What I have learned about DIY e-liquid making, so far

Took the plunge, got 6 concentrates to start off. Havent got a scale so mixing by ml for now
Hey, I see you are in the East Rand, you are welcome to come and use my scale if you want, I also have some more concentrates you can use for smaller trials like 10ml batches.

View attachment 81802 View attachment 81803 Here are my current batches and how the recipes appear on the app.

Kreeds custard YUMMMMMMMMM. I am on my last fill of 250mils of that stuff, since I opened the first bottle I just couldn't put it away, until the whole damn batch was finished. No I'm sad AF cos if I do mix another batch i need to wait one and a half months before I can indulge again. I have tried many of those recipes on your list and you have some really good ones.

All the best with you mixes @Bunnypoison, I'm sure you will find at least one ADV in that bunch.

Last edited:
Kreeds custard YUMMMMMMMMM. I am on my last fill of 250mils of that stuff, since I opened the first bottle I just couldn't put it away, until the whole damn batch was finished. No I'm sad AF cos if I do mix another batch i need to wait two and a half months before I can indulge again. I have tried many of those recipes on your list and you have some really good ones.

All the best with you mixes @Bunnypoison, I'm sure you will find at least one ADV in that bunch.
Thank you for your input, Kreeds Kustard is taking too long to steep for me, I have 3 ADV's that I absolutely love. I even made 100ml for myself of Mother's Unicorn milk ( I wanted to do 50ml but I have no control, best decision yet ). The other two I highly recommend are Funfetti and Sucker Punch clone, they all need a steep of only 4 days to a week. I am sure once Kreeds Kustard reached its 4 week mark it would have developed well, cant wait to taste it in its full glory. If you come across a good recipe, please share, I would love to try some of the recommended blends you have.

Thank you for your input, Kreeds Kustard is taking too long to steep for me, I have 3 ADV's that I absolutely love. I even made 100ml for myself of Mother's Unicorn milk ( I wanted to do 50ml but I have no control, best decision yet ). The other two I highly recommend are Funfetti and Sucker Punch clone, they all need a steep of only 4 days to a week. I am sure once Kreeds Kustard reached its 4 week mark it would have developed well, cant wait to taste it in its full glory. If you come across a good recipe, please share, I would love to try some of the recommended blends you have.

I actually tried the Kreed's custard after 4 weeks and it was good, but I must admit after 6 weeks it really really shines. Those extra two weeks just smooth everything out and gives the custard a very nice creamy taste, so my advise is, if you can, leave it for the full 6 weeks and it will be glorious. I have mixed plenty of funfetti in the past and just taking a break from it at the moment as I usually mix about 250 mils at a time as I do enjoy it.

I havn't tried the sucker punch though, I opted for the Nana's cream to sample the dragon fruit and was good, I like the dragon fruit concentrate. after trying that I decided to mix up my own recipe using the left over banana cream, adding in some custard, Nonna's cake some sweet cream and a bit of cheesecake. Hopefully it turns out ok.

Recently I mixed up the kanzi clone recipe and peach berry pop, and for fruit juice mixes they were both very impressive, if you into that sort of thing. I also mixed some mike's melons and really enjoy it despite it only having 3 ingredients it, i.e. Papaya, Cantaloupe and mango. I will share the good ones I find with you if you promise to do the same;)

I actually tried the Kreed's custard after 4 weeks and it was good, but I must admit after 6 weeks it really really shines. Those extra two weeks just smooth everything out and gives the custard a very nice creamy taste, so my advise is, if you can, leave it for the full 6 weeks and it will be glorious. I have mixed plenty of funfetti in the past and just taking a break from it at the moment as I usually mix about 250 mils at a time as I do enjoy it.

I havn't tried the sucker punch though, I opted for the Nana's cream to sample the dragon fruit and was good, I like the dragon fruit concentrate. after trying that I decided to mix up my own recipe using the left over banana cream, adding in some custard, Nonna's cake some sweet cream and a bit of cheesecake. Hopefully it turns out ok.

Recently I mixed up the kanzi clone recipe and peach berry pop, and for fruit juice mixes they were both very impressive, if you into that sort of thing. I also mixed some mike's melons and really enjoy it despite it only having 3 ingredients it, i.e. Papaya, Cantaloupe and mango. I will share the good ones I find with you if you promise to do the same;)
If you like dragonfruit, sucker punch clone is for you - Bavarian cream, Dragonfruit & vanilla swirl. I will look those up, thanx a million

"mix with a scale" they said.
"it's easier and less messy" they said.

