Hands up if one of the C-waves rolled you...

CJB85

Enthusiastically Clueless
LV

Awards
So I tested positive for Covid yesterday and was wondering how many more forumites ran into the same unfortunate news. If you are up for it, comment below if you caught it since the pandemic started and what your experience was (or is)?

So far I have had splitting headaches, a DEEP cough, sore throat, a nose that will make Usain Bolt and Bruce Fordyce doubt their own running credentials, muted taste and smell (not gone yet, thank goodness) and all over muscle sensitivity...

So I tested positive for Covid yesterday and was wondering how many more forumites ran into the same unfortunate news. If you are up for it, comment below if you caught it since the pandemic started and what your experience was (or is)?

So far I have had splitting headaches, a DEEP cough, sore throat, a nose that will make Usain Bolt and Bruce Fordyce doubt their own running credentials, muted taste and smell (not gone yet, thank goodness) and all over muscle sensitivity...
Geez man wish you a speedy recovery

All the best, hope your recovery is speedy and you don't develop worse symptoms mate, sure you will be 100% in no time!

Hope you have a speedy recovery @CJB85 and that the current symtoms are the worst of your experience.
My son had it somewhere between wave 1 and 2, and he complained mostly about a sore throat.

We had done three bouts of isolation so far, 1 where son was positive initially, and in more recent separate instances both son & daugter were in close contact with friends or co-workers that directly tested positive or was exposed to someone else closely that tested positive.
Fortunately I've been working from home through all this, but I'd rather take the safe route and stay put, instead of wondering if I may have been the cause of someone else's loved ones passing.

Two co-workers that have caught it in the last week or so, have both had high fevers and complained about body aches. Apparently catching some sun alleviates the pains a bit. Not so great outside with the unpleasant wind we had yesterday, but if you have a nice sheltered corner somewhere, that may help.
One of the co-workers' father and mother in law also picked it up, and unfortunately his father-in-law passed away on Friday morning. He was on oxygen at home initially, but was later hospitalized, placed on a ventilator and induced coma on Thursday. His wife and daughter also had high fevers, but his son was OK. He also mentioned that his own taste and smell is totally gone.

I don't do Facebook, but my wife is on a local group for people in Centurion, and there is apparently a shortage of oxygen with many requests for either sources with stock or assistance in obtaining oxygen going out in this group.

Hope you have a speedy recovery @CJB85 and that the current symtoms are the worst of your experience.
My son had it somewhere between wave 1 and 2, and he complained mostly about a sore throat.

We had done three bouts of isolation so far, 1 where son was positive initially, and in more recent separate instances both son & daugter were in close contact with friends or co-workers that directly tested positive or was exposed to someone else closely that tested positive.
Fortunately I've been working from home through all this, but I'd rather take the safe route and stay put, instead of wondering if I may have been the cause of someone else's loved ones passing.

Two co-workers that have caught it in the last week or so, have both had high fevers and complained about body aches. Apparently catching some sun alleviates the pains a bit. Not so great outside with the unpleasant wind we had yesterday, but if you have a nice sheltered corner somewhere, that may help.
One of the co-workers' father and mother in law also picked it up, and unfortunately his father-in-law passed away on Friday morning. He was on oxygen at home initially, but was later hospitalized, placed on a ventilator and induced coma on Thursday. His wife and daughter also had high fevers, but his son was OK. He also mentioned that his own taste and smell is totally gone.

I don't do Facebook, but my wife is on a local group for people in Centurion, and there is apparently a shortage of oxygen with many requests for either sources with stock or assistance in obtaining oxygen going out in this group.
Thanks, yes it really seems to be getting a lot closer to everyone lately.
My brother had it about a month ago (he lives alone and works from home, so he found it very easy to simply isolate). He had headaches and lost his smell and taste. He still cant taste much, but sweet and salty have returned at least.

we have two of our authors who have been in ICU for well over a month.
My parents have lost 4 friends (two very close friends). The one gent had it hit his brain and went totally insane (they had to keep him medically sedated) and he died of a heart attack after about two weeks in ICU.
The list just goes and goes.

I’m so sorry to hear this @CJB85, it’s terrible!

my mrs and I had it over Christmas last year but “luckily” we were on leave already and just stayed home anyway.

sense of smell and taste went completely. Nothing. It was so bizarre. We felt kak one day and ok ish the next but then things started to return to normal and our taste and smell returned.

Like you said though it’s very close to home and it’s very scary. My uncle died 5 months ago from Covid. His best friend was in the ward with him and died the night before he did from Covid.

I wish you speedy recovery and hope you start feeling better right away!

I’m so sorry to hear this @CJB85, it’s terrible!

my mrs and I had it over Christmas last year but “luckily” we were on leave already and just stayed home anyway.

sense of smell and taste went completely. Nothing. It was so bizarre. We felt kak one day and ok ish the next but then things started to return to normal and our taste and smell returned.

Like you said though it’s very close to home and it’s very scary. My uncle died 5 months ago from Covid. His best friend was in the ward with him and died the night before he did from Covid.

