Classic Wet Shaving

Jaco just sent me a pic of my newly made kit. Damn its beautiful

IMG-20200106-WA0003.jpg IMG-20200106-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
Jaco just sent me a pic of my newly made kit. Damn its beautiful

View attachment 186763 View attachment 186764

Man that's a lovely kit. I cant believe you can get a kit like that with a handmade Holder for your brush and razor and containing a Bowl for the that price, and still include a razor, a brush, pack of razors and shaving soap.... for R450 :O

All the work alone to cut the block, do all the cutouts for the bowl, razor and brush, sand and varnish and do the coating for the bowl section it's crazy.

Anyone that is looking for this kit here you go-
https://www.bundubeard.co.za/collections/razor-sets-1/products/starter-combo-in-wooden-stand

Man that's a lovely kit. I cant believe you can get a kit like that with a handmade Holder for your brush and razor and containing a Bowl for the that price, and still include a razor, a brush, pack of razors and shaving soap.... for R450 :O

All the work alone to cut the block, do all the cutouts for the bowl, razor and brush, sand and varnish and do the coating for the bowl section it's crazy.

Anyone that is looking for this kit here you go-
https://www.bundubeard.co.za/collections/razor-sets-1/products/starter-combo-in-wooden-stand
My thoughts exactly. What a bargain!

Slightly off topic, but I’ve been collecting old safety razors for a while, not very seriously but if I find one I don’t have in a pawn shop for under R200 (generally between R50-R100) I’ll buy it.
The first one I ever bought was a Gillette Rhodium Aristocrat for R50 which was just put together wrong and assumed to be broken. Only afterword did I find out it’s very sought after.
6e67739f34f9d6516b693ffa07b14520.jpg

The most recent purchase was a Gillette Fat Boy, not horribly valuable but they very loved
5f7662fa299fc2f360db8b6b56c63490.jpg

An interesting little one for the ladies
6f7df7a86befd7be31ee4ac82b6a48e7.jpg

The rest of them
8f57b83c40638a4d209d99ff8ff66938.jpg

Anyway, might be worthwhile checking out pawn shops and antique shops for a vintage shave, they just need a good run through and ultrasonic and a good steep in detol.

Slightly off topic, but I’ve been collecting old safety razors for a while, not very seriously but if I find one I don’t have in a pawn shop for under R200 (generally between R50-R100) I’ll buy it.
The first one I ever bought was a Gillette Rhodium Aristocrat for R50 which was just put together wrong and assumed to be broken. Only afterword did I find out it’s very sought after.
6e67739f34f9d6516b693ffa07b14520.jpg

The most recent purchase was a Gillette Fat Boy, not horribly valuable but they very loved
5f7662fa299fc2f360db8b6b56c63490.jpg

An interesting little one for the ladies
6f7df7a86befd7be31ee4ac82b6a48e7.jpg

The rest of them
8f57b83c40638a4d209d99ff8ff66938.jpg

Anyway, might be worthwhile checking out pawn shops and antique shops for a vintage shave, they just need a good run through and ultrasonic and a good steep in detol.

That is a awesome vintage collection of Safety's you have there @Dooky :O

I was actually busy looking around at some vintages this evening on Ebay.

Would love to get one or two or three or four or....:-D vintages one day.

Its here. Got to love that man Jaco. Even the packaging amazed me. And with a personal thank you card, hand written. THIS is what customer service should be.

20200107_092443.jpg

20200107_100544.jpg

And yes i already tried it out. And i cant see myself using normal razors ever again. Im converted. Massive thanks to @Clouds4Days for bringing this to our attention

Now if you will excuse me, im going to try and shave the neighbour's cat

I've been using a double edge safety razor for quite some time, never thought I would want to change from that, but someone on this thread...damn now I want to start with a straight razor, but damn the nice ones cost an arm and a leg. Guess I will have to save...

Its here. Got to love that man Jaco. Even the packaging amazed me. And with a personal thank you card, hand written. THIS is what customer service should be.

View attachment 186815

View attachment 186816

And yes i already tried it out. And i cant see myself using normal razors ever again. Im converted. Massive thanks to @Clouds4Days for bringing this to our attention

Now if you will excuse me, im going to try and shave the neighbour's cat

Hahahahaha :-D " shave the neighbor's cat" :-D

Jacos customer service is unmatched, best online store I have ever dealt with.

I used to shave once a week or week and half when I was on cartridges now I almost cant wait for next shave.

The whole "ritual" of prepping for traditional wet shaving and the shave itself no longer makes it just a task (for me personally).

Many happy shaves @SmokeyJoe

I've been using a double edge safety razor for quite some time, never thought I would want to change from that, but someone on this thread...damn now I want to start with a straight razor, but damn the nice ones cost an arm and a leg. Guess I will have to save...

A nice stepping stone to a straight is to try a shavette first.
You can get a parker shavette for around R300 .
I dont know if I will ever go to a straight as the Maintenance puts me off . But I got myself a Feather Artist Club DX shavette which they say is just as good as a straight but with the convenience of just being able to swop out blades.

The parker Shavette
https://www.bundubeard.co.za/products/parker-shavette
images-7.jpeg

Feather Artist Club DX
https://www.bundubeard.co.za/products/custom-straight-red-scales-polished-blade
images-8.jpeg

I think what i love the most about wet shaving as @Clouds4Days said, is the "me time". I have a hectic schedule with work and my 2 kids, and just taking the time today to prep, lather, taking the time to shave, its a meditation exercise

Great shave... will do a number one and a half on the beard a bit later! I must say the pre-shave oil seems to help!
Shaving.JPG

Any advice to make my beard grow faster? I need to shave again

I always have a issue with my neckline which is very sensitive and always stay left over with a rash like mark after a shave, going to try use some pre shave and see if it helps.
I have same issue. Even with normal razors. Ive placed an order for their post shave honey balm. Will let you know if it works

Last edited:
Back