Holy fireballs (lighting your cotton)

Wolf

Throat hit seeking, cloud chasing beast
LV

Awards
Good day my fellow vape enthusiasts.
Recently I had a friend build on my petri 24 Rta.
While doing the dry fire to break in the cotton, he pulled out a lighter and lit the cotton....
I'd just like to find out the reason for this if anybody could explain it would be highly appreciated.
(not sure if it was asked before)
Thanks

Hi @Wolf

Most interesting, never heard of lighting the cotton
We usually try keep the cotton saturated with juice to avoid it going dry and getting burnt
So i do not think lighting the cotton is a good idea

What cotton is it?

Sounds like he wants to smoke and not vape.

That seems rather idiotic to me to be honest, I could not possibly think of a reason as to why you would do that.
I'd recommend you make sure the cotton is wet and then fire a few times to heat up the juice and allow it to penetrate the cotton some more and then drip a bit more on the coils and heat it up etc.

That is how I like to wet my wicks.

I presume the cotton was saturated with juice or PG or VG. He probably just wanted to get rid of same by burning it off. Maybe in preparation for a new juice.

Hi @Wolf

Most interesting, never heard of lighting the cotton
We usually try keep the cotton saturated with juice to avoid it going dry and getting burnt
So i do not think lighting the cotton is a good idea

What cotton is it?
It was cotton bacon hey...

While doing the dry fire to break in the cotton, he pulled out a lighter and lit the cotton....
I'd just like to find out the reason for this if anybody could explain it would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Was it dry cotton

Was it dry cotton
No the cotton was primed and as he pulsed he set it on fire for a few seconds...
I'm trying to find something on the net so when I do I will post it here

No the cotton was primed and as he pulsed he set it on fire for a few seconds...
I'm trying to find something on the net so when I do I will post it here
Some, myself included, get a cotton taste from the first toots. Maybe that is just his way of getting rid of that taste.

So I have done some research on and asked a few people... The reason behind it is to get rid of the cotton taste on new wicks.
Apparently it causes the cotton to become a bit more spongy

The lighting of the saturated cotton works a charm. Especially on stubborn cotton like Kendo.

Learnt that trick from the Cartel a little while back and i use it all the time on new wicks.

Basically how you do it is, saturate your new wick with juice then fire your mod with atty on (without top cap) while firing take a lighter and expose flame to cotton.

The cotton will light up let it burn for about 2/3 seconds and blow out flame and stop firing the mod .

Resaturate the wicks and repeat this process another 2 times.

You will no longer get that cotton taste from your new wick even on your first drag.

Last edited:
The lighting of the saturated cotton works a charm. Especially on stubborn cotton like Kendo.

Learnt that trick from the Cartel a little while back and i use it all the time on new wicks.

Basically stlaturate your new wick with juice then fire your mod with atty on (without top cap) while firing take a lighter and expose flame to cotton.

The cotton will light up let it burn for about 2/3 seconds and blow out flame and stop firing the mod .

You will no longer get that cotton taste from your new wick even on your first drag.
Thanks for clearing it up for us buddy

Thats why i pay extra for bacon. Never had a cotton taste with it. Just wick, prime and puff away

Thanks
I also saw a friend do that once when re-wicking but he had consumed around 12 beers when he did it so I think the reason was a touch obvious! Personally can see no logical reason to light the cotton unless you pyrotechnic freak.

I also saw a friend do that once when re-wicking but he had consumed around 12 beers when he did it so I think the reason was a touch obvious! Personally can see no logical reason to light the cotton unless you pyrotechnic freak.

This process definetly does work brother.
And even cotton bacon does have a slight cotton taste on the first few drags.

Im not scientist and i may be wrong but my only logical thinking as to why this works is that the flame needs the juice to carry on burning so it causes the cotton to absorb juice in order to keep the flame burning and by thus saturates the cotton fibres completly leaving no dry fibres.

Hey @Clouds4Days

Thanks for sharing this
But the only problem is i dont think i have a lighter in the house - lol

Aaahhh I know the pain brother... Looks like the lighter collection starts again

Quite right
But i dont get a cotton taste on my Cotton Bacon wicks, so doubt i will use this technique
And my Rayon wicks taste good from the beginning too
Perhaps my taste buds are immune to the cotton taste

I only get a funky taste just before it starts going dry - but not at the beginning if its well saturated

Basically how you do it is, saturate your new wick with juice then fire your mod with atty on (without top cap) while firing take a lighter and expose flame to cotton.

Yeah, a while ago Kieran from Vape Cartel showed me that trick too. I really enjoy Kendo Gold but this eliminates the cotton taste immediately.

Quite right
But i dont get a cotton taste on my Cotton Bacon wicks, so doubt i will use this technique
And my Rayon wicks taste good from the beginning too
Perhaps my taste buds are immune to the cotton taste

I only get a funky taste just before it starts going dry - but not at the beginning if its well saturated
For me, Kendo Gold gives off this "creamy" taste for about a tank.?It's not an unpleasant taste but it changes the actual juice taste, making it slightly creamier.

For me, Kendo Gold gives off this "creamy" taste for about a tank.?It's not an unpleasant taste but it changes the actual juice taste, making it slightly creamier.

I got some Kendo from Kieran when it came out and tried it but for some reason (not sure what really) i never took to it

I later doscovered that Kendo is good for higher power. Not sure if this is the case but maybe its not really aimed at lower power?

I got some Kendo from Kieran when it came out and tried it but for some reason (not sure what really) i never took to it

I later doscovered that Kendo is good for higher power. Not sure if this is the case but maybe its not really aimed at lower power?
I enjoy it in drippers mostly. I'm not a high power vaper (50w max probably) . Perhaps one of the high power vapers could comment...

This is bloody interesting. Never thought of trying something like this. I get a cotton flavour no matter what i use at the start.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Note 4

Back