My previous method of mixing was to use a syringe or pipette for nic, drop count for concentrate, and will up with VG. I was working with CLY concentrates, and it worked. Only clean up was the syringe or pipette. Sometimes 2 or 3 pipettes because for bigger batches I would use them for flavour too.

Then I got me a scale, cos I wanted to mix up proper recipes and get some of that cast iron precision.

Bronuts. Got everything lined up.
Start with nic, I've decanted my nic into a bottle with a withes hat top to make it easier to pour into those itty bitty little bottles, gram count moving up nicely, getting close to the mark, slow down the pour. oops, slighly over, but not much, well within reasonable tolerances. I'll just be more careful with the other stuff.

I mean, using the drippers to pour concentrates should be a breeze, 1 drop at a time, right?
Concentrate 1, drip, drip, drip, gram count moving up, dammit. I was concentrating real hard (ADHD and Bipolar not withstanding). But it's like 0.05g over, thats nothing.
Concentrate 2, come in at like 0.01 over, I'm getting good at this.

Then concentrate 3. INW Biscuit. Slowly slowly, one drop at a time, gotta be careful cos this seems like a strong concentrate and it only needs a little bit of ... what the #$%^. How the hell did I just add twice as much concentrate as I needed!?!?!?!

On the upside, it's still vapable. If I had followed @RichJB 's method of mixing 10ml in a 20ml bottle, I would have been able to recover. Lessons learnt. Also, overshooting the Biscuit notwithstanding, I can see it's going into my juice circulation, so the next mix will be at least 50ml, which should be a bit more tolerant.

So what I have learned is that measuring with a scale is effing precise. As in you need to "konsentreer poephol, konsentreer". One slightly over enthusiastic squeeze, applying 1/10000000th of a newton too much pressure, and you overshoot.

The problem is not the scale, or the bottles - it's the poephol in charge.

So from now on, before every mixing session, I shall repeat my affirmation,

"konsentreer poephol, konsentreer"

"mix with a scale" they said.
"it's easier and less messy" they said.

My previous method of mixing was to use a syringe or pipette for nic, drop count for concentrate, and will up with VG. I was working with CLY concentrates, and it worked. Only clean up was the syringe or pipette. Sometimes 2 or 3 pipettes because for bigger batches I would use them for flavour too.

Then I got me a scale, cos I wanted to mix up proper recipes and get some of that cast iron precision.

Bronuts. Got everything lined up.
Start with nic, I've decanted my nic into a bottle with a withes hat top to make it easier to pour into those itty bitty little bottles, gram count moving up nicely, getting close to the mark, slow down the pour. oops, slighly over, but not much, well within reasonable tolerances. I'll just be more careful with the other stuff.

I mean, using the drippers to pour concentrates should be a breeze, 1 drop at a time, right?
Concentrate 1, drip, drip, drip, gram count moving up, dammit. I was concentrating real hard (ADHD and Bipolar not withstanding). But it's like 0.05g over, thats nothing.
Concentrate 2, come in at like 0.01 over, I'm getting good at this.

Then concentrate 3. INW Biscuit. Slowly slowly, one drop at a time, gotta be careful cos this seems like a strong concentrate and it only needs a little bit of ... what the #$%^. How the hell did I just add twice as much concentrate as I needed!?!?!?!

On the upside, it's still vapable. If I had followed @RichJB 's method of mixing 10ml in a 20ml bottle, I would have been able to recover. Lessons learnt. Also, overshooting the Biscuit notwithstanding, I can see it's going into my juice circulation, so the next mix will be at least 50ml, which should be a bit more tolerant.

So what I have learned is that measuring with a scale is effing precise. As in you need to "konsentreer poephol, konsentreer". One slightly over enthusiastic squeeze, applying 1/10000000th of a newton too much pressure, and you overshoot.

The problem is not the scale, or the bottles - it's the poephol in charge.

So from now on, before every mixing session, I shall repeat my affirmation,

"konsentreer poephol, konsentreer"
I know the feeling, oh I need a lot of this concentrate, might as well glance at the tv for just one secooooooh #$%. I have given myself a bit of room for error as a drop could put you .05 over if you don't focus and don't get me started on that freakin ring falling off while mixing and going in with the care of a surgeon taking it off. I use a syringe for my nic, that way I have great control even though nic in vg is not the easiest to handle with a needle attached. It also took me some time to figure out that the fan of all things will mess up my readings, wtf right. Any way, I am close to done mixing in those pesky 10ml bottles for testers. After a batch comes out nice it is mixed straight into the 30ml, 50ml or 100ml bottles

Ar

Is this the recipe you are referring to?
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/564480/'Nana Cream clone with TPA flavors

That is the Nanna cream I was referring to yes.. The other three would be:

Kanzi clone
Peach berry pop
Mike's Melons

But as we all know taste is subjective so if you don't think the recipes look good then don't try them, simple lol...What I love about DIY, its all your own doings.
I think I will give the fruity mixes a chance with my next order, they look great, thank you

I think Sucker Punch Clone is due for a remake. It's a 2014 recipe and it shows: 14% TFA Dragonfruit! There is no recipe released these days which requires 14% of any concentrate. You will very rarely see double digits these days.

