What do you think is a fair retail price for $21/22 juice?

capetocuba

Variable Vaper
LV

Awards
Ok guys, so we are awash with new premium juice mainly out of the USA. Prices seem to vary considerably from R260.00 right up to R350.00 per 30ml bottle. The most expensive is almost 35% more than the cheapest. I can vape easily 15ml on a good day. Multiply that difference i.e. 30 days x R45.00 (I get this figure by dividing the R90.00 by 2) = R1350.00 per month.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

So this R1350 is the difference per month between the cheapest and the most expensive?

What price are you planning to sell your juice for?

What price are you planning to sell your juice for?
I am not bringing in any juice. I am always on the lookout for new flavours here locally and see quite a price difference for juice that sells for the same price in USA. Actually there's even a top premium (Nicoticket) 30ml juice retailing here for R220.00.

I am not bringing in any juice. I am always on the lookout for new flavours here locally and see quite a price difference for juice that sells for the same price in USA. Actually there's even a top premium (Nicoticket) 30ml juice retailing here for R220.00.
Aaaa I see. Misunderstood then. But if you are referring to some guys charging way to much I agree

I would say a fair retail price for imported premium juices is around the R250-R270 mark which quite a few smaller retailers in SA manage to do np. Being that majority of the premium juices are retailing for $18-$24 overseas. I've seen some local retailers selling $22-00 juice for R350-00 which is madness.

My approach to buying imported flavors locally is, will it cost me more to import them myself with shipping and customs included.

I import TONS of grants vanilla custard 100ml bottles for myself, which works out to around R750 a bottle with DHL shipping and customs

Last edited:
Some of the juices are actually well within their price range.

Take ANML for example. Its a hand crafted High Premium Juice.

Before it was brought in by Cloud Flavour. I did some research to try and bring it in myself.
The prices worked out that I would be saving roughly R30 on a bottle.
With all the schlep of order, shipping, customs, etc. It doesn't really seem worth it.

So even with them ordering at wholesale. They actually not making much on this line.
Take into account all the costs carried. Its actually not that bad a price for the liquid.

Its still freaking expensive. I agree. But so is a Ferrari....

Other ones I wouldn't know as I didn't have any interest in those. I was wanting Looper and Carnage.

Just my 2c.

I think it is really expensive for a bottle of juice.
For one bottle it will be $22, but if you buy 3 at once it moves down to $18.
Now, if you have wholesale discount. How much does one pay for 50 bottles plus.
anml.jpg

Just as an example.

I went ahead quickly and added 2 bottles of Looper to my cart and used the cheapest shipping method to SA.

So this means its anything between 2 weeks and a month to wait for it to arrive.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-18%20at%201.44.12%20PM_zpsvi4eyjs4.png

Converted to Rands (www.xe.com/ucc), that works out to:
R692.32

That means that per bottle I am paying R346.16

So I get to save R3.84

Of which I still haven't received the liquids and I will be slapped with customs when it arrives.
I highly doubt that i will pay less than R7.68 tax.

Easier just to pay the R10 more and buy it locally without all the hassles.

My advice is this:
Do your research. If you can import it for yourself at a cheaper price. By all means. go ahead.
I would do the same.

If it works out to be the same price, then just pick it up locally and save yourself the hassles.

I think it is really expensive for a bottle of juice.
For one bottle it will be $22, but if you buy 3 at once it moves down to $18.
Now, if you have wholesale discount. How much does one pay for 50 bottles plus.
View attachment 21631
This is madness. If you save so much on a 3 pac then yes. What are the retailers paying bringing them in bulk? I think we are getting murdered a bit.

This is madness. If you save so much on a 3 pac then yes. What are the retailers paying bringing them in bulk? I think we are getting murdered a bit.

I think you are completely missing the point.

Look at it as if you're in the USA.

Even there the price point matches what we get them at in SA.
And they don't have customs fee's and all that jazz to pay. They are sending it out locally to their local market at the same price we paying for it all the way here in little old SA.

And even if you order 50 bottles. that doesn't mean you are paying $5 per bottle.
At best you'd probably get it at around $15 to $16.
So yes, there is a little bit of a saving. But then you forgetting the whole point again. What about shipping and customs?

Hey all,

I was waiting for this troll thread lol

Cool so basically i thought i would explain how currently we have setup our business model and maby also let you know that we are looking into how we can get better pricing/improve our model for all juices in the future! We at Cloud Flavour import the juice paying wholesale pricing then we include a small fee (admin costs \import costs customs etc) which is added to the price which then gets sold to Vape King Who then has to sell the juice at a certain margin to maintain staff and other expenses so that they can run there business successfully. Its easy/cheaper for some people who have the time to do group buys and are also willing to go through SAPO if they allow it. The idea with this current model is to all us to import juice without offering people Pre order options so that basically they will be able to get some of the best juice out there if they willing to purchase it at a higher margin and also as quickly as possible. I am well aware that this model we using is new and we are working very hard our side to improve it and hopefully things will get better and other factors such as high taxes on e-liquid wont be introduced in the future! I can assure you that we will do all in our power to try improve this and welcome anyone whom may have some ideas to PM me as most of you all know that we are here to help and improve the community and in most cases try and keep it as positive and fun as possible!

