HE v non-HE

100% agree @Silver we mustn't forget that we here for all vapers... a year ago when I joined this was a warm welcoming forum where people aren't afraid to ask the stupid questions and learn.

My perception and imho that has changed and I am seeing a lot less of the intro and basic vape chats- the last thing we want to do is alienate folk. Previously a normal atty new product post would last forever, look at the sm25 thread, today it's not happening.

I get HE vs non HE is emotive, so is clone vs auth. Honestly I miss the chit chat the forum used to have about the normal stuff that everyone uses. Yes we have the threads abt the predator and kylin etc but it just feels different.

Sometimes I think what would I feel if I joined today... and sometimes I think if new vapers think we a bunch of pretentious folk. If I joined today my reaction would not be the same like a year ago.

Disagree, thumbs down me guys but it's just my 0,02 ohms worth.

Just a word of advice @incredible_hullk . I hope you are not planing on using that "0.02 ohms worth" on a mech mod:p. We take battery safety very seriously here:D.

100% agree @Silver we mustn't forget that we here for all vapers... a year ago when I joined this was a warm welcoming forum where people aren't afraid to ask the stupid questions and learn.

My perception and imho that has changed and I am seeing a lot less of the intro and basic vape chats- the last thing we want to do is alienate folk. Previously a normal atty new product post would last forever, look at the sm25 thread, today it's not happening.

I get HE vs non HE is emotive, so is clone vs auth. Honestly I miss the chit chat the forum used to have about the normal stuff that everyone uses. Yes we have the threads abt the predator and kylin etc but it just feels different.

Sometimes I think what would I feel if I joined today... and sometimes I think if new vapers think we a bunch of pretentious folk. If I joined today my reaction would not be the same like a year ago.

Disagree, thumbs down me guys but it's just my 0,02 ohms worth.
I agree with you, I do miss those chit chats about a certain tank that we all can talk about etc..
I think also a big reason for this is the insane speed at which new products hit the market these days and how vastly it has expanded. One moment you want to discuss a new tank and tommorow there is something new or better. And I am talking non HE here.

What also caught my attention is how the juice reviews are slowing down, because there is so much juices coming out we dont have time anymore to focus on a juice we just tried. I am one of the culprits, I loved doing reviews on juices and it stopped from my side even though I tried a lot of juices since my last review. Plus I blaze so fast through a bottle by the time I can put my thoughts down on a juice I am already on something new. There is just so much out there.

I think this market has become hard to keep up with. I myself am personally trying to scale down and gently get off the hype bandwagon. I love to read people's impressions on juices and hardware and I would encourage guys to please review if they have time and there is no reviews on it yet. Its part of what made this forum special to me.

This is my opinion and with regards to HE and non HE, I believe both have their place, but both also deserve equal attention and consideration so that people at both ends of the scale can participate and make informed choices.

Last edited:
Vaping is definitely a Journey and i can admit that i sometimes want to travel on the whole of that yellow brick road and test everything lol. I have both and what would probably surprise you all is im using a R500 dripper on a 1K-2k mod most of my vape days these days although it is nice sometimes to take one or 2 of the HE out for a test run :p You dont need HE just find what suits your vape style and get your ADV Juice sorted then u ready to teach the smokers how its done :p

I`m glad I passed over HE and went straight to SHE:p. I`m coining that term. A quick Google search reveals nothing about SHE so in light of what @Takie said about a group of experienced vapers somewhere on the interwebs who band together to determine what is classified as HE gear I am starting my own SHE group. Send me your BBs, Gepettos and SVAs for evaluation and admission to the SHE group:). Since I don`t have a FB account you can send me a PM here on ECIGSSA:-D.

Vaping is definitely a Journey and i can admit that i sometimes want to travel on the whole of that yellow brick road and test everything lol. I have both and what would probably surprise you all is im using a R500 dripper on a 1K-2k mod most of my vape days these days although it is nice sometimes to take one or 2 of the HE out for a test run :p You dont need HE just find what suits your vape style and get your ADV Juice sorted then u ready to teach the smokers how its done :p
Easy for you to say @Paulie You just put a spanner in my vaping works with Coco and Peachy by Affiliation.

Very interesting thread. I don't comment on here often, but visiting the forum has become a daily habit of mine. To the point that my wife kaks on me for being on here so much.

