eGo One Gurgling. Should I upgrade?

n00b13

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi Guys. Sorry for the long thread, but I have more questions than answers, and it is difficult to put it into meaningful context.

I am still struggling to get off the stinkies as I am hitting one problem after the other. I am not trying to force it, but rather ease over into vaping, but it is difficult when the gear just doesn't perform as expected.

I am experiencing some issues with my eGo One gurgling badly. It seems to get worse when it has been standing for a while, especially overnight. A new coil is fine for a day then it starts gurgling and spitting juice. I have tried the most common suggestions, like tightening, not over-priming, closing airflow, softer drags etc... I am using the normal 1 Ohm coils, 0.5 is not enjoyable for me.

It looks like some juices might be causing this (70/30 mix), but I do not yet have enough evidence to fully support this yet. But I am running through coils again like in the Twisp Edge days.

I have an eGo mini on order from Fasttech, and considered buying another tank for the eGo One XL so I can easily swop flavours etc. I am now having second thoughts.

I also considered getting a Subtank Nano to use with the eGo battery, since they come highly recommended around here, but it seems a lot of people are complaining about gurgling on the Subtanks too. And then I read some threads about the quality of coils too, so I honestly do not know what to do anymore.

I prefer the cigg-a-likes to the 'square tanks'. The nano starter kit with a battery and pack of coils will set me back another R1500 which I do not have, and I have no idea whether this will 'work' for me.

If I could 'create' my own device I would want the following from it

Compact and easy to fit in pocket without bulging.
Pick up and go device
Easier to fill than eGo (gap is just too small)
Decent flavour and cloud
Does not spit in my mouth.

I do not care much for sub-ohming, as I do not like the hot vape.

I would really appreciate some help and input on this, as I am getting really frustrated with this whole vaping thing. I cannot keep spending money on gear, especially not knowing it I will get luck from it.

It seems people are generally happier with RBA, but the Nano does not come with an RBA kit.

My two cents is:
1. I started with the istick mini 10w. It's now not even a month later and I upgraded to the evic vtc mini. I still use my istick with the nautilus tanks for when I want less power. I don't like very hot vapes. The evic mini is awesome. Especially in temp mode - smoother vape for me that is cooler than the power modes.

2. My brother has both the subox mini and the evic mini, Evic is being used much more. The subox for me was just to hot. I still have to get used to the heat.

I also replaced my ni coils quick since I have a weird reaction to the ni. I also replaced the ego tank with a subtank as well as a billow. Will learn to coil next week.

I am still learning to take long inhales with the vape. I find most get to hot for me and causes me to cough. But smaller inhales and I am fine.

Overall it's a personal choice. The evic is gonna be my main mod for a long time. With my istick mini as my stealth vape for at work.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

My two cents is:
1. I started with the istick mini 10w. It's now not even a month later and I upgraded to the evic vtc mini. I still use my istick with the nautilus tanks for when I want less power. I don't like very hot vapes. The evic mini is awesome. Especially in temp mode - smoother vape for me that is cooler than the power modes.

2. My brother has both the subox mini and the evic mini, Evic is being used much more. The subox for me was just to hot. I still have to get used to the heat.

I also replaced my ni coils quick since I have a weird reaction to the ni. I also replaced the ego tank with a subtank as well as a billow. Will learn to coil next week.

I am still learning to take long inhales with the vape. I find most get to hot for me and causes me to cough. But smaller inhales and I am fine.

Overall it's a personal choice. The evic is gonna be my main mod for a long time. With my istick mini as my stealth vape for at work.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Personal choice is much easier if you can experience all the options. But thorough feedback from others make it much easier to narrow it down.
If you say the subox gets too warm, are you referring to the battery or the vape? Is there a big difference in using the subtank on the subox vs evic?

I think I'm biased toward the subtank, as it looks more polished. But don't want to spend > 1k and regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I have been struggling for 2 hours to reply to this post via tapatalk. . . . (also sent this vai pm to the person.)
And then the forum itself gives me an error:

The vape itself on the subtank is very hot. I keep it on 20w max or else it is to much for me. I would suggest that if you can hold on till the meeting on the 28th of Nov and attend that. There will be many people with various mods and tanks for you to look at and test.