Please take into account in SA e-liquid gets taxed 30%

Hi @Paulie I started this thread to get everyone's views and in no way had troll in my mind. That being said your new business model as you have stated is simply put 2 margins, which will always lead to a higher price point? Actually if you include the VK agents there are now 3 people eating off the cookie?

I really hope your prices do come down as I can't justify (in my head) R350.00 :)

Hi @Paulie I started this thread to get everyone's views and in no way had troll in my mind. That being said your new business model as you have stated is simply put 2 margins, which will always lead to a higher price point?

I really hope your prices do come down as I can't justify (in my head) R350.00 :)

You are quite correct that there are 2 margins but if you look at @Zodd post on buying it direct our margins are very low and i can assure you that we are making very little on the juices. However i am working on getting them better and will continue to but its not easy man.

Unfortunately, in international e-liquid margins are not very good. Ask any retailer. Customs as of this year has nailed importing of e-liquid hard and also most american international manufacturers refuse to label them as essential oils etc. Americans have business ethics that they do not cross, so we get hit that.

Please explain :
Vendor X sells 30ml of imported liquid @ R300
Vendor Y sells the exact same brand and flavour for R289
and Vendor Z sells yet the same juice for R260 and still makes a profit for himself?

It reminds me of a bigger online store war on MyBroadband...

for 1TB 2.5" drive Takealot charges R997 and free shipping, DionWired charges R1299 and R100 shipping for the exact same product.

Why you may ask? Simply because they can? No Dion Wired needs to pay rent for all their over styled porcelain tiled shops, Takealot doesnt.

Yet again someone is going to grill me for comparing Vape shops to retail chains, but the concept stays the same... Big vendors with walk in shops have rent and salaries to pay, so they will charge more than Piet Pompies importing juice and selling them from his garage... Ill buy from Piet rather as he is cheaper, and no other reason.

Eish, looks like my return to the forum have attracted me to all the heated threads... :(

Have read through the thread and see no heated arguments or anyone getting personal, which is great. Only valid points all around. And if someone disagrees with your point(s), do not feel offended. What a boring world it would be if we all agreed on everything.

My point of view: If the juice is one of my five star ADVs I am prepared to pay a margin to a local vendor for his/her trouble and risk. If it becomes too expensive for my pocket I will import it myself for as long as it is possible and cheaper. If another vendor offers the same juice at a lower price I shall buy it from that vendor unless I have built up a long term relationship with the first vendor and his/her more expensive price is not preposterous.
And I never buy an expensive juice unless I have researched it well and am fairly certain it will suit my taste profile. Of course, one does slip up every now and then:D.

Last edited:
I got pretty irate once, when my favourite juice kept jumping up R20 or so everytime I wanted to refil (not linked to any exchange rate fluctuation).

Anyway, I argued my points when a similar thread popped up.

I got the distinct feeling members who strongly support the particular retailer didn't like anyone challenging their beloved retailer. And I got the "you don't have to buy it..." Etc.

... so I haven't touched the juice again, and I'm still well and kicking. So is the retailer.

Nowadays it's simple for me.
It's not a question of "What price you think is fair retail price for $21 juice."

It's more of a case of what I am WILLING to pay.

I got pretty irate once, when my favourite juice kept jumping up R20 or so everytime I wanted to refil (not linked to any exchange rate fluctuation).

Anyway, I argued my points when a similar thread popped up.

I got the distinct feeling members who strongly support the particular retailer didn't like anyone challenging their beloved retailer. And I got the "you don't have to buy it..." Etc.

... so I haven't touched the juice again, and I'm still well and kicking. So is the retailer.

Nowadays it's simple for me.
It's not a question of "What price you think is fair retail price for $21 juice."

It's more of a case of what I am WILLING to pay.

I agree with you 100% almost starts feeling like an easy money story(I'm not saying that is what is happening). Obviously vendors won't do it free of charge and that is 100% understandable. The big question in mind is how can one vendor sell juice x for R260 and another vendor sells juice x for R289? I know its only R29 difference but if you buy 10x bottles you save R290(another bottle and small change)
It just feels like someone is being screwed somewhere. Maybe the re-sellers are buying from a more expensive place? Who knows?

I agree with you 100% almost starts feeling like an easy money story(I'm not saying that is what is happening). Obviously vendors won't do it free of charge and that is 100% understandable. The big question in mind is how can one vendor sell juice x for R260 and another vendor sells juice x for R289? I know its only R29 difference but if you buy 10x bottles you save R290(another bottle and small change)
It just feels like someone is being screwed somewhere. Maybe the re-sellers are buying from a more expensive place? Who knows?

No look I understand that there could be a bunch of variables effecting pricing etc.

But in all honesty, that does not make me more understanding. I just move on.

Swings and Roundabouts. Often things are cheaper on specific items to attract people, who end up buying other things.

Back