DIY vs Premade eliquid

Ravynheart

The Curious Raven
LV

Awards
Time to open a second can of worms.
As a newbie, I've discovered that some people mix their own eliquid blends along with the prospect of it being cheaper than buying a Premade eliquid. So, here I have a couple questions as I have very little understanding on the topic.
1. How risky and complicated is DIY?
2. Is it really worth the risks vs the convenience going to a store and buying a bottle of liquid?
3. Is it really cheaper considering you might have to throw away a couple screwed up batches?
4. How's the best way to get started in DIY without breaking the Vape budget?

All opinions and answers welcome!

3. Is it cheaper? I've spent somewhere in the region of R4k to R6k on diy... So I'm not entirely sure. If you're working with "simple" juices and are satisfied with relatively basic things, it's definitely cheaper. But everything has a shelf life, especially nicotine in higher concentrations.

When you're vaping 15-20ml a day, yes, it's much cheaper! I have chucked maybe 200ml of 'oopsies' in 2 months. Mixed without nic, so not that expensive at all. I hwve also made over a liter of very vapeable juice, and even sold some to colleagues who have tasted some 5ml samples of my stuff. I charge them R50/30ml. Makes up fir my flavoring collection and the PG/VG cost is negligable. Some good recipes by members on planet of the vapes, kritikalmass and e-liquid-recipes.

@Ravynheart I am my self quite the noob at e juice mixing. But I think you should start off where I did. Get some100%pg juice (propylene glycol) with a high nic content 18 to if you can find 24mls. And buy some empty bottles or just keep your empties. And pop down to dischem and get a bottle of glycerin BP ( vegetable glycerin) and play around with mixes start by adding a little vg to the mix and go till you find the sweet spot. By doing this you will get used to the ratios and vaper production(vg brings the couds but dulls throat hit as you prob know). It is also cheaper before you go and buy a DIY kit and make a mix that puts you off. A bottle of glycerine BP and a syringe is like 30 bucks.
Hope this helps.. Good luck fiddling :)

Another thing to add sorry. The more vg liquid you add the thicker your juice will become. And with that you will need more power to vape it as well as bigger wholes in your coils and lower ohms.(I am going to be moving from my mvp2 to a more powerful box mod with a decent sub ohm tank so I can vape pure vg juice as I find the cloud production addictive. :)). But a 50 50 mix works great on almost all decent egos and devices (1.5 to 2.1 ohms at about 5 to 6.5 watts).however anything lower than a 50 50 mix gets to thick and coils don't get ejuice in time and you get a dry hit.

My DIY costs me around R500 to R600 every 3 months. Yes, it's cheap if you want it to be. If you want to clone every recipe out there, then yes, it will be more expensive.
I only vape my DIY juices. I don't buy juices anymore. Only on very rare occasions like the vapecon. I also won a crapload of juices at the vapecon and have been testing them almost non-stop, but when I go to bed, I take my Reo with my DIY juice with me, because I like it more than any other juice.
Tonight I'll be vaping my vanilla custard and my coconut menthol diy juices. My vanilla custard tastes better to me than any other that I've bought.

I mainly use recipes and if i find a winner i can make around 250ml for R250 (very low nicotine). Then its cheaper and its even more convenient then picking up juice yourself.
Creating your own recipes can set you back more cash but thats because you like to play around with flavours etc.
So its all up to you if it will be cheaper or not.

As a newbie, I've discovered that some people mix their own eliquid blends along with the prospect of it being cheaper than buying a Premade eliquid. So, here I have a couple questions as I have very little understanding on the topic.
2. Is it really worth the risks vs the convenience going to a store and buying a bottle of liquid?
3. Is it really cheaper considering you might have to throw away a couple screwed up batches?

1. Not risky and not complicated at all. Be prepared to research and be prepared to document everything.
  2. For me there was no substantial risks vs convenience, but I gave it up because I was too impatient and not really committed and my efforts could not compare to the juices I bought. But there are many DIYers that make great juices. I applaud them. Many commercial juices started as DIY juices.
  3. No doubt in my mind it could be cheaper, depending on many factors though.
  4. http://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-your-first-time.t7324/

I have a love for complex dessert flavours and a higher PG to VG ratio. With that said, the thought of mixing my own juice is intimidating and being unemployed doesn't help the budget.

I am not sure if you have read the DIY thread started by @Derick, from that you will be able to get a good starting point. Its something you can makes as simple as mixing your own flavour to complex mixes and additives to introduce new tones.
The post I am talking about http://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-your-first-time.t7324/ Maybe with all the interest this could be considered to be made a sticky, it has loads of good advice and branches out from there.

In regards to risk (if health) the concentrations used are very low, buying from one of the reputable dealers you can rest easy as most of the concentrated flavours appear to be used by most of the manufactures of e-liquids. Of course there are measures to be taken to protect your loved ones including pets. I don't think you will be in danger of mixing some lethal biological weapon.

Well now on the cost side it is like any Hobby or craft, you can buy a DIY kit that comes with all sorts of gizzmos and gadgets or you can pop in at dischem and get a syringe, your base mix of pg/vg (there are many posts on brands) some gloves and even dropper bottles (or recycle your used ones). you can make small batches of say 10ml and replicate the ones you want. About the anything you will need to order online is Nicotine and concentrates. If you look at the costs I wondered myself about throwing away a batch I made an excel spreadsheet. A 6mg nic content at 50/50, 3 concentrates and 1 additive at the full price (not say the starter kit price from skyblue) works out to between R40 - R50 per 30ml or less than R2 per ml. So just by doing a small batch and if you exclude the nic it gets even cheaper.

getting flavours you like well thats another story all together i have opted to buy same concentrates that i would enjoy on their own and then maybe use them to create a new flavour or enhance something I like. Some of the flavours I have decided on was thought up by mixing different premium liquids.

