Homebrew Lab stirrer for DIY E-Liquid

Magnetic stirrer DIY: quick, cheap and easy;
1. Old 12V computer fan
2. Glue 2 round magnets apart on round rotating section of fan
3. Buy magnetic stir bar from any local Home Brew outlet
4. Google you-tube for instructions (plenty videos, even how to control stir-speed)

Magnetic stirrer DIY: quick, cheap and easy;
1. Old 12V computer fan
2. Glue 2 round magnets apart on round rotating section of fan
3. Buy magnetic stir bar from any local Home Brew outlet
4. Google you-tube for instructions (plenty videos, even how to control stir-speed)
Example of an home brew outlet please :) i'm currently using two screws glued together, lol....

Made mine from an old CPU Fan, AMD to be exact, lol, and the box the wife's MPV 2.0 came in... salvaged the magnets from a old 80GB hard drive, was actually still working, but 80GB is not enough, hehe.. but of cutting here and there with a dremmel and I have my own stirrer, Works pretty good... Not the prettiest at the moment, but had to get started doing my own vanilla (got some Vanilla grinned pods from Madagascar) extract... hehe, will paint and neaten it up after the vanilla project is done :)
ah man, this stuff smells good!!!!!! like really really WOW :) ran the stirrer the first day for about 8 hours and let it sit of the day whiles at work, and again last night for about 8 hours and let it sit during the night... now today, off sick at home, I started putting it trough a coffee filter, bloody hell you just want to drink this stuff, that's how good it smells, hehe :) coffee filter is just so damn fine it's taken 3 hours already and still seeping into the glass I have the setup on....

Cant wait to get this into the RDA :)

My stirrer, still in development phase... the screw's I mentioned that was glued together to make a make shift string bead and the Vanilla still seeping into a glass... hmmm, this smells so good!!!! cant wait, hehe.. there is a test stirrer to the left a bit out of picture that I used to test with, lol, somer 120mm fan.. hehe But it proved that this works, so hence the one actually built into a box, hehe20150303_151112.jpg

bit of an update here....

got the stir bar, works wonderfully!! BUT, and this is a big BUT... I have tried many fans, and non are strong enough to work over some 85/15 , 90/10, and even 70/30 VG/PG mixes... not even close, I find myself having to warm up the fluid with boiling water first, then it does tend to mix a bit better, but nothing when compared to a 50/50 mix...

the only other thing i'm going to try now is the motor from a cheep ass RC helli back from when I started out with RC's, was one of those 250 size helli's( flying 450 and 550 now :) ), this with it's gearing mechanism should work fine... well i'm hoping so as a last resort... hehe... This better work!!!

I do not want to go to even further measures and have to bloody install a wiper motor just so I can properly mix my High VG juices... hehe

The home made little box does look pretty awesome tough, made it with some perspex, just a pity about the issue where the damn motors do not have enough talk to stir high VG juices :(

Will let you guys know how the updated version works :)

bit of an update here....

got the stir bar, works wonderfully!! BUT, and this is a big BUT... I have tried many fans, and non are strong enough to work over some 85/15 , 90/10, and even 70/30 VG/PG mixes... not even close, I find myself having to warm up the fluid with boiling water first, then it does tend to mix a bit better, but nothing when compared to a 50/50 mix...

the only other thing i'm going to try now is the motor from a cheep ass RC helli back from when I started out with RC's, was one of those 250 size helli's( flying 450 and 550 now :) ), this with it's gearing mechanism should work fine... well i'm hoping so as a last resort... hehe... This better work!!!

I do not want to go to even further measures and have to bloody install a wiper motor just so I can properly mix my High VG juices... hehe

The home made little box does look pretty awesome tough, made it with some perspex, just a pity about the issue where the damn motors do not have enough talk to stir high VG juices :(

Will let you guys know how the updated version works :)
Nice! Just something to consider though, the heli motors with the gear cases have a high rotational speed but little torque, thats the missing link in this operation. If the mixer spins too fast it will throw the bar time after time. I learnt this the hard way. While we're on the topic, these little beauties arrived today, they're super strong. Tried placing the screwdriver next to it for scale, screwdriver got wacked!

fcce1cf72d855caa157d1ea9d8d2380c.jpg

Ps: post a pic of your box, keen to see how it came out :)

Nice! Just something to consider though, the heli motors with the gear cases have a high rotational speed but little torque, thats the missing link in this operation. If the mixer spins too fast it will throw the bar time after time. I learnt this the hard way. While we're on the topic, these little beauties arrived today, they're super strong. Tried placing the screwdriver next to it for scale, screwdriver got wacked!

fcce1cf72d855caa157d1ea9d8d2380c.jpg
hence i'm going to use the gearing as well.. not going to mount it directly on the motor, but instead still have the big gear on it, to give it the torque i'm looking for :)

hence i'm going to use the gearing as well.. not going to mount it directly on the motor, but instead still have the big gear on it, to give it the torque i'm looking for :)
It late. My brain can't visualise. Lol. Post some pics when you have it operational :)

The key is to have it heated too, an old drip type coffee filter machine can be converted nicely. I've seen a few vids on U-tube.

This is after removing it from the heli, stripped it down so basically only the motor and gear assembly remains.. plus, because it was one of them cheep as heli's this thing had two motors in it, so have a spare, or if need be i'll make them run together, but I definitely think this will do the job....

Just have to build it into a new case now...

20150401_205854.jpg 20150401_205900.jpg 20150401_205906.jpg

This is after removing it from the heli, stripped it down so basically only the motor and gear assembly remains.. plus, because it was one of them cheep as heli's this thing had two motors in it, so have a spare, or if need be i'll make them run together, but I definitely think this will do the job....

Just have to build it into a new case now...

View attachment 24291 View attachment 24292 View attachment 24293
I now see what you meant :)

the gearing up should make all the difference started it up and tried to stop it with my finger, no such luck, hehe... VG will be mixed big time :) can already see I have to get me some bigger containers to mix in :)

You get those little square heating pads for pets (lizards, etc.) that doesn't get hot, just warm. That on top of the stirrer should work fine. I don't think itt will interfere with the magnets.

You get those little square heating pads for pets (lizards, etc.) that doesn't get hot, just warm. That on top of the stirrer should work fine. I don't think itt will interfere with the magnets.
Thanx bud, will go have a look see :)

But if this stirrer works like I think it would after the modifications it might not even be needed, but will have a look in any case... :) a bit of heat can just help the steeping process, hehe

Hi fellow vapers
Or alternatively stick a mixer or frothed on the end of a cordless drill and voilà.
You sorted ☺
This will really stir and mix up your diy juice.
Hope this helps.
Vape on peeps...

Back