And so it was writ...

Don't they really amount to the same thing?

It could also be 'Vogon for life'...
latest

Ah, I see you are a man that appreciates fine poetry.....

Our local butcher (in a neighbouring town) posted this on FB.

Darling Meat Market is in Darling, Western Cape.

MEAT AND GREET - the Darling Meat Market Way!

If you are planning on having some NEW friends over and not sure what to serve, let us show you what and how. It's as easy as 1-2-3... No Mess, No Fuss (NMNF) - just like US.

STEP 1 - PURCHASE

1. Come in and have a chat to Kevin the Butcher. There's no use even attempting to engage Steve the Other Butcher who will probably be chopping, chopping, and more chopping of something in the background.

2. Tell Kevin how many people you are hosting, and he will direct you towards the deli section. He probably won't come out from behind the counter 'ços it is quite far to walk there from his usual post. [a few steps]

3. Pick out about a deli packet per person who is to be hosted at your "do", and lay them down in front of Kevin. Remember, not too far from his post.

4. At this point, Steve may start offering some advice. Ignore Steve. He's the chopper who prepares the best cuts on the West Coast, so he is not to be disturbed.

5. Kevin may then suggest some locally-sourced mustards, relishes, and chili sauces that would be the perfect fit for the meat that you have selected. All are available in-store and all are reasonably priced.

6. Stand patiently while Kevin writes your selections onto a piece of paper which you'll take to the till to pay by card or cash. The tellers are very friendly, so you can breathe easily at this point. Once the payment has gone through, vat jou goed en trek, Ferreira.

STEP 2 - ASSEMBLE & SERVE

1. At home, unpack the items onto the kitchen counter, summon your best Nataniël presentation powers, and lay out the meats and relishes as per the pic below. Any arrangement should do - just don't forget to add a bit of green.

2. Serve to your guests who will immediately become huisvriende because of how delicious the platter is.

STEP 3 - TIDY UP

1. Take the empty platter to the kitchen for washing up.

2. Decant any remaining sauces into the original packaging and put in the fridge.

3. Go to bed - it's only 1 platter and 5 bowls to wash - give yourself permission to do the washing in the morning. Or tell your husband to do them if he was not well enough behaved during the "do".

English words that have long been forgotten

Uhtceare
Lying awake and worrying about the day ahead.

Kakistocracy
Goverment by the least qualified or worst people.

Old ads which wouldn't be allowed today

View attachment 249228

Shoooooweeeeeee ... displaying BOTH ankles OMG it's a travesty I tell you:rolleyes: .... :giggle:

Never mind today, I'm surprised it was allowed back in ye day ... mind you ... a male medical doctor invented the vibrator back in the late 1800's, to help out with curing "the maladies" / "woman's hysteria", aka sexual frustration, as men of the day were somewhat "self serving", and it had become endemic.

What is writ here is really deceptive and I'm not referring to the gastro part.

In the past, all products were labelled as R/kg. For R100 I get a lump of stuff that is approximately this massive. Almost everyone understood this. This dubious ham is labelled as R 39.99 for 400g. Some of us are able to do quick mental arithmetic and realise that we are paying R100/kg. I am certain that the vast majority of people in this world can't do this calculation on the fly in a busy supermarket.

Have you ever noticed that this deceptive technique is almost always used when pricing expensive items such as cheese, salami, meat etc. The shopper looks at the item and says Ok, I'm prepared to pay R 39.99 for this lump. Cheese is often sold in 900g packages. Work that one out in a crowded, busy, noisy supermarket with the kids screaming and demanding sweets!

I have not even mentioned the R0.99 issue.

Work this out. It may surprise you. It's from a local supermarket's website.

Screenshot 2022-01-31 102853.jpg Screenshot 2022-01-31 102913.jpg

Puns and One-liners

Dogs can’t operate MRI scanners, but catscan.

How’s my long distance relationship going? So far, so good.

20211201_092614.jpg
Saw this at a local store. For some reason, I expected the juice to be a lil more brown

Back