Avacodo 24 wicking help needed

After reading this I am no longer getting dry hits with a 8 wrap 22awg paralell coil in my avo 24. Thanks alot! :)

The avo 24 is one amazing tank. The flavour is so so good. Its a really nice full body vape. The flavour is not as smooth as the ccell coils but it is definitely gives better flavour than the ccell coils.
The avo is definitely my favourite tank right now.
The only issue i have is that i vape between 2 or 3 diffrent juices a day and only carry 1 mod with tank to work everyday.
So i been using the avo and i have to make sure i vape every last drop of juice before refilling with a new juice.
In order to do that i litterly have to vape with my mod in the air lookinh like im downing a shooter.
This is a bit annoying.
Only solution is to buy another avo and have dedicated juices for each tank.

The avo 24 is one amazing tank. The flavour is so so good. Its a really nice full body vape. The flavour is not as smooth as the ccell coils but it is definitely gives better flavour than the ccell coils.
The only issue i have is that i vape between 2 or 3 diffrent juices a day and only carry 1 mod with tank to work everyday.
So i been using the avo and i have to make sure i vape every last drop of juice before refilling with a new juice.
In order to do that i litterly have to vape with my mod in the air lookinh like im downing a shooter.
This is a bit annoying.

Hahaha. Or be adventurous and vape whilst standing on your head. I know what you mean. I'm also looking at getting a second one.

Holy Moly, I should have seen this one coming! I just got my Avo yesterday, waited all day to try it (Ramadaan and all) and I reckon it's defeated me! :(

I'm using Olly Build It's method but I don't know if I've effed up the wicking or the coil because it's burnt hit city all day up in here.

Holy Moly, I should have seen this one coming! I just got my Avo yesterday, waited all day to try it (Ramadaan and all) and I reckon it's defeated me! :(

I'm using Olly Build It's method but I don't know if I've effed up the wicking or the coil because it's burnt hit city all day up in here.

Hi Kamiel, is there a bit of play where the wick goes through the wicking hole into the tank?

This is a bit annoying.

Two Avo's in hand quickly turned in five in hand when the Avo's 24's came out. They are also my tank of choice over all others, but then I have always built for the liquid I run in all my toppers rather than be limited to MFG builds. As for the cCell's, I do enjoy the .9Ω in tanks on TC mods where I can dial in the liquids good enough. My preferred tanks for them are now the Melo III 2ml and 4ml. Have 5 in hand, will have more for juice rotations.

The wicking also stumped me initial. I don't really push any cotton into the wick holes.
The holes are covered by fluffy cotton and I hold the mod and tank horizontally when vaping for the juice to enter the holes and wick.
Currently I'm running a 4mm ID clapton and I'm not a fan of trimming the wick to make it thinner.

I haven't had a dry hit since I decided to not push cotton down the hole.

The wicking also stumped me initial. I don't really push any cotton into the wick holes.
The holes are covered by fluffy cotton and I hold the mod and tank horizontally when vaping for the juice to enter the holes and wick.
Currently I'm running a 4mm ID clapton and I'm not a fan of trimming the wick to make it thinner.

@Christos any chance of getting a pic of your build? Would love to see how your 4mm cotton tails are sitting please.

Hi Kamiel, is there a bit of play where the wick goes through the wicking hole into the tank?
There is. I think my issue is that my coil has hotspots and the cotton arms are too long... I will rebuild, snip down and give it a go tonight.

I'm willing to try this definitely as your technique suits the sort of builds I'm used to. I'm not really a fan of the Genesis-style atty but the flavour promises and rave reviews had me intrigued enough to go in boots and all.

Will report back tonight. If it works, you're a legend sir. I'm pretty damn close to flinging this thing out the window.

I'm willing to try this definitely as your technique suits the sort of builds I'm used to. I'm not really a fan of the Genesis-style atty but the flavour promises and rave reviews had me intrigued enough to go in boots and all.

Will report back tonight. If it works, you're a legend sir. I'm pretty damn close to flinging this thing out the window.

That's the Avo for you, it's tricky to get the wicking right, but VERY, VERY rewarding when you do. Don't give up buddy. I only build claptons in it, I reckon the slower ramp up time reduces the risk of dry hits a lot. I'm running dual twisted claptons in there with a 3mm ID and they are going beautifully. The build doesn't have to be this intense, I just prefer it this way because I like a warm to hot vape. If you build slightly smaller dual claptons in there you will get everything this tank promises, minus the heat.

I keep referring to dual coils as I have had many, many issues trying to run it in single coil mode. For single coil mode you definitely should not (or just barely) tuck the tails into the juice holes.

Even on the dual coils I make the tails very, very short (tip I picked up from @Spydro). It sounds wrong and logically you should get dry hits when the tank nears empty, but it doesn't, I promise.

