Vaping creates a "slime cloak" in your mouth

Hooked

Vapin' up a Storm
LV

Awards
https://futurism.com/neoscope/vaping-creates-slime-cloak-mouth-scientists
28 May 2020

"THIS IS THE FASTEST CHANGE [TO THE ORAL MICROBIOME] TO A HUMAN BEHAVIOR THAT WE HAVE OBSERVED SO FAR."

It turns out that vaping can wreak havoc on your oral microbiome, the ecosystem of beneficial bacteria that live in your mouth.

Doctors analyzing plaque taken from the mouths of regular vapers found that their microbiomes had become “pathogen-rich,” Inverse reports, and that the bacteria had started to rapidly produce a layer of slime.

That horrifyingly-named “slime cloak” threatens the healthy bacteria that you want to live in your mouth while making it easier for disease-causing bacteria to latch on. As a result, the plaque samples from vapers in the study were as bad as those of patients with the severe gum disease periodontitis, according to research published Wednesday in the journal Science Advances.

“Most importantly, these changes happen within three to 12 months of vaping,” Ohio State University periodontist Purnima Kumar told Inverse. “This is the fastest change [to the oral microbiome] to a human behavior that we have observed so far, [including] diet, antibiotic use, smoking, [and] hookah.”

The slime cloaks themselves can form in just 24 hours, Kumar found.

It’s troubling news for heavy-use vapers, but it’s difficult to know what the long-term health impacts of this microbiome disruption will be, Inverse reports. Like with other experiments on e-cigarettes, the findings are so new that it’s difficult to extrapolate into the future.

“Vaping can potentially induce a whole host of different diseases than what we have been used to seeing with smoking because of the different inflammatory signals and their intensities,” Kumar told Inverse. “It is possible that our immune system will respond to it in ways we do not know and result in diseases that we have not commonly seen in the mouth.”

Eh if it hasn't caused me a mouth disease in 3 years of vaping and being off the smokes... I'm just as likely to get hit by a train

28 May 2020

"THIS IS THE FASTEST CHANGE [TO THE ORAL MICROBIOME] TO A HUMAN BEHAVIOR THAT WE HAVE OBSERVED SO FAR."

It turns out that vaping can wreak havoc on your oral microbiome, the ecosystem of beneficial bacteria that live in your mouth.

Doctors analyzing plaque taken from the mouths of regular vapers found that their microbiomes had become “pathogen-rich,” Inverse reports, and that the bacteria had started to rapidly produce a layer of slime.

That horrifyingly-named “slime cloak” threatens the healthy bacteria that you want to live in your mouth while making it easier for disease-causing bacteria to latch on. As a result, the plaque samples from vapers in the study were as bad as those of patients with the severe gum disease periodontitis, according to research published Wednesday in the journal Science Advances.

“Most importantly, these changes happen within three to 12 months of vaping,” Ohio State University periodontist Purnima Kumar told Inverse. “This is the fastest change [to the oral microbiome] to a human behavior that we have observed so far, [including] diet, antibiotic use, smoking, [and] hookah.”

It’s troubling news for heavy-use vapers, but it’s difficult to know what the long-term health impacts of this microbiome disruption will be, Inverse reports. Like with other experiments on e-cigarettes, the findings are so new that it’s difficult to extrapolate into the future.

“Vaping can potentially induce a whole host of different diseases than what we have been used to seeing with smoking because of the different inflammatory signals and their intensities,” Kumar told Inverse. “It is possible that our immune system will respond to it in ways we do not know and result in diseases that we have not commonly seen in the mouth.”