I was looking at the subox mini for myself as well, but my brother decided to get it, so I have tested it a few times. I find its a heavier mod, pretty but heavy. After speaking to a lot of people and doing a lot of research, I decided on the Evic VTC mini. I have fallen in love with the way the mod looks, how noob friendly it is, how I can use my nautilus tanks (mini and full size) on it. As well as the fact that I already replaced the ego tank (I find I get a weird after taste in the ego tank - plus the Ni coils in it gave me a weird after taste = after testing ni coils in various mods tho I have realised I cannot use Ni coils at all.) I now have the Billow and a Subtank for my mod.
My subtank I use in power mode since the coils on it currently is kanthal wire, the billow was made with stainless steel tho - and I have to say I will swap all my coils to that - once I learn how to build my own.).

The mod itself is noob friendly, easy to learn, lightweight, it lasts me about a day of medium vaping - heavy vaping will kill the battery faster (I am planning on getting a couple of spares next month as well as a charger.)
Attached are images of my mini with the nautilus tank, subtank, ego tank and billow = sexy as hell . . .20151110_130724.jpg 20151111_114224.jpg 20151113_215759.jpg 20151114_113410.jpg 20151114_164929.jpg

Ok, I think my strategy needs to change here.

Went to Vapoholics to get some juice today.
Unfortunately I couldn't sample juice, as some idiots literally go 'sample' as a team of 20 and kill a bottle of juice in store. And buy nothing. Can't blame the store owner here.

Anyway, long story short, another customer offered to sample on his monster mega brick (well, that's what it looked like compared to my eGo One, have no clue what device it was). Crusty custard tasted like heaven in my mouth and I bought a bottle.
If you were that customer, I think I got so caught up in chatting I never really said thanks, so thank you Mr Megamod!

Problem is, it's not that nice in the eGo...
Did lung hit on 3mg, whereas I'm using 6mg MTL on the eGo. Could that be the reason or do I now really 'need' a proper mod to really experience the juice as it was intended to be? Feels like I'm staring all over again!

Hi @n00b13
Well told. I enjoyed reading

So many factors can affect the taste of a juice. Power, the type of device, the airflow and the wick all can make a difference to how you perceive the taste. I have experienced this myself a few times. Some juices just need way more power and airflow while others are "happy" at lower power in more basic equipment.

Some juices just taste better in particular setups. I find that on the higher VG and lower nic juices I need way more power and prefer lung hits. So i will go around 40-50 Watts on my Nuppin/Reo which has more airflow. But on the 50/50 juices and the higher mg juices I get more satisfaction and concentrated flavour from a lower power (15-20 watts) with less airflow in mouth to lung.

I like both styles, so for me its important to have both types of setups available depending on the juice i am trying.

Another example, yesterday I loaded a juice from a friend which is 70%VG and "only 12mg". I loaded it in my flavou setup mouth to lung (low power) to see what the taste is like. I like the taste quite a lot but there is too little throat hit for me and the juice is very smooth. So i am goiny to load it up on a higher power high airflow setup to enjoy more vapour and big lung hits.

Hope that makes sense and helps...

Ok I have been struggling for 2 hours to reply to this post via tapatalk. . . . (also sent this vai pm to the person.)
And then the forum itself gives me an error:

The vape itself on the subtank is very hot. I keep it on 20w max or else it is to much for me. I would suggest that if you can hold on till the meeting on the 28th of Nov and attend that. There will be many people with various mods and tanks for you to look at and test.

I was looking at the subox mini for myself as well, but my brother decided to get it, so I have tested it a few times. I find its a heavier mod, pretty but heavy. After speaking to a lot of people and doing a lot of research, I decided on the Evic VTC mini. I have fallen in love with the way the mod looks, how noob friendly it is, how I can use my nautilus tanks (mini and full size) on it. As well as the fact that I already replaced the ego tank (I find I get a weird after taste in the ego tank - plus the Ni coils in it gave me a weird after taste = after testing ni coils in various mods tho I have realised I cannot use Ni coils at all.) I now have the Billow and a Subtank for my mod.
My subtank I use in power mode since the coils on it currently is kanthal wire, the billow was made with stainless steel tho - and I have to say I will swap all my coils to that - once I learn how to build my own.).

The mod itself is noob friendly, easy to learn, lightweight, it lasts me about a day of medium vaping - heavy vaping will kill the battery faster (I am planning on getting a couple of spares next month as well as a charger.)
Attached are images of my mini with the nautilus tank, subtank, ego tank and billow = sexy as hell . . .View attachment 39168 View attachment 39169 View attachment 39170 View attachment 39171 View attachment 39172
Unfortunately I won't be able to make the 28th due to prior commitments.
With the forum/tapatalk being down last night, I also did a lot of research and I can honestly say I'd be hard pressed to find someone who would recommend the subox over the eVic. Although some argue it's not worth upgrading to eVic if you already splurged on a subox.
Most argue that the 'perfect' device (in their opinion and the +-1K budget obviously) is the eVic mini topped with a subtank mini.
I also see the name Bellus being dropped quite often around here. But all things considered, eVic seems to be the best path for me now, with a subtank for xmas.

