And so it was writ...

Lost in Translation

Rolls-Royce changed the name of its Silver Mist car as mist translates as "excrement" in German.
The car was named Silver Shadow instead.

Just saw this gem of a YT comment:

upload_2021-11-4_15-2-39.png

Apart from providing oxygen Steve?!?!?! These damn useless trees I tell you...

In response to an invitation for a rather unusual REUNION of all time greats:

Darwin said he'd wait to see what evolved.
Pierre and Marie Curie radiated enthusiasm.

vQQ3qZ3X7ZmL23EkgBxVmNoxdNXjxzr5i0LSWnVjNt91SxKk9R7dBKvQeXpgM3rdVggz059jWTSOn-k0oPMjNYwazdAd8mAM6h458d0SMQhuws40hT64YENEUzm8-pRFLHl8UlQqAryxx7hhUx5I7pdYC5f4x1GH

The written word can be very confusing.
Some politicians are well known for giving seemingly comprehensive answers which really provide no answer.
Others use impressive-sounding words that are intended to confuse the listener into believing that the message must be truly deep and meaningful.

Deepak Chopra is well known for this. Take a look at this fun random quote generator which was compiled using random words from his Twitter stream.

http://wisdomofchopra.com/

The written word can be very confusing.
Some politicians are well known for giving seemingly comprehensive answers which really provide no answer.
Others use impressive-sounding words that are intended to confuse the listener into believing that the message must be truly deep and meaningful.

Deepak Chopra is well known for this. Take a look at this fun random quote generator which was compiled using random words from his Twitter stream.

http://wisdomofchopra.com/

I got this

Knowledge is a reflection of the doorway to creativity

The best way to impress and confuse your drunk friends :p

I got this

Knowledge is a reflection of the doorway to creativity

The best way to impress and confuse your drunk friends :p

I agree. Drunk friends are too easy.

The sad thing is that you can also fool bright people. I am willing to bet that you could turn the generated phrase above into a Philosophy 1 question. Something like this:

"Knowledge is a reflection of the doorway to creativity"

Discuss Plato's views on art (creativity) in relation to knowledge with reference to the above phrase. Plato said that art is a copy of a copy. In other words, it is takes us further and further away from reality. If knowledge is a justified true belief how does it relate to creative endeavours or art?

Swartland Municipality says, "We unfortunately do expect the load shedding stage to escalate into the weekend as soon as we have a better understanding of when these problems will be resolved."

I nominate the above as the Chirp of the Week @ARYANTO

So when their understanding escalates, load-shedding escalates? Let's hope that they never understand a darn thing!

"wot u mean, i ddnt get ur msg"

and that is the kinda sh!t i have to translate when my 13y/o sends me messages... I then just respond in Afrikaans, so that she does not understand me either.

Outside of inventing various acronyms on the fly, (and Androids spellchecker doing it's own thing), the current generation leave out all vowels, (unless they form part of an acronym), in messages :rolleyes:
Reciprocate by leaving out all the consonants in your replies, or ... simply intersperse a few random vowels over two or three lines of text ...
One or two of the aforementioned replies usually gets the sender to revert to (semi)understandable communication ;)

Puns and One-liners

Why did the can crusher quit his job? Because it was soda pressing.

What’s the difference between a hippo and a zippo? One is really heavy and the other is a little lighter!

I own a pencil that used to be owned by William Shakespeare, but he chewed it a lot. Now I can’t tell if it’s 2B or not 2B.

Lost in Translation

When Nokia released its Lumia phone in 2011, it didn't exactly get the reaction it was expecting.
In Spanish, Lumia is a synonym for a prostitute, although it apparently only appears in dialects with a heavy gypsy influence.

Back