What I have learned about DIY e-liquid making, so far

@Daniel , the snag with eJuice Me Up is also that it does not save the settings as a default seperate to the saved recipes.
Once you set the grams initially as @RichJB explained, save it as part of the default setting for when next you enter a recipe from scratch - Use File -> Save As Default (Ctrl-D) and overwrite the Default.dft file in the location where it was installed.
You'll unfortunately also have to redo the setting of weights every time for every existing recipe you open and will need to save them again to retain the weights.

Juice Calculator on the other hand has a very nice interface (once you figure it out) for ingredients and manufacturers, and saves the weight with the ingredient. It will also default the weights for you when you add a new one, and has the ability to check and keep track of your stock.

@Daniel , the snag with eJuice Me Up is also that it does not save the settings as a default seperate to the saved recipes.
Once you set the grams initially as @RichJB explained, save it as part of the default setting for when next you enter a recipe from scratch - Use File -> Save As Default (Ctrl-D) and overwrite the Default.dft file in the location where it was installed.
You'll unfortunately also have to redo the setting of weights every time for every existing recipe you open and will need to save them again to retain the weights.

Juice Calculator on the other hand has a very nice interface (once you figure it out) for ingredients and manufacturers, and saves the weight with the ingredient. It will also default the weights for you when you add a new one, and has the ability to check and keep track of your stock.

@shaunnadan was telling me this morning about the merits of using ELR as a recipe system.
I.e. cloud based and all the weights programmed in already etc.

Does anyone use it and how do you find it compared to eJuice me up?

I have yet to use either because I am a DIY noob ;-)

ELR is a decent recipe app. I only used it very briefly but I think it's probably better than eJuice Me Up. I prefer to have recipes on my PC, though, so the DIY Juice Calc that @Kuhlkatz linked is my app of choice. It's a nightmare to set up but once you have it up and running, it's very powerful.

@shaunnadan was telling me this morning about the merits of using ELR as a recipe system.

ELR it is then work in IT so the last thing I want is another program that's problematic when I get home....

I also use the Juice Calculator on my PC. It has a backup function too. ELR I only use to also list my juice stash for research purposes.

I only used ELR from the beginning. Very happy with the site. I have my first 44 recipes safely saved there under my profile. Very user friendly site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only used ELR from the beginning. Very happy with the site. I have my first 44 recipes safely saved there under my profile. Very user friendly site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He... my first 50 recipes were so bad I am happy they are not online for any person to accidentally make. Ever. One tastes like curry powder still dont know how that happened.

@Silver can you please branch this post to a new thread.

What would you guys like to see in a android app for juice making. I currently have a week off and might make an app for you guys if I get some meaningful suggestions.

Also, I won't make a wishy washy app if no decent suggestions come from this or if over 50% of you guys want an apple app.
#JustSaying

What would you guys like to see in a android app for juice making. I currently have a week off and might make an app for you guys if I get some meaningful suggestions.

Also, I won't make a wishy washy app if no decent suggestions come from this or if over 50% of you guys want an apple app.
#JustSaying

Feel free to make a new thread @Christos with a suitable title

I use ELR. I prefer cloud-based platforms so I can pull a recipe up on my tab/phone/computer when I'm mixing. It's user-friendly and I've saved all my recipes as private so only I can see them. Granted, I'm not making my own recipes yet, just modifying existing highly rated recipes to my volume and nic level.
It also has a great flavour stash section where it will tell you what you can mix with your existing concentrates, but I don't use it yet.

#JustSaying
Ine feature I would LOVE is to enter my flavor stash including amounts in ml and then have the app help watch my stash for me. Lets say I am heading for my last 3ml of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, I get a notification. Only today I am having to find a work around for my empty bottle of TFA Strawberry.

I have a spreadsheet that I have spent way too much time creating when I mix. It Keeps all my recipes, tracks how much of what I have used and even keeps track of what I still have left in my concentrate bottles. It's a little bit of work to maintain when mixing but at least I don't get into the situation of realizing i only have 3ml of something left when I need 6ml half way through a mix

DIY Juice Calculator has a "stock used/left" function afaik but I don't use it. When I decide to mix, I eyeball the levels of all flavours used and make a rough judgement call on whether I'll have enough or not. It hasn't let me down yet, touch wood.

Hi Fellow vapers, I do not know if this is the correct thread to ask this but I am struggling to find a more applicable thread. I am looking into DIYing my e-liquid and I'm placing an order on Monday (when they open). I have assembled a cart based on mixing by weight. It would mean the world to me if someone could have a look and give me some criticism or advice.

Background info:
* I am looking at mixing VG: PG at 70:30 unless otherwise stated by recipes
* All flavours chosen are based on recipes I intend to start on
* I am planning on bottling the nic solution in to 30ml dropper bottles and storing them upright in the freezer.
* I am planning on making 10ml batches to test and practice before going on to larger mixes
* Most of my recipes come from the econimic section of this post- http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/a-beginners-guide-to-making-the-most-highly-rated-recipes/83612

My Cart

http://blckvapour.co.za/apps/cart-loader?cff_crt=d2380915ef637e8780cd7c9b84ee771a

Thank you to all taking time out of your day to assist.

Hi Fellow vapers, I do not know if this is the correct thread to ask this but I am struggling to find a more applicable thread. I am looking into DIYing my e-liquid and I'm placing an order on Monday (when they open). I have assembled a cart based on mixing by weight. It would mean the world to me if someone could have a look and give me some criticism or advice.