Thanks for your detailed contribution

Hi @n00b13
Well told. I enjoyed reading

So many factors can affect the taste of a juice. Power, the type of device, the airflow and the wick all can make a difference to how you perceive the taste. I have experienced this myself a few times. Some juices just need way more power and airflow while others are "happy" at lower power in more basic equipment.

Some juices just taste better in particular setups. I find that on the higher VG and lower nic juices I need way more power and prefer lung hits. So i will go around 40-50 Watts on my Nuppin/Reo which has more airflow. But on the 50/50 juices and the higher mg juices I get more satisfaction and concentrated flavour from a lower power (15-20 watts) with less airflow in mouth to lung.

I like both styles, so for me its important to have both types of setups available depending on the juice i am trying.

Another example, yesterday I loaded a juice from a friend which is 70%VG and "only 12mg". I loaded it in my flavou setup mouth to lung (low power) to see what the taste is like. I like the taste quite a lot but there is too little throat hit for me and the juice is very smooth. So i am goiny to load it up on a higher power high airflow setup to enjoy more vapour and big lung hits.

Hope that makes sense and helps...
A lot of what you say makes a lot of sense, but some of it still goes a little over my noob-head, but it seems that these types of responses usually revolve around the same thing. Experimenting a lot, and finding what works for you.
What I can take from this, is that a 60W device should really cater for most of my needs, and having different tank/resistance combinations on a decent mod is essential to get the most satisfaction from your device and juices

A lot of what you say makes a lot of sense, but some of it still goes a little over my noob-head, but it seems that these types of responses usually revolve around the same thing. Experimenting a lot, and finding what works for you.
What I can take from this, is that a 60W device should really cater for most of my needs, and having different tank/resistance combinations on a decent mod is essential to get the most satisfaction from your device and juices

Spot on!
If i were you I would keep your EgoOne as a backup device just in case

Spot on!
If i were you I would keep your EgoOne as a backup device just in case
Oh yes I will. A single device is currently one of my biggest frustrations. I also have an eGo Mini + 5 CLR en route via fasttech. This will be my stealth vape, although I think it will still produce way too much vapour to be considered stealthy.
Thanks for the input. Now I just need to wait for the retailers to get a nice special going on those black eVics (hint hint)

Another good bet is the iStick 60W, lighter than Subox and VTC Mini (my current favourite), if slightly taller. Much better atomiser than the VTC eGo and better price point on the coils. Also has interchangeable covers when the inevitable wear and tear starts. Most of the vendors are starting to stock them now.

Ok so @Eugene_VH sorted me with a Subtank Mini today, just waiting for @Lim to get back to me re eVic Mini then I should be sorted.

Been using the Subtank with my eGo One XL Battery, and although it looks a little out of proportion, the flavour is awesome!!!

ae35dd1571d1d1328e9ba9ed41396488.jpg

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the 28th due to prior commitments.
With the forum/tapatalk being down last night, I also did a lot of research and I can honestly say I'd be hard pressed to find someone who would recommend the subox over the eVic. Although some argue it's not worth upgrading to eVic if you already splurged on a subox.
Most argue that the 'perfect' device (in their opinion and the +-1K budget obviously) is the eVic mini topped with a subtank mini.
I also see the name Bellus being dropped quite often around here. But all things considered, eVic seems to be the best path for me now, with a subtank for xmas.

Thanks for your detailed contribution

Though i'm somewhat partial to the Evic mini (upgradeable temp.controll) all the products mentioned are very good.I'm sure the suggestions given will lead you to the perfect vape you seek.

Thanks again to all for their valuable input in this thread. I finally got an eVic Mini (despite swearing high and low that I'll never have one of those 'big batteries'. )
Vaping like a boss now. Flavour and throat hit is exceptional compared to the eGo One.
I've spent waaaaayyy more than I promised myself a few weeks ago as well... But all worth it if it gets me off the ol' stinkies!

Sound like too much airflow or too little wick. Try pittimg a thicker piece of wick and leaving 1mm on each end.

The Ego One coils jave a juice control valve at the bottom. You can turn it up to reduce juice flow. Default is fully open right down which is more suited for your long lung hits.

Back