Ekowool advice please

Bonez007

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
hey guys,

So I have some ekowool which i bought some time back from SOV (I can't remember the diameter). I tried wicking with that by building a micro coil and feeding the eko though the centre. When I finally got it in, there were many burnt tastes. I also tried on a Russian by building a 3mm dia coil and pushing through three strands of eko. It cracked and popped too much, with my tongue getting burnt because of the droplets of juice.

Now I wanna try again, a single coil setup that doesn't pop like crazy, using ekowool, for my magma. I prefer higher ohm coils, between 1.6 to 1.8ohms... And I only have 28g vapor wire

Could someone please tell me what to do?

Thanks!

@Bonez007 - Please excuse the quality of the coils on the Omega... I have not gotten round to re-wicking and dry burning yet. Also, I might not be having the same issue as you as my coils are just above juice level where on yours your wick needs to hang into the juice well. On my Nucleus the coils are horizontally with one wick stuck through from the bottom so that the loop is on the bottom. I then fold the two open ends back into the center. I hope this makes sense.

SLYlDsb.jpg

xmE0EY7.jpg

I see the driper you have on the left here is a pretty cool one, being able to remove the coils and build it outside, then inset the whole coil build already assembled, not bad... I would however do one thing different... all the builds I see on these are built vertically, but why not instead of vertically build it parallel, but at an angle.. if you remove that center building section, and hold it in front of you, insert the one coil's wires on the top right hole, and the other end of the coil in the left bottom hole, and the same on the other side, then you have it more horizontal.... what do you think?
Try it.jpg
excuse the crude drawing, but I think you will get the idea, HEHE.....

This will help in the sense that your intake holes are horizontal, so the more horizontal you can get the coil, the better the airflow over it...

Once you have it installed, you can also get it even more horizontal with a screwdriver, just make your leads a bit longer to allow for adjusting

Last edited:
I see the driper you have on the left here is a pretty cool one, being able to remove the coils and build it outside, then inset the whole coil build already assembled, not bad... I would however do one thing different... all the builds I see on these are built vertically, but why not instead of vertically build it parallel, but at an angle.. if you remove that center building section, and hold it in front of you, insert the one coil's wires on the top right hole, and the other end of the coil in the left bottom hole, and the same on the other side, then you have it more horizontal.... what do you think?
View attachment 15735
excuse the crude drawing, but I think you will get the idea, HEHE.....

This will help in the sense that your intake holes are horizontal, so the more horizontal you can get the coil, the better the airflow over it...

Once you have it installed, you can also get it even more horizontal with a screwdriver, just make your leads a bit longer to allow for adjusting
I did that with the first build and all was good. For my second I wanted to see what quad coils tasted like so I built 2 on each side, hence the configuration you see now. Flavour on quads are nice. :)

I did that with the first build and all was good. For my second I wanted to see what quad coils tasted like so I built 2 on each side, hence the configuration you see now. Flavour on quads are nice. :)
cool cool, glad to see you tried it, hehe, what gauge do you have on there

@Silver - I was not aware that most guys with ekowool build a new coil each time they replace the ekowool? (or am I reading this wrong?)

Hi @baksteen8168 - I am a relative Ekowool noob.
I have only tried it using ribbon kanthal on my RM2 - 4 wraps - around 0.65 ohms.
I know I can dry burn it to remove the old flavour - but for a while thereafter I get a strange burnt taste - and also a bit of flavour interference.

With regard to taking out the Ekowool and putting it back in again - I tried it once but found it quite difficult to get it out and back in.

Maybe my ribbon kanthal was wrapped a bit too tight on the Ekowool (I use a paper clip inside the Ekowool to give it stability) and just wrap the ribbon Kanthal around it by hand. When I take out the paper clip, it loosens a little bit - but maybe not enough to get the ekowool comfortably in and out.

@Bonez007 - Please excuse the quality of the coils on the Omega... I have not gotten round to re-wicking and dry burning yet. Also, I might not be having the same issue as you as my coils are just above juice level where on yours your wick needs to hang into the juice well. On my Nucleus the coils are horizontally with one wick stuck through from the bottom so that the loop is on the bottom. I then fold the two open ends back into the center. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for the pics man. Maybe the design on the magma is not good for ekowool because of its deep well. I still gotta try the triple strand wick, I will revert with my findings once I get around to it. I will also try single strand on my plume veil 1.5, since the well is similar to your omega. It could be that I am getting one small detail wrong which is blowing up the whole thing. I remember when I first started with RDA's I was using cotton and I could not stop the dry hits, even on the first hit, until I met with a member here who showed me the ropes.

