What is a milliliter?!

Looks like BLCK actually has a lot of awesome useful DIY accessories to ease the process :) In the end its a laboratory process and should be treated as such I guess. These Dischem syringes into a glass in front of my laptop is not cutting it anymore. I want to make decent stuff. Might as well invest another 500 bucks and get some decent gear. Also need to build another magnetic stirrer and/or shaker to prep my brews for the ultrasonic. Theres such an awesome Nitecore heated stirred in the classfieds at the moment but I can't afford that type of expense right now. Baby steps :)
@SHiBBY just for the fun of the whole experience, trying everything etc...and just because I KNOW what the shift did for me, if you have a few Rands lying around, get a small scale from Blck and try it out...just for incase there's a sudden medical supply shortage that strikes. ;)

If scales say it's 100g on them how do you know it's 100g

Simple @Timwis - Buy a set of calibration weights -they are cheap ($1.20 for 5g, $2.20 for 50g). I paid around US$ 6.00 for my scale and it is accurate to +/- 0.02g. Linearity is good from 5-300g too. These cheap scales are fine for our purpose.

I use the R240 larger scale from Blck. I bought a 200g calibration weight and occasionally pop that onto the scale just to see. It always reads as either 199.xx or 200.xx. So it's fine for my needs. I'm actually more worried about concentrates losing potency than about scale inaccuracies. A concentrate losing 15% of its fresh potency will affect my mixes an awful lot more than adding 0.79 instead of 0.8g to a mix because the scale was slightly out.

In many cases, the weight of a single drop will mean that you don't hit the exact amount specified by the recipe. Depending on the bottle, a drop can be up to 0.03g. If I need to add 0.2g and I add until I reach 0.19g, what do I do now? Leave it slightly short, or add another drop and potentially go up to 0.22? For me, it doesn't matter. I seriously doubt I'll be tasting the difference on 99.5% of concentrates. With Flv Rich Cinnamon, Inw Waffle, FA Dark Bean and Tiramisu as the obvious exceptions.

Did some Googling now, and first of all found THIS dude selling scales just down the road from me, which is convenient :) Secondly, I guess the biggest question when getting into mixing by weight is: What does VG/PG/Nic/Flavour actually weigh? And to that end, I found THIS. Have a look and let me know if it matches what you guys are using? I make use of eJuice Me Up to keep track of all my recipes and these weights have to be manually specified in order to make use of mixing by weight.

If I get that scale tonight, I'm making that bubblegum milk again and comparing it to last night's batch. Hopefully the difference is mind-blowing :)

Did some Googling now, and first of all found THIS dude selling scales just down the road from me, which is convenient :) Secondly, I guess the biggest question when getting into mixing by weight is: What does VG/PG/Nic/Flavour actually weigh? And to that end, I found THIS. Have a look and let me know if it matches what you guys are using? I make use of eJuice Me Up to keep track of all my recipes and these weights have to be manually specified in order to make use of mixing by weight.

If I get that scale tonight, I'm making that bubblegum milk again and comparing it to last night's batch. Hopefully the difference is mind-blowing :)
In terms of weights the linked post is as recommended. Jst note concentrates to be at 1g per 1ml as stated in the lower text of the redit post. Most credible recipies are developed using this standard.

Regards

Concentrates, even VG-based concentrates, are always 1ml = 1g. Your recipe will be out otherwise as almost all mixers use 1ml = 1g in developing recipes. As I explained in the primer, the goal is not to be scientifically accurate, it's to reproduce exactly the juice that the recipe developer created.

Most good lab glass, syringes and whatnot have an uncertainty - Like +- a certain amount :)

The right way to measure would depend on several factors, like density and whatnot. For instance, some of the stuff I use in my lab will have a volumetric ratio of 7:23 and a weight ratio that is very different!

I suppose at some point I should look at all this in more detail, but I so busy playing with my roll of wire and new.. stuff. :D

I could write up a guide on how to mix stuff in a lab, and someone could edit it with all the needed vaping things:)

The thing is that recipe developers don't mix under lab conditions. The only goal with DIY is to get the same juice in your bottle as the recipe developer had in theirs. The more metrology is applied, the less likely that becomes. This is why DIY opted for 1ml = 1g. If we adopted the true specific gravity of concentrates, it would require manufacturers to list the specific gravity of every concentrate on the market, and for mixers to download and enter those specific gravities into their recipe calculators. The chances of that ever happening are very low. So KISS applies.