Lately though, it has become a bit boring, most action is on the vape mail thread and the ever-awesome diy stuff. Gone are the days where I could read about the non-HE tanks that are coming out, and tips and tricks on using it.

Is it HE's fault? Perhaps, because everything else now seems to be not worthy. But that is so only because of the way HE is being made out to be. We are being told we are vaping "TATAs", that our normal gear is not even close in comparison to what is out there. Of course people will hold their optimism back when they get a new "TATA".

No matter what everyone claims, HE is very elitist. Had it not been, this thread would not have existed as nobody would really have the emotions to actually feel that it should be created / commented on. How shitty is it to compare the majority of users on here's gear to TATAs, to ask whether they "vape bro" because they have different opinions? Going all out on clones while months prior you yourself posted lekker vape mail pics of your new clones, then selling them in the classies. Making dough and "stealing" IP. Suddenly we can't mention clones anymore because we are kak thieves.

That whole attitude, to me, is what is wrong with HE. Buy the stuff, it is your right, but don't make us feel kak for not being able to afford it, nor the clone buyers etc. Funny thing is that you don't see this childishness from the manufacturers. The guys from The Attysmith are all gents and I'd like to think they would not want this "exclusive" crap being pulled by people representing them on these forums. The mudslinging can be left for vape court where the justice warriors can show off their superiority.

Besides my rant, I'll continue pissing off my wife by being on here more than a teenager visits the loo.

I was always under the impression that these forums is about introducing new RTa/rda/rdta/mods/squonker etc... to everyone here. I for example was 90% happy with my vaping gear. I have accumulated many mods and tanks over the years, and the reason for that was because i was in search for the 1 rta that would tick every box. So it was buy and try. While there are many tanks that i used were really good, it has had some flaws to them that would irritate me.

Then came along @Rob Fisher with his grand review about the skyline. After reading his review i was led to believe that this is RTA i was looking for. However price was an issue for me to spend over 2k on a tank was pure madness but, BUT, it could be what i was after. I took the plunge based on such a good review. And here we are today. The skyline is the rta i was searching for throughout my vaping life.

While there are many reviews be it general devices or he, it is what is, a review for you to decide in which way you want to move. Owning a skyline does not make me a snob or see any other vaper less of what they are, a vaping buddy.

Reviews like this has helped me find my happiness to which i am very grateful for. My take on this read the reviews if you wish. You may find that diamond in the hay stack. And if you don't like a certain post threads, just don't click on that link.

Onto a more serious note. This forum has a wonderful community with one thing in common, the love of vaping. It’s made up of a vast array of people from all walks of life and each to their own. I mostly limit my posts to the BF threads as that’s what I vape on exclusively these days and that’s where I can add value. I don`t own any HE gear or any new gear for that matter since last year September but I enjoy reading the HE threads as much as I love reading the non HE posts.There are more non HE vapers here than HE vapers so post and “engage”.

I started vaping with a TWISP that was gifted to me. When I wanted to upgrade the thought of spending R1000 on a mod and tank, at that time, had me scratching my head and debating whether or not it was worth the cost. Needless to say I’ve since gone down that rabbit hole in search of utopia.

The thought of out laying R2000 for a tank might seem excessive to most but, and bear with me here, if you are after the best RTA vape and that R2000 tank is 10% better than other tanks out there at the moment, whether it be fact, perception or opinion, it’s still a 10% better vape to the person using that RTA. I love cars and to me F1 is the epitome of automotive development. I would bet my years salary (which is not much by the way) that if Ferrari could get a 10% increase in straight line speed by spending millions of $s on new tech/development they would. So why wouldn’t a vaper, who is an enthusiast and can afford it, not do the same (not the millions but the R2000)?

Last edited:
Then came along @Rob Fisher with his grand review about the skyline

I liked what you said in your post above @Ash - i.e. Read what you want and go for what works for you.

But i am picking up on that sentence I quoted above

What I have observed is that our dear Skipper @Rob Fisher has in many ways been such a positive influence on many of us - way before the Skyline and HE gear!

In the "early days" it was @Andre's dedication on the Reo followed by Robs almost infinite enthusiasm that got me into the Reos. Thank heavens for that. I still have them and love them a few years later.

Then Rob brought up the whole Melo3 Mini / Pico combo. And remember when he tried almost every ceramic coil on the planet.... Literally. What a journey that was and i learnt a fortune, am still so pleased with my white Pico. I love it. Not so mad anymore about the Melo3 mini but i still use it occasionally.

