#ITSOKAYTOTALK - Mental Illness

Great news from both of you! @Neuk , when the whiskers start turning grey everything takes a bit longer, :D but we become wiser. Hopefully some relaxing will solve the anxiety, and being in the outdoors on a bike can only be a good thing. @ARYANTO , here’s to you gaining back that weight you lost, and to feeling better and conquering those speedbumps in front of you, one at a time.

As you said rightly @Neuk , one day at a time!

Thanks @Room Fogger :wink: My anxiety is in overdrive today so I am struggling a bit but trying to just get through the day.

Just realised something on my way home from my psychologist today. If boxing was an emotional sport, I'd be the heavyweight champion! I've taken some really hard knocks, but I've never gone down, I'm still standing and surviving the fight!

Well done, guys! That is very encouraging news indeed.

Me on the other hand, I have adjusted very well to the UK. My aunt again has remarked at how much calmer I have become and that I appear to be much more happier. And a turn of events, I have met the person I want to be with for the rest of my life.

Nothing could have turned out better than my decision to relocate to the UK. In total, I am really happy here and it's really great.

Me on the other hand, I have adjusted very well to the UK. My aunt again has remarked at how much calmer I have become and that I appear to be much more happier. And a turn of events, I have met the person I want to be with for the rest of my life.

Nothing could have turned out better than my decision to relocate to the UK. In total, I am really happy here and it's really great.
Great news @RainstormZA , good to hear about all going great in your life. Congratulations on meeting a soulmate, wishes for many happy years.

Just realised something on my way home from my psychologist today. If boxing was an emotional sport, I'd be the heavyweight champion! I've taken some really hard knocks, but I've never gone down, I'm still standing and surviving the fight!

Keep standing, keep taking the knocks, keep fighting and surviving!

It is great to hear that you are doing well in the UK! Relocating to a foreign country is a big change but after the stress it can turn out to be the best change. And meeting someone that you just click with...

I have had a stressful last few weeks, I have been sick with a throat infection and flu that I still need to get rid of, my girlfriend has been in hospital with a severe viral infection, I sold my car and am in the process of buying a replacement all alongside normal day to day and week to week life. I am trying my best to forge forward as best I can, some days are better than others, soldier on...

And meeting someone that you just click with...

Well it's someone I knew for over 10 years and never in our lives did we ever think I would ever make it to the UK, until now and I was the one who reconnected with him and it just took off from there. I got to say I am happy with the way things have turned out - I'm getting an interview from the local college to pursue a chef's apprenticeship and hopefully it goes upwards from there.

Yesterday I did an hectic 8 hour shift in the kitchen - I was alone most of the time, cooking and cleaning as well. It was the first time I had apparently started cooking orders that were rung up and I think I served about at least 15 people. I have previously assisted in the cooking and prep but this time it was a different ball game, running between 6 different stations to try and bring every ingredient together without the one going cold before the other. I got to say it was a success. I also was rather surprised as I have never cooked poached eggs in a frying pan full of water and I've seen how it can get stuffed up, having learnt from others' experiences and also watching YouTube videos didn't help either. The poached eggs came out perfectly and my superiors were quite impressed at the quality presentation of the dishes I had prepped and presented. The key is in cooking it slow so that it stays together.

No wait, I lie. I did a 10 hour shift a few weeks ago and I was tasked with another young lady, on school hols, to make pizza. We both made a total of 35 pizzas in one night. It was actually quite fun - making pizzas are a totally different ball game and I'm glad I got that experience. It took me 2 hours to wind down after that and I actually got home at 9pm that night. The young lady was an absolute delight to work with and kind of reminded me of my younger sister in a way who happened to have the same name too.

So I am made for this kind of job as a chef because of my expertise in food specially made for people with food allergies. My dream one day is to run a kitchen full of deaf people - now that would be a great thing to have, no communication barriers and to be able to work with my own people. Also that I have a lot of energy to expend and now the 5 hour shifts are not giving me what I need.

