Parallel Coil (Sub-Ohm) on the Lemo - [Warning: Image Heavy]

free3dom

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
Instead of burying this deep inside the suywwacs thread, I decided to give this one it's very own thread :D

This is due to the fact that I am immensely impressed with this coil and would like to recommend it and then easily point someone to this thread instead of a buried post :wasntme:

The parallel coil is awesome! I absolutely love it, such a brilliant idea. The basic idea is that you build a single coil which performs like a dual coil. I'm not going to describe the process, but will rather put up video at the bottom that shows how to build it.

In the Lemo it is a bit tricky and I don't see being able to go any thicker than 28G and still being able to fit both wires through the post holes (the same goes for dual coils) - you could put them under the screws with 26G but that might be a bit of a pain to get right - I haven't tried...just a feeling (prove me wrong ;)).

Here are the techincal specs:
2x28G Kanthal (Round)
2mm ID
5 wraps (and because there's two wires side by side, that totals 10 wraps wide :D)
Final resistance: 0.5 Ohm
Wick: Organic cotton
Usage: 25W (Current draw is just over 7A according to steam engine :nerd:)

How does it vape? Crazy good! :rock:
And so far the Lemo has been performing as expected...perfectly :clap:
The flavour is fantastic, just like a dual coil. Ramp time with the 28G is near instantaneous at 25W+. No dry hits so far :cool:

Small disclaimer, this is my very first sub ohm build and so I've been taking it quite easy with shortish hits, so YMMV. I'll add comments as I grow more hair on my chest and let it rip ;)

And now after making you read all this (you did read it, right? ;)), it's time for some pictures :party:
I am not going to annotate these pictures, so feel free to ask if anything is unclear :)
The images are max size, so click them to "zoom in" ;)

IMG_4805.JPG IMG_4806.JPG IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4809.JPG IMG_4811.JPG IMG_4812.JPG IMG_4813.JPG IMG_4814.JPG IMG_4815.JPG IMG_4816.JPG IMG_4820.JPG IMG_4824.JPG IMG_4825.JPG IMG_4826.JPG IMG_4828.JPG IMG_4829.JPG
And here is an animation of the coil firing at 25W (it's in real-time) :rock:

Coil.gif

And finally, this is the video that shows how to build the coil (by RipTrippers) - it's for an RDA, but the coil build is the same, just a different way of attaching it to the Lemo :)

After I wrapped the coil (using the method in the video) I had to clip the part with the loop so that the two wire ends were now separate - this allowed me to get them through the post hole. Also make sure to have long enough leads on both sides as it is a bit tricky to get them through the holes and having extra wire makes it that much easier. And finally, make sure the screws are out as much as possible, but do not remove them as the wires can get stuck on the screw hole while trying to push them through.

I can highly recommend this build in the Lemo, even just for fun. Also, adding another wrap to increase the resistance would probably be a good idea - 0.5 is maybe a bit low for an RTA ;)

Last edited:
Instead of burying this deep inside the suywwacs thread, I decided to give this one it's very own thread :D

This is due to the fact that I am immensely impressed with this coil and would like to recommend it and then easily point someone to this thread instead of a buried post :wasntme:

The parallel coil is awesome! I absolutely love it, such a brilliant idea. The basic idea is that you build a single coil which performs like a dual coil. I'm not going to describe the process, but will rather put up video at the bottom that shows how to build it.

In the Lemo it is a bit tricky and I don't see being able to go any thicker than 28G and still being able to fit both wires through the post holes (the same goes for dual coils) - you could put them under the screws with 26G but that might be a bit of a pain to get right - I haven't tried...just a feeling (prove me wrong ;)).