Hi @baksteen8168 - I am a relative Ekowool noob.
I have only tried it using ribbon kanthal on my RM2 - 4 wraps - around 0.65 ohms.
I know I can dry burn it to remove the old flavour - but for a while thereafter I get a strange burnt taste - and also a bit of flavour interference.

With regard to taking out the Ekowool and putting it back in again - I tried it once but found it quite difficult to get it out and back in.

Maybe my ribbon kanthal was wrapped a bit too tight on the Ekowool (I use a paper clip inside the Ekowool to give it stability) and just wrap the ribbon Kanthal around it by hand. When I take out the paper clip, it loosens a little bit - but maybe not enough to get the ekowool comfortably in and out.
I think it might have been a tad bit tight, but then again I am a noob when it comes to ribbon builds.

Funny that you are getting a burnt taste after flaming the ekowool. Are you flaming it until it turns white hot? When I am done flaming mine, it looks brand new again. I also struggled in the beginning to put the used ekowool back, but it is much easier now. Guess it is something that you just get used to.

(Just reread your post. When you clean the wick, do you use a blowtorch to burn the olr flavour off, or are you simply firing the coil untill the wick is dry?)

Thank you for the pics man. Maybe the design on the magma is not good for ekowool because of its deep well. I still gotta try the triple strand wick, I will revert with my findings once I get around to it. I will also try single strand on my plume veil 1.5, since the well is similar to your omega. It could be that I am getting one small detail wrong which is blowing up the whole thing. I remember when I first started with RDA's I was using cotton and I could not stop the dry hits, even on the first hit, until I met with a member here who showed me the ropes.
It is most probably a small thing that needs changing. I remember getting constant dry hits on my Kayfun, untill I figured out that wicks need to touch decks... not inside the juice channels.

I think it might have been a tad bit tight, but then again I am a noob when it comes to ribbon builds.

Funny that you are getting a burnt taste after flaming the ekowool. Are you flaming it until it turns white hot? When I am done flaming mine, it looks brand new again. I also struggled in the beginning to put the used ekowool back, but it is much easier now. Guess it is something that you just get used to.

(Just reread your post. When you clean the wick, do you use a blowtorch to burn the olr flavour off, or are you simply firing the coil untill the wick is dry?)

Hi @baksteen8168
For me, the attraction of using Ekowool is to be able to just fire the coil as is - when I want to burn off the flavour and change to a new flavour - without fiddling and taking out the wick and putting it in again. So to answer your question, no, I do not take it out and use a blowtorch. (I do that initially before installing the coil and wick)

It does work but I still get a bit of a strange taste for a while and some flavour interference. This does go away after a ml or two.

Hi @baksteen8168
For me, the attraction of using Ekowool is to be able to just fire the coil as is - when I want to burn off the flavour and change to a new flavour - without fiddling and taking out the wick and putting it in again. So to answer your question, no, I do not take it out and use a blowtorch. (I do that initially before installing the coil and wick)

It does work but I still get a bit of a strange taste for a while and some flavour interference. This does go away after a ml or two.
@Silver - Ah, I get it. I usually completely remove my ekowool and blowtorch it, then thread it back. (admittedly, when I am lazy I pull it untill it is just about out, torch the one side, thread it back, torch the other side, and then put new juice on.)

Hi @baksteen8168

Some do this: After dry burning hold the atty with wick intact under a not stream of water. Then dry burn again to get rid of excess water. @Genosmate takes off the atty, soak it for a few minutes in just boiled water, take the atty out with prongs and rinse with just boiled water.

Last edited:
This works for me, and serves me well:

• Cut a piece of 2mm Ekowool
  • Place 1.5mm drill bit through the center of Ekowool
  • Heat up Ekowool beyond red hot over gas stove with drill bit in place
  • Cut a piece of 0.9 x 0.1 ribbon Kanthal A1 (28G also works, but not as good as ribbon)
  • Anneal over gas stove (to remove excess springiness)
  • Coil 4 wraps tightly over Ekowool with drill bit in place (+/-0.7 Ohm)
  • Place in RDA and prime with e-juice
  • On e-juice flavor change, I just press the fire button with Ekowool in coil until it ignites and Ekowool is "white" again plus Kanthal is de-gunked.
  • Prime with e-juice

Back