Calling all DIY'ers

I might add some Vienna cream to tbe Catalan cream on the next tester.

My 2c - I've been playing around quite a bit with FW Key Lime & have found it to fade over time & with that if you add a crust undertone, it tends to become dominant. I've found that using FW Key lime at 4-5% & adding FA Lime Tahity (cold pressed) 1% seems to hold the fading a bit. @Viper_SA & @rogue zombie try using FW Biscuit, Sweet Cream or Fresh Cream with 0,5% Sweetner.

Last edited:
My 2c - I've been playing around quite a bit with INW Key Lime & have found it to fade over time & with that if you add a crust undertone, it tends to become dominant. I've found that using INW Key lime at 4-5% & adding FA Lime Tahity (cold pressed) 1% seems to hold the fading a bit. @Viper_SA & @rogue zombie try using INW Biscuit, Sweet Cream or Fresh Cream with 0,5% Sweetner.

AFAIK there is no INW key lime?

Just a quick question, I spend about 800 - 900 a month on commercial juices. If I start diy, how would the cost compare?
starting cost would be about the same but you can make it as cheap or expensive as you likr. Rule of thumb I would say a running cost of about R1.50 / ml

Sent from Mars

I need scale, syringe, bottles, vg, pg, and flavourings. Enough?

So many flavour brands. Which is the most popular?

Pg based nicotine means it factors into ratio of pg/vg?

I need scale, syringe, bottles, vg, pg, and flavourings. Enough?

So many flavour brands. Which is the most popular?

Pg based nicotine means it factors into ratio of pg/vg?
Yip, that should do it. Do consider some spouts for flow control when you add into the container on your scale.

For a long time TFA concentrates were most widely available here, probably still is. Personally, I like FA concentrates as you need far less for the same result. But, a lot depends on your recipe. I first researched and collected popular recipes, which also suited my tastes, before I ordered my first concentrates.

Yes, correct as to your assumption on PG based nic.

Okay so, reporting back from my first DIY Liquid making:

Recipe 1
PG/VG ratio of 30/70
Nicotine level: 3mg
Flavour Percentage: 20%

10% TFA Bubblegum
10% TFA Cotton Candy
Steeping Time: 1 day

Results
Opening the bottle and putting your nose up close takes you back to your childhood with those cheap blue bubblegums you use to be able to buy 10 for 50c. As soon as you are done sniffing the bottle, you can actually "taste" the candy floss at the back of your nasal passage.

Dripping at 85watts on 0.26 ohms
The taste is okay, you get a fruity taste on the inhale, and after exhaling, your lips and mouth does taste of bubblegum.

Dripping at 70watts on 0.26ohms
More or less the same as on 85watts, but the bubblegum is starting to come through on the inhale.

Dripping at 55watts on 0.26ohms
Just...wow... definitely a low power vape juice. The bubblegum flavour on the inhale is really potent,
your mouth and lips even have that bubblegum aftertaste. The sweetness stiill lingers as I take another toot just for the sake of it.

Recipe 2
PG/VG ratio of 30/70
Nicotine level: 3mg
Flavour Percentage: 20%

8% TFA Bubblegum
8% TFA Cotton Candy
4% TFA Bavarian Cream
Steeping Time: 1 day

Results
More or less the same smell as recipe one, but not as sweet. Feels like the smell is lacking something, but hell, my first go at this so lets try it out.

Dripping at 55watts on 0.26 ohms
The taste is so-so, definitely not as good as recipe 1 was at low wattage, but definitely not a throw-away.

Dripping at 70watts on 0.26ohms
Flavour is more pronounced than what it was at 55watts, the sweetness and bubblegum is starting to come through on the inhale.

Dripping at 85watts on 0.26ohms
Sweetspot reached. This is for sure a higher watter liquid. Now I know at this point most of you would have thought, "Well you didn't really let it steep..." and I know this.

Seeing as I only made 20ml's of each, I tried to not drain the 2 bottles in a day. Recipe 1 stayed consistent in taste after a period of 1 week. Recipe 2 has definitely improved with age, although the 20ml bottle is now nearly finished.

What I learned:
The addition of Bavarian Cream definitely requires a longer steeping period. If I wasn't so hasty in testing out my first mixes, I probably would have had a better vape altogether. Recipe 2 is now properly vapable at lower power, and I can drip it continuously.

I have mixed another 60ml's of recipe 1 and will be handing out tasters somewhere later this week.
So far I have had compliments on both recipe 1 and 2 and can't wait to try out a new recipe soon.

Sorry for long post, enthusiasm has me going!

@Switchy great write up on the recipes!

Just a note, something I learned along the way is beware of high% recipes, they can give a wierd chemical taste. Rather start lower and add to your next mixture if you feel you it's not quite right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@moonunit
Agree 100%, only reason I went so high is that I read on a couple of places that the Bubblegum flavour is not a very potent flavour by itself.

That is why I now mixed a larger batch, and if this larger batch comes out the same as the smaller batch, then atleast I know it works for this recipe.

My new recipe I'm trying is a strawberry/banana/yoghurt type mix, and the flavour percentage comes out to around 16% of the total.

Will report my findings as soon as I have tested it.

Also, thank you for the input, making notes!

@Andre @rogue zombie, I mixed up a small batch of Bora Bora White on Saturday and added 0.5% FA Blackcurrant. Running in a Cyclone on a Reo, 28 awg 316L SS at around 0.67 ohm. Really like the effect.

Yah @rogue zombie, I mixed it up just before I ordered the Smoked Plum. Been looking for something like dried apricot or prune to add to tobacco.

@Andre @rogue zombie, I mixed up a small batch of Bora Bora White on Saturday and added 0.5% FA Blackcurrant. Running in a Cyclone on a Reo, 28 awg 316L SS at around 0.67 ohm. Really like the effect.
Great stuff. I can only imagine Black Currant, with it sweet and tart notes, will make it a very interesting vape. Shall give it a go. One of the reasons I like Bora Bora - very versatile.
Did you add the Vanilla Classic to this batch?

I also have some INW Smoked Plum. I haven't come up with anything good.

So if you guys do find how to use it well @Viper_ZA @Andre, please keep me posted.

It is a great flavour though!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Great stuff. I can only imagine Black Currant, with it sweet and tart notes, will make it a very interesting vape. Shall give it a go. One of the reasons I like Bora Bora - very versatile.
Did you add the Vanilla Classic to this batch?

Yes @Andre, completely original this batch. Also mixed the the one with the Nut Mic and a straight up one.

I also have some INW Smoked Plum. I haven't come up with anything good.

So if you guys do find how to use it well @Viper_ZA @Andre, please keep me posted.

It is a great flavour though!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I found a recipe here, which sounds interesting. However, FA Desert Ship, which I do not have, seems to be the main player. Once I get my hands on same, shall mix it up.

I found a recipe here, which sounds interesting. However, FA Desert Ship, which I do not have, seems to be the main player. Once I get my hands on same, shall mix it up.

Also been looking for Desert Ship locally, sure VV will be able to bring it in. You could always try it with Storm, will probably not be the same, but could be good in it's own way.

@Andre, Storm to me tastes like herbs more than tobacco. Almost like camphor/menthol combo with very slight hints of tobacco. Maybe TFA Turkish could be subbed for Desert Ship.

@Andre, Storm to me tastes like herbs more than tobacco. Almost like camphor/menthol combo with very slight hints of tobacco. Maybe TFA Turkish could be subbed for Desert Ship.
Yeah, my understanding is that Desert Ship is spicy. Think I shall wait until I have that in hand, thank you.

Back