Here are the techincal specs:
2x28G Kanthal (Round)
2mm ID
5 wraps (and because there's two wires side by side, that totals 10 wraps wide :D)
Final resistance: 0.5 Ohm
Wick: Organic cotton
Usage: 25W (Current draw is just over 7A according to steam engine :nerd:)

How does it vape? Crazy good! :rock:
And so far the Lemo has been performing as expected...perfectly :clap:
The flavour is fantastic, just like a dual coil. Ramp time with the 28G is near instantaneous at 25W+. No dry hits so far :cool:

Small disclaimer, this is my very first sub ohm build and so I've been taking it quite easy with shortish hits, so YMMV. I'll add comments as I grow more hair on my chest and let it rip ;)

And now after making you read all this (you did read it, right? ;)), it's time for some pictures :party:
I am not going to annotate these pictures, so feel free to ask if anything is unclear :)
The images are max size, so click them to "zoom in" ;)

View attachment 18665 View attachment 18666 View attachment 18667 View attachment 18668 View attachment 18669 View attachment 18670 View attachment 18671 View attachment 18673 View attachment 18675 View attachment 18676 View attachment 18677 View attachment 18678 View attachment 18679 View attachment 18680 View attachment 18681 View attachment 18682
And here is an animation of the coil firing at 25W (it's in real-time) :rock:

View attachment 18683

And finally, this is the video that shows how to build the coil (by RipTrippers) - it's for an RDA, but the coil build is the same, just a different way of attaching it to the Lemo :)

After I wrapped the coil (using the method in the video) I had to clip the part with the loop so that the two wire ends were now separate - this allowed me to get them through the post hole. Also make sure to have long enough leads on both sides as it is a bit tricky to get them through the holes and having extra wire makes it that much easier. And finally, make sure the screws are out as much as possible, but do not remove them as the wires can get stuck on the screw hole while trying to push them through.

I can highly recommend this build in the Lemo, even just for fun. Also, adding another wrap to increase the resistance would probably be a good idea - 0.5 is maybe a bit low for an RTA ;)

Very nice! Your work is infinitely neater than mine :). I have the parallel coils (dual) on my Orchid and it is fantastic. Don't know if I understand all of the mechanics, but it works! Runs really hot though. Would love you feedback on the temperature. Again - nice!

Very nice! Your work is infinitely neater than mine :). I have the parallel coils (dual) on my Orchid and it is fantastic. Don't know if I understand all of the mechanics, but it works! Runs really hot though. Would love you feedback on the temperature. Again - nice!

Hotter than hell! :D

When I was neating up the coil, I ramped it up quite a few times in succession and the entire base got very very hot :)

Not that bad with juice in though ;)

Very cool! Will definitely be giving this a try.
Great coiling @free3dom

On a side note. 0.5 on the Lemo isn't bad.

That's what myself and @paulph201 are rocking at the moment.

View attachment 18687

Glad to hear the 0.5 is not too heavy for the Lemo...I was aiming for 0.8, but the parallel is a bit of a different beast and my calculations were out. Decided that I was feeling lucky and just kept it that way ;)

What coil have you got running at 0.5?

Glad to hear the 0.5 is not too heavy for the Lemo...I was aiming for 0.8, but the parallel is a bit of a different beast and my calculations were out. Decided that I was feeling lucky and just kept it that way ;)

What coil have you got running at 0.5?

Currently it's 1.5mm ID
6/7 wrap
26g
"Tidy" spacing as @Andre says it can't be classified as "ugly". ha ha!

Currently it's 1.5mm ID
6/7 wrap
26g
"Tidy" spacing as @Andre says it can't be classified as "ugly". ha ha!

Awesome! I was hoping it was something like that :)

I've been waiting patiently for the year to actually start so I can go pick up some 26G for exactly this reason - to build a sub-ohm coil for the Lemo. Then today I got restless and decided to do the para coil with the 28G I do have - same result, but a lot more work :D

That build you've got is what I'll probably be running most of the time in the future :rock:

Awesome! I was hoping it was something like that :)

I've been waiting patiently for the year to actually start so I can go pick up some 26G for exactly this reason - to build a sub-ohm coil for the Lemo. Then today I got restless and decided to do the para coil with the 28G I do have - same result, but a lot more work :D

That build you've got is what I'll probably be running most of the time in the future :rock:

I actually wanna give the vertical coil a try.
Same as the one they have in the booklet.
I think that can also be very nice.
But I wanna do it with a dual twisted wire.

I actually wanna give the vertical coil a try.
Same as the one they have in the booklet.
I think that can also be very nice.
But I wanna do it with a dual twisted wire.

