Vaping Toolbox

Should be easy to put together yourself, will shop around and give feedback.

http://www.makro.co.za/diy/big-jim-32cm-toolbox-843466EA

Bought myself one of these a few months back and happened to notice another guy at our local vape meet last night showed up with an identical box also used as his vape kit box. (He'd never seen mine)

It has separated compartments in the lid. Under the lid is a lift out tray with decent space underneath.

The lid compartments on mine contain various kanthal's, wicking materials, new and used clearo coils, straight nail clippers, (from various vendors) as well as a few drill bits, (also from makro).

In the tray inside I have various screw driver, torx and allen key drivers, more drill bits, various spacers/beauty rings, adapters, long nose pliers, straight and bent and mini side cutters, (tools also mostly from makro).

In the bottom I have an ohm meter as well as larger spools of kanthal and anything else that wont fit in the smaller compartments. My USB cables and 18650 charger occasionally take up residence there, but usually spend most of their time plugged in in the lounge where I can see them, charging something. :D

Its not quite as neat as the one in the original post but it works for my uses and at least one other person seems to think the same, and you cant beat the price. Give one of these a look, it may work for you too, you can also find many of the tools you need at Makro.

They also make the same thing in a larger size (50cm), if I recall correctly, should you require a little more space.

Bought myself one of these a few months back and happened to notice another guy at our local vape meet last night showed up with an identical box also used as his vape kit box. (He'd never seen mine)

It has separated compartments in the lid. Under the lid is a lift out tray with decent space underneath.

The lid compartments on mine contain various kanthal's, wicking materials, new and used clearo coils, straight nail clippers, (from various vendors) as well as a few drill bits, (also from makro).

In the tray inside I have various screw driver, torx and allen key drivers, more drill bits, various spacers/beauty rings, adapters, long nose pliers, straight and bent and mini side cutters, (tools also mostly from makro).

In the bottom I have an ohm meter as well as larger spools of kanthal and anything else that wont fit in the smaller compartments. My USB cables and 18650 charger occasionally take up residence there, but usually spend most of their time plugged in in the lounge where I can see them, charging something. :D

Its not quite as neat as the one in the original post but it works for my uses and at least one other person seems to think the same, and you cant beat the price. Give one of these a look, it may work for you too, you can also find many of the tools you need at Makro.

They also make the same thing in a larger size (50cm), if I recall correctly, should you require a little more space.

Thanks @Arctus, that is most helpful!
That box looks very useful and just the right size for a mobile coil building and vape box

Nice idea. Lately I've been using the case that my old VTR came in, which seems to fit all the basics nicely.

Thats the same toolbox I use for my vape stuff.

I am using a cosmetic case
83d186920d67b31dfcb15c5e07df8306.jpg

14ada63a80c3cad04ee9fd63127f804b.jpg

If it is of any consolation, or if someone is looking for international military grade cases for their loved ones - PV :p
the type that you can drive over, bury, leave in 12" of snow for a month and no matter what the contents are, they're safe.
No moisture or humidity change etc.
and every pro engineer or technician of any industry/field I have ever met, has for their most expensive/valuable gear:
http://www.explorercases.com/en/products/small_cases/
These are just the small cases though...their entire product line is impressive (if cases can do it for you :-D )
And if you order/buy one with the foam in...the base-foam is perforated/sectioned into little squares, so that you can easily tear out pieces to fit the shape the gear.

The SA distributors/resellers are:
http://www.stageaudioworks.com/contact-us/

Don't know exact pricing off-hand but I can get, if there is any interest? (Vendor "Pro kits")
And If there's a mass/bulk order interest, I could maybe even abuse dealer discounts I can access :think:
...or at minimum help establish contact

I saw a similar case at the Drifters outdoor shop in Sandton City a while back
- they had similar cases to that Explorer one @Rob Fisher posted above

I cannot remember the brand name, but they were imported and of very good quality.
It's quite a well known name in cases I think - I just can't remember the name.
I think it was Pelican.

They were yellow and made of a hard outer shell and came with the foam blocks - also perforated, so you could reshape it how you wanted it. Pity was they did not sell spare foam blocks in the shop.

They had all sizes from small (to fit say one or two cell phones) right up to very large ones that were almost a meter wide.

But they were pricey. The mid-sized ones were about R1,500 if I recall correctly.