Then it was the Serpent Mini 25. Rob spotted this one well. I was very late to it but it does have amazing flavour for fruity menthols. I still have mine and use it sometimes.

And then the Skyline - and now the Billet Box. Rob seems to have found a place that works for him - for now. So when folk say that there isnt much talk about normal gear anymore, i dont think its because anyone frowns on it - we are all free to comment on and review anything we like. But our Skipper has found a new side to vaping and he was a major commentator on so much non HE gear.

Aside from all that Rob has done for us as a member of the A&M team, he has shown us the way on so many things - and has made it incredibly fun and humourous to follow. Sometimes painful to keep up.

Rob, please dont stop what you do. Even if some of the gear you are using now is almost impossible to get. I will always be thankful for what you have done and for all the Ramblings and banter on a daily basis. And I am watching what you are posting very carefully to choose my next stop on this amazing journey ;-)

Last edited:
Let me throw in my 2c here.

I personally don't really care about HE. Never have. I have a few reasons. There are 3 points that frankly bug me I will list them below:

• I very rarely find them as "wow" as experience as what HE people seem to claim.
  • The devices are generally over priced with low end chipsets ( focus is on MTL vapers - so called sophisticated vapers )
  • HE is less about innovation and more about rarity of device ( small batches / quick sellouts - raises prices and demand )
Now myself, I am a very simple vaper. I know what I like and dislike. There is no way in hell someone can sway me to buy R9000+- device unless it is nothing short of a profound vaping experience difference to what I am currently using. Which in what I have found, has never been the case. Each HE device I have tried has been better in some aspects / worse in others. Are they innovative, insanely better. NOPE!

I am semi high wattage vaper who enjoys DL hits of around 65-80w. I love vaping a Smok Big Baby Beast on Battlestar. Yup, that's my go to costing less then R2000 ;). I am not ashamed of it. Its what I enjoy vaping.

I also do not need to hold a vape to impress people. I impress in other areas of my life, I cant see the value in a device that will loose more money then you can imagine once its lost its "high demand / must buy phase" I am watch guy. I love watches, I could spend thousands upon thousands on highend watches. But vapes no. I dont get it.

The core of it is that the HE scene does not give enough value to me. I am not here to make the HE scene take offense, I am just saying that the value for me is limited. I see what people see in them and why they enjoy them see the value ( rarity, the exclusivity etc ). I have other areas of my life where I spend silly amounts of money on things that most people would look at me strangely. But that makes me happy. HE does nothing for me. All I ask of the HE community is to not be Elitist, be a part of the standard commercial device discussions as well.

teams-paine-to-pain-trail-half-marathon-IC5F8r-clipart.jpg

We are all in this for the ultimate aim to stay away from smoking.

I liked what you said in your post above @Ash - i.e. Read what you want and go for what works for you.

But i am picking up on that sentence I quoted above

What I have observed is that our dear Skipper @Rob Fisher has in many ways been such a positive influence on many of us - way before the Skyline and HE gear!

In the "early days" it was @Andre's dedication on the Reo followed by Robs almost infinite enthusiasm that got me into the Reos. Thank heavens for that. I still have them and love them a few years later.

Then Rob brought up the whole Melo3 Mini / Pico combo. And remember when he tried almost every ceramic coil on the planet.... Literally. What a journey that was and i learnt a fortune, am still so pleased with my white Pico. I love it. Not so mad anymore about the Melo3 mini but i still use it occasionally.

Then it was the Serpent Mini 25. Rob spotted this one well. I was very late to it but it does have amazing flavour for fruity menthols. I still have mine and use it sometimes.

And then the Skyline - and now the Billet Box. Rob seems to have found a place that works for him - for now. So when folk say that there isnt much talk about normal gear anymore, i dont think its because anyone frowns on it - we are all free to comment on and review anything we like. But our Skipper has found a new side to vaping and he was a major commentator on so much non HE gear.

Aside from all that Rob has done for us as a member of the A&M team, he has shown us the way on so many things - and has made it incredibly fun and humourous to follow. Sometimes painful to keep up.

Rob, dont stop what you do. Even if some of the gear you are using now is almost impossible to get. I will always be thankful for what you have done and for all the Ramblings and banter on a daily basis. And I am watching what you are posting very carefully to choose my next stop on this amazing journey ;-)

100% Agree. A Huge thanks to you for your valuable and informative posts.