I'll quickly pull the wicking out and rewick it whilst taking pics. Maybe it helps you!

Give me a minute...

That's the Avo for you, it's tricky to get the wicking right, but VERY, VERY rewarding when you do. Don't give up buddy. I only build claptons in it, I reckon the slower ramp up time reduces the risk of dry hits a lot. I'm running dual twisted claptons in there with a 3mm ID and they are going beautifully. The build doesn't have to be this intense, I just prefer it this way because I like a warm to hot vape. If you build slightly smaller dual claptons in there you will get everything this tank promises, minus the heat.

I keep referring to dual coils as I have had many, many issues trying to run it in single coil mode. For single coil mode you definitely should not (or just barely) tuck the tails into the juice holes.

Even on the dual coils I make the tails very, very short (tip I picked up from @Spydro). It sounds wrong and logically you should get dry hits when the tank nears empty, but it doesn't, I promise.

I'll quickly pull the wicking out and rewick it whilst taking pics. Maybe it helps you!

Give me a minute...
L E G E N D.

Let's do this thing:

Here are the monster coils with old wick chucked:
BEFORE WICK.JPG

Jap Cotton pulled through:
INITIAL.JPG

Trimmed down:
I cut them "v" shaped, just to get those tails nice and narrow before the tuck
TRIMMED.JPG

Tucked:
Very lightly and gently, making sure there's an opening where the tails go into the juice holes. At this point I wet them up and leave them for a minute or two so that the cotton can expand and settle. After this I do my fine tuning. I have a vape, if I get spitback, I know there's too much juice passing the tails, so I fluff them out a bit to make the opening between the tails and the holes smaller. I do this until there's no spitback. So the space left in the pic below was way to much initially.
TUCKED.JPG

Gently pushing some cotton back towards the coil:
Just to make sure my cotton sits snug in the coil. (Notice the space left in the juice holes are much smaller already...)
PUSHING.JPG

Side on view:
You don't even see the tails...
SIDE ON.JPG

Air hole alignment:
I don't align the airflow with the coils (you can see the post through the air hole below), just to make sure that if there's some juice that escapes when I tilt to vape, it won't run out the air hole facing me. This makes a very nominal difference to overall airflow and insures that there is never, ever any leakage.
AIRHOLES.JPG

This is what I've been doing without any dry hits to speak of. Every now and again the cotton screws around ever so slightly and I get a little bit of spitback, I then just play around with the tails again to block enough of the juice holes to stop that. But this is a rare occurrence.

I hope this helps @Kamiel!! If you still decide to chuck the avo out your window, just let me know where that window is so that I can be there to catch it...

Adios amigo

Let's do this thing:

View attachment 57004

View attachment 57005

Trimmed down:
View attachment 57006

Tucked:
Very lightly and gently, making sure there's an opening where the tails go into the juice holes. At this point I wet them up and leave them for a minute or two so that the cotton can expand and settle. After this I do my fine tuning. I have a vape, if I get spitback, I know there's too much juice passing the tails, so I fluff them out a bit to make the opening between the tails and the holes smaller. I do this until there's no spitback. So the space left in the pic below was way to much initially.
View attachment 57007

Just to make sure my cotton sits snug in the coil. (Notice the space left in the juice holes are much smaller already...)
View attachment 57008

Side on view:
View attachment 57009

Air hole alignment:
I don't align the airflow with the coils (you can see the post through the air hole below), just to make sure that if there's some juice that escapes when I tilt to vape, it won't run out the air hole facing me. This makes a very nominal difference to overall airflow and insures that there is never, ever any leakage.
View attachment 57010

This is what I've been doing without any dry hits to speak of. Every now and again the cotton screws around ever so slightly and I get a little bit of spitback, I then just play around with the tails again to block enough of the juice holes to stop that. But this is a rare occurrence.

I hope this helps @Kamiel!! If you still decide to chuck the avo out your window, just let me know where that window is so that I can be there to catch it...

Adios amigo
Let's do this thing:

View attachment 57004

View attachment 57005

Trimmed down:
View attachment 57006

Tucked:
View attachment 57007

View attachment 57008

Side on view:
View attachment 57009

Air hole alignment:
View attachment 57010

Adios amigo
Thanks so much, bud. Shot for going out of your way to help a brother out!

I've followed your instructions verbatim (I'd send pics but my phone is out of comission) and I will report back on my findings once I break my fast this eve. I'm optimistic, though: your technique seems to be the most sound (it relies on simple gravity and not on the tails sucking up the juice like a straw). I know lot of people don't like tipping the mod when tooting but for me, it's a pretty natural action for vaping.

It's really weird how divisive this tank is, but I guess it's because there's no established methodology here. Anyway, I'm amped for tonight. Looking forward to it so much!

