Vaping in Different Countries

Was referred to this thread by @Hooked as i live in Abu Dhabi, UAE and, well, Vape!

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/health/vaping-thrives-in-uae-despite-ban-1.1878323
http://vaping360.com/dubai-public-smoking-vaping-ban/

So, this is what the news says... So, beware at airports and in and around the UAE.

Although, from personal experience, I and many friends and family coming to and residing in the UAE have brought in vape supplies successfully. We also vape openly (in smoking areas) with no issues at all. Many people vape, even at the office park i work in where Out of 10 cigarette smokers, theres atleast 3 vapers.

From a selling point of view, i wouldnt open a store here selling vape goodies, i think the law comes in pretty hard when you openly sell "illegal" items.

@Arbee Thanks so much for the information!

Great, i am going to Egypt next month. I see they even have a few vape stores. Not sure if its online or proper stores.

I came across one store in Sharm El Sheikh. I saw only 2 people vaping during my entire trip (who were also tourists) so it hasn’t yet kicked off in a big way In Egypt as yet.

INDIA - 11 JANUARY 2018

"There are 29 states in India, and six of them have now banned sales and manufacture of vape products. In a country with 1.3 billion residents, these bans are preventing a lot of people from finding safer nicotine choices.

The most recent addition to the list is Bihar, the massive country’s third-largest state by population. Bihar is home to more than 104 million people — more than the United Kingdom or Germany. It lies in the northeast on India, just south of Nepal.

The state drug controller issued a notification that “manufacture, distribution, sale, purchase, display and advertisement” are all banned, according to the Times of India. It is unusual to include purchases in vape bans, but Bihar even includes online purchases in its rule."

SINGAPORE - 26 JAN. 2018

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2018/01/26/singapore-bans-ecigs/

From Feb 1, it will be illegal to buy, use and possess emerging and imitation tobacco products such as smokeless tobacco products, chewing tobacco and shisha…

The Act also prohibits any device or article that resembles tobacco products, including vaporisers such as electronic cigarettes, electronic pipes, electronic cigars and the like … The law will also ban people from buying, using and owning imitation tobacco products, such as e-cigarettes, e-cigars and e-pipes.

… anyone caught buying, possessing or using such products can be fined up to S$2,000 (RM5,930), the Ministry of Health (MOH) said in a statement on Friday (Jan 26). Those found guilty of carrying out such acts can be jailed for up to six months and/or fined up to S$10,000 (RM29,640) for the first offence.

MALAYSIA – 5 June 2017

Read the second article too, about what happened today.

https://www.vapes.com/blogs/news/vaping-in-malaysia-could-lead-to-prison-says-law-officials

“…vapers caught engaging in their favorite pastime in a public park might be slapped with a hefty fine of up to $2,300, and repeat offenders could even be sent to prison for a period of two-years.
But it’s not just vaping in public parks that is now outlawed. The Malaysian vaping community cannot vape in any public venues located throughout Selangor, including shopping centers, government buildings like the post office or hospitals, any public place with air-conditioning, or even gas stations. To be fair, the new laws also apply to smoking cigarettes and other tobacco products.”

Police, pharma raids hit every Malaysian vape shop - 29 Jan. 2018

https://www.vapingpost.com/2018/01/29/police-pharma-raids-hit-every-malaysian-vape-shop/

The International Network of Nicotine Consumer Organisations (INNCO) has told Vaping Post that every vape shop in Malaysia seems to have been raided in a coordinated operation by police and regulators from Pharmaceutical Services.

… the raiders confiscated all nicotine-containing liquids, essentially taking the entire stock off the market. They also forced vendors to hand over all receipts for nicotine liquids, and the contact details of their suppliers. MOVE believe that the next step will be to go after the suppliers and confiscate their stocks, too.”

I smell the tobacco companies behind all of this.

thailand
vaping is banned in thailand since 2014. the police wasn’t enforcing it for a long time but recently they started cracking down on it. possible consequences can be confiscation, a high fine or even a prison sentence for up to five years.

thailand
vaping is banned in thailand since 2014. the police wasn’t enforcing it for a long time but recently they started cracking down on it. possible consequences can be confiscation, a high fine or even a prison sentence for up to five years.
Ouch!

UAE - 8 Feb. 2018
Anecdotal

Thanks to @Sarx for the following info, which I'm quoting from his post https://www.ecigssa.co.za/etihad-to-uae.t34432/page-2#post-636688

" the story about e-cigs being banned in the UAE. Whilst this is still the case, I managed to pass through airport security with no issues. When I checked with the Etihad check-in desk about the batteries for my ecig they didn't seem to mind at all that I'm travelling to the UAE with it. In Abu Dhabi and Dubai my wife vaped in the smoking sections and no eyebrows were ever raised."

and in a later post in the same thread,

"Vaping in the UAE - I had no issues with anyone at all. Just stick to smoking sections and usual etiquette...i.e don't be a douche and blow a big cloud into someone's face etc..."