Background info:
* I am looking at mixing VG: PG at 70:30 unless otherwise stated by recipes
* All flavours chosen are based on recipes I intend to start on
* I am planning on bottling the nic solution in to 30ml dropper bottles and storing them upright in the freezer.
* I am planning on making 10ml batches to test and practice before going on to larger mixes
* Most of my recipes come from the econimic section of this post- http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/a-beginners-guide-to-making-the-most-highly-rated-recipes/83612

My Cart

http://blckvapour.co.za/apps/cart-loader?cff_crt=d2380915ef637e8780cd7c9b84ee771a

Thank you to all taking time out of your day to assist.
Looks perfect. Those recipes are mostly sweet, which is perfect if that is your taste. You do not need all those syringes and needles. Have fun.

Looks perfect. Those recipes are mostly sweet, which is perfect if that is your taste. You do not need all those syringes and needles. Have fun.
I am very much into the dessert flavours even though I have realized that they have to be steeped for longer (I will have to test my patience with that though). I am unsure of which flavours come in easy squeeze bottles thus the syringes and needles, will lessen up on them, thank you :)

Looks great, @Bunnypoison, those are excellent flavours to get you started. You won't need syringes, all of Blck's flavours come in 10ml HDPE dropper bottles. Rather than decanting nic into glass dropper bottles, I would rather get 2x50ml PET bottles with nozzles. It will be easier to dispense nic with the squeeze PET bottle than with a glass dropper imo. But that is personal choice, some like their nic stored in glass.

Will you be mixing directly into the 10ml plastic dropper bottles or mixing in glass, steeping, then decanting into the 10ml bottles? If it's the latter, you will need something to aid the decanting process. You can use a larger syringe for that but I prefer to use a funnel. The trick is to find one with a spout thin enough to fit into the neck of a 10ml dropper bottle.

A final note that I think you have too many 10ml dropper bottles and not enough larger ones. You will quickly decide if a juice is to your liking or not. For those you like, you will find that you want to mix 30ml or more of it at a time. I would just have five 10ml bottles or so for test batches, then ten of 30ml and the final five of 50ml.

Looks great, @Bunnypoison, those are excellent flavours to get you started. You won't need syringes, all of Blck's flavours come in 10ml HDPE dropper bottles. Rather than decanting nic into glass dropper bottles, I would rather get 2x50ml PET bottles with nozzles. It will be easier to dispense nic with the squeeze PET bottle than with a glass dropper imo. But that is personal choice, some like their nic stored in glass.

Will you be mixing directly into the 10ml plastic dropper bottles or mixing in glass, steeping, then decanting into the 10ml bottles? If it's the latter, you will need something to aid the decanting process. You can use a larger syringe for that but I prefer to use a funnel. The trick is to find one with a spout thin enough to fit into the neck of a 10ml dropper bottle.

A final note that I think you have too many 10ml dropper bottles and not enough larger ones. You will quickly decide if a juice is to your liking or not. For those you like, you will find that you want to mix 30ml or more of it at a time. I would just have five 10ml bottles or so for test batches, then ten of 30ml and the final five of 50ml.

Hi RichJB, thank you very much for your response. Knowing that Blck's flavours come in dropper bottles is super useful info, thank you. I have heard that the nic and plastic do not go well together, this might then only be the case for 100mg nic I guess. I was previously contemplating getting extra pet bottles for that purpose and will do so now.

I am planning on mixing straight in to the bottles in order to minimize waste and effort ( I am a lazy one ). This is also why I decided to go by the weight instead of the volume, I know everyone has their preference but this seemed to be the quickest easiest and most precise method.

I will definitely adjust my dropper bottle order, it makes a lot of sense and I guess I hadn't actually thought about the fact that some juices might actually come out as a ADV success.

All of these tips were super useful and I shall aplly them, thanks again.

Man you DIY guys rock! With help like this available I think I might need to venture into DIY this year.

e I think I might need to venture into DIY this year.
I have to say that this community is fantastic! here is my updated cart if you would like to use it for reference as a starting point with all of the advise given. This is what I could narrow down to the minimal stuff needed to start :) (with an exeption of the needles and syringes, kept them for just in case I want to try volume mixing in the future)
http://blckvapour.co.za/apps/cart-loader?cff_crt=15978c0764b39b834862ff095c9c2a7f
If you do decide to do this, please share your experience, I will do the same and you can learn from my rookie mistakes. Oh, and the recipes to the ingredient in the cart
http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/a-beginners-guide-to-making-the-most-highly-rated-recipes/83612
The nice thing about this person's post is that most flavours are used in multiple recipes whit the exception of maybe two. This way you waste minimal amounts while experimenting. Good luck in your future ventures.

I have to say that this community is fantastic! here is my updated cart if you would like to use it for reference as a starting point with all of the advise given. This is what I could narrow down to the minimal stuff needed to start :) (with an exeption of the needles and syringes, kept them for just in case I want to try volume mixing in the future)
http://blckvapour.co.za/apps/cart-loader?cff_crt=15978c0764b39b834862ff095c9c2a7f
If you do decide to do this, please share your experience, I will do the same and you can learn from my rookie mistakes. Oh, and the recipes to the ingredient in the cart
http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/a-beginners-guide-to-making-the-most-highly-rated-recipes/83612
The nice thing about this person's post is that most flavours are used in multiple recipes whit the exception of maybe two. This way you waste minimal amounts while experimenting. Good luck in your future ventures.
Cool! And thank you for sharing this!

I hope you will also keep us updated on how your DIY adventure goes?

Hahahaha :rofl:, this cracked me up ! The way I justified it to myself is that in the long run, your wallet will thank you:aplastao:@Trimerion

Back