Kanger Squonkbox?!

I pulled the trigger this morning ;)20160430_120134-1.jpg
Awesome little device, my vtc mini gonna take a backseat for a while...

Would a clapton build work nice on the standard rda? Very new to this type of setup and dont wanna blow my hands or face off...

Would a clapton build work nice on the standard rda? Very new to this type of setup and dont wanna blow my hands or face off...

Awesome purchase. You definitely won't regret it. Claptons should be fine on there. The standard build in there is 0.2ohms. Dual Claptons 5-6 wraps should give you around 0.5ohms.

Played with a host of coils on it
Best to date 24 g kanthal 6 wrap dual coils on 2.4 mm ID
Claptons work but drain battery every quickly

I held one of these drip boxes today
And inspected it quite carefully
Was a black one

Was surprisingly small. Not as tall as the Reo
Very light
Soft touch squonk bottle. Like the way it goes in to the squonk feeding mechanism
I didnt try it but was suitably impressed

At the price (about R600) it seems like a no brainer

Had a guy in the shop today with one of these, he was completely convinced that it is a regulated mod, became rather belligerent about it in fact. Said he bought it from XY vape shop and "those guys know what they talking about, you can even see it on their website". I let it slide eventually but thought it may be important to clarify this point here for other folks considering purchasing one of these especially those new to vaping. It has been mentioned here before but please indulge me in stating the facts again.

The dripbox is a bypass device, it does NOT regulate voltage, this means that as the battery power decreases so does the wattage at the coil. A full battery gives me 3.5V (31W) at the coil and with a battery at 20% gives me 3.1V (24w) at the coil, on the same setup coiled at 0.39 ohm. It also means that the wattage you want to run it at is determined by the resistance at the coil.

In this respect it behaves like a mech mod does except that it cuts out when the battery reaches a preset minimum voltage thereby protecting the battery from permanent damage and of course has that very useful built in charger.

This also means that if you are used to the constant flavour and vapour a regulated mod gives, you will most certainly notice the difference on a dripbox as the day goes by.

So if you see it advertised or described as 'constant 60W' please know that it is just the usual BS hype marketing. The dripbox is a great device and at the price point will bring many more folks to the pleasures of bottom fed vaping but please understand what it is ... and what it ain't ... ;)

Had a guy in the shop today with one of these, he was completely convinced that it is a regulated mod, became rather belligerent about it in fact. Said he bought it from XY vape shop and "those guys know what they talking about, you can even see it on their website". I let it slide eventually but thought it may be important to clarify this point here for other folks considering purchasing one of these especially those new to vaping. It has been mentioned here before but please indulge me in stating the facts again.

The dripbox is a bypass device, it does NOT regulate voltage, this means that as the battery power decreases so does the wattage at the coil. A full battery gives me 3.5V (31W) at the coil and with a battery at 20% gives me 3.1V (24w) at the coil, on the same setup coiled at 0.39 ohm. It also means that the wattage you want to run it at is determined by the resistance at the coil.

In this respect it behaves like a mech mod does except that it cuts out when the battery reaches a preset minimum voltage thereby protecting the battery from permanent damage and of course has that very useful built in charger.

This also means that if you are used to the constant flavour and vapour a regulated mod gives, you will most certainly notice the difference on a dripbox as the day goes by.

So if you see it advertised or described as 'constant 60W' please know that it is just the usual BS hype marketing. The dripbox is a great device and at the price point will bring many more folks to the pleasures of bottom fed vaping but please understand what it is ... and what it ain't ... ;)
A full charge would be somewhat more than 3.5V, not? Around 4.2 V, which should give about 45 W at 0.39 ohms?

A full charge would be somewhat more than 3.5V, not? Around 4.2 V, which should give about 45 W at 0.39 ohms?
No wonder is was coughing the first hour or so hahahahaha .. Could have been the liquid I used as well though ..

Whilst the battery may show 4.2 volt with a full charge, as soon as any significant amount of current is drawn from the battery the voltage 'droops', this is due to battery chemistry, internal resistance etc. The voltage recovers as soon as the load is removed minus the capacity used. Wattage calculation in bypass mode or a mech mod is therefore never a straightforward calculation but I guess 3.6 volt is a a good bet for generalised calculations on 0.5 Ohm and lower.

As it turns out higher capacity batteries have higher internal resistance and the voltage drop is greater at higher currents. Hence the reason a 25R at 2500 mah performs better than say an LG at 3000 mah once the resistance at the coil goes below a certain point.

The coils are Kanthal afaik and should last a good while. Pulse them to red heat a few times to clean 'em when replacing the cotton..
Thank you @JakeSA and how long does the cotton last? I'm new to rebuildables .. Only used tanks and commercial coils till now . Need to learn how to do the cotton too but I'll google that later haha

Thank you @JakeSA and how long does the cotton last? I'm new to rebuildables .. Only used tanks and commercial coils till now . Need to learn how to do the cotton too but I'll google that later haha

Hi @Chezzig
The cotton wicks inside rebuildable coils can last for a while - but it depends on the juice, the power and your taste buds ;-) (And also what material wick you use)

In my Lemo1, a Rayon wick lasts about 20-30ml using a lightish "non-destructive" strawberry menthol mix at low power of around 15 Watts.

On the Reos, I generally rewick every bottle - so thats about 6ml. I could go longer but its so easy to rewick on a dripper that the improved flavour for me generally outweighs the few minutes of rewicking.

There are some juices (generally the darker ones and the tobaccoes) that are very destructive on the coils and wicks. My WB Blackbird destroys wicks in no time. I sometimes rewick after 3ml because the taste on a new wick is just too good.

I have found that Rayon wicks on lighter coloured juices at lowish power can last ages. I have one setup where the flavour is still very good, 30 ml of juice in.

You need to experiment a bit - with different wick materials - to see what you like.

Ive hardly put my dripbox down today.... what im loving is that i can fill the squonk bottle or drip with ease. Have had some wicked mixed juice combos today, I might just have to get another ;) what alternate rda would work best with this mod? I know ppl have mentioned the velocity v2, anything else that would compliment this little monster?

Does anyone know how long the supplied replacement coils last ?
@Chezzig I wondered how long it would be before you got one! The white is magnificent. I've used mine for more than a week now constantly with the fitted coil, only rewicked a few times.

Sent from my ONE 3G HD using Tapatalk

@Chezzig I wondered how long it would be before you got one! The white is magnificent. I've used mine for more than a week now constantly with the fitted coil, only rewicked a few times.

Sent from my ONE 3G HD using Tapatalk
Hahaha .. I'm terrible ..just watched a few vids on rewicking .. Going to try it now now ... Wish me luck lol.

Back