Building experience

Jean claude Vaaldamme

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
I have seem many times people suggest new vapers should not start by building rta's/rda etc.
So now Im wondering, how do you get experience?
Have someone thats been vaping for 5 years with this normal attomizers that you just buy ready made coils/wicks and screw it in, gained more building experience than a newbie?
How do you get this expeeience, except by buying an rta/rda and ask and youtube?

It is all about safety.

If you are the type of person who :

- Listens to advice
- follows the 'rules"
- is used to working with your hands and making thing
- is aware of safety
- understands Ohms Law
- easily learns new skills
- does your own research
- etc etc.

then, by all means, go ahead.

Most forum members give the kind advice you mentioned to new members because not all newbies take the necessary care. I am sometimes shocked by the questions asked by seasoned vapers, let alone newbies (I hate the word newbies). It is safer to advise caution.

The advice given is aimed at the average user. If you are an electrical engineer it wouldn't necessarily apply to you (although I know an experienced electrical engineer who I wouldn't trust to wire my house).

I have seem many times people suggest new vapers should not start by building rta's/rda etc.
Have someone thats been vaping for 5 years with this normal attomizers that you just buy ready made coils/wicks and screw it in, gained more building experience than a newbie?
How do you get this expeeience, except by buying an rta/rda and ask and youtube?

I think its more in the line of we don’t want to put new vapers off vaping because building/wicking takes time and practice. It can be super frustrating and needs practice, its not something that is made for everyone and can put you off vaping right away.

If i started building/wicking at the very beginning then mostly likely i would of smashed everything and gone back to smoking.

After a while and now that you’ve given up smoking for good then its an excellent time to frustrate yourself alittle and start your tour through the wonderful rabbit hole that awaits you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is all about safety.

If you are the type of person who :

- Listens to advice
- follows the 'rules"
- is used to working with your hands and making thing
- is aware of safety
- understands Ohms Law
- easily learns new skills
- does your own research
- etc etc.

then, by all means, go ahead.

Most forum members give the kind advice you mentioned to new members because not all newbies take the necessary care. I am sometimes shocked by the questions asked by seasoned vapers, let alone newbies (I hate the word newbies). It is safer to advise caution.

The advice given is aimed at the average user. If you are an electrical engineer it wouldn't necessarily apply to you (although I know an experienced electrical engineer who I wouldn't trust to wire my house).
Yes thanks that I Understand, but still dont know how vaping for 5years is going to give you building coil experience. Im trying to understand what advantage will somene have, that has been vaping a few years over someone thats new, when it comes to building a coil and wick.

If some say to a new vaper that building coils is a bit extra work and you will have to learn that first etc, then I understand.
But I you say building is only for experienced vapers, then it confuse me, as I wonder how you get any experience in building, if you dont build?

Yes thanks that I Understand, but still dont know how vaping for 5years is going to give you building coil experience. Im trying to understand what advantage will somene have, that has been vaping a few years over someone thats new, when it comes to building a coil and wick.

If some say to a new vaper that building coils is a bit extra work and you will have to learn that first etc, then I understand.
But I you say building is only for experienced vapers, then it confuse me, as I wonder how you get any experience in building, if you dont build?
Patience, that is why it is easier for a vaper who has been vaping for a while to build and wick a rta or rda. It does not necessarily mean 5 years, it can be 1 month, or 3 months. If you have vaped with coils for that long you have gotten used to the cleaning and new coil routine, and the time and frustration with a rta or rda will not necessarily put you off vaping. This time frame will differ from vaper to vaper. As @jm10 said, if he had to do it when he just quit, he most probably would still be a smoker, and in all honesty so would I in all probability.

I started coiling and wicking my first rta after about 3 months, under close supervision and with assistance from a experienced vaper and I was in that vape shop for an hour every night, 5 x a week untill I got it right. By the end of those 3 months I had 5 RTA’s running at any given time, flavour junkie that I am! I am a chain vaper by nature running up to 7 devices a day now, and when I stopped smoking I went through a coil in 3 - 4 days max. So cost wise it was a good and cost efficient thing to learn.

The main thing is that vaping by its very nature teaches you patience, and you will learn about Ohm’s Law and battery safety and everything else in this time. All of this prepares you for your journey forward. I currently have 5 mech mods, and have been using then for about 6 months now, and I’m still very wary when it comes to building for them, even with 12 months of “normal” building before I got the first one. This is then also why most more experienced vapers will never suggest a mech mod as a starter kit for a new vaper, there is just too much that can go wrong.

I wonder how you get any experience in building, if you dont build?

You clearly don't get any experience in coil building in the scenario you put forward.

You would, however, learn several helpful things. These would include battery safety, dry hits, the difference between low vs high ohm coils , what juice suits what type of coil, how to operate the menu on your mod effectively, what type of coil wire you prefer (kanthal,ss ni), what battery you need to use with low ohm coils etc.

As I said above, the new vaper with the necessary knowledge and ability could become a coil builder relatively early.

That having been said, If I owned a vape shop, I wouldn't sell a new vaper a mech mod, an atty and some coil wire. I would first want to know that he/she knew what to do with the equipment, and could do it safely.