I wish you speedy recovery and hope you start feeling better right away!
Glad you and your wife made a good recovery!

Glad you and your wife made a good recovery!
The odds are well in your favour mate especially if you don't have an underlying condition. Here in the UK we have had 150,000 deaths but to get there many many millions tested positive and most of the deaths were elderly and/or had at least one underlying condition, even needing hospitalisation is a very low percentage and again a low percentage who go into hospital actually die, there will always be tragic cases but what i am clumsily trying to say is you will be fine mate! They even reckon over a million in the UK have had it where it hasn't even been recorded because symptoms have just been like a bad head cold or flu like symptoms they have suffered many times in the past so they just stayed at home until feeling better but never even got tested!

Get better soon @CJB85

Had a good couple of scares especially the last few weeks. But we have been very fortunate.

As for family we had lots. Uncle passed away, his wife had it. Other uncle and his family has it. My mom's cousing was in ICU, out now fortunately. My nieces both had it. And that's just the last month.

It would have been my dad's 70th yesterday. But my brother and I decided to postpone it to the summer. Rather have a lekka braai then than have something now that could end up in tears.

You are not alone. We are here if the quarantine gets too much.

The odds are well in your favour mate especially if you don't have an underlying condition. Here in the UK we have had 150,000 deaths but to get there many many millions tested positive and most of the deaths were elderly and/or had at least one underlying condition, even needing hospitalisation is a very low percentage and again a low percentage who go into hospital actually die, there will always be tragic cases but what i am clumsily trying to say is you will be fine mate! They even reckon over a million in the UK have had it where it hasn't even been recorded because symptoms have just been like a bad head cold or flu like symptoms they have suffered many times in the past so they just stayed at home until feeling better but never even got tested!

I hear you and it makes perfect sense. But we need to look at a worse case scenario because currently our province is a worse case scenario.

I hear you and it makes perfect sense. But we need to look at a worse case scenario because currently our province is a worse case scenario.
Don't need to tell me about worse case scenario we have very similar populations but we have 3 times more deaths, not a single person in the UK hasn't lost close friends and/or family members to covid! Stamp and coin collecting use to be popular in the UK it's now Covid variants!

So sorry to hear that @CJB85. Hang in there!!

My 7yr old had a runny nose, we did not keep him out of school because of this, there were many of his classmates with worse symptoms still at school. After a few days a classmate of his tested positive and later that afternoon his teacher as well. Off to the doctor with the youngster for a test and he tested positive.

We were all pretty freaked out. He'd had these symptoms for a few days and only after the test did we start being very careful. Figured we'd been infected but none of us got any symptoms and tested negative. My Sons symptoms didn't get any worse and cleared up in a few days. Not sure he actually had Covid but was emotionally draining having to isolate from him being so young.

Just glad it's all over now and we came out unscathed.

Then my Mom in hospital (non-covid related and a Covid free hospital) . All patients are screened before admission. After being in there for 5 weeks, she managed to get covid in this safe place, but seems to be dealing with it well and hasn't had much more than a lousy cough. This hospital had to start admitting covid patients on Friday.

Stay safe peeps, it's ugly out there.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
The thing that worries me. Everyone commenting how lightly their friends and family had it and the recovery rate.
But which variant they had isn't known.
Also the people that died from it can't comment on how it felt to die from it.
Just a thought.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
The thing that worries me. Everyone commenting how lightly their friends and family had it and the recovery rate.
But which variant they had isn't known.
Also the people that died from it can't comment on how it felt to die from it.
Just a thought.
Well, my parents lost 4 friends and my dad’s brother is now a permanent asthmatic... I think we on this forum are just lucky to know more recovery stories than tragedies. I have a feeling that SA is in for a rough ride in the next couple of months though.

I tested positive on the 30th of December after sharing a wacky tobaccy with a mate who had been in contact and contracted Covid the weekend prior unknowingly.

I was entirely asymptomatic and didn't feel it at all aside from a bit of fatigue. Nobody else in my family contracted it miraculously.

Thankfully I still got to celebrate the 31st as we were having a social distancing street party where everyone brought out their braai and drinks into the streets by their driveways.

Look after yourself @CJB85, hoping for a quick recovery! Has your wife stayed clear?
She tested negative on Friday, but she has some sniffles and a throaty -scratch thing going. I will let her test again next week. I think my 3 year old probably has it though, heavy congestion and lots of coughing... but he is running around like his usual supercharged, atomically mutated energizer bunny self.

She tested negative on Friday, but she has some sniffles and a throaty -scratch thing going. I will let her test again next week. I think my 3 year old probably has it though, heavy congestion and lots of coughing... but he is running around like his usual supercharged, atomically mutated energizer bunny self.
Dude I hope you all get well soon.
All I have is other people's stories ,but they aren't mine to tell. So keep the faith it will get better.

I've noticed a difference between the previous waves and now, on this forum.

Previously, no-one posted that they had Covid. I also don't recall anyone knowing someone close to them who had it. It's different this time around.

Hope you get well soon @CJB85 and that the symptoms don't get too bad. Sending lots of healing vibes your way :)

Back