As too whether HE should be confined to the secret FB groups, I think not. While HE gear is unaffordable to me, bringing it to the forum has made it accessible to some fourmites who might not have had a chance otherwise.

As too whether HE should be confined to the secret FB groups, I think not. While HE gear is unaffordable to me, bringing it to the forum has made it accessible to some fourmites who might not have had a chance otherwise.

I agree, the secret groups etc are such Bu******

When HE hardware started making an appearance I was intrigued, such pretty shapes and colours, fine craftsmanship and rare materials. I found myself dreaming about them and thought I would own something like that when I'm big, it was kinda the same feeling as one got from putting up supercar posters on your walls as a kid. That initial feeling has passed now that HE has become "mainstream", I'm still very happy with the run of the mill mass produced stuff being produced in China. I've always wanted a Jaguar XJ220 but a baseline Nissan doublecab is my reality, and I truly believe that I am better for it. I get to play with a lot of the seemingly endless new mods, tanks and drippers hitting the market these days but my favourite set up is still my kaalgat paintless alien and the second hand crius plus I bought in the ecigssa classifieds.

At the end of the day, to each his own.

I just struck gold. I'm dragging all the HE owners and discussions to a new forum called HECIGSSA, so you can all stay here and be happy again !
Nooo, I'm just taking the proverbial 'Number One' ;)

Something to consider.
Sannie loves her crocheting and hobby of making fancy doilies in all of the colors of the visible spectrum. In fact she loves it sooo much she wants to share her love with everyone on the forum. Next thing we have a doily section and all of a sudden its filled with 'pretty pics' and cryptic messages like 'knit one, slip one, cross stitch over' or whatever, and everyone thinks it's just the rave.
Do I now :
a) Post anti-doily threads because everyone is going apesh..tuff over doilies vs naked, grainy polished wooden table tops ?
b) Silently appreciate Sannie's talent and her love for what she does from afar ?
c) Stay focused and stay the hell away from the doily threads before I pop a vein on my forehead ?
d) Get an angry mob together to demonstrate in front of Sannie's home ?
e) Keep polishing my wooden table tops, silently wondering how one of Sannie's exquisite doilies will look on it ?
f) a, d
g) b, c, e
i) All of the above ?

Just like with supercars, we can all appreciate their beauty & technology, yet know that most of us will never own or splurge out on one. We can however sit and silently tune and tweak our custom firmware and builds to outperform the nearest rival when seated next to one at the next vape meet. Just like an epic street race !
Point is, stop bickering and just get to the dang vape meets, or else you will never have the opportunity to try ! Or meet the fellow vapers in your area.

P.S. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most... :rolleyes:

True Experience.

1. I walked into a B&M store with my Twisp shortly after I started vaping feeling pretty proud of my device. Some customers in the store looked at it then almost giggled while nudging their friends. They were blowing big clouds so my twisp with its’ teeny-weeny clouds started feeling a little self-conscious compared to these mighty warriors.

2. At VapeCon 2016, I walked in with an Evod on a JustFog (ego-styled) battery as well as an iStick with a Nautilus mini. When the Nautilus mini ran out of juice, I grabbed the Evod and carried on. A group of okes actually turned around and laughed while pointing at me.

So, as @Dewald said, my “Tata” was feeling quite unworthy and there is now a reticence to talk about any “new Tata” that I may purchase, because I’m sure that like many, that’s all that I will most probably be able to afford. Despite this, I am comfortable with the gear I have and enjoy it proudly.

I sometimes “feel” (just my own feelings without substantive proof) that the spirit of assisting, advising, respectful disccourse, etc., that used to be a hallmark of ecigssa, has somehow been eroded and I sincerely hope that this spirit will re-emerge and shine brightly once again.

Just my 2 watts.

Last edited:
Without being facetious, why isn't HE gear cheap and easy to get?

True Experience.

1. I walked into a B&M store with my Twisp shortly after I started vaping feeling pretty proud of my device. Some customers in the store looked at it then almost giggled while nudging their friends. They were blowing big clouds so my twisp with its’ teeny-weeny clouds started feeling a little self-conscious compared to these mighty warriors.

2. At VapeCon 2016, I walked in with an Evod on a JustFog (ego-styled) battery as well as an iStick with a Nautilus mini. When the Nautilus mini ran out of juice, I grabbed the Evod and carried on. A group of okes actually turned around and laughed while pointing at me.