I came close to getting one - but am glad I didn't. I seldom need to travel with all my mods - and I think these are more for when you need to check them into a plane's luggage hold or to protect them if you are carting them around and they may be handled roughly.

When I travel, I want to use my gear while I am on the move. And my gear is generally with me. I found much joy from an old (smallish) LowePro camera bag, which comfortably fits 3 Reos and two tube mods - and still closes quite nicely - while giving easy access - yet still soft inside to protect the mods. I see these bags cost about R300-R400 at any good camera shop.

I saw a similar case at the Drifters outdoor shop in Sandton City a while back
- they had similar cases to that Explorer one @Rob Fisher posted above

Thanks Hi Ho @Silver! I just need one that I can have cut to shape for my REO's and my Toolkit for travel to and from the JHB Vape Meets! :rock:

I got a really nice quality man bag for Xmas from Anthea that handles my daily travel requirements...

Thanks Hi Ho @Silver! I just need one that I can have cut to shape for my REO's and my Toolkit for travel to and from the JHB Vape Meets! :rock:

I got a really nice quality man bag for Xmas from Anthea that handles my daily travel requirements...

Lol @Rob Fisher - I forgot about the trek you always diligently make to come meet us every few months.
I suppose at the rate you are going, you will need a trailer soon for the vape gear and menthol ice supplies.
And then I can fully understand a hard case for the gear - to stop anything getting scratched

Saw that man bag from Anthea - looks nice - am curious to see how it fares in the field.

I do think multiple storage devices are needed: one for the in-use devices with easy access, and another for the rebuilding/tools/spares/etc - for which a case or toolbox is better suited.

For in-use devices, I have been thinking of modified gun holsters or utility belts...I think it would be a great way of carrying around mods while still leaving your hands free but the devices easily accessible. Has anyone seen something like that around?

Lol @Rob Fisher - I forgot about the trek you always diligently make to come meet us every few months.
I suppose at the rate you are going, you will need a trailer soon for the vape gear and menthol ice supplies.
And then I can fully understand a hard case for the gear - to stop anything getting scratched

Saw that man bag from Anthea - looks nice - am curious to see how it fares in the field.

Yip one hard case for the girls and the full tool kit and then Man Bag just like my mate Hi Ho for day to day...

I always wear shorts and a t-shirt and putting a spare battery, a REO, my keys and my iPhone 6+ in my pockets my pants keep falling down and the chicks keep mobbing me and I can't keep up at my age... The man bag took it first test driver yesterday and it did pretty well... there is a nice pocket in the front that fits the 6+ perfectly... a flap pocket for two REO's side by side... then a wallet section for money and credit cards... and then the bigger compartment in the middle that takes my keys, a tube mod with an Atlantis on top, spare batteries, a small toolkit in case I need a new wick which hasn't happened in a very long time but just in case and some juice!

The test drive went pretty well! ;-)

I do think multiple storage devices are needed: one for the in-use devices with easy access, and another for the rebuilding/tools/spares/etc - for which a case or toolbox is better suited.

For in-use devices, I have been thinking of modified gun holsters or utility belts...I think it would be a great way of carrying around mods while still leaving your hands free but the devices easily accessible. Has anyone seen something like that around?

Its funny you mention that @free3dom - I was thinking the same thing - but for one purpose - when at a vape meet.
At a vape meet, I like to bring a few devices - say 3 or 4 of them - but I am always walking around so its not easy to hold them all and carrying them around in a bag is also not ideal. They need to be on tap all the time.

Some sort of vaping holster belt or I suppose even cargo pants with lots of pockets is in order...

When I go out to visit friends or for meetings - I usually take 2 devices. One of them goes in my man bag - the other in my hand - which usually stays in the car as backup - so no problems there

But at vape meets - it's another story altogether...

We need a vaping holster belt - I was thinking of those material (cordura?) ones - and then someone with sowing skills can add on a few attachments so you can have tubes or boxes - and say 4 of them - easily at hand... that would be super - and I think I would buy one immediately if something like that existed.

Another idea for that - I noticed that my cover of my LedLenser torch has a belt loop on it - that would be perfect for a tube mod. It's rugged. And I suppose those compact camera cases that have belt loops would work well too for the box mods. So perhaps all one needs is a normal sturdy belt with a few of these attachments on them.

