So my wife just did two pieces of Biltong for us
d665493d50fb31372eb7979f36800619.jpg

Sent by iDad's iPhone
That looks great @RenaldoRheeder

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Late in the day but here is takealots daily deal

f78888271277d70f8f4eccd2b05f0997.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@RenaldoRheeder , I see you have two of these units, the reviews on takealot is mixed, most complain that the fan will die on you, some complain about the light buld, ect ect. Any issues that you had so far?

@RenaldoRheeder , I see you have two of these units, the reviews on takealot is mixed, most complain that the fan will die on you, some complain about the light buld, ect ect. Any issues that you had so far?

@Shatter - I actually have 3 . On one of them I had to replace the bulb fitting and on another one the fan. Both incidents after a long period of use. Both are low cost components and relatively easy to replace. I think it can be considered as fair use wear and tear.

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Last edited:
Asking help from the biltong connoisseurs, temp hit 33 degrees average today here, is it to hot? or fine to still get the perfect home made biltong

So today i went to freddy hirsch and got some spice and bought silverside at fruit and veg @ R89.99/kg they are staying in the fridge for the night and tomorrow i will hang them

Attachments

• IMG-20171127-WA0014.jpeg
    IMG-20171127-WA0014.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20171127-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20171127-WA0016.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20171127-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20171127-WA0019.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20171127-WA0022.jpeg
    IMG-20171127-WA0022.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 27
So today i went to freddy hirsch and got some spice and bought silverside at fruit and veg @ R89.99/kg they are staying in the fridge for the night and tomorrow i will hang them
Nice one! what was the exact recipe that you used?
I used a recipe from my buddy's wife, she swears by it, so i had to have a go on it (mainly cuz she was ordering me to, and brought all the ingredients and biltong pack to me, with the deal that she wants some of it). 2cups brown vinegar with 1 cup Worcestershire sauce and the spices you get with the Spar biltong pack, mix the vinegar and worcester together, leave the meat in it for 10min, take out into a braai bak and sprinkle the spice over the meat, leave in the fridge for 12 hours and hang. Also needed to cut the meat in half for faster drying time. been drying since Sunday 20:00(Didn't had time to get the light bulb, will get tomorrow) 1st workload for the biltong dryer on Sunday, so far so good. like this diy biltong lol.

IMG_20171126_185700.jpg

Nice one! what was the exact recipe that you used?
I used a recipe from my buddy's wife, she swears by it, so i had to have a go on it (mainly cuz she was ordering me to, and brought all the ingredients and biltong pack to me, with the deal that she wants some of it). 2cups brown vinegar with 1 cup Worcestershire sauce and the spices you get with the Spar biltong pack, mix the vinegar and worcester together, leave the meat in it for 10min, take out into a braai bak and sprinkle the spice over the meat, leave in the fridge for 12 hours and hang. Also needed to cut the meat in half for faster drying time. been drying since Sunday 20:00(Didn't had time to get the light bulb, will get tomorrow) 1st workload for the biltong dryer on Sunday, so far so good. like this diy biltong lol.

View attachment 114684
I am trying something different at the moment will first try it out before i share my recipe this might turn out to be a flop. I also forgot to add brown sugar but will hang it tomorrow and se how it goes

I am trying something different at the moment will first try it out before i share my recipe this might turn out to be a flop. I also forgot to add brown sugar but will hang it tomorrow and se how it goes
Ya true, this one might also be a flop lol, the progress of diy. Please do share your findings on the batch you made. What's the purpose of the brown sugar? to add sweetness or?

Ya true, this one might also be a flop lol, the progress of diy. Please do share your findings on the batch you made. What's the purpose of the brown sugar? to add sweetness or?
I am not really sure but most recipes i found says that it should be added.

The sugar balances the other spice and the vinegar

Here is our next batch - but I won't have any. I'll be traveling to SA on Wednesday before it is ready

2016bc837dc9cc044aaad318c8a5ed75.jpg

Sent by iDad's iPhone

I ordered the Mellerware biltong maker from Takealot on a Black Friday special, will give this biltong making a go next week. With the amount of biltong I buy and being quite finicky that it needs to have enough fat and not be dry I think this will be an exciting experiment :D

Is there anything crucial that I should know before embarking on this adventure?

I bought the drying station today :oops:
This forum in general is bad for my bank balance :D

I ordered the Mellerware biltong maker from Takealot on a Black Friday special, will give this biltong making a go next week. With the amount of biltong I buy and being quite finicky that it needs to have enough fat and not be dry I think this will be an exciting experiment :D

Is there anything crucial that I should know before embarking on this adventure?
I'm going to go all out and spice my meat in my own concoction that has been developed in the past 10 years of braaing.

My only observations so far is to use silver side beef cuts and to soak for a good 24 hours.
The rest is experience and finding what you like.

We made our own biltong on the farm for many years. We never used a commercially made biltong dryer. We used a simple floor mounted fan tilted upwards to flow over the Biltong which hung from galvanised wires stretched across the rafters. Flies etc couldn't fly in the fan's moving air. Never had any problems this way.
My top tip is to make a few smaller pieces. This way you can start eating "samples" after around two days. Even less if you can't resist it.

I use the Crown Safari Biltong mix.
Also have a Mellerware biltong machine for the summer days i prefer not to use the light.

Back