Vaping With Diabetes

BumbleBee

Vaping Master
VIP
LV

Awards
I have been asked a few times by Diabetics if vaping is safe. Can anyone shed some light on this for us? I know @Alex will find us the relevant articles but perhaps there are some forum members with first hand experience that wouldn't mind sharing their experiences on how vaping affects them?

I am diabetic. Type 2. And it really works for me especially the health benefits part of vaping and all the bad stuff I used to take in with smoking!

The very last thing a diabetic should be doing is smoking! :eek:

I have been asked a few times by Diabetics if vaping is safe. Can anyone shed some light on this for us? I know @Alex will find us the relevant articles but perhaps there are some forum members with first hand experience that wouldn't mind sharing their experiences on how vaping affects them?
I would also like some info on this please. :)

It's probably the main reason I needed to give up stinkies... apart from a nagging wife that is!

I am diabetic. Type 2. And it really works for me especially the health benefits part of vaping and all the bad stuff I used to take in with smoking!

The very last thing a diabetic should be doing is smoking! :eek:
Are there any juices you need to avoid?

http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2012/08/diabetes-e-cigarettes.html

I’ve had lots of questions about diabetes and electronic cigarettes, but not being a medical professional I’ve always been reluctant to share my opinions.
Fortunately for us, diabetes expert and author Sue Marshall kindly agreed to answer some of our questions.
Sue Marshall has had Type 1 diabetes since 1972. Following a career in journalism, she set up Desang, an online resource for people with diabetes, and is the author of Diabetes: The Essential Guide (Need2Know books).
James: What effect does smoking cigarettes have on people who have diabetes?
Sue: If you’re diabetic and you smoke, then you are doing double jeopardy. Diabetes alone is a huge strain upon your body, your heart and circulatory system in particular. To then put smoking on top of that, with its direct affect on lungs, heart and circulatory system really is just asking for trouble.
However, a diagnosis of diabetes does not shield you from the usual addictions that the rest of society may be tempted by at some stage or another. But if you do smoke and get diagnosed with diabetes, you could use that as your start point for giving up. And if you already have diabetes, steer away from smoking. It really isn’t at all good for you.
James: Why is smoking cigarettes worse for people with diabetes than people without diabetes?
Sue: Smoking is bad for anyone, but as mentioned, the body of someone who has diabetes is already under more strain than that of a non-diabetic. Adding smoking to the mix means twice as much strain, and the potential for twice as much damage.
James: In your opinion, would people with diabetes who can’t or don’t want to quit be better off switching to electronic cigarettes?
Sue: Electronic cigarettes may sound silly, but as an alternative to smoking, they should not be dismissed out of hand. The sheer habit of smoking and the need to ‘do something with my hands’ can be mimicked with these tools. They actually look like they burn red and produce smoke, although they can feel a little bit different from your normal ciggie. You get most of the familiar feel and action, but without the damage to your body that real cigarettes promise.
A diabetic who is struggling to give up can give themselves a helping hand by at least giving one of these a go. You’ve got nothing to lose and a lot to gain. If it suits you, it can mean that you can also stop smoking tobacco cigarettes without having to have lots of conversations about it – to everyone else, it will look like you still are smoking. Meanwhile, you are showing yourself that you are not as reliant on those cancer sticks as you thought you were.
James: Would there be a difference depending on the type of Diabetes?
Sue: No matter which type of diabetes you have been diagnosed with, you should be looking at giving up smoking or switching to an alternative, and the sooner the better. While the root causes of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are different, a treatment varies from person to person, the condition is one that increases your chances of heart disease and circulation-related problems, especially in relation to foot health. If you have Type 2 specifically because of weight issues, then smoking is again the addition of an extremely negative factor in your ongoing health, or attempt to improve your health.
James: Are the sugar flavourings in electronic cigarette flavours (inhaled not ingested) likely to affect people with diabetes?
Sue: While some of the sugars in the replacement electronic cigarettes could possibly affect your blood sugars, they are in very low concentrations, so in the big picture — so long as you are not chain-smoking — they should not affect your blood sugar levels. Giving up smoking may not have a direct reflection in your diabetes control – in many ways you need to watch out for increasing the number of snacks you have when you would previously have had a cigarette. But giving up or switching to e-cigs will improve your health. Your body can rejuvenate and you will feel better for it. And if you can’t give up completely, consider using electronic cigarettes!