Your biggest friend on the DIY here is the forums and google, there are so many clones listed, if you have a look there are many recipes and some are made with one or another of the flavours that are very vappable on their own, and that thanks to members on this very forum helping to get my first list of concentrates.

I am not sure if you have read the DIY thread started by @Derick, from that you will be able to get a good starting point. Its something you can makes as simple as mixing your own flavour to complex mixes and additives to introduce new tones.
The post I am talking about http://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-your-first-time.t7324/ Maybe with all the interest this could be considered to be made a sticky, it has loads of good advice and branches out from there.

In regards to risk (if health) the concentrations used are very low, buying from one of the reputable dealers you can rest easy as most of the concentrated flavours appear to be used by most of the manufactures of e-liquids. Of course there are measures to be taken to protect your loved ones including pets. I don't think you will be in danger of mixing some lethal biological weapon.

Well now on the cost side it is like any Hobby or craft, you can buy a DIY kit that comes with all sorts of gizzmos and gadgets or you can pop in at dischem and get a syringe, your base mix of pg/vg (there are many posts on brands) some gloves and even dropper bottles (or recycle your used ones). you can make small batches of say 10ml and replicate the ones you want. About the anything you will need to order online is Nicotine and concentrates. If you look at the costs I wondered myself about throwing away a batch I made an excel spreadsheet. A 6mg nic content at 50/50, 3 concentrates and 1 additive at the full price (not say the starter kit price from skyblue) works out to between R40 - R50 per 30ml or less than R2 per ml. So just by doing a small batch and if you exclude the nic it gets even cheaper.

getting flavours you like well thats another story all together i have opted to buy same concentrates that i would enjoy on their own and then maybe use them to create a new flavour or enhance something I like. Some of the flavours I have decided on was thought up by mixing different premium liquids.

Your biggest friend on the DIY here is the forums and google, there are so many clones listed, if you have a look there are many recipes and some are made with one or another of the flavours that are very vappable on their own, and that thanks to members on this very forum helping to get my first list of concentrates.
I did read the post,however I wanted to ask these questions from the point of view of someone that knows nothing about DIY eliquid (which I am) so that other newbies can have the complex answers broken down into more newbie friendly terms along with the pros and cons of taking this avenue

@Ravynheart yup I agree fully, nothing is more discouraging than going out and spending R100's just be feel very disappointed in the end. the world of DIY is really growing, very often mix different juices together and have had some happy accidents :rofl:

Also, the more I look into DIY, the more practical it appears to me as I struggle to find a good Premade that I enjoy (fussy much)

Woah this could be a can of worms.

Look, it was pretty damn expensive for ME to start, because I wanted to try all the flavours. And working with recipes, you need to get a good couple of flavours going.

I'd say in my first two months of mixing, I preferred store bought stuff.

Now, know a few things from obsessively researching, I actually prefer my stuff to soooooo many juices out there. Also, I am sampling some of @Mike juices which are just sublime. SO I would definitely say DIY can be just as good and surpass so, so many store bought stuff.

BUT, my favourite juice is still Suicide Bunny Derailed. When I could get it at R235, I jumped. And paying close on R300 for juice now will have to be for something I cant come close to making.

I spent around R1k this month, BUT I have like 15 30ml bottles of juice steeping, loads of flavourt and a bit of PG left. For the next few months I will probably only NEED to buy nic, VG and a flavour or two

So yes, it is 100% worth it, if you take it seriously with researching etc.

DIY was an expensive waste of time for me... I tried it twice and I guess I'm not one for meticulous data recording and measuring and patience has never been a virtue for me. The only DIY I do now is maybe add some Menthol Ice to a juice to try and improve it...

today I chucked the following together.

VM4
Custard
strawberry

gave it a stir with my diy magnetic stirrer added some VG and extra Nic.

now I can taste my favourite juices all at one time

I'm browsing the concentrates on Skyblue and there's so much choice! I'm starting to look forward to giving DIY a try. Consulted my vape budget (read: mom) and she approved of the idea because according to my maths literacy it will be much cheaper and more flexible to my palette of flavour preferences

good for you bro vaping is so much healthier than stinkies. A word of advice ... Have patience and don't get discouraged it does take time to become halfway decent at diy.

@Sprint @Mike it's fine. I did online gaming and I'm used to being called bro. :giggle:
Also, I'm. A nonsmoker that uses nicotine as a replacement therapy for my Adhd (hyperactivity) (yes, it works)

I'm browsing the concentrates on Skyblue and there's so much choice! I'm starting to look forward to giving DIY a try. Consulted my vape budget (read: mom) and she approved of the idea because according to my maths literacy it will be much cheaper and more flexible to my palette of flavour preferences

Here's a tip:

Check the recipes you want to try. 2 or 3 at most.

Get the flavors used in those recipes and try them out. If you like what you get, then you can move on to more recipes and flavors. It really is not that expensive if you start small. Good luck.

You can also mix your own creation from the flavors that you bought, not just the ones you bought it for. Mix small samples at first before making 30ml or 50ml mixes. Start with 5ml or 10ml mixes first. That way you don't waste valuable flavor concentrates. ;)

Believe me, I'm no expert mixer, but I've wasted a lot of money and flavors in the beginning until I started using my damn brain and now it's very cheap to mix. :)

Back