In 2014, people were doing single flavour tests at 20%. These days, 4-5% is usual for the weaker brands, and around 2-3% for the FA/Inw/JF brands. Even 2% is too high for some flavours like Inw Raspberry or FA Blackberry. Dragonfruit is not the strongest flavour but I think it will work at substantially less than 14%. Although it might require a fourth ingredient to help the Dragonfruit stand out at lower percentages.

I also tho
I think Sucker Punch Clone is due for a remake. It's a 2014 recipe and it shows: 14% TFA Dragonfruit! There is no recipe released these days which requires 14% of any concentrate. You will very rarely see double digits these days.

In 2014, people were doing single flavour tests at 20%. These days, 4-5% is usual for the weaker brands, and around 2-3% for the FA/Inw/JF brands. Even 2% is too high for some flavours like Inw Raspberry or FA Blackberry. Dragonfruit is not the strongest flavour but I think it will work at substantially less than 14%. Although it might require a fourth ingredient to help the Dragonfruit stand out at lower percentages.
I also though the 14% was a bit odd, it does come out rather to my liking with the 14% but I am sure this could be tweaked according to taste.

When you first read about vapers doing DIY, it looks a bit intimidating. You think: "No, I cannot do this, it's too technical and time consuming." The truth is that once you take the time to research it properly, you realize that it is not rocket science. It can be done. The time spent is worth it. In the beginning you are over cautious, afraid of making a mistake. But you learn from your mistakes.

After making your first few batches, you wonder why you never started earlier. It is so much fun trying out different recipes and tweaking them to your own liking.

You also awaken to the fact that DIY saves you a toilet full of money. And decide that there is no need to buy commercial juice again. It costs about R30 to R40 to make a 30ml Bottle.

You make a total excess of juice, thinking that this is justified as they must steep for so long. You must keep the cycle going. You just have to keep on making juice with this newfound knowledge.

When you make your first few successful batches, you feel so clever, like a "Mad scientist". You may even be tempted to believe you can become a juice master, and start selling your own juice. This is a different ball game entirely, one which requires serious practice, patience and good marketing skills in an industry that is almost flooded with so many self acclaimed "juiciteers". The competition is tight and it requires an enormous amount of willpower and dedication to sell your own brand of juice. It's tough to penetrate the market. You also appreciate the effort and time that juice sellers put into making marketable e-liquid.

You awaken to a new dimension of vaping which enriches the hobby giving you a sense of empowerment and control. It's awesome to chose your own Nicotine levels, VG/PG ratios and quantities.

Lastly, you vape so much more than before as you have a cupboard full of e-juice that can last you a year. You stock up on bottles of VG, PG and nicotine afraid that it may go out of stock or become banned by "smoking" regulations. It almost becomes confusing asking yourself, "Which do I try next?" Your desk is littered with many bottles of half filled juice — and you tell yourself: "Calm down, re group, and go back to basics".

For those contemplating getting into DIY, dive in, you won't look back! It was one of the best vaping decisions I ever took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You`ve just perfectly summed up my last 2 months of existence in the sphere of DIY, and right now this is important :
"Calm down, re group, and go back to basics."

I`m sitting with 57 10ml bottles of DIY juice, and sadly most of them will be tossed into the bin, those words reminded me to take it back a notch, so thanks for that :)

You`ve just perfectly summed up my last 2 months of existence in the sphere of DIY, and right now this is important :

I`m sitting with 57 10ml bottles of DIY juice, and sadly most of them will be tossed into the bin, those words reminded me to take it back a notch, so thanks for that :)
Dump them all into one big bottle and label it something cool like, "The Blackest Incarnation". It might turn out to be vapeable in emergencies. I'm still waiting on @Feliks Karp to tell me about my mix :ANGEL:

Don't throw them away, there might be something there that is to someones taste, you never know.

I`m sitting with 57 10ml bottles of DIY juice, and sadly most of them will be tossed into the bin

What the...? Are those 10ml single flavour testers or 10ml of your own concoctions? That's an awful lot of juice to be tossing out.