Thanks both @Rob Fisher and @Andre , This has been on my mind for a while now. Not concerned too much about glycerine, it is almost inert. Some juices are very 'sugary' though. It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who monitors their insulin levels.

Co-worker of mine (smoker) did not want to try our e-cigs at all, he was not against it per se, just 'not for me' he used to say.

Last week he approached me and said the doc told him he has to give up smoking because his blood sugar is dangerously high and that he asked the doc about e-cigs - to which the doc said - perfect.

So he's been vaping about a week and a half now, testing his blood sugar every day and it seems that vaping (along with some diet changes) has been steadily dropping his sugar levels a little bit each day.

Now the problem is that he is vaping way more than he used to smoke, because it tastes so much better :)

I am type 2 diabetic and on metformin and recently on insulin.

There was a time a time, soon after vaping full time, that my blood sugars levels were very high. i got worried and started testing regularly, before vaping, immediately after vaping, an hour after vaping, for the entire weekend and noticed no difference in blood sugar levels. I must have tested myself over 30 times that weekend. Went through different types of juices from fruit to desert to tobacco and in different strengths.

Found out after some tests that I needed to be on insulin and vaping had no effect on my levels.

I am type 2 diabetic and on metformin and recently on insulin.

There was a time a time, soon after vaping full time, that my blood sugars levels were very high. i got worried and started testing regularly, before vaping, immediately after vaping, an hour after vaping, for the entire weekend and noticed no difference in blood sugar levels. I must have tested myself over 30 times that weekend. Went through different types of juices from fruit to desert to tobacco and in different strengths.

Found out after some tests that I needed to be on insulin and vaping had no effect on my levels.

That's awesome - by the way, those insulin carry cases you get are perfect for your vape gear and some juices :)

Co-worker of mine (smoker) did not want to try our e-cigs at all, he was not against it per se, just 'not for me' he used to say.

Last week he approached me and said the doc told him he has to give up smoking because his blood sugar is dangerously high and that he asked the doc about e-cigs - to which the doc said - perfect.

So he's been vaping about a week and a half now, testing his blood sugar every day and it seems that vaping (along with some diet changes) has been steadily dropping his sugar levels a little bit each day.

Now the problem is that he is vaping way more than he used to smoke, because it tastes so much better :)
Tell him to vape ONLY premium juice... he will cut back quick. Lol

haha - well, told him to increase the nic level, then it should reduce as well - soon as you get in too much nic, the vape crave will drop as well
Agreed. He just has to find his sweet spot.

PG breaks down into lactic acid and apparently VG (glycerin) could or should have glycemic properties, just some random info.

Logic time... If you are a seriously heavy sub ohming steam machine you could probable consume 5-10ml e-liquid per day, of which maybe 2-3ml of that is actually absorbed by your body over the course of an entire day I seriously doubt that it will have any noticeable effect on your blood sugar level nor will you feel all stiff from the lactic acid.

This message was brought to you by "NOT a Doctor"

Wow, thanks for all the input guys, already plenty useful info here :)

kom pappa vertel julle nou mooi----

i am diabetic (no injections, just the basic pill) and have been banting and vaping for four months due to being diagnosed with diabetes. I stopped drinking my meds in the first month and have had no side effects. banting changed the way my body is reacting to sugars, and the vaping offers me better lung capacity and ha restored my aufaculary senses. banting saved me, and vaping whirling dervish or any other 'baked' goods have been keeping me on the banting band wagon.

so for me the two go hand in hand.

the sweetness in e-juice comes from stevia - which is a sugar substitute... so no diabetic will pass out from a lung hit of sweet cinnamon apple crumble pie and strawberry cream.

#wiesjoupappa

Last edited:
I have been banting for a few months and I'm getting to hate it... my wife and one daughter have embraced it to the n'th degree and anything on the red list is a KILLER! :-@

I have been banting for a few months and I'm getting to hate it... my wife and one daughter have embraced it to the n'th degree and anything on the red list is a KILLER! :-@

If I die it will because I ate a pea by mistake... they are on the red or orange list! Peas!!! Yes a pea will cause my sugar to SPIKE!!!! Sheeezzz! :-@

Back