If you need info purely about the actual travelling to the UAE, look at this thread https://www.ecigssa.co.za/etihad-to-uae.t34432/page-2

Last edited:
UAE - 8 Feb. 2018
Anecdotal

Thanks to @Sarx for the following info, which I'm quoting from his post https://www.ecigssa.co.za/etihad-to-uae.t34432/page-2#post-636688

" the story about e-cigs being banned in the UAE. Whilst this is still the case, I managed to pass through airport security with no issues. When I checked with the Etihad check-in desk about the batteries for my ecig they didn't seem to mind at all that I'm travelling to the UAE with it. In Abu Dhabi and Dubai my wife vaped in the smoking sections and no eyebrows were ever raised."

and in a later post in the same thread,

"Vaping in the UAE - I had no issues with anyone at all. Just stick to smoking sections and usual etiquette...i.e don't be a douche and blow a big cloud into someone's face etc..."

If you need info purely about the actual travelling to the UAE, look at this thread https://www.ecigssa.co.za/etihad-to-uae.t34432/page-2
Thanx for the info!
How is travelling with Emirates through Dubai?
Does anyone have any experience here?

RUSSIA - 13 MARCH 2018

Russia’s Health Ministry encourages smokers to switch to e-cigs

https://www.vapingpost.com/2018/03/...g-products-differently-than-tobacco-products/

“Russia’s Minister of Industry and Trade, Denis Manturov, announced that Russia is preparing to categorize vaping products differently than tobacco products and therefore regulate them separately.

The minister also pointed out that Russia’s Ministry of Health is onboard with this motion, and is urging smokers to switch to the safer alternatives. In relation to the impending regulations, the Minister said that these should include restrictions on selling the products to minors, and on their use in schools. Additionally, announced Manturov, a system that will track cigarette packages will also be set in place."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/428...ned-and-could-even-get-you-chucked-in-prison/

12 September 2017

hd-map-restricted-and-banned-vape-areas.jpg

Quoting from the above article, but highlights are mine.

… travelling to Thailand should leave their e-cigarettes behind or risk ending up in prison.
According to the Foreign Office, any e-cigarettes found by Thai officials are likely to be confiscated, and the owner could fined or sent to prison for up to ten years. Vaping was banned in the country in 2014, but many tourists are unaware of the new law.

Over in South America, Argentinian and Venezuelan officials frown on personal vaporisers. While travellers have reported being able to vape in some public places, be aware that you may be fined.

Meanwhile, visitors to Brazil are also warned off smoking e-cigarettes - the country banned their manufacture and sale in 2014 and officials have been known to hand out fines for any product confiscated.

Uruguay also put a blanket ban on electronic cigarettes in 2009, when the Minister of Health claimed that the presence of toxic gases and lack of proof that e-cigarettes work as effective tools to quit smoking were reason enough.

In the United Arab Emirates, sale and import of e-cigarettes have been banned since 2009. According to Gulf News, any kind of vaping gear that is brought into the country is seized at the airport. Reports in local media at the time revealed that the Ministry of Health in the UAE banned the products because they could be hazardous to users' health.

Nearby Jordan, Oman and Qatar have also banned e-cigarettes, with the reasoning that nicotine is damaging to the health - despite the fact that cigarettes are still legal.

In Taiwan, e-cigarettes are classed as a regulated drug, meaning their import and sale can lead to prison sentences and fines, while Cambodia, Indonesia, Brunei and Singapore have also banned vaping.

If you're caught vaping in Brunei, you could be fined up to £200.

While some countries ban vaping altogether, in others it's more of a grey area.

In Australia for example, it is legal to use vape pens in all states, but in Queensland, e-cigarettes which contain liquid nicotine are illegal.

Over in Finland, a new law has now enabled building associations and owners to ban smoking on balconies and other outdoor spaces.

And in Hong Kong, possessing or selling e-cigarette liquid containing nicotine, which is categorised as a poison, carries a potential penalty of up to two years in prison and a large fine. By next year e-cigarettes are likely to be completely illegal there.

Hong Kong's Asian neighbour Japan allows vaping, but it is illegal to buy and sell liquid containing nicotine and visitors can only import 120ml of nicotine into the country.

Meanwhile in Canada, vaping is prohibited for under 19-year-olds. And while it is allowed in many establishments, it is seen as rude not to ask first.

Dan Marchant, Director of Vape Club told Sun Online: "As the popularity and awareness of vaping increases around the world, the laws surrounding it are also constantly changing, so it is vital that Brits seek up to date advice before travelling. "We hear of different attitudes towards vaping coming from countries where vape products have been banned, though of course if vaping is banned in your country of travel it’s best to not risk a fine, or worse, from the police.

