with my other batteries :)

Ok cool :) Have a feeling my Kangertech subox dented it . Will be more gentle with my other batteries :)
Yip, I had the same with some Efests in my daughter in law's Subox. But the dents are not substantial, does not touch the area below the dented part and the integrity of that part does not seem compromised at all. So, still in use.

Back