DIY Naturally Extracted Concentrates (NET, NEC etc.)

hi guys,

how do you guys find these NET's and coil gunking ?

regards
I know that my Rodeo is a bit of a coil bunker, and that is a NET, but it’s worth it for the taste. I have only one concern and that was raised by @method1 regarding how to filter it, apparently a special filter with very small holes, ie micron size, is needed to ensure you don’t get any residue. @Steyn777 @Raindance , what type of filter are you using. I want to try a Fox and Borkun Rif Black Cavendish mix on this method to see what comes out.

@Raindance I am glued to my seat and following this closely!
For some reason I have missed ALL of the good tobacco threads including this one since I started on this forum. Let me say, a whole new window of DIY just opened up! Must be because I only saw acronyms (NET and NEC) and moved along from there :rofl:

I have a few ideas already but let me follow your project 1st and then decide on mine.

Can you tell me if this process also extracts the Nicotine from the tobacco and would there be anyway to estimate Nic strength from that?
Reason I ask is that I still have a jar of tobacco from the Amazon called Mapacho (Nicotiana rustica) and I know that has a Very high nic content so wondering about how that would come out in an extraction.

That flavor would be great, but might also be harsh depending on the extraction on the nic part of this bacco.
A negligible amount of nicotine is extracted.

hi guys,

regards
I did try my own NETs long ago without much success - for my taste at least. Coil gunkers of note.
Of the commercial NET juices I vape: Tarks Select Reserve Matador and Witchers Brew Blackbird - coil gunkers of note, but so worth it. Mr Hardwick's Rodeo I vape on a commercial coil in a tank on my e-Pipe, but reckon it does gunk, but probably a light to medium gunker. All the Black Note NET tobaccos and the El Toro NET tobaccos are superfiltered and do not gunk coils.

I know that my Rodeo is a bit of a coil bunker, and that is a NET, but it’s worth it for the taste. I have only one concern and that was raised by @method1 regarding how to filter it, apparently a special filter with very small holes, ie micron size, is needed to ensure you don’t get any residue. @Steyn777 @Raindance , what type of filter are you using. I want to try a Fox and Borkun Rif Black Cavendish mix on this method to see what comes out.
I am using coffee filters at the moment. No visible residue, it delivers a dark but clear extract. Having said that, not sure what lipids are and if my filter will eliminate them, maybe @method1 can share some more on this?

hi guys,

regards

With the little testing I have done on straight undiluted extract, coil gunker of note.

Regards

@Raindance I am glued to my seat and following this closely!
For some reason I have missed ALL of the good tobacco threads including this one since I started on this forum. Let me say, a whole new window of DIY just opened up! Must be because I only saw acronyms (NET and NEC) and moved along from there :rofl:

I have a few ideas already but let me follow your project 1st and then decide on mine.

Can you tell me if this process also extracts the Nicotine from the tobacco and would there be anyway to estimate Nic strength from that?
Reason I ask is that I still have a jar of tobacco from the Amazon called Mapacho (Nicotiana rustica) and I know that has a Very high nic content so wondering about how that would come out in an extraction.

That flavor would be great, but might also be harsh depending on the extraction on the nic part of this bacco.

AFAIK the nicotine in our e-juice is extracted from tobacco. So you'll probably get some nicotine in your extraction. How much? You'd need a lab test.

AFAIK the nicotine in our e-juice is extracted from tobacco. So you'll probably get some nicotine in your extraction. How much? You'd need a lab test.
From those that travelled this road before us we are informed that very little is extracted using our methods. The extraction methods for nicotene itself are much more complex and out of our hobbyists reach.

Regards

thanks, the gunking puts me off a tad, but as @Room Fogger states, that Rodeo does go down a treat !
I was using undiluted concentrate so diluting it to about 30% should reduce the gunking proportionally. Hitting 10ml per day in a mtl setup should need a quick pitstop at most once a day only. Mabe a lot less?

Regards

Good old coffee filters. Cheap, and they work

Good old coffee filters. Cheap, and they work

Coffee filters don’t work down to a micron level. Even with multiple passes.

Micron filters aren’t that expensive if it’s something you intend to do on an ongoing basis, great for de-gunking NETs and are crucial to use if one is doing coffee extract.

Look up lipid pneumonia, it’s not worth the risk IMO.

Micron filters aren’t that expensive if it’s something you intend to do on an ongoing basis, great for de-gunning NETs and are crucial to use if one is doing coffee extract.

You think it will have an effect even with a 1% mix ratio? Will go and have a look at micron filters anyways, like you said, not worth the risk. Thanks @method1

Micron filters aren’t that expensive if it’s something you intend to do on an ongoing basis, great for de-gunking NETs and are crucial to use if one is doing coffee extract.

Screenshot_2018-05-17-13-42-07.png
Eisch!

Thanks @method1. Dodged a bullet there!

Regards

My NEC snd NET venture was detailed in this thread. Here is the method I use, and have been using for about a year. As per @method1, proceed with caution - for own consumption only. I have made around 20 batches and have had no problems.

