Biltong making

I need some info / teachings here. The vinegar is to cure the meat correct? and then the salt/spice for flavour. So should you mix everything together to make a type of brine? And then let the biltong soak or marinate in it, or should one leave it in the vinegar concoction, take it out, then spice it and hang?

How haven't I seen this thread ???

Ok so I also have a food dehydrator which dries around 2kgs of biltong in around 10 hours.

Silverside/rump steak , brown vinegar , brown sugar and crown national spice. Perfect biltong every single time
Mind sharing the process you are using? :) eg. amount of vinegar, spice, time ect ect ect

Mind sharing the process you are using? :) eg. amount of vinegar, spice, time ect ect ect
I buy silverside steaks for biltong. I have a big plastic container for the prep. I pour enough brown grape vinegar into the container to almost cover the meat.

I then place the steaks into the brown vinegar to wet them, and put spices to taste. When one side is spiced enough, I flip over the steaks to spice the other side.

At this point you could leave it be, but my biltong was always too "vinegary". My father in law told me to add a tablespoon of brown treacle sugar for every tablespoon of salt. I wasn't this precise though. I just added the sugar as I saw fit.

Once sorted, leave the steaks to marinate in the brown vinegar, brown sugar, salt, spice mixture for about 24 hours. I turn the steaks over once during that time.

The next day I then hang them up. But I do add spice again because the marinade does wash off the spices.

In my dehydrator, in jhb, without using the light, the biltong will be ready for me in about two days. This timing usually leaves the outside just like store bought biltong, but the inside still quite wet. I like it this way. You could leave it longer to be even drier.

Cost of this is about R150/kg, so almost 50% cheaper than stores prices.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Back