Airport security

Batteries... Not for international flights. You will have to put with checked luggage
International flights.... I flew in Dec with 2 LG 3000 and 2 Samsung 2500 and 2 Samsung 2000 and was in my hand luggage, had no issues all the way to Bali and on returning was asked if I had more than 16000 mah..? If not was ok

As I understand it guys, if you have lithium batteries they must be in your carry on luggage and not your checked in luggage. Flew out with KLM at start of Dec for UK, am really hoping for no kaak on way back to Swaziland next week as have bought fair bit of gear on my trip. Wish these tossers could get their act together. They keep moving the goalposts as it suits them.

As I understand it guys, if you have lithium batteries they must be in your carry on luggage and not your checked in luggage. Flew out with KLM at start of Dec for UK, am really hoping for no kaak on way back to Swaziland next week as have bought fair bit of gear on my trip. Wish these tossers could get their act together. They keep moving the goalposts as it suits them.
Like I've been saying. It is a grey area that cannot be fixed right away. The restrictions will keep moving till either there's a general rule like the tobacco law or some sort of permission

According to the IATA Dangerous Goods you technically aren't allowed to have lithium batteries in your checked in luggage. You are however allowed to have a device with batteries as well as extra batteries in your hand luggage, the number is 4 but I do stand under correction. I am part of the industry and I travel with 2 RX 200's and 6 batteries in total and have never picked up any issues with security. The minimum standards for Dangerous Goods have been set by IATA, however airlines often implement more strict policies for increased safety. Generally if you tell them that it's an E-cig they are happy and they send you on your way. Just make sure you protect the batteries so they can't cause issues and you'll be fine!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

According to the IATA Dangerous Goods you technically aren't allowed to have lithium batteries in your checked in luggage. You are however allowed to have a device with batteries as well as extra batteries in your hand luggage, the number is 4 but I do stand under correction. I am part of the industry and I travel with 2 RX 200's and 6 batteries in total and have never picked up any issues with security. The minimum standards for Dangerous Goods have been set by IATA, however airlines often implement more strict policies for increased safety. Generally if you tell them that it's an E-cig they are happy and they send you on your way. Just make sure you protect the batteries so they can't cause issues and you'll be fine!

Again. Someone has frazed what I've been saying better.
Except I see my mistake. I said had luggage instead of checked. I do publicly apologise for the mistake

Seems to me the general rule of thumb for us vapers:

MODS and BATTERIES
  1. Have your mods and batteries in your hand luggage.
  2. If your battery is removable have it out of the mod.
  3. If your battery is not removable make sure the mod is switched off completely.
  4. Batteries must be packed with safety in mind: In hard plastic battery cases where each one is isolated, in silicone covers or each individually wrapped in plastic and sealed. This is to prevent accidental contact with each other or other metal objects.
  5. Take just enough batteries - they might just enforce the limitation on total batteries.
CHARGER
In checked or hand luggage. I carry mine in hand luggage - shall be lost if my charger gets lost with my checked luggage.

JUICE

Carry in hand luggage in sealed ziplock bags. Maximum 100 ml per ziplock bag, e.g. 3 x 30 ml bottles of juice. Should be ok in checked baggage too if you want to risk it.

TOOLS, WICK, WIRE, etc

All sharp stuff (scissors, sharp nosed pliers, etc) MUST be in your checked in luggage.

STEALTH VAPING
If you want to risk this in the toilets, blow down as the newer generation smoke detectors are extremely sensitive and are activated by vapour.

How to stealth vape: Do not take your cloud blowing gear. Inhale, hold in and inhale again (double clutch). Hold. Exhale forcefully. Very little vapour will escape - blow into your clothes or under the blanket . Take higher nic than your usual to be able to vape as little as possible.

Last edited:
Thank you @Andre !
Most informative post

Seems to me the general rule of thumb for us vapers:

MODS and BATTERIES
  1. Have your mods and batteries in your hand luggage.
  2. If your battery is removable have it out of the mod.
  3. If your battery is not removable make sure the mod is switched off completely.
  4. Batteries must be packed with safety in mind: In hard plastic battery cases where each one is isolated, in silicone covers or each individually wrapped in plastic and sealed. This is to prevent accidental contact with each other or other metal objects.
  5. Take just enough batteries - they might just enforce the limitation on total batteries.
CHARGER
In checked or hand luggage. I carry mine in hand luggage - shall be lost if my charger gets lost with my checked luggage.

JUICE

Carry in hand luggage in sealed ziplock bags. Maximum 100 ml per ziplock bag, e.g. 3 x 30 ml bottles of juice.

TOOLS, WICK, WIRE, etc

All sharp stuff (scissors, sharp nosed pliers, etc) MUST be in your checked in luggage.

STEALTH VAPING
If you want to do this in the toilets, blow down as the newer generation smoke detectors are activated by vapour.