So, as @Dewald said, my “Tata” was feeling quite a unworthy and there is now a reticence to talk about any “new Tata” that I may purchase, because I’m sure that like many, that’s all that I will most probably be able to afford. Despite this, I am comfortable with the gear I have and enjoy it proudly.

I sometimes “feel” (just my own feelings without substantive proof) that the spirit of assisting, advising, respectful disccourse, etc., that used to be a hallmark of ecigssa, has somehow been eroded and I sincerely hope that this spirit will re-emerge and shine brightly once again.

Just my 2 watts.

Oh man. Elitism like what you've experienced at those meets I just cannot stand :( Sorry that you had to go through that crap.

You might recall my post in another thread where I made it quite clear, when someone listed a pet peeve as "newbies asking for help without doing proper research", that who the hell do we think we are to pull up our noses and shun a prospective new vaper? Like we never needed advice or guidance in the beginning. I honestly, honestly don't understand it. But it's human nature and you find cliques like that everywhere.

Having said that, I'm fairly new on ECIGSSA but I must say that I haven't really noticed a "clique" on here. I'm an easy-going guy and so far I get along swell with everyone here - great bunch of people. I don't feel alienated or belittled by the HE posts (but then again, I haven't seen them all - some might've contained condescending phrasing that triggered this whole thing? I don't know).

But as a group of hobbyists (because vaping is more than a smoking replacement tool, it is an actual hobby), we can't really afford to bicker amongst ourselves, surely. We're here to help, advise and support each other - to get excited for each other's new purchases, to get jealous over each other's vapemail (I mean that in a good way in this context), and to grumble about anti-nicotine legislation together.

That's what this forum is intended for, and so far that's how I'm experiencing it. 99% of the time.

We all very lucky that @Rob Fisher gets to try all cool stuff out for us that way we can get it tested before we have to take plunge! I know he has helped me a lot in HE and I love his and other Vaper's on here enthusiasm ! Vaping just rocks in all formats let's just all agree on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True Experience.

True story here: People who find it funny that you are using something you enjoy or can only afford have shitty tiny lives. Don't give them the satisfaction of feeling bad about what you want to or can afford to use, because then they will have nothing to buffer them from the fact that they are but a shit stain on the heel of life's shoe.

This is a interesting thread. Here is my take on it all.

I'm still new to the forum and to vaping, but I learned a lot from this forum since I got interested in vaping.

I started doing vape research around 3 weeks before I bought my first kit. The forum guided me and I ended up buying my first kit off the forum. Smok H-Priv mod with a Smok TFV8 cloud beast tank. I was reading so many topics, especially all the topics that us noobs created and the experienced guys replied.

I must say that I feel very welcome here since my first post and I really enjoy logging on daily.

I agree that the juice reviews are slacking lately, I spent most of my time there as a beginner and so far most of my money on trying juices.

The HE section is amazing to me, I love reading about it as I would have never even known about those mods.

I'm 45days smoke free today, which is the most important. I love vaping and I got a ton of people into vaping so far and off the stickies.

Vape on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

True Experience.

So, as @Dewald said, my “Tata” was feeling quite a unworthy and there is now a reticence to talk about any “new Tata” that I may purchase, because I’m sure that like many, that’s all that I will most probably be able to afford. Despite this, I am comfortable with the gear I have and enjoy it proudly.

Just my 2 watts.

@ddk1979 , sorry about what happened at VapeCon2016 with regard to the people laughing at your Evod.

From my side I think it was very special that you could make it for that event , all the way from Cape Town. and I enjoyed meeting you for the first time and having a chat.

For the record my istick50/subtank Mini lasted me the entire day at VapeCon. Well the battery is legendary, so it would last two days easily, but the tank is also amazing and reliable - and very economical. No one laughed at my tank and even if they did, i probably would have laughed back, watching them refill about 20 times. Hehe. No prizes for guessing what will likely be in my paw for VapeCon 2017 ;-)

Thanks for your posts above @aktorsyl and @DotDubb
It is great feedback

Most importantly I am happy that you feel welcome and have learned from the forum - to improve your vaping. That to me is the heart of this forum and long may it continue....

Point taken about the slowdown in juice reviews... We will note that and consider how to improve. I have such good intentions of continuing with my own juice reviews - i have just been very busy of late with so many things that my time is very scarce...

Back