Flatwire

JB1987

Vaping Enthusiast
LV

Awards
Hi guys, thought I would start this thread in case someone might be curious. I recently bought some 24G Kanthal Flatwire to find out what Morten Oen on YouTube is constantly raving about. 3mm ID comes out to 0.5ohms and feels like a 0.25 fused clapton on a mech squonker, excellent flavour and ramp up is instant. It also makes the battery last for ages due to the higher ohms. I was rather surprised at how efficient it is, perfect for mech setups where I would normally build at 0.2 ohms. See pic below of the build in the Entheon (build is 3 days old). I'm keen to try some 22G as well.

IMG_3147.JPG

@Smoke_A_Llama

Hi guys, thought I would start this thread in case someone might be curious. I recently bought some 24G Kanthal Flatwire to find out what Morten Oen on YouTube is constantly raving about. 3mm ID comes out to 0.5ohms and feels like a 0.25 fused clapton on a mech squonker, excellent flavour and ramp up is instant. It also makes the battery last for ages due to the higher ohms. I was rather surprised at how efficient it is, perfect for mech setups where I would normally build at 0.2 ohms. See pic below of the build in the Entheon (build is 3 days old). I'm keen to try some 22G as well.

View attachment 120153

@Smoke_A_Llama

Attempted 0.6 x 0.1 with my exo.... was way too springy to get a tight wrap so kinda left it in the wire supply tool box.... luckily friend wants staples so will put them to good use

But thanks though

Ribbon is 0.1mm thick. Flatwire is, I think, 0.3mm thick. Very different animals. Flatwire is good on is own or even Claptoned. Ribbon needs to be stacked and usually used in a framed staple

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quite impressed with the 22g ni80 uk flatwire I have. Works well on fruity juices.
I didn't think before I started building last night and decided to try to fuse two strands of 22g flat 80 together with some 36g ni80... Though instead of using like 6 pieces of ribbon, just two of the flatwire should work a treat. When I was done it was like trying to coil a piece of rebar. Couldn't even pinch it with my ceramic tweezers. Coil was a utter fail. Lol
Maybe I'll try claptoning just one piece next time.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Thanks for starting this thread @JB1987 - and for the feedback

I have been meaning to try this flatwire for a while but haven't got round to it.
Hope to try it out

Thanks for starting this thread @JB1987 - and for the feedback

I have been meaning to try this flatwire for a while but haven't got round to it.
Hope to try it out

It's worth giving it a go, for me it shines on a mech setup due to the fast ramp up, it gives better flavour and throat hit than normal round wire on similar resistance. I think it should be well suited for your Reo setups. I'll do a build on the Exocet tomorrow and give some feedback.

It's worth giving it a go, for me it shines on a mech setup due to the fast ramp up, it gives better flavour and throat hit than normal round wire on similar resistance. I think it should be well suited for your Reo setups. I'll do a build on the Exocet tomorrow and give some feedback.

Thanks @JB1987
Am wondering what gauge to go for?

Thanks @JB1987
Would definitely say the 24g over the 22g. The 22g is really stiff and hard to work with, also it makes rather large coils due to the massive surface area. So not ideal if you are trying to make something that will fit in 22mm or smaller atty.

Thanks @JB1987

I've only used the 24G Kanthal, about 7 wraps on a 3mm ID, comes out to 0.5ohms and for my vaping style it's perfect (I prefer a warm but not hot vape). I think if you have an RDA like the Wasp, where the posts are rather far apart, 22G would work well as you will most probably need a few extra wraps. A strange thing though, the resistance on a contact coil is quite a bit lower than a spaced coil with the same amount of wraps, very interesting wire indeed. If you have some time, go look at Morten Oen's channel on YouTube, he has a very scientific approach to coil building, wicking and airflow behavior, especially flatwire. I find it rather interesting as I'm a scientific and methodical person, I've made some adjustments in my building style based on his discoveries and conclusions and most have been successful. I think you might enjoy it @Silver .

Edit: Morten flattens round kanthal wire by hand as he struggles to get Flatwire in Norway. We have spoken over email a bit, he's a rather interesting character.

Quite impressed with the 22g ni80 uk flatwire I have. Works well on fruity juices.
I didn't think before I started building last night and decided to try to fuse two strands of 22g flat 80 together with some 36g ni80... Though instead of using like 6 pieces of ribbon, just two of the flatwire should work a treat. When I was done it was like trying to coil a piece of rebar. Couldn't even pinch it with my ceramic tweezers. Coil was a utter fail. Lol

Thanks for the feedback, the Flatwire is a bit thicker than ribbon wire so I can imagine that 2 strands could be troublesome, please let me know how the claptoned single strand comes out, in theory I think it could be an excellent vape, very similar to Flapton.