How to stealth vape: Do not take your cloud blowing gear. Inhale, hold in and inhale again (double clutch). Hold. Exhale forcefully. Very little vapour will escape.
@Andre you have hit the nail on the head there sir! Everything is spot on and accurate. Thank you very much! I would just be super cautious with the stealth vape as the smoke detectors are extremely sensitive and it can land you in quite a bit of hot water. But everything is right and down to the T. Thanks!

Well flying Air Mauritius on the 1st of May :) Will let you know whats up.

so having just done a flight to Phuket via Singapore i have some info to share. having spoken to many people in the week before my flight and at the airport, singapore is notorious for confiscating vape gear :(

going flight >

packed 3 18650 batteries with a hard case in hand luggage. mods, tanks, drippers, juice and tools in checked luggage. had no issues travelling with the batteries and had a vape 25hrs after i left home!

return flight >

here i had an additional few hours in singapore and wanted to take a chance. i packed everything as per usual but had slightly sneaky approach to my hand luggage

from my hotel in phuket to the airport i vaped on my main mod that i packed into my checked luggage when i arrived at the airport. its a short flight to singapore so i didnt really stress about anything.

for my hand luggage :

i took a 5ml sample bottle of juice and put that in a clear zip lock bag, the only other zip lock bag had my contact lens case and solution next to it.
i then took a subvod battery and connected a usb cable into it and wrapped that around the battery
i stripped a subtank nano down completely and removed everything possible. each part was then packed separately in a different compartment in my bag.

when i passed though security they stopped me to search my bag and when the found the subvod with the cable they assumed it was a power bank ! ( i did have it next to my bigger power bank which was with my gopro camera)

once in singapore airport i reassembled everything and then vaped along happily (mainly chilling in the sunflower garden)

when i was leaving i did the same packing routine but didn't break down the tank as i didn't leave the airport terminal and the security is a bit lax.

stealth vaping on the plane > covered myself with the blanket and vaped gently, blowing any vapour after clutching into my sleeve. i did have the wife as a lookout for any movement :)

Nice one @shaunnadan I have never had to go through Singapore, but whenever I travel, I only carry my iJust2/Subtank devices in hand luggage. I also take them apart and scattered them all over my hand luggage, I have had a couple of checks, and soon as they see the USB on the mod, they assume it is a computer device. They don't even question me on what it is. The tanks have never been inspected, but that could be due to all the IT type kit I have in my hand luggage - crap load of cables, every type of adapter under the sun, enough power banks to run a high performance car and solid state storage devices. Liquid never seems to be an issue. I generally have 2 or 3 50ml bottles in hand luggage. I have carried my VTC mini a couple of times, but had an inspection in Rwanda, and even trying to explain it is a USB storage device, almost got it confiscated, so rather have bigger mods in checked in luggage.

stealth vaping on the plane > covered myself with the blanket and vaped gently, blowing any vapour after clutching into my sleeve. i did have the wife as a lookout for any movement :)

I did this on a flight to Abu Dhabi.
I clutched and then exhaled into the pillow or into my shirt.
I had a petit little pen style thing-a-ma-gig that didn't give much vapor.

BTW....vaping in the toilets doesn't activate the smoke detector, although I don't try blow directly into it. I have also noticed alot of these detectors don't look like they are even operational.

Just a quick question. Should the battery be charged or uncharged :p <---- does it matter?

Just a quick question. Should the battery be charged or uncharged :p <---- does it matter?
Doesn't matter, but it must be safe. 18650's I have in silicone holders, and mods are all switched off (5 x clicks)

@shaunnadan - would have loved to have seen a photo of this - can just imagine... haha

Are you back then?
If so, welcome back!

Reo Mini, 2 batts and 18 mg Bowden's Mate ready for my man bag for stealth vaping on my flight to Paris/Brussels this weekend.

aK20tZX.jpg

Europe has been no problem in my travels with vape gear.

Remember, there are two gauntlets we must pass - security and customs. Each has a different agenda.

Security just wants safety on the plane - battery control, nature of the devices, liquid limits. In my experience, once you explain (if asked, which is about once every 10 times through security by my count), there is no problem. They don't adjudicate regulations of legal products.

The only issue you might face is questions about the unmarked juice bottles. Technically, they're liquids of unknown type, which could be confiscated. A friend of mine had her shampoo taken because she put it in a generic travel bottle - the lack of labelling got them worried (o_O). For this reason, I travel with juice in reused zero nic store bought juice bottles (I DIY). That way, I'm not really pulling a fast one, other than I'm not reporting nic content properly.

Customs, on the other hand, cares a great deal about enforcing regulations. Fortunately, most countries do not do bag checks as regular practice, so the issue is largely moot. My advice, should you get checked, is: do not lie. Maybe with device use (I've passed mods off as battery banks - the old iTaste MVP actually was), but not with tanks or (especially) juice.

As for vaping on a plane.... no comment :rolleyes: (BTW, newer smoke detectors are photoelectric and vapor will trip them, as would, say, steam).

Hi, probably been asked but how many mls of juice can one carry and where must it be(Hand luggage or normal?

Back