Coil advice

But I'd also be tempted to take a step back. Vic (a Scottish YouTube vaper that I quite enjoy watching and I mostly value his opinion) has tried numerous builds with simple roundwire microcoils and gets pretty massive flavour from it compared to the fancier counterparts.

He's not alone. When I got more heavily into DIY, I expected most of the experienced DIYers to be using complicated coils. To my surprise, the majority use single simple round wire coils at low wattages. I thought I vaped low at 30W. Some of the folks in Discord barely hit 20. And these aren't n00bz with unsophisticated palates, they are highly regarded flavour reviewers and recipe developers.

That said, it's not unanimous either that single, low and simple is the way to go. Some, like ID10-T, use dual Claptons at (for me) relatively high wattages of 45-60. ConcreteRiver runs simple coils but goes dual at 60W usually. So there's a spread where everybody finds their happy place. But the assumption that fancier coils deliver better or richer or more saturated flavour doesn't always hold good.

I also heard an interesting theory that reverting to single simple coils and low wattages will help to overcome vaper's tongue. It makes sense to me as I think vaper's tongue comes from olfactory overload. If you're chucking enormous clouds at 140W from your sick quad stapled staggered framed fused Mohican Juggernauts at 0.08Ω and draining a tank in a dozen hits, you are inhaling more volatiles and flavouring molecules per puff. So you overload your senses faster and eventually they shut down. Again, it might be intuitive to conclude that inhaling more flavour molecules in a puff is going to give you more flavour. But that's like assuming that 12% Strawberry Ripe will give you twice as much flavour as 6%. Often, less is more. I prefer to be searching a bit for flavour than bombarded by it.

I second what @Silver said regarding simple ni80 builds

I was very sceptical coming from exotic coils but its been months and haven't gone back

I do think the "best" coil is subjective to what you want from it

Agreed that there is no "best" coil... It's like asking what is the "best" car. Different strokes for different folkes and all that.
I want to try some premium exotic coils to get that end of the spectrum. Done.
After I'm tired with those I'll have a go at basic diy coils and see what that is like.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Kanthal will also work but I find NI80 ramps up quicker.

Agreed and the Nichrome will also give much better flavor so try that if it will fit instead of Kanthal. The Kanthal is just works easier on smaller atomizers because of the higher resistance for the same wraps/diameter/etc. overall.

Have a look at DNA coils on Facebook. The best handmade coils in SA.SSFC for amazing flavor.

I will buy them from you if you are not satisfied.

Have a look at DNA coils on Facebook. The best handmade coils in SA.SSFC for amazing flavor.

I will buy them from you if you are not satisfied.
Thanks @CMMACKEM
Got some mini aliens for my 22 RDA and some framed staple aliens for my Serpent SMM from @Smilelykummeenit already, and they are really amazing.

Good to know there are a few other options available though.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Back