Ohhhh, that sounds nice :D

I did one a while back but I messed up the wicking (I only have organic cotton balls) and I think I choked it a bit trying to get it all the way around. The vape was a bit muted. Might be easier using Japanese Cotton strips ;)

I think I need a Lemo. Looks like a really 'cool' device. That's it - it's on the list :)
Hotter than hell! :D

When I was neating up the coil, I ramped it up quite a few times in succession and the entire base got very very hot :)

Not that bad with juice in though ;)

Your parallel coil is so much neater than mine @free3dom, great build, well done :)

I also did this coil a few weeks ago on my Veritas, 2mm with 28g and came out at 0.5. This is the lowest I've been yet and the only mods I have that will fire it are my mechs. On a fully charged battery it works out to around 44W on the coil, with 18mg this coil kicks harder than an angry ostrich. Keep a lot of water around with this one, the thirst kicks in very early on.

Your parallel coil is so much neater than mine @free3dom, great build, well done :)

I also did this coil a few weeks ago on my Veritas, 2mm with 28g and came out at 0.5. This is the lowest I've been yet and the only mods I have that will fire it are my mechs. On a fully charged battery it works out to around 44W on the coil, with 18mg this coil kicks harder than an angry ostrich. Keep a lot of water around with this one, the thirst kicks in very early on.

I've been waiting to get a decent mod to go "down under" (not to be confused with going down) ;)

I've noticed the juice level actually drops quite visibly while vaping this, so not only does it make you thirsty, it is actually very thirsty by itself :p
I've stuck to 12mg for now, and taking it slow...just splashing around in the kiddy pool for a while. But I'm slowly realizing I'm not going to blow up and I'm already feeling braver ;)

What I did not mention is the Smok M50 (Mini Dragon) really performs so well with this setup - and everything else I've thrown at it. I haven't tried it in Mech Mode as I only currently have a 20A/10A battery that fits, but I'll get to that :D

This has been my standard coil on my Lemo. I've been stick to 0.7 to 0.8ohms. Really good flavour and vapour.

I've been waiting to get a decent mod to go "down under" (not to be confused with going down) ;)

I've noticed the juice level actually drops quite visibly while vaping this, so not only does it make you thirsty, it is actually very thirsty by itself :p
I've stuck to 12mg for now, and taking it slow...just splashing around in the kiddy pool for a while. But I'm slowly realizing I'm not going to blow up and I'm already feeling braver ;)

What I did not mention is the Smok M50 (Mini Dragon) really performs so well with this setup - and everything else I've thrown at it. I haven't tried it in Mech Mode as I only currently have a 20A/10A battery that fits, but I'll get to that :D
I have the dual parallel (also 0.5) build on the Orchid and the Mini Dragon, in any mode (including mech - with the same battery - Efest 18650 3100Mah, 20A) eats it for breakfast ;)

I have the dual parallel (also 0.5) build on the Orchid and the Mini Dragon, in any mode (including mech - with the same battery - Efest 18650 3100Mah, 20A) eats it for breakfast ;)

I'm still working up the courage to do that ;) But good to hear it works well...I'll get there :D

A useful tip i can give you, instead of wrapping around a drill bit (i find it a bit squirmy) get yourself a set of precision screw drivers, makes it much easier to wrap coils.

@Dassie I thought those batteries were 10A, with a pulse limit of 20A. I could be wrong, but it might be worth checking before you push the battery too far.

A useful tip i can give you, instead of wrapping around a drill bit (i find it a bit squirmy) get yourself a set of precision screw drivers, makes it much easier to wrap coils.

I do actually have some, and I usually do that but I had the drill bit out after doing another dual coil (for which I needed two exact same sized ones at the same time)...so I just went with it. I did find it a bit of a PITA for the parallel though ;)

Be careful of those 3100s, they're only 10A continuous so 0.5 is right on the edge.

for dual coil builds I use pop rivets, they have a diameter of 2mm.

I'm still working up the courage to do that ;) But good to hear it works well...I'll get there :D
Just to clarify - not sure courage was as much as factor as I couldn't resist pushing the button :)

Back