Well it's someone I knew for over 10 years and never in our lives did we ever think I would ever make it to the UK, until now and I was the one who reconnected with him and it just took off from there. I got to say I am happy with the way things have turned out - I'm getting an interview from the local college to pursue a chef's apprenticeship and hopefully it goes upwards from there.

Yesterday I did an hectic 8 hour shift in the kitchen - I was alone most of the time, cooking and cleaning as well. It was the first time I had apparently started cooking orders that were rung up and I think I served about at least 15 people. I have previously assisted in the cooking and prep but this time it was a different ball game, running between 6 different stations to try and bring every ingredient together without the one going cold before the other. I got to say it was a success. I also was rather surprised as I have never cooked poached eggs in a frying pan full of water and I've seen how it can get stuffed up, having learnt from others' experiences and also watching YouTube videos didn't help either. The poached eggs came out perfectly and my superiors were quite impressed at the quality presentation of the dishes I had prepped and presented. The key is in cooking it slow so that it stays together.

No wait, I lie. I did a 10 hour shift a few weeks ago and I was tasked with another young lady, on school hols, to make pizza. We both made a total of 35 pizzas in one night. It was actually quite fun - making pizzas are a totally different ball game and I'm glad I got that experience. It took me 2 hours to wind down after that and I actually got home at 9pm that night. The young lady was an absolute delight to work with and kind of reminded me of my younger sister in a way who happened to have the same name too.

So I am made for this kind of job as a chef because of my expertise in food specially made for people with food allergies. My dream one day is to run a kitchen full of deaf people - now that would be a great thing to have, no communication barriers and to be able to work with my own people. Also that I have a lot of energy to expend and now the 5 hour shifts are not giving me what I need.

That is great to hear ;-) Keep at it, @brotiform is also now in the UK and doing well.

P.S. I am not in to cooking at all but my girlfriends parents bought us a Thermomix which I do enjoy using but that is the nerd in me :tearsofjoy:

It has been a rough few weeks, I am nearly over the throat infection but my girlfriend is thought to have had encephalitis which has damaged her right ear with a subsequent diagnosis of vestibular neuritis. There is no quick solution, it will take months of rehabilitation for her to recover but she will never recover fully. At least I sorted a new car out although it was a somewhat frustrating process and we are still looking forward to heading to Australia next week for three weeks.

It has been a rough few weeks, I am nearly over the throat infection but my girlfriend is thought to have had encephalitis which has damaged her right ear with a subsequent diagnosis of vestibular neuritis. There is no quick solution, it will take months of rehabilitation for her to recover but she will never recover fully. At least I sorted a new car out although it was a somewhat frustrating process and we are still looking forward to heading to Australia next week for three weeks.
Good to hear that you are healing, and hope that your girlfriend will benefit from the rehab for her condition. Pity that sometimes it’s not a full recovery, but I personally think that as much as possible is still better than none.

I am also mobile again with a little auto, my left leg is thanking me every day now, so can think what you had to go through in the car search, very very frustrating episode.:confused:

Enjoy the time in Australia, on my bucket list once the 2 locusts are earning enough to pay for me to go on Holliday. :D Just watch the traffic laws, they have no mercy and you are going to love the intelligent robots that actually monitor traffic and adjust to this in the signaling process.

College apprenticeship fell through because of some stupid government requirement and a certain condition on my visa so I've been forced to go through the trainee IT program which isn't so bad. I get 10 months of study time from my PC at home in my spare time while I continue to work.

I was just offered a contract renewal for another 3 months and I'm pretty happy about it, even if its reduced pay and more hours (as apparently the pay I was getting isn't what everyone else was paying which is what I had been expecting to happen as well). At least I still have a job and I don't have to stress until I get my training done and be offered a job position in the IT sector. It's the only way forward to getting work in IT, at least for me it is because of my hearing disability.

Compliments of the season everyone :sunglasses: How is everyone doing? I'll go first...