I suppose I would look like inspector gadget - but at a vape meet - that is perfectly acceptable ;-)

Yip one hard case for the girls and the full tool kit and then Man Bag just like my mate Hi Ho for day to day...

I always wear shorts and a t-shirt and putting a spare battery, a REO, my keys and my iPhone 6+ in my pockets my pants keep falling down and the chicks keep mobbing me and I can't keep up at my age... The man bag took it first test driver yesterday and it did pretty well... there is a nice pocket in the front that fits the 6+ perfectly... a flap pocket for two REO's side by side... then a wallet section for money and credit cards... and then the bigger compartment in the middle that takes my keys, a tube mod with an Atlantis on top, spare batteries, a small toolkit in case I need a new wick which hasn't happened in a very long time but just in case and some juice!

The test drive went pretty well! ;-)

@Rob Fisher - that bag actually sounds PERFECT for you!
Congrats

We need to see a photo of it when you next have it fully packed and ready to go!

We need to see a photo of it when you next have it fully packed and ready to go!

@Silver your wish is my command! ;-)

The little eFest battery cases are neat to handle batteries... and the other one is for juice and wick! ;-)

That open zip fits the iPhone 6 like a glove!
ManBag 006.JPG
Credit cards, pen, tweezers cash and space for some other crap which I haven't decided what to put there...
ManBag 009.JPG

@Silver your wish is my command! ;-)

The little eFest battery cases are neat to handle batteries... and the other one is for juice and wick! ;-)

That open zip fits the iPhone 6 like a glove!
View attachment 18282
Credit cards, pen, tweezers cash and space for some other crap which I haven't decided what to put there...
View attachment 18283

Really cool man bag Rob - mine is starting to get nervous....
Yours looks so cool - space for everything.

Its funny you mention that @free3dom - I was thinking the same thing - but for one purpose - when at a vape meet.
At a vape meet, I like to bring a few devices - say 3 or 4 of them - but I am always walking around so its not easy to hold them all and carrying them around in a bag is also not ideal. They need to be on tap all the time.

Some sort of vaping holster belt or I suppose even cargo pants with lots of pockets is in order...

When I go out to visit friends or for meetings - I usually take 2 devices. One of them goes in my man bag - the other in my hand - which usually stays in the car as backup - so no problems there

But at vape meets - it's another story altogether...

We need a vaping holster belt - I was thinking of those material (cordura?) ones - and then someone with sowing skills can add on a few attachments so you can have tubes or boxes - and say 4 of them - easily at hand... that would be super - and I think I would buy one immediately if something like that existed.

Another idea for that - I noticed that my cover of my LedLenser torch has a belt loop on it - that would be perfect for a tube mod. It's rugged. And I suppose those compact camera cases that have belt loops would work well too for the box mods. So perhaps all one needs is a normal sturdy belt with a few of these attachments on them.

I suppose I would look like inspector gadget - but at a vape meet - that is perfectly acceptable ;-)

Some awesome ideas here, as usual :clap:

I hadn't even thought of compact camera cases...now I have something to go check out next time I'm in the shops :wasntme:
I think I'm going to go spend a day in Makro (after the holiday rush) and look at everything that can be attached to a belt :D

Still I think if anyone on here is feeling enterprising (hint hint) and has some sewing skills (or knows someone with said skills), these would probably be a gigantic hit in the vaping community. Especially if they were customizable - a base belt with snap-on pouches in varying sizes for box mods, tube mods, reos ;), juice bottles, batteries, tweezers, etc.

Go go gadget :rofl::rofl::rofl:

@Rob Fisher that man bag looks awesome, and very stylish :rock:

Some awesome ideas here, as usual :clap:

I hadn't even thought of compact camera cases...now I have something to go check out next time I'm in the shops :wasntme:
I think I'm going to go spend a day in Makro (after the holiday rush) and look at everything that can be attached to a belt :D

Still I think if anyone on here is feeling enterprising (hint hint) and has some sewing skills (or knows someone with said skills), these would probably be a gigantic hit in the vaping community. Especially if they were customizable - a base belt with snap-on pouches in varying sizes for box mods, tube mods, reos ;), juice bottles, batteries, tweezers, etc.

Go go gadget :rofl::rofl::rofl:

@Rob Fisher that man bag looks awesome, and very stylish :rock:

Let us know if you find anything
This needs to be an ongoing group effort ;-)

Back