How to wick an RDA effectively, and avoid dry hits (Scottish Roll)

I tried this in a Billow v2 using the organic cotton balls from DisChem and I must say I have noticed an increase in both Vapour and throat hit for some reason. Flavour is still on par though.

Very awesome method of wicking. Thanks @Alex

I have just made two Scottish Rolls with some bacon cotton or whatever it's called. It seems to work just as well.

It's a little more effort to spread it out evenly, but yeah. There you go.

I tried this in a Billow v2 using the organic cotton balls from DisChem and I must say I have noticed an increase in both Vapour and throat hit for some reason. Flavour is still on par though.

Very awesome method of wicking. Thanks @Alex

Well done for doing it with the Dischem cotton balls @BhavZ
Nice to know its possible. Did you just stretch it out in the same way after unravelling a ball?

Well done for doing it with the Dischem cotton balls @BhavZ
Nice to know its possible. Did you just stretch it out in the same way after unravelling a ball?
The process I used was:
1) Roll the cotton ball out
2) Use your fingers to comb out and burs and bumps to make it as smooth as possible
3) Ever so gently spread out the cotton to thin it out a bit (mine came out at twice the width of it just unrolled)
4) Tear or cut a length that you will need
5) Follow Scotch Roll method

Just tried this on my Subtank Mini's RBA.. I don't know if I'm just inexperienced but holy crap, it tastes horrible! I thinned it out a lot as on the video and soaked it for about 5min, but I it's burnt cotton all the way! Bleh :MEEH:

Just tried this on my Subtank Mini's RBA.. I don't know if I'm just inexperienced but holy crap, it tastes horrible! I thinned it out a lot as on the video and soaked it for about 5min, but I it's burnt cotton all the way! Bleh :MEEH:
Problem could be that the sub tank isn't wicking fast enough.

Remember you are using a considerable amount of more wick, so in the sub tank the time it would take the wick to soak is a lot longer.

I was also considering this in my sub tank but decided against it.

Rewicked my derringer this way, and it's great ( on a reo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a tugbout, billow v1, goblin v1, TOBH and odin using this wicking method. All good so far.
I don't see why it shouldn't work on a subtank. Its due for a rewick in the next couple of days so will see what happens.

No point doing this on a Reo, it's to help drippers not drip as much. If you're getting dry hits on a Reo you're doing it wrong.

No point doing this on a Reo, it's to help drippers not drip as much. If you're getting dry hits on a Reo you're doing it wrong.

Didn't say anything about dry hits.

Doing it on a reo means less sqounking

not quite getting the stretching bit - is it against the "grain" or with it?

not quite getting the stretching bit - is it against the "grain" or with it?

I think its the way it feels easier to stretch it. Not sure if thats against or with the grain, but its the way that feels easier. The other direction feels quite resistant to stretching, if you know what I mean

I think its the way it feels easier to stretch it. Not sure if thats against or with the grain, but its the way that feels easier. The other direction feels quite resistant to stretching, if you know what I mean

yes - just confused by the comments, with some people saying stretch perpendicular to the grain, and he doesn't specify in the video.

Against the grain makes less sense to me since it'd sever the fibres length-wise.

I think when its rolled into the "swiss roll", the fibres should go lengthways down the length of the roll
At least thats how it makes sense to me

Stretch against the grain. Cut/pull in half. Roll Swiss roll with grain length ways. Has to be that way otherwise you could never pull it through while very tight.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

must've got it right because I got about 20 puffs on my royal hunter, no dry hit. Very cool. Only downside is it used a lot more kgd, I'm going to try doing the same thing with the trusty old dischem pads ;-)

must've got it right because I got about 20 puffs on my royal hunter, no dry hit. Very cool. Only downside is it used a lot more kgd, I'm going to try doing the same thing with the trusty old dischem pads ;-)

Awesome @method1
20 is a big number indeed. Like a small tank. He he
Did you notice the flavour drop off or slightly less vapour at some point?

Awesome @method1
20 is a big number indeed. Like a small tank. He he
Did you notice the flavour drop off or slightly less vapour at some point?

Yes - the vapour and flavour starts trailing off, it's almost like using TC in that regard. Combining the two will probably be really effective ;-)

Yes - the vapour and flavour starts trailing off, it's almost like using TC in that regard. Combining the two will probably be really effective ;-)
I was thinking the same thing! Might be a bit tricky though with nickel being so soft. forcing the wick through might mess up the coil.

It's definitely worth a try with 26g nickel

Classic.
Temp control on a mechanical
I like it
Lol

Ps - i dont have a temp control device yet so am glad to hear this

I was thinking the same thing! Might be a bit tricky though with nickel being so soft. forcing the wick through might mess up the coil.

It's definitely worth a try with 26g nickel

Yep, nickel might be on the soft side, going to try with some 26g TI now and report back.

Classic.
Temp control on a mechanical
I like it
Lol

Ps - i dont have a temp control device yet so am glad to hear this

It is a very similar vape to TC so far, good news for the mech guys ;)

Do you have the v1 or v2 RBA base? I haven't got around to wicking the Subtanks with this method, I have both types. I'll report back once I've done them.

Adopted this method for my drippers and wow. It really is very very different. I take about 15hits at 80w, without it getting dry

Back