After quite a bit of research, I ended up with the below method, which have yielded very good, consistent results.
  • Half fill a 30ml GLASS bottle (I used a empty dripper bottle) with freshly ground coffee (or ground Rooibos). I use a small funnel which make the job easier.
  • Fill the bottle with PG. Give it a quick stir/shake to make sure the PG mixes properly with the contents.
  • Place in the microwave, without a lid, on high, for NO MORE THAN 20 SECONDS.
  • Remove from microwave and top up with PG as the coffee would have absorbed some of the PG.
  • Place the bottle in hot water (I use a mug) and let it sit for 20 minutes. I change the water every 5 minutes or so. Be careful not to get any water in the bottle. Cover with a bit of plastic wrap or place a lid on...
  • Now it is time to filter the extract. I use a Hario V60 which is a coffee dripper but you can use coffee filter paper over a cup.
  • Be sure to peg the sides of the filter paper to the mug/container using clothes pegs or something to suspend the filter inside the cup, but not to touch the bottom. About halfway up should do it.
  • I use 3 filter papers (3 filter papers placed in each other) to ensure that I filter all the possible nasties which could be present. Especially the dodgy oils in coffee...
  • Let it sit for a good 4-8 hours - overnight is preferable. This is a slooowwww drip....

That's it!

Decant into a 10ml bottle and label that baby proudly.

My NEC snd NET venture was detailed in this thread. Here is the method I use, and have been using for about a year. As per @method1, proceed with caution - for own consumption only. I have made around 20 batches and have had no problems.

After quite a bit of research, I ended up with the below method, which have yielded very good, consistent results.
  • Half fill a 30ml GLASS bottle (I used a empty dripper bottle) with freshly ground coffee (or ground Rooibos). I use a small funnel which make the job easier.
  • Fill the bottle with PG. Give it a quick stir/shake to make sure the PG mixes properly with the contents.
  • Place in the microwave, without a lid, on high, for NO MORE THAN 20 SECONDS.
  • Remove from microwave and top up with PG as the coffee would have absorbed some of the PG.
  • Place the bottle in hot water (I use a mug) and let it sit for 20 minutes. I change the water every 5 minutes or so. Be careful not to get any water in the bottle. Cover with a bit of plastic wrap or place a lid on...
  • Now it is time to filter the extract. I use a Hario V60 which is a coffee dripper but you can use coffee filter paper over a cup.
  • Be sure to peg the sides of the filter paper to the mug/container using clothes pegs or something to suspend the filter inside the cup, but not to touch the bottom. About halfway up should do it.
  • I use 3 filter papers (3 filter papers placed in each other) to ensure that I filter all the possible nasties which could be present. Especially the dodgy oils in coffee...
  • Let it sit for a good 4-8 hours - overnight is preferable. This is a slooowwww drip....

That's it!

Decant into a 10ml bottle and label that baby proudly.
Seeing that you only use PG i assume this is then used as a concentrate?

Regards

To be on the safe side NEs need to be micron filtered to get rid of particulates and especially lipids (I'm looking at you, coffee) - the latter can be dangerous to inhale.
Proceed with caution!
I agree wholeheartedly with Joel.

The key risks when using unfiltered NE is lipids and sugars (fructose, glucose, sucrose etc)

Sugars and lipids (fats, oils etc.) go bad under high heat and may release carcinogens as result.

NE can be very rewarding, just know the risks before you venture in blindly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So this afternoon I eventually got around to play with my NET extracts a bit. Just mixed up a 10% mix of the Rum and Maple extract mentioned above. 10% because the thinking is to start low and work up. The initial result is however pretty strong, possibly too strong. Will vape a bit, making sure the wick is clear of the previous juice but seems at present that this is way more concentrated than I thought was possible using this method.

Regards

So this afternoon I eventually got around to play with my NET extracts a bit. Just mixed up a 10% mix of the Rum and Maple extract mentioned above. 10% because the thinking is to start low and work up. The initial result is however pretty strong, possibly too strong. Will vape a bit, making sure the wick is clear of the previous juice but seems at present that this is way more concentrated than I thought was possible using this method.

Regards
I got to taste this on our drive home today and Man!! Was I pleasantly surprised! This one is really good, You can definitely get that Tobacco flavors!! for a second after taking a puff, I could swear that I took a drag from a pipe!
For my personal taste though I would push the % up a bit, but then again people have offered me 'tobaccos' that I could barely taste while they are raving about how strong it is in flavor.

Well done @Raindance and thanks for letting me test it! Im keen to see what Else you got brewing...

And for the 1st time since I started vaping, I now need some tobaccos to get my own mixes going :rofl:

Last edited:
NET coffee sounds super cool to me.

I’ve also read up a lot on it but haven’t gotten around to actually doing it, part of it is laziness I’d suppose but the other part of me is how do you get that consistent taste of it as there are so many variables to making NET concentrates.

Vanilla would be an interesting one as well.

Looking forward to what we can find out here @Raindance

Just dumped 200ml coffee concentrate after reading comments as well as Waynes Walker actual experience from the stuff

How long do you leave tobacco to steep? I have a packet of mint flavoured rolling tobacco from my smoking days - dumped some in a tub of pg.

Just an update.

The mix of the 5th is still steeping, getting really dark. I am impressed that I managed to not start using it yet. Did test it. Pretty strong but doubt that it is strong enough to be called a concentrate yet.

Definitely smooth but possibly not yet bitter enough.

Got hold of some Rum & Maple today and got a bottle of that going now as well. Don't laugh, but have a pack of Boxer awaiting processing as well. We will not know until we tried it.

Will keep you posted.

Regards
I like the way you think ..used to love the smell and taste of rum and maple in a pipe.

Some info on micron filters :
Absolute Micron Rating - means that the filter is capable of
removing at least 98.7% of a specific size particle. This rating is
determined through a single-pass or multi-pass test in which
fluid containing measureable particles is passed through a flat
sheet of filter material. Particles that pass through are
measured and counted. This rating is more informative than the
nominal micron rating.

50 microns – Diameter of a human hair
40 microns – Lower limit of visibility of a human eye
25 microns – White blood cells
8 microns – Red blood cells