Stay awesome man! LEGEND.

I tend to put a slight amount of cotton in the hole but it's all surrounding the hole.

I also don't pack the clapton tight and I have had no spit back yet.

I use tweezers to put a small amount of the wick in the hole but it's just there not to flood the chamber. 20160608_153633.jpg 20160608_153627.jpg 20160608_153154.jpg 20160608_152858.jpg 20160608_152822.jpg 20160608_152635.jpg

Howsit folks,

Thanks for the awesome info that's already here. I'm struggling to get proper flavour production from my avo, ran dual 26/32 10 wrap claptons last night but the vape was too warm so I threw in a dual 26g 10 wrap SS and although it's a more comfortable vape temperature wise, the flavour is somewhat lacking when compared to the claptons.

I'm going to try a dual 24g build tonight to see how it compares but what would be best flavour build be without too much heat?

I can successfully report that the minimal cotton wicking method has treated me well. I'm getting RDA-like flavour on this thing atop my Hcigar VT200 with a single 3mm 8-wrap clapton. Love it. Won't be getting rid of it any time soon.

Howsit folks,

Thanks for the awesome info that's already here. I'm struggling to get proper flavour production from my avo, ran dual 26/32 10 wrap claptons last night but the vape was too warm so I threw in a dual 26g 10 wrap SS and although it's a more comfortable vape temperature wise, the flavour is somewhat lacking when compared to the claptons.

I'm going to try a dual 24g build tonight to see how it compares but what would be best flavour build be without too much heat?
I've only had for two days (and have only been successful with it for a few hours), but these bottom-fed tanks seem to be more orianted around clapton builds. The slower ramp-up of claptons is more conducive to a cooler vape.

Thanks @Kamiel will try a single clappie out tonight and see how she runs.

Got 3mm 10wrap dual 24g in atm with the tails of the wicks just dipping under the deck. Flavour is better but still not great - gonna give it a full day's run.

i'm running a single coil in mine, and have to say that I was also struggling my ass off with this one. First I tried the notch coils... that came out pretty quickly as the 5 mil one was hectic and kept on dry hitting because of the big coil... wicking on those are a bit iffy, need to play with it still... Then I did a fused Clapton 6 wraps 3 mil ID this seemed to work pretty well, but then it only does for about a day or two and then starts having issues...

The build I have had the most success with so far is a fused Clapton 4.2 mil ID this works like a charm.. No wicking issues... in fact, have to bump up the wattage allot in order to get rid of excess juice.. move flavor and vapor that way in any case, hehe

I still need to play around allot with the wicking on this one.. Have to say, wicking on the Griffin is SOOOOOOOOOO much simpler and fool proof to do, especially when compared to the avocado... But, all that being said, this is my first genesis style tank and I have had 0 experience on them... i'm even considering trying those old ss mesh wicking techniques :)

so to summarize what worked for me was to increase the ID of the coil, pretty sure you don't need to go all out and have a 4.2 like I did but hey, it works, hehe :)

I can successfully report that the minimal cotton wicking method has treated me well. I'm getting RDA-like flavour on this thing atop my Hcigar VT200 with a single 3mm 8-wrap clapton. Love it. Won't be getting rid of it any time soon.

It's great, if your'e getting the single build right you've definitely figured this tank out. I still battle with the single builds, but then again, I don't spend too much time perfecting it as I need huge dual coils for the heat I require!

Njoy you avo mate!

Thanks @Kamiel will try a single clappie out tonight and see how she runs.

Got 3mm 10wrap dual 24g in atm with the tails of the wicks just dipping under the deck. Flavour is better but still not great - gonna give it a full day's run.

Tell you what, send me 100ml Alpha Charlie and I'll help you sort your Avo out... Hehehe.

Claptons seem to be the way to go with this tank for flavour and cloud. A colleague of mine runs a bit smaller dual build in there, getting very good flavour and very little heat as he also doesn't like a warm vape.

His build is dual fused clapton with a 2.4mm ID, 5 full wraps. Decent cloud, good flavour. Maybe worth a try? I don't like this build though, for me the Avo wants large diameter claptons for superior flavour and cloud. But then you need to live with the heat. I love a warm to hot vape, so it feels like Geekvape made this thing especially for me...

Don't know if you've seen, but Rip trippers reckons this tank is for single claptons only. Amazing how taste differs. It's a good thing though, overwise we'd all be driving purple 3L Ford Cortina's.

The secret to the Avo, Avo 24 and the Theorem is to trim the thickness of the wick tails going into the tanks itself to around 50% of the thickness going through the actual coil.
Thank you Uncle Rob - I was trying to articulate that for some time now on the Forum - so I will revert to say I'll Second that motion, especilaly with macro coil builds and the insane Vertical coil build wicking.

Back