Battery Damage

Reinvanhardt

Just Vapist
LV

Awards
Hi folks

So this is a Samsung ICR 18650-26F (unprotected) and it's about 2-3 months old. I have no idea how this damage occurred as I haven't dropped it and I'm quite careful when inserting and removing from device and charger.

My question is can I repair this myself with a thin strip of electrical tape around the edge of the battery? And if not, how safe is it to continue using this in my SVD?

Thanks and regards!Samsung ICR.jpg

Usually the plastic goes when they get too hot - so check the warmth of the battery when vaping

but yeah, some electrical tape should be fine

No worries :) - but invest in some ICR batteries when you buy again - IMR's can be scary

EDIT: this info is wrong - below is the right answer :)

Last edited:
Ha - yes sorry - medicine head here not thinking to clearly

IMR batteries good, ICR's not so good - but fine if you treat them properly

Yeah I'm getting some IMR's very soon for my MECHANICAL future! But glad to hear I can still rely on this one for the SVD. Cheers!

Heh sorry - fueled up on meds because I'm sick at home, so the brain is a bit fuzzy :)

why is the top of the battery black? that's not good. that's a short, probably from the top of the battery not making proper contact with the positive pin of the svd. that could mean the spring in the bottom isnt strong enough maybe. i've been using the same batteries for over 5 months now. busy waiting on this
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1334306
right now to wrap some damaged battery covers i have myself :)

just looked at the picture again, if the center of the battery is concave now, then its because the spring is too strong. can't quite make out from the picture as it's not 3d like my eyeballs ;)

why is the top of the battery black? that's not good. that's a short, probably from the top of the battery not making proper contact with the positive pin of the svd. that could mean the spring in the bottom isnt strong enough maybe. i've been using the same batteries for over 5 months now. busy waiting on this
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1334306
right now to wrap some damaged battery covers i have myself :)

You can buy heatshrink sleaving from your local electronic or electrical supply store?

Hi @denizenx. That's just how it came out of the camera. The colour is straight up metallic silver. Also the centre is completely flat albeit a bit jutted in relative to the surrounding edges. Looks normal though. My only concern was the sleaving possibly tearing off more.

I think @SunRam knows of a supplier of nice heatshrink for batteries. I recall seeing he had re-covered one of his cells.

I think @SunRam knows of a supplier of nice heatshrink for batteries. I recall seeing he had re-covered one of his cells.

He does still need to get the details from him to wrap one of mine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

That bat looks as if the pole has dented in from dropping it into the ecig cylinder instead of sliding it in. Now the pole looks lower than the collar. This may cause sparking due to bad contact and heating the immediate area.
If the bat was overheating, then the whole bat will make bubbles.

@devdev this is the stuff. Not sure if it's available locally.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1323904
Exactly that, I heat shrink all my batts the minute I get them. Became a habit when I was using Panasonic cgr's, since they're not covered with a plastic sleeve at the bottom, causing them to fire automatically in mech mods. Besides that, it's an extra layer of protection, helping to prevent hard shorts in a mech mod (I find it amazing that such a thin layer of plastic prevents a catastrophic battery failure, so better safe than sorry ;))

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

That's an excellent idea to do it immediately on arrival. I normally wait until the poor quality wrapping starts to tear then wrap in proper heat shrink, even the locally available heat shrink is way more stronger.

Ok, so how do you apply the heat shrink please? And what length to cut it?

Cut the heat shrink about 10mm longer than your battery. Slip over battery with 5mm overlap on each end. Use hair drier or blow torch (lowest setting) and turn battery around while heating the heat shrink. Standard heat shrink, shrinks 30% of its diameter. Hope this explain it clearly.

@johanct Where can I source heatshrink from for an 18650 locally?

Back