Attachments

• 5mpn8Qq.gif
    5mpn8Qq.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
28 May 2020

Im still choosing the lessor of two evils. Vaping being as evil as a dolphin and cigarettes a shark of course. They look the same but...nuff said.
f0b249b475ec928e8bc07616fccbdade.png
JvTE3dpH5rrqtxoqfJgIMc5PsqNNIdm-qQirh1eRT863oR43oPQoNNBP3cUvqpcl1S10pQ9e4H4RN_iOP72X03ry4dqQyJKbXkJjg1Ocub_CM6HlbY2LWEf6n4LoOTBHq0xUb1MfvpCUbgWW

I hope mt family dont get hold of this article. I've suffered for years with teeth issues and according to the best of the best i have some ossue with rapid plaque build up which causes the heeeeeele kak for my teeth. I'll be pinned against the world if my family find this.

P.S my issues started at age 16, started vaping at 25 so i KNOW this is a kakpraat study and article.

28 May 2020

I must say with all the misinformation coming from America about vaping I tend to turn a blind eye, but one needs to be alert. I do tend to think one should drink alot of water when in a chain vaping mood. Anyone notice more frequent dental issues since vaping? Last year I freaked cos I lost three fillings in as many months and was worried because I had become a frequent vaper (stopped being a dual user finally). Thought it may be the vaping. Pleased to say I think it was middle age related. Haven't seen the dentist since sept.

I must say with all the misinformation coming from America about vaping I tend to turn a blind eye, but one needs to be alert. I do tend to think one should drink alot of water when in a chain vaping mood. Anyone notice more frequent dental issues since vaping? Last year I freaked cos I lost three fillings in as many months and was worried because I had become a frequent vaper (stopped being a dual user finally). Thought it may be the vaping. Pleased to say I think it was middle age related. Haven't seen the dentist since sept.
There is no way vaping could be more harmful to your mouth than the flipping cancer sticks!
https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/smoking-oral-health#1

Agree with @Rob Fisher -this story smells.

Yeah. Let them compare what "IS THE FASTEST CHANGE [TO THE ORAL MICROBIOME]".

Comparisons that they didn't make:
A human with no change in diet or anything.
1 visit to a dentist.
A shot of 43% alcohol.
Non-smoker to smoker.
Smoker to non-smoker.

What they did, was make synthetic saliva to compare? I am tired of science these days, and will not even read their research... Rather ask my nearest high school drop out about facts.

Yeah. Let them compare what "IS THE FASTEST CHANGE [TO THE ORAL MICROBIOME]".

Comparisons that they didn't make:
A human with no change in diet or anything.
1 visit to a dentist.
A shot of 43% alcohol.
Non-smoker to smoker.
Smoker to non-smoker.

What they did, was make synthetic saliva to compare? I am tired of science these days, and will not even read their research... Rather ask my nearest high school drop out about facts.
From tomorrow the slime doesn't stand a chance ...

From tomorrow the slime doesn't stand a chance ...

Hahaha! Definitely will be cleaner afterwards!

Just thinking, that commercial juices have lots of sugar, that will make bacteria grow. I am sure if you use sugar to grow bacteria it will be more effective than not. But I am sure their tests are laughable and don't include such testing nevermind speculation.

Hahaha! Definitely will be cleaner afterwards!

Just thinking, that commercial juices have lots of sugar, that will make bacteria grow. I am sure if you use sugar to grow bacteria it will be more effective than not. But I am sure their tests are laughable and don't include such testing nevermind speculation.
Alcohol comes from sugars too;)

:notagain:

Anyone have a mood ring? I lost mine and I don't know how I feel about it:facepalm:

When I see something like this, I look for links to the actual research. If there are no links, it's bullshit and I ignore it.

When I see something like this, I look for links to the actual research. If there are no links, it's bullshit and I ignore it.

There is a research link. Skimmed some, and some parts... I could only say "good job".

Read this : Wear a special ring to signify if you have CV19 ...Same writer as the ''Slime'' story...
Wearable Claims to Spot COVID Three Days Before Symptoms Appear.
https://futurism.com/neoscope/wearable-three-days-symptoms
Wheres the *eye roll* reply emoji.

You know...its actually the reason I changed careers. I was a journalist until I realised how much crap were forced to spew out to the masses. *sigh*

Back