The thing is that recipe developers don't mix under lab conditions. The only goal with DIY is to get the same juice in your bottle as the recipe developer had in theirs. The more metrology is applied, the less likely that becomes. This is why DIY opted for 1ml = 1g. If we adopted the true specific gravity of concentrates, it would require manufacturers to list the specific gravity of every concentrate on the market, and for mixers to download and enter those specific gravities into their recipe calculators. The chances of that ever happening are very low. So KISS applies.

That's all I want. When people rave about a recipe, I want to make it and have the same experience, not make it and spend the next week wondering if steeping will somehow magically add more flavour to what off the bat is a pretty bland juice, then realise that my syringes were most likely hand-marked with the charred whisker of a mountain lion by a deaf-mute monk in a cave at night using only matches and fireflies for light.

Scale all the way, As far as I remember/know the viscosity conversion for Milliliter to Grams for VG is (ml x 1.26) and for PG (incl. Nic) (ml x 1.038)
It worked for me right up untill the moment I got gatvol of my girlfriend telling me her living room looks like scene from the breaking bad...

They say necessity is the mother of invention. I found that eJuice Me Up was not saving my mg/ml values and seeing as they're quite specific I wanted something that tracked it more clearly. I also wanted something that would give me an incremental weight, thus allowing me to gooi a jar on the scale and just adding each ingredient in order till the weight reaches the indicated total value, and in that spirit I quickly threw together THIS badboy which I'l be using with my scale henceforth. I compared some of my recipes to that in eJMU and they match nicely. Feel free to give it a go and send me your feedback :)

UPDATE: Quickly added VG/PG levels for nic as well. Silly omission haha. Also added a reference sheet of default g/ml values to reference.

Last edited:
DIY Juice Calc already has all the weights added for you.

Awesome! Thanks I'll give it a bash

UPDATE: Jeez, that app is super hardcore! Tracking cost and everything... But... It doesn't seem to track incremental weight as the ingredients get added, which is one of the big factors that led to me creating that Excel sheet. I know it's simple, but it's time consuming constantly adding the weight up separately as you go along :) (Or so I would assume)

Last edited:
I use vape tool pro on android, the paid version. Works really well for me. Costs R32.99, though.

Awesome! Thanks I'll give it a bash

UPDATE: Jeez, that app is super hardcore! Tracking cost and everything... But... It doesn't seem to track incremental weight as the ingredients get added, which is one of the big factors that led to me creating that Excel sheet. I know it's simple, but it's time consuming constantly adding the weight up separately as you go along :) (Or so I would assume)
Just hit the tare buton after each addition. It sets the scale back to zero on the current weight so you only need to focus on individual concentrate weights.

Regards

Just hit the tare buton after each addition. It sets the scale back to zero on the current weight so you only need to focus on individual concentrate weights.

Regards

Awesome, thanks. Now that I actually have a scale it all makes a lot more sense.

Made the same bubblegum milk as last night and it tastes infinitely better than the syringe version. Thanks boys :)

I have proper glass syringes with surgical steel tips that I used when I had a beard oil business. They are very accurate but compared to a scale for mixing your own juice they are a pain in the ass. And everything just takes much longer.

Even a 200g max weight pocket scale of R100 will be easier to use and be accurate enough.

@Steyn777 this one bud? Any good for a beginner with a beginner budget?
View attachment 139844
I got this scale in a china mall for r50. Steeping is the best way magnetic stirrer doesn't make much difference according to me. I made one for myself and now only use to mix the juices.
A coffee frother like this one does the job of mixing well and then leave it to steep.

Last edited:
Morning All
I think BLCK enjoyed this conversation i also got me one of there scales yesterday after reading all of your conversations and
it really works 100% better than the syringes. Thanks for the advice.

Morning All
I think BLCK enjoyed this conversation i also got me one of there scales yesterday after reading all of your conversations and
it really works 100% better than the syringes. Thanks for the advice.

cant wait to try mine out tonight. Actually put my Mixing session on hold last night just to wait for my scale!