I often don't mix testers anymore. A whipped cream test uses no VG/PG/nic, requires only two drops of concentrate and no steeping, and gives you a decent representation of how the flavour will vape. The cream is an expense but you can test at least twenty flavours with one can of whipped cream. It won't give you a standalone percentage but seeing as I don't mix single-ingredient juices, a standalone percentage is of limited value anyway. I can get a better idea of how much to use in a recipe by looking at how top mixers use the flavour.

In DIY mixing, I also follow at least a 5:1 ratio. In other words, I mix up five highly-rated hit recipes (or at least interesting ones) for every one concoction that I do myself. That way, even if every one of my own recipes is a bomb that goes down the drain, more than 80% of my nic/VG/PG/concentrates are going into good and vapable juices.

Dump them all into one big bottle and label it something cool like, "The Blackest Incarnation". It might turn out to be vapeable in emergencies. I'm still waiting on @Feliks Karp to tell me about my mix :ANGEL:

It isn't bad at all, but I get a hint of koolada which does not agree with me at all in any %.

*edit Kind of like a stale jaffa cake soaked in a summer fruit juice, which is cool cause I can never eat/drink those things again.

Last edited:
At the risk of stealing someone else's catchphrase, (@craigb - sorry...)

Yesterday I learnt to konsentreer, poepol, konsentreer!

Brother came over for a visit to chat about vaping and diy. I proceeded (as planned before the unannounced visit) to mix a 100ml batch of the monster melons clone from a recipe I had written down on a notepad (using masses based on percentages calculated by ejuicemeup).

My brother picked the concentrates from my - literally - mixed bag of concentrates and lined them up in the order I had written down on the piece of paper.

I then went on, in my best @KZOR impersonation, to casually pour all the ingredients into the bottle, zeroing after each one before adding the next. Muttering "eh, close enough" each time the scale showed that I had added one or two drops too much of a concentrate.

The second-to-last ingredient (before adding my much-loved and fresh, carefully prepared 66% menthol-in-pg solution) was 0.52g of Ethyl Maltol.

Today, while strolling through Plasticland in Centurion, looking for some more 10ml bottles, I finally figured out the answer to the issue that had been bugging me since yesterday afternoon. Came to me in a flash of impotent rage and deep disappointment.

The reason that the EM crystals were not dissolving in the 100ml batch like they did in the 50ml batch, was that I WASN'T SUPPOSED TO USE THE CRYSTALS! I SHOULD have used the made-up concentrate (1/4 teaspoon EM crystals in a 10ml bottle topped up with PG) like you're supposed to!

My brother didn't know this and I never picked up the stuff-up. Even while I was busy pulling a mcguyver with a piece of paper to weigh and add the crystals to the tiny-necked bottle, never once did my anti-idiot firmware kick in and shout "wait a minute, asshole!"

So yeah. I guess the moral is, don't try and show off; don't be a hero; put your crystals (EM, menthol, sweetener, what have you) somewhere OTHER than your flavours and additives and, finally, but not least, KONSEN-EFFING-TREER!

While I'm here, I might as well ask the question: Anyone know how I can salvage this batch without having to make a litre of juice?

I've never worked with EM crystals but I'd be interested to know how it reacts when added directly to a juice. Has it dissolved into the juice? If not, has it formed a sediment at the bottom of the bottle or is it just hanging in suspension?

I've never worked with EM crystals but I'd be interested to know how it reacts when added directly to a juice. Has it dissolved into the juice? If not, has it formed a sediment at the bottom of the bottle or is it just hanging in suspension?

@RichJB The crystals have reacted a lot like sugar. Some have dissolved into the juice, but there are a few that are stubbornly refusing to dissolve - I'm guessing I've managed to go past the saturation point. They tend to settle out at the bottom of the bottle - that's of course when I manage to refrain from shaking the bastard out of pure frustration at my own idiocy...

If the juice is vapable with the amount of EM in it, and the undissolved crystals have settled as a sediment, maybe decant into another bottle being careful not to let any sediment through, and then ditch the dregs with the sediment? You can't do anything about the EM that has dissolved so far, but you can certainly prevent any more from dissolving by decanting?

Was wondering if any of u have tried the simply cannoli that's so highly rated by DIY or die. The mix by tranceinate has a very low flavour percentage at 8.15% and best at 92vg... That's a ridiculously high vg with very low flavor percentage and this was rated 3rd in DIY or die's best mixes of 2016... Any thoughts mates? Can I just drop down the vg to 70/30 and keep the flavour profile the same or will it alter the outcome? @RichJB maybe u know

I made it at 60/40 and it easily made my ADV list. That is one terrific recipe, one of the very best juices I've ever tasted. As a bonus, it uses up FA Joy and Nonna's Cake, two FA offerings that aren't favoured or used in too much else.

Back