A Perfectly Cooked Steak: Sous-vide

Alex

Reonaut
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
A Perfectly Cooked Steak: Sous-vide Hack with a Beer Cooler !

Alo, Alo monsieur @Alex! this is magnifique and merci beaucoup for sharing.

You don't wait 2h, you prepare it in advance. I do a good few at a time and eat them over a few days. Pop em over a super hot braai real close and they're ready to go as soon as they're nice as brown or sear them for 45s per side. Great way to make steaks that are perfect every time.

Well it worked a treat,I modified the instructions slightly.
I used a Safari Chiller instead of a cooler box,don't do this because I think I've stuffed up the fitment of the lid on mine!
My plumbing torch had an empty gas cartridge and the only others I have are a Creme Brulee torch which I figured was too small or a big torch used in felt roofing,this would have been a bit of overkill!
I also used a vacuum sealer not Ziplocks.
In one parcel I had two Fillet Steaks about 20mm thick,in the other a centre cut of the Fillet about 200mm long.
Started off with the water at 65 Degrees with the packages in there.
Checked the water temp after an hour and it was still over 55 so I left it.
Two hours later removed the meat.
Seared it very quickly (after seasoning) in a hot skillet.
Must say the meat,either the Steak or the Centre Cut came out perfectly for my taste.Probably between medium and medium rare.

I tried reverse searing the other night. Perfect steak. I cut the steak (rump) to 5 cm and seasoned. Preheat oven to 135 Celcius. Put in steak on a rack for 60 minutes for medium steak - about 50 minutes for medium to rare. Take out and sear on very hot coals or in a heavy bottom pan. Just about 1 minute per side.

Back