How to wick an RDA effectively, and avoid dry hits (Scottish Roll)

Okay wow, I just rewicked my Nuppin which has 2.5mm ID coils using this technique, and I'm officially sold. I'll definitely be wicking this way in future. :rock:

I have been wicking like this for quite some time, all depends on which RDA I am building at the time. Also very similar method for RTA's to let the wick sit just on the top of the juice channels. With RDA's it allows me to drip more juice in the juice wells.

Thanks @Alex

Most interesting. I need to try that as well!
His method appears to hold more juice and give more puffs and not go suddenly dry

Interesting to see what he does differently:
  1. On his Jap cotton pads, he only removes the "outer skin" on the one side
  2. He then stretches it out
  3. He then rolls the whole pad (skin part outside if i remember correctly) making a "swiss roll" type of wick thats much wider than his coil
  4. He feeds it in to the coil and makes it quite tight. I.e. Much tighter than we usually do for cotton
  5. He cuts the wicks quite short, just enough to touch the well deck (pretty much like most Reonaughts do) i.e. He doesnt let the wick go under the coil or lay into the well and snake around anywhere. Just short stubs
Im trying to assess what he has done that is different. I think its his technique of rolling the wick after stretching it out. More air he says inside the wick, so its not very dense. Thats probably why he gets away with making it so tight in the coil. So it takes a lot of juice becuase there is more wicking material but its not as dense.

The short wick part I understand and do already.

Must give this a try

Thanks for sharing. Has anyone else tried it?

PS- @Alex, what did you do on the nuppin? Just make the wicks touch the deck or do the wicks of each coil touch each other? Can you post a photo for us when you get a chance?

They're calling it the "Scotch Roll" :D

I am so blown away by how effective this is.:eek:

Thanks @Alex

Most interesting. I need to try that as well!
His method appears to hold more juice and give more puffs and not go suddenly dry

Interesting to see what he does differently:
  1. On his Jap cotton pads, he only removes the "outer skin" on the one side
  2. He then stretches it out
  3. He then rolls the whole pad (skin part outside if i remember correctly) making a "swiss roll" type of wick thats much wider than his coil
  4. He feeds it in to the coil and makes it quite tight. I.e. Much tighter than we usually do for cotton
  5. He cuts the wicks quite short, just enough to touch the well deck (pretty much like most Reonaughts do) i.e. He doesnt let the wick go under the coil or lay into the well and snake around anywhere. Just short stubs
Im trying to assess what he has done that is different. I think its his technique of rolling the wick after stretching it out. More air he says inside the wick, so its not very dense. Thats probably why he gets away with making it so tight in the coil. So it takes a lot of juice becuase there is more wicking material but its not as dense.

The short wick part I understand and do already.

Must give this a try

Thanks for sharing. Has anyone else tried it?

PS- @Alex, what did you do on the nuppin? Just make the wicks touch the deck or do the wicks of each coil touch each other? Can you post a photo for us when you get a chance?

@Silver, if anything.. I have even shorter legs coming out the coil on the nuppin than normal, I think I counted about 15-17 hits before I re-squonked. And even then I didn't get close to a dry hit.

Thanks @Alex, whats your coil ID on the nuppin now? Do you have simple coils or exotics in there?

I have my tiny 1.6mm id's in both my nuppins so am worried it wont fit enough wick

Thanks @Alex, whats your coil ID on the nuppin now? Do you have simple coils or exotics in there?

I have my tiny 1.6mm id's in both my nuppins so am worried it wont fit enough wick

I have 2.5mm coils, what you need to aim for is a roll, about double the size of your coil. In your case roughly 3mm

I am curious as to how one would apply this method to organic cotton balls

I am curious as to how one would apply this method to organic cotton balls

@BhavZ, i am not confident of trying this using cotton balls
In the video, he stretches the pads and i think that makes it thinner, then he rolls it
I think the cotton balls are still too dense when its unravelled and not "sheet like" enough if you know what i mean.
But maybe its worth a try...
I love my Dischem cotton balls. Lol

@BhavZ, i am not confident of trying this using cotton balls
In the video, he stretches the pads and i think that makes it thinner, then he rolls it
I think the cotton balls are still too dense when its unravelled and not "sheet like" enough if you know what i mean.
But maybe its worth a try...
I love my Dischem cotton balls. Lol
I am of the same notion re Dischem cotton balls.. affordable, great flavour and awesome longevity..

I wonder if taking a lice comb to it to straighten the fibres and thin the cotton a bit would work then roll it like a swiss roll along the long edge and then cut to size..

I am of the same notion re Dischem cotton balls.. affordable, great flavour and awesome longevity..