I work with my hands every day, I know more than most about both AC and DC etc.etc . Despite this, I would never have considered making my own coils until I felt that I could do it safely.

You clearly don't get any experience in coil building in the scenario you put forward.

You would, however, learn several helpful things. These would include battery safety, dry hits, the difference between low vs high ohm coils , what juice suits what type of coil, how to operate the menu on your mod effectively, what type of coil wire you prefer (kanthal,ss ni), what battery you need to use with low ohm coils etc.

As I said above, the new vaper with the necessary knowledge and ability could become a coil builder relatively early.

That having been said, If I owned a vape shop, I wouldn't sell a new vaper a mech mod, an atty and some coil wire. I would first want to know that he/she knew what to do with the equipment, and could do it safely.

I work with my hands every day, I know more than most about both AC and DC etc.etc . Despite this, I would never have considered making my own coils until I felt that I could do it safely.

Hehe yes I never said anything about mech mods. That is a different story. I think many experienced builders wont even take on mech mods. But a good regulated mod, I assume not much can go wrong with it even if you make a mistake when building?

Hehe yes I never said anything about mech mods. That is a different story. I think many experienced builders wont even take on mech mods. But a good regulated mod, I assume not much can go wrong with it even if you make a mistake when building?
It is a lot safer than a mech, but not a foolproof option. Even with a regulated mod you must still think of battery capacity vs build etc as things can still go wrong, maybe just not as wrong as with a mech.

Vaping for 5 years != building for 5 years.
Although in 5 years one could learn more about ohms law, wattage,wire types, heat flux, battery CDR, safety limits and margins and general donts to avoid needing new front teeth.

That being said, acquiring an RDA or RTA is usually driven by saving costs instead of purchasing prebuilt coils continuously. Also, having a commercial coil atty and a RDA or RTA also allows you to have a backup and experiment with wire types and cotton types to fine tune your experience to your needs and preferences.

I started building very early in my vape life and even though my initial coils were garbage they worked for me and kept me off stinkies and mentally stimulated.

Hi @Jean claude Vaaldamme

I started building coils about 2months or so after I started with vaping. I was on the Twisp Clearo and wanted something a bit more powerful. In those days, subtanks with powerful commercial coils were not out yet so I started with drippers and wire. I was lucky to have @TylerD back in the day show me how at a vape meet. And i continued building with all sorts of gauges of wire. Fascinating.

I dont think there is a specific time to start building. For some it can be from the start and for others they may prefer never to build their own coils.

The thing is that we here are mostly enthusiasts and we strive to get the best vape. So we go to great lengths discussing these things and getting involved in the hobby side of it. And i will say that vaping is an amazing hobby with so many aspects.

But there are also people out there that just want to vape and arent really interested in the hobby side or building coils etc. They just want to buy their vape, their coils and their juice - and vape - with no fuss or bother.

I must agree with you guys. I started vaping about 4 months ago with a Smok X8 kit. Once I'd learned how to clean that and replace coils etc. I wanted more power and control, so I got a regulated mod and sub-ohm kit like a month later. By this point I'd quit stinkies completely. Only after another month on the normal sub-ohm kit did I feel ready to try an rta (mostly to save on the cost of pre-built coils). Got me an older model rta cheap and now that I'm comfortable building and wicking my own coils, I'm ready to invest in more high end equipment.

I also would've probably gone back to smoking if I'd just started on an rta from the beginning as it definitely requires a lot more patience.

Hi @Jean claude Vaaldamme

I started building coils about 2months or so after I started with vaping. I was on the Twisp Clearo and wanted something a bit more powerful. In those days, subtanks with powerful commercial coils were not out yet so I started with drippers and wire. I was lucky to have @TylerD back in the day show me how at a vape meet. And i continued building with all sorts of gauges of wire. Fascinating.

I dont think there is a specific time to start building. For some it can be from the start and for others they may prefer never to build their own coils.

The thing is that we here are mostly enthusiasts and we strive to get the best vape. So we go to great lengths discussing these things and getting involved in the hobby side of it. And i will say that vaping is an amazing hobby with so many aspects.

But there are also people out there that just want to vape and arent really interested in the hobby side or building coils etc. They just want to buy their vape, their coils and their juice - and vape - with no fuss or bother.
I read this thread earlier today, very interresting https://www.ecigssa.co.za/show-us-your-working-wick-and-coil-setup.t246/

The other point to make is that some devices are harder to coil and wick correctly than others

And first time coilers may be put off the whole thng if their first experience is with one of those very finicky setups where everything has to be perfect to get a good vape.

LOL. I almost gave up on the building because of this. Was just dry hits the first few times I wicked my RTA.

But the satisfaction when I finally got it right... :MEGUSTA:

My first building experience was shortly after I started vaping, and I am glad that I did - the flexibility of fine-tuning the vaping experience and cost saving makes it absolutely worthwhile. I chose the Serpent SMM RTA to start with and used a few ready made coils and simple NI80 wire to start. My first build had a short, but a few messages later exchanged with @Rob Fisher and the second build was spot on. Never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back