What I have learned about DIY e-liquid making, so far

At the risk of stealing someone else's catchphrase, (@craigb - sorry...)

The reason that the EM crystals were not dissolving in the 100ml batch like they did in the 50ml batch, was that I WASN'T SUPPOSED TO USE THE CRYSTALS! I SHOULD have used the made-up concentrate (1/4 teaspoon EM crystals in a 10ml bottle topped up with PG) like you're supposed to!

Wait a minute, you`re not supposed to mix the crystals directly into the mix?

I measured out the correct grams of EM according to the recipe and just dumped it straight into the bottle with the mix and let it sit. I noticed that the crystals accumulated on the bottom and after two days of mild shaking here and there they were still there. I then dumped the bottle into a cup of warm water for about 20 minutes and they dissolved into the mix.

Funnily enough that juice I made came out very nicely.

I measured out the correct grams of EM according to the recipe and just dumped it straight into the bottle with the mix and let it sit.

So 10% of what the recipe stated, i.e. if the recipe said 0.8g of EM, you put in 0.08g of crystals?

Wait a minute, you`re not supposed to mix the crystals directly into the mix?

I measured out the correct grams of EM according to the recipe and just dumped it straight into the bottle with the mix and let it sit. I noticed that the crystals accumulated on the bottom and after two days of mild shaking here and there they were still there. I then dumped the bottle into a cup of warm water for about 20 minutes and they dissolved into the mix.

Funnily enough that juice I made came out very nicely.

I'm hoping that this is what happens in my case. If my math is correct, I have 10 times as much EM in the juice as I'm supposed to have. (I used half a gram of PURE EM instead of half a gram of a 10% solution)

I'm hoping that this is what happens in my case. If my math is correct, I have 10 times as much EM in the juice as I'm supposed to have. (I used half a gram of PURE EM instead of half a gram of a 10% solution)

Apparently I also overdosed on the EM in my mix. Thankfully I have made only one recipe using EM, so there is hope for my future mixes.
Assuming this delicious Boston Cream Pie with 10x more EM than it should have doesn`t kill me first :)

If a factor 10 "overdose" of EM has no worse consequence than muted flavours, then I count myself one lucky SOB.

Thanks, @RichJB !

Well, I can't talk about what vaping undissolved EM crystals may do to your coils, or to your lungs should you inhale some. Although I think it would be too heavy to be carried in vapour and would probably settle as a black crust on your coils, or deposits in the bottom of your atty.

Not if you have a sweet tooth. :D Adding 10x the amount of EM required may also tend to mute the flavours a bit.
Surprisingly it is not so sweet at all, it is there but it works well with the cinnamon bun (which is also quite a strong flavour imo). There is a fair amount of gentle popping sometimes which adds some sweet drops on the lips.

Regarding DIY, I am in a bit of a weird twilight zone at the moment. I have made about 45 different juice recipes. I find that initIally, I love the juice and then a few days later I get sick of the flavor. This happens to all my juice. I only have about 3 juices that are really my favorite, but even these become boring.

So, I have mixed up some flavorless 80/20 VG/PG, 3mg and 6mg juice. When I get tired of a juice, I just vape the flavorless juice on a dripper until the original juice is completely muted.

It's almost like I have to reset my taste buds as all the juice taste boring or overbearing.

I have read that some people vape flavorless juice for a season. Has anyone experienced a similar thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tire of juices quickly. So I keep 20+ juices on my desk and just rotate. I rarely take more than ten puffs of a juice without switching to another. I have found that this not only averts vaper's tongue (your palate is constantly being hit from another angle and doesn't fall into a single-profile 'rut') but also extends the time I can vape on a juice before tiring of it.

I also feel like different juices at different times of the day. Coffee is really only a 'first thing in the morning' juice which I vape for half-an-hour and then switch. The constant changing also clears the palate of after-taste. I'm vaping a pineapple menthol atm which, as nice as it is, leaves a very strong taste on the palate. Even when I'm not vaping, I'm getting that strong tart pineapple taste. A couple of toots of a heavy sweet bakery, for eg, cuts that acidity and brings my mouth/palate back to the sort of neutral position I prefer.

Regarding strength of flavour, I feel that most juices (commercial and DIY) are over-flavoured. Whoever is making the juice, the goal is the same: to wow the first-time vaper with the first puff. We all want people to be blown away the moment they taste our juice or recipe. That is well and good but if it's a sickly sweet, very rich juice, it will pall quickly. I believe that as my DIY skills grow, I will gravitate towards juices that are under-flavoured, where the first-time vaper will just go "Huh?" when vaping it. But I think the juice will have greater longevity. You can eat plain bread all day long. Rich sweet desserts, fancy fizzy fruity drinks, meats with exotic creamy sauces... not so much.

Last edited:
Amen to that @RichJB - when 1'st started vaping, over flavoring was no problem due to stuffed taste buds. 6 Months down the line I had to dilute all my store bought juices with PG and VG - still practicing diluting same to this day.

I hope my battered palate from all my overbearing TFA DIY juices recovers. I think I erred by using high percentages of TFA flavour after reading that TFA is generally weak. I have really developed a problem guys. Most juice is making me feel quite ill. In future I will stick to exact recipes.

Tonight I mixed some 100 ml batches of 80/20 VG/PG, 3mg and 6mg Nic, with a very mild peppermint and some "Smooth" TFA. I am lying in bed catching up on some unread posts here, vaping almost flavourless juice with a tiny hint of peppermint, and for the first time in days, I am actually enjoying vaping again.

I hope my palate re sets soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope your palate recovers @Waine
Great idea you have to vape a mild peppermint juice. Sounds nice

Back