They say necessity is the mother of invention. I found that eJuice Me Up was not saving my mg/ml values and seeing as they're quite specific I wanted something that tracked it more clearly. I also wanted something that would give me an incremental weight, thus allowing me to gooi a jar on the scale and just adding each ingredient in order till the weight reaches the indicated total value, and in that spirit I quickly threw together THIS badboy which I'l be using with my scale henceforth. I compared some of my recipes to that in eJMU and they match nicely. Feel free to give it a go and send me your feedback :)
screw the calculator. Nice site man. Whats the password for protected articles? :cool:
cant wait to try mine out tonight. Actually put my Mixing session on hold last night just to wait for my scale!
The best thing is the flow of mixing with the scale. (your routine may have a slightly different sequence of events)
  1. line up concentrates and bases
  2. put bottle on scale
  3. tare
  4. open next flavour
  5. add flavour
  6. close flavour
  7. tare
  8. repeat 5 - 7 as needed
  9. pick up bottle
  10. swirl bottle
  11. sniff bottle
  12. sigh contentedly
  13. place bottle back on scale
  14. tare
  15. shake nicotine (PG based so it doesn't degrade too quickly)
  16. shake nicotine some more
  17. give the nicotine another good shake
  18. one last nicotine shake for good luck
  19. open nicotine
  20. add nicotine
  21. close nicotine
  22. tare
  23. open pg
  24. take nozzle off VG, put on PG bottle (only got one nozzle cap left for some reason)
  25. add PG
  26. tare
  27. switch cap back to VG bottle
  28. close PG bottle
  29. add VG
  30. swear at the spilled VG
  31. finish adding VG
  32. close VG
  33. tare (???)
  34. put cap on bottle
  35. shake the latest evil creation ( evil is the safe word for delicious)
  36. go back to step 1 for next juice
Wow, thats a lot of steps. But once the routine kicks in, I find it very Zen (definitely deserves the capital 'Z') . There's usually a bit more swearing along the way because I don't usually plug the laptop in and it goes into power saving and I keep forgetting to twitch the mouse to keep it awake. When I first started with using syringes there was a lot more swearing, a heck of a lot more mess, and a lot less fun.

Now, after the last juice is mixed, just give the scale a quick wipe with a damp cloth, maybe wipe a few drops of base off the table (like literally less than 5), pack up and move on. No muss no fuss.

Happy mixing.

screw the calculator. Nice site man. Whats the password for protected articles? :cool:

The best thing is the flow of mixing with the scale. (your routine may have a slightly different sequence of events)
  1. line up concentrates and bases
  2. put bottle on scale
  3. tare
  4. open next flavour
  5. add flavour
  6. close flavour
  7. tare
  8. repeat 5 - 7 as needed
  9. pick up bottle
  10. swirl bottle
  11. sniff bottle
  12. sigh contentedly
  13. place bottle back on scale
  14. tare
  15. shake nicotine (PG based so it doesn't degrade too quickly)
  16. shake nicotine some more
  17. give the nicotine another good shake
  18. one last nicotine shake for good luck
  19. open nicotine
  20. add nicotine
  21. close nicotine
  22. tare
  23. open pg
  24. take nozzle off VG, put on PG bottle (only got one nozzle cap left for some reason)
  25. add PG
  26. tare
  27. switch cap back to VG bottle
  28. close PG bottle
  29. add VG
  30. swear at the spilled VG
  31. finish adding VG
  32. close VG
  33. tare (???)
  34. put cap on bottle
  35. shake the latest evil creation ( evil is the safe word for delicious)
  36. go back to step 1 for next juice
Wow, thats a lot of steps. But once the routine kicks in, I find it very Zen (definitely deserves the capital 'Z') . There's usually a bit more swearing along the way because I don't usually plug the laptop in and it goes into power saving and I keep forgetting to twitch the mouse to keep it awake. When I first started with using syringes there was a lot more swearing, a heck of a lot more mess, and a lot less fun.

Now, after the last juice is mixed, just give the scale a quick wipe with a damp cloth, maybe wipe a few drops of base off the table (like literally less than 5), pack up and move on. No muss no fuss.

Happy mixing.

You pretty much summed up my mixing style right there lol

Back