Haywire makes an excellent flatwire. The 22g is just fantastic and it works excellent in both, RTA's and RDA's. I find flatwire to be much better than standard round wire. I just wished Haywire made Flapton as well 24 or 22 with some 36g or 40g should be heavenly.

Flatwire UK makes Flapton which is also really nice but costs more. The Flapton handles higher wattage due to the increase surface area.

Haywire makes an excellent flatwire. The 22g is just fantastic and it works excellent in both, RTA's and RDA's. I find flatwire to be much better than standard round wire. I just wished Haywire made Flapton as well 24 or 22 with some 36g or 40g should be heavenly.

Flatwire UK makes Flapton which is also really nice but costs more. The Flapton handles higher wattage due to the increase surface area.

Thanks @daniel craig , I'll have a look at Haywire. Where do you purchase your's from? (I know I can do a google search but I'm a few whisky's in at the moment :D )

Thanks @daniel craig , I'll have a look at Haywire. Where do you purchase your's from? (I know I can do a google search but I'm a few whisky's in at the moment :D )
Sir vape
Juicy Joes
Vape Cartel

@raihaan from Haywire also does twisted flat wire. I haven't tried this one out but I think you have to wick it perfectly otherwise it will spit like hell. If you watch that guy on YouTube from Norway then I'm going to assume you wick really tight (As proven by him). If this is how you wick then I assume it will work great.

I've only used the 24G Kanthal, about 7 wraps on a 3mm ID, comes out to 0.5ohms and for my vaping style it's perfect (I prefer a warm but not hot vape). I think if you have an RDA like the Wasp, where the posts are rather far apart, 22G would work well as you will most probably need a few extra wraps. A strange thing though, the resistance on a contact coil is quite a bit lower than a spaced coil with the same amount of wraps, very interesting wire indeed. If you have some time, go look at Morten Oen's channel on YouTube, he has a very scientific approach to coil building, wicking and airflow behavior, especially flatwire. I find it rather interesting as I'm a scientific and methodical person, I've made some adjustments in my building style based on his discoveries and conclusions and most have been successful. I think you might enjoy it @Silver .

Edit: Morten flattens round kanthal wire by hand as he struggles to get Flatwire in Norway. We have spoken over email a bit, he's a rather interesting character.

Thanks @JB1987
I watched one of his videos on that experiment with airflow and coil positioning. Was very interesting.
Will keep this in mind

try them side by side. i have used 24g haywire. difficult to straighten then so at most have only clapton 2 coils worth about 20cm. its a
pain trying to keep them side but worth it. Used a key ring to keep the wires in place.

So have been playing around with my 22g ni80 uk flatwire.
Did a large 10 wrap 3.5ID coil last night that came out to 0.46ohms. Slapped it into my wasp and long story short, it was bloody terrible. :( muted flavour, hot as heck even at just 40W... Utter fail. Basically coil was way too big. Probably better to stick to a +-6 wrap.
So tried the clapton route this afternoon.
Claptoned up a length with some 36g ni80. Did a 6 wrap on 3mm ID. Has settled in at 0.32ohm. Wicked it and wetted it with XXX.
Wow... This coil is pretty damn good!
Short ramp up and really dense vapour. Pretty crisp flavour favoring the mid to top notes. For those familiar with XXX: Menthol comes through strong but not overbearing and you get the berries and elderflower with a hint of litchi. Definitely favouring the middle notes with my diy apple strudel juice.
Now to make some more and test on some of my other atties.
a8fbf31ffabc9213264b1944853dd021.jpg
c2685d77b5f65d6ab30f6180aea33972.jpg

Great coil @Eisenhorn !
And so it goes, inch by inch down the coil rabbit hole - lol

View attachment 120153

@Smoke_A_Llama
Very nice bro! Lot of guys think if you build low you get more clouds and flavor. But that's not true at all. I figured building higher was far better as I got the best flavour and clouds.

Haywire's Flatwire is really good-I have tried the 20ga and 24ga as well and have now almost completely used them up.
The only issue I have with flatwire is that they seem to burn out faster,though the pros most certainly outweigh the cons.

I am now experimenting with a single flapton coil using Geekvape Ni80 flapton wire (on my Zeus) and it is quite impressive on the cloud production,though I am still uncertain on my opinion with regards to flavour.The Zeus can be a tricky bugger due to top airflow only.

Haywire's Flatwire is really good-I have tried the 20ga and 24ga as well and have now almost completely used them up.
The only issue I have with flatwire is that they seem to burn out faster,though the pros most certainly outweigh the cons.

I am now experimenting with a single flapton coil using Geekvape Ni80 flapton wire (on my Zeus) and it is quite impressive on the cloud production,though I am still uncertain on my opinion with regards to flavour.The Zeus can be a tricky bugger due to top airflow only.
You should try haywire flat twist bro, its awesome!!!

Back