One other important thing to remember is to keep vape batteries in your hand luggage as they are required to be kept in a pressure controlled environment."

QATAR - UPDATE

As per the updated email information alert just received from the Foreign Office (British Government).

"Qatar law also prohibits the importation, sale and purchase of electronic cigarettes, liquids and other similar products (eg electronic shisha pipes). The law applies regardless of quantity and intended use. Customs officials may seize and confiscate any such items found entering the country by any means, including in passengers’ luggage or sent by post."

I am in Doha twice in June/July and will update on how it goes.

QATAR - UPDATE

As per the updated email information alert just received from the Foreign Office (British Government).

"Qatar law also prohibits the importation, sale and purchase of electronic cigarettes, liquids and other similar products (eg electronic shisha pipes). The law applies regardless of quantity and intended use. Customs officials may seize and confiscate any such items found entering the country by any means, including in passengers’ luggage or sent by post."

I am in Doha twice in June/July and will update on how it goes.

Thanks so much for posting in this thread, @Flame3601 !

@Rob Fisher perhaps you'd like to comment on your experiences in the countries which you've recently visited?

@Rob Fisher perhaps you'd like to comment on your experiences in the countries which you've recently visited?

Sure @Hooked!

I visited Germany, Austria, Estonia, Russia, Sweden, Norway and Denmark and went via Dubai and came back via Doha.

My backpack was scanned many times and twice the guy wanted to take a look but at no stage did anyone give me the slightest hassle at any of the customs or security scanning posts.

I vaped as I would here in South Africa and not once did I have an issue... there are so many smokers in Germany and Russia and I saw very few vapers in the wild.

The boat is a no smoking and e-cigarette (that's what they call it) zone other than in the demarcated zones but there was no way on earth I was standing in those sections... when I was on the decks I pretty much vaped no issue but of course I didn't give it horns and only away from people and in the wide open did I vape normally. I Ninja vaped and was very mindful and didn't have an issue.

Sure @Hooked!

I visited Germany, Austria, Estonia, Russia, Sweden, Norway and Denmark and went via Dubai and came back via Doha.

My backpack was scanned many times and twice the guy wanted to take a look but at no stage did anyone give me the slightest hassle at any of the customs or security scanning posts.

I vaped as I would here in South Africa and not once did I have an issue... there are so many smokers in Germany and Russia and I saw very few vapers in the wild.

The boat is a no smoking and e-cigarette (that's what they call it) zone other than in the demarcated zones but there was no way on earth I was standing in those sections... when I was on the decks I pretty much vaped no issue but of course I didn't give it horns and only away from people and in the wide open did I vape normally. I Ninja vaped and was very mindful and didn't have an issue.

Interesting - thanks @Rob Fisher!

Qatar - Personal Experience.

As promised in my previous reply (#40) within this thread, i come bearing good news.

I travelled on Qatar Airways over the June/July period 6 times, no issues during my transit experience/s with my equipment and liquids carried with my personal belongings as cabin baggage. I entered Doha twice and went through two bag checks before arriving in the arrival hall, both my bags were checked in the first screening, not manually but rather via scanner, then passed the second check with ease when going through the official customs area. I also vaped in the Qatar Airway's Al Mourjan and Al Safwa lounge's smoking section respectively without a batt of an eyelid. I additional vaped within hotels in Doha with similar experience of no issues whatsoever. I also had no issues when departing Doha either.

Qatar - Personal Experience.

As promised in my previous reply (#40) within this thread, i come bearing good news.

I travelled on Qatar Airways over the June/July period 6 times, no issues during my transit experience/s with my equipment and liquids carried with my personal belongings as cabin baggage. I entered Doha twice and went through two bag checks before arriving in the arrival hall, both my bags were checked in the first screening, not manually but rather via scanner, then passed the second check with ease when going through the official customs area. I also vaped in the Qatar Airway's Al Mourjan and Al Safwa lounge's smoking section respectively without a batt of an eyelid. I additional vaped within hotels in Doha with similar experience of no issues whatsoever. I also had no issues when departing Doha either.

Thank you very much indeed for sharing your experiences with us @Flame3601! :h: This will be most helpful to those who might be travelling on Qatar Airways and/or going to Doha.

Turkey

I'm currently working in Turkey for a few weeks, travelled with Turkish Airlines. I had no issue during transit, had 2 mods, 6 batteries and 500ml of juice in my hand luggage. I've been vaping openly in public without any problems, smoking is allowed almost everywhere but I still stick to local smoking area rules. I know there are a few vape shops in the bigger cities but none in the destrict I'm currently staying in. According to what i read online, vaping is legal however selling vaping devices and liquid is prohibited but not strictly inforced.

Back