I am looking forward to 2020 for a number of reasons but have some personal work to do on a number of fronts. I started the year flying with regards to activity, a lot of cycling, running, walking, yoga, etc. which I am happy about. I have started meditating again which I hope will help with how I react to frustrating/stressful situations, which leaves a lot to be desired at present. I need to sort work out, it is a bit slow at the moment while we wait on a number of potential projects and I also need to figure out how best to expand my skills this through training, courses, certifications, etc. We have a lot going on at home with repair work, maintenance work, upgrade work, etc.as well as managing our two dogs, the youngest can be quite a handful at times as he is still a puppy. All in, lots to look forward to this year, some big changes, a lot of work and challenges but a lot of potential...

Off to see my pscyc again , first 2020 meet , depression has lifted but insomnia still rules and flashbacks is still bad , picked up some weight and in general are feeling better. Great 2020 to all of you .;)

Compliments of the season everyone :sunglasses: How is everyone doing? I'll go first...

I am looking forward to 2020 for a number of reasons but have some personal work to do on a number of fronts. I started the year flying with regards to activity, a lot of cycling, running, walking, yoga, etc. which I am happy about. I have started meditating again which I hope will help with how I react to frustrating/stressful situations, which leaves a lot to be desired at present. I need to sort work out, it is a bit slow at the moment while we wait on a number of potential projects and I also need to figure out how best to expand my skills this through training, courses, certifications, etc. We have a lot going on at home with repair work, maintenance work, upgrade work, etc.as well as managing our two dogs, the youngest can be quite a handful at times as he is still a puppy. All in, lots to look forward to this year, some big changes, a lot of work and challenges but a lot of potential...
Compliments to you as well @Neuk , also waiting on work, some tenders in the pipeline, hope some comes my way. Also want to start studying and exercising by cycling, will see how it goes. Have a great 2020 Sir, and same for @ARYANTO , good to hear you are also on the mend.

Compliments to you as well @Neuk , also waiting on work, some tenders in the pipeline, hope some comes my way. Also want to start studying and exercising by cycling, will see how it goes. Have a great 2020 Sir, and same for @ARYANTO , good to hear you are also on the mend.

Good luck with the tenders! And get on that bike, I keep falling off but keep getting back on :tearsofjoy:

OK feedback - still suffering from insomnia and depression , but getting there , they gave me Seroquel xr 50 mg , hope this will help ?

Good luck with the tenders! And get on that bike, I keep falling off but keep getting back on :tearsofjoy:
Thinking of getting a tandem, the front one can do the pedaling, I can admire the scenery, just don’t trust Locust 1 , he is a speed freak on a bike. Look dad, 73 km/h on a downhill in a mountain bike race,:facepalm: I pushed the bike down.:confused: No way I riding down something with an angle that looks like a mineshaft.:D He did finish first though and it was a toughee.

OK feedback - still suffering from insomnia and depression , but getting there , they gave me Seroquel xr 50 mg , hope this will help ?

I am sorry to hear that you are still suffering but glad to hear that you are seeking help and getting it. I hope the Seroquel helps, be patient and take it day by day.

Thinking of getting a tandem, the front one can do the pedaling, I can admire the scenery, just don’t trust Locust 1 , he is a speed freak on a bike. Look dad, 73 km/h on a downhill in a mountain bike race,:facepalm: I pushed the bike down.:confused: No way I riding down something with an angle that looks like a mineshaft.:D He did finish first though and it was a toughee.

I have never ridden a tandem, only a road and mountain bike, I used to be a maniac on my old road bike in the early 2000's. I now only have my two mountain bikes, an old GT iDrive with 26" wheels and v-brakes and my Scott Spark 940 with full suspension, 29" tubeless wheels and hydraulic disc brakes. I am doing the Cape Town Cycle tour in March so need to organise a road bike but will borrow one as I am not so keen to start road cycling again.

Eh not so much. Just taking one day at a time, it's tough dealing with some health mysteries and having to go back to the doctor every time there's a problem that only they can sort out. It's just one thing after another, I'm just tired of all the curve balls I have to deal with.

Other than that, for some strange reason, road running has been on the back of my mind for a while now and I think I want to start running again soon. I"m extremely unfit so I guess I will have to start slow and then build up from there - a day at a time. I'm also lazy so it's going to take some real courage and motivation to get going and keep at it.

Back