Deez DIY Magnetic Stirrer

Problem not at the the power source, connected fan and led directly to jack and both worked, so between the switch, potentiometer and Voltage regulator I did something wrong.

I stand to be corrected here, but you should be able to use on adapter to power both (Voltage wise) depending on how you connect them, But just make sure the Amperage is enough to carry the rating of both fans Combined cos it wont use more Volts but definitely more Amps

Please note I am in no way qualified to make these suggestions, but am eager to try and help :rofl::rofl:

What he said. I'm a technician and fitted a cheap ac/dc adapter to a fan on my biltong and herb dryer - has been working for over 2 years now. The original fan stopped working so replaced with a pc fan spare... Works very well.

Power was not the problem...there's something else at play here...something sinister, something older than the 1st evil, I cannot fight this, I have to destroy it.
Testing everything now, wire for wire...no point in redoing the whole schematic if it's something like a faulty wire or switch etc.

@Raindance I think I might be understanding the switches wrong. 1526324651132702864087.jpg
Led module positive connected to ON from switch. LED negative connected to Negative Ground from DC jack. DC jack positive connected to ON from switch.

Is this not supposed to create a circuit that would power up the LED when the switch is toggled? Instead it gave my spark noises at the DC jack so had to unplug it quickly. I'M sure I'm missing something?

@Raindance I think I might be understanding the switches wrong. View attachment 131965
Led module positive connected to ON from switch. LED negative connected to Negative Ground from DC jack. DC jack positive connected to ON from switch.

Is this not supposed to create a circuit that would power up the LED when the switch is toggled? Instead it gave my spark noises at the DC jack so had to unplug it quickly. I'M sure I'm missing something?
If I understand your description correctly , what you are describing is the same as connecting the led pos and neg to the power supply pos and neg. The switch is irrelevant in this circuit. As i understand it.

You mentioned earlier that the led must be on when the switch is off. This has me pussled a bit. Is it a simple switch or a dual state one? Dual state meaning when the toggle up or down completes two different circuits.

Regards

If I understand your description correctly , what you are describing is the same as connecting the led pos and neg to the power supply pos and neg. The switch is irrelevant in this circuit. As i understand it.

You mentioned earlier that the led must be on when the switch is off. This has me pussled a bit. Is it a simple switch or a dual state one? Dual state meaning when the toggle up or down completes two different circuits.

Regards
That's correct, I'm simply adding the switch to see if I understand everything correctly and also to test that all components are working. At the moment the trying to up my knowledge and trying to find a way that the logic makes sense to me.
Sorry for the misunderstanding of the previous post, the LED should not be on when the stirrer is not, I simply wired it incorrectly and then it made sense to me what.

Its a 12V 2 light strip, it works perfectly, but just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong so I can better understand how exactly switches works.
What are the specs of your led module? Does it need a led driver?

Its a 12V 2 light strip, it works perfectly, but just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong so I can better understand how exactly switches works.

I am pretty sure you need a led driver - I have a led driver that powers up to 4 x 3w led chips.

This is what I use

DSC_0245.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 131908

Its ready...but trying to make sure I have a DC adapter that won't harm anything, this took me ages to make, don't want to risk anything. Any thoughts or advice regarding adapters would be much appreciated.
You should flip those fans over, so that you can glue the magnets to the rotating base in the middle. Unless the magnets are on the other side, in which case ignore my comment.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks all, and @Dietz sorry for completely hijacking your thread. I will put all info to use and when all is working report back.
No stress @Steyn777 thats exactly why I started this thread, to document my build and hopefully help other with the same need further down the line.
Its been a fun project!

Here's my setup:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/hack-diy-magnetic-stirrer.t37471/

The setup sits on top of my PC which provides a bit of heat and the fan is connected to the fan controller on the PC board so speed control is done via software.

I also struggled with the magnets being unbalanced but hooking the fan up to the fan speed controller fixed that. Start the fan off at 40% for a few minutes (the bar barely turns but stays in sync with the fan) and the VG heats up and thins out a bit and then crank the fan up to 80% and it maintains sync. Hardly an ideal scenario but fits my needs perfectly.

Sorry for jackin' your thread @Dietz, thought I'd share a pic of my stirrer in action.
Inside is a 24vdc fan powered by a 1A power supply.

Most of the components were salvaged from things I had laying around.
IMG_20180526_145209.jpg

Sorry for jackin' your thread @Dietz, thought I'd share a pic of my stirrer in action.
Inside is a 24vdc fan powered by a 1A power supply.

Most of the components were salvaged from things I had laying around.
View attachment 133187
Retro.remi ds me of the cases we took to school in sub A and B

Sent from my X30 using Tapatalk

Back