Wrapping 18650 batteries

zadiac

Sub Ohm & Flavor Junkie
Staff member
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi folks!

I searched the forum and couldn't find that thread where they were talking about wrapping batteries, so I'm posting this here.

I received my shrink wrap from Slowtech today and quickly wrapped two Efest batteries with tattered wraps. It took me about 20 seconds per battery and they came out perfect. I cut off exactly 71mm of the 30mm (width) shrink wrap. Then I positioned the battery inside the shrink wrap with about 4mm sticking over the positive side and about 3mm sticking over the negative side. I then heated it with a hair dryer and eureka!! Done!

Here are pics of one of the batteries. Both came out exactly the same.

IMG_20150305_191135%20Custom.jpg

IMG_20150305_191127%20Custom.jpg

IMG_20150305_191118%20Custom.jpg

Looks good. Can you use any heat shrink?

Sent from my S5 while vaping on my Subtank

The stuff you get at the electrical supply places is quite thick walled so even if you get the right diameter and shrink it the battery might not fit in most of the mods around or it would be so tight it might get stuck.

I'd do this in a carbon fibre wrap. Seems like too much effort just to change colors. Very nicely done though.

Edit: Need to go back to school. Didn't see the bit about the tattered wraps.

Unfortunately not. I've been down that road. Only the very thin walled heat shrink will work like the ones I bought from Fasttech.

SkyBlue has 18650 battery wraps (proper ones)...they include them for free with each battery you buy from them.

Contact them to find out if you can buy some seperately :D

looks great @zadiac
very professionally done. if that was a lighter blue id mistake it for a smurf

i foresee alot of "smurf" blue and "VTC" green wraps in the future....

looks great @zadiac
very professionally done. if that was a lighter blue id mistake it for a smurf

That is why I chose the dark blue wrap. I have smurfs incoming and don't wanna get confused :p

Hi.

Excuse my ignorance but why do you wrap your batteries?

Great work there Zadiac. I have some clear heat shrink from FT, problem is I don't own a hair dryer...

I used to use a lighter/soldering iron to shrink really small heatsink when I raced RC cars about ten years ago. Sadly that is really unlikely to work given the size of area needed to be heated.

Short of putting the battery in the microwave/oven (both really not good ideas) I can't think of any other way to shrink it

Great work there Zadiac. I have some clear heat shrink from FT, problem is I don't own a hair dryer...

I used to use a lighter/soldering iron to shrink really small heatsink when I raced RC cars about ten years ago. Sadly that is really unlikely to work given the size of area needed to be heated.

Short of putting the battery in the microwave/oven (both really not good ideas) I can't think of any other way to shrink it
Ok I have a plan for you. But you don't have to share this with the rest of the community. Go have a fancy pansy haircut at a salon and while she is blowdrying your hair, rip out your batteries and let her blow them. :rofl:

Ok I have a plan for you. But you don't have to share this with the rest of the community. Go have a fancy pansy haircut at a salon and while she is blowdrying your hair, rip out your batteries and let her blow them. :rofl:
What if it's a him?

ROFL! If you had met me in person, you'd know there isn't much to cut :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Do you have a torch? You know, the ones we use to oxidize our kanthal before wrapping coils. You can use that, but keep it at a safe distance so it doesn't melt the wrapping.
A lighter will also work, but you'll have to be carefull to keep moving the lighter fast enough so it doesn't melt the wrapping.

Back