I wonder if taking a lice comb to it to straighten the fibres and thin the cotton a bit would work then roll it like a swiss roll along the long edge and then cut to size..

Indeed, that may well work. Let us know if you try that.

Alternatively, there was a post somewhere where someone found the organic cotton pads (also cheap).
Maybe that will be easier

Indeed, that may well work. Let us know if you try that.

Alternatively, there was a post somewhere where someone found the organic cotton pads (also cheap).
Maybe that will be easier
Thanks

Will see if I can find a lice comb somewhere (brand new of course) then test later today

@Alex, I cannot believe it!

I tried this in my Nuppin tonight - and oh my goodness - it works like a charm!
I am taking like 10 or 15 puffs and still good flavour

My little 1.6mm ID coils are very small, so I only rolled the Jap Cotton about 2 times instead of a few more like he did.

The Jap Cotton was so tight it moved my coil a bit - so I held the coil in place.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441745249.627902.jpg

And the vape is so smooth - no popping - just awesome!!!

Will continue to enjoy it and see how it goes over the duration of the juice bottle

Thanks again @Alex - I think this is something amazing indeed.

I'm definitely going to try this. Thanx @Alex. I usually use less cotton in the coil and that has been working for me for a long time.

@Alex, I cannot believe it!

I tried this in my Nuppin tonight - and oh my goodness - it works like a charm!
I am taking like 10 or 15 puffs and still good flavour

My little 1.6mm ID coils are very small, so I only rolled the Jap Cotton about 2 times instead of a few more like he did.

The Jap Cotton was so tight it moved my coil a bit - so I held the coil in place.

View attachment 35312

And the vape is so smooth - no popping - just awesome!!!

Will continue to enjoy it and see how it goes over the duration of the juice bottle

Thanks again @Alex - I think this is something amazing indeed.

I knew you would enjoy it @Silver, for the first time in about a year I've come across something that has truly got me excited again.

I'm definitely going to try this. Thanx @Alex. I usually use less cotton in the coil and that has been working for me for a long time.

Me too @Christos !

Can you believe the surprise I got. For over a year I have been using very little cotton. Not tight, not very loose, just right. I always followed the rule of thumb that if the mod moves when you pull the cotton then its too tight. Well this is another story altogether. You can probably pick the whole mod up just by holding one of the "stubs" of cotton sticking out on any side of the coil.

Am busy doing a test of how many puffs I get on the Nuppin before I can discern a dry hit.

I am already feeling the Silver lurking, so can't do it all at once. I am counting now with pen and paper.

Stand by.

On 8 puffs
Still going

Just tried out the method and cant believe how much cotton I can actually put through a coil without getting dry hits.
Seems to hold a lot more juice than any other wicking methods I have tried so far.
Havent yet tried in a tank, but definitely works in a dripper!

Thanks for sharing!

Ok my first test has been done

It's on my Nuppin with dual 28g coils (1.6mm ID) measuring 0.46 ohms.
Fresh battery, full juice bottle. Juice is Craft Vapour Che Guava 12 mg

I got 16 puffs. Puff number 17 was dryish.

My puffs were not very long - shortish 1.5 to 2 second puffs.
  • First 10 puffs were fabulous. Loads of vapour. Very smooth action. Dense vapour. Less noisy than I'm used to for the Nuppin
  • I could feel the flavour start droping on puff number 13. Still a good puff with good flavour, but less flavour.
  • Puff number 15 was even less flavour and I could taste the early onset of a dry hit (that feeling you know you need to squonk)
  • Puff 16 was still okay but puff 17 started getting unpleasant.
I am very impressed because my coils are tiny. I am not even using as much wick as the guy in the video.

My previous experience with my Nuppin (I've had it for about 6 months) would get me about 3 to 5 puffs before needing to squonk. This is more than double.

The "Scotch Roll" wicking technique works for me - and I intend rolling it out on my RM2 and other devices to see if it works. I also need to test it on a few other juices that I know well. Che Guava is new for me. But so far so good!

First try, single coil at 1.34 ohm on a Velocity Clone, only the little holes open.

Also seem to have ended up with slightly less cotton than the video, next rounds will be better...

Hit #10 could feel the flavour starting to going down.
Hit #14 definitely getting to the dry side.
Hit #17 says that I probably don't want to do that again.

PS: Also shorter 1.5 - 2s puffs (i.e. what I normally do). YMMV.

Last edited:
Will try this in the Taifun GTii tonight

I tried this method last night on my Smok TFV4 dual coil deck and wow....This just works so well!

I am running dual coils
24g
2.5mm diameter
8 wraps a side
0.3 ohms

No leaking, no dry hits! I am going to have to invest in more cotton though as this is very cotton hungry!

Back