Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I find this interesting and think that we are in a similar position, although unproven.

Actual Cases (1.7 million: 10 times the number of confirmed cases)
New York State conducted an antibody testing study [source], showing that 12.3% of the population in the state had COVID-19 antibodies as of May 1, 2020. The survey developed a baseline infection rate by testing 15,103 people at grocery stores and community centers across the state over the preceding two weeks. The study provides a breakdown by county, race (White 7%, Asian 11.1%, multi/none/other 14.4%, Black 17.4%, Latino/Hispanic 25.4%), and age, among other variables. 19.9% of the population of New York City had COVID-19 antibodies. With a population of 8,398,748 people in NYC [source], this percentage would indicate that 1,671,351 people had been infected with SARS-CoV-2 and had recovered as of May 1 in New York City. The number of confirmed cases reported as of May 1 by New York City was 166,883 [source], more than 10 times less.

https://www.facebook.com/Fita-1512331899070066
15 July 2020

"Our Application for Leave to Appeal the full bench of the High Court ruling of 26 June 2020 which dismissed our application challenging the cigarette ban during the lockdown period was heard earlier today.

We are once again very happy with the arguments raised by our legal team and we now await the ruling of the Court.

Judgment in the matter has been reserved and the Court has said that it will deliver judgment on whether we should be allowed to challenge the aforementioned dismissal of our cigarette ban challenge during the course of next week.

We will notify the public as soon as we receive this judgment.

Thank you!"

HEADS UP!!
SA drivers warned of stricter stop and search operations
https://www.capetownetc.com/news/sa-drivers-warned-of-stricter-stop-and-search-operations
15 July 2020

"South Africa’s drivers are being warned to expect stricter enforcement of lockdown regulations on roads. The warning was issued by Minister of Police Bheki Cele, during a media briefing on Wednesday, July 15.

According to Cele, these enforcement measures will include roadblocks and patrols, along with increased police visibility “where applicable” in streets, malls and other places people have a tendency to ignore social distancing protocols.

“There will also be random stop and search operations to ensure that the prohibition on the transportation of alcohol and tobacco is not being subverted,” the Minister said. “Throughout all of this, law enforcement officials will be dependent on the cooperation of community members to ensure these operations are handled in the best possible spirit and with the least disruption.”

“Law enforcement officials have been instructed to act resolutely to enforce compliance with the regulations, arresting those that breach them and ensuring that they are successfully prosecuted,” Cele added.

You won’t be arrested for not wearing a mask – but this may change
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/is-not-wearing-a-mask-illegal-2020-7
13 July 2020

"While wearing an “appropriate item that covers the nose and mouth” in a public place is mandatory, it is still not a criminal offence to go without, government confirmed on Monday.

But while you may not be arrested for not wearing a mask in a store, workplace or taxi – the owner of the premises or vehicle may end up in jail for six months and/or face a fine.

New regulations, that were gazetted on Sunday evening, determine that building and store owners, as well as all employers and school principals will face six months and/or fines if they allow mask-free people on their premises. Taxi operators will face the same penalties if they don't enforce mask-wearing ... "

But the individual self won’t face jail time or a fine, Ronald Lamola, Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, said on Monday.

You won’t be arrested for not wearing a mask – but this may change
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/is-not-wearing-a-mask-illegal-2020-7
13 July 2020

"While wearing an “appropriate item that covers the nose and mouth” in a public place is mandatory, it is still not a criminal offence to go without, government confirmed on Monday.

But while you may not be arrested for not wearing a mask in a store, workplace or taxi – the owner of the premises or vehicle may end up in jail for six months and/or face a fine.

New regulations, that were gazetted on Sunday evening, determine that building and store owners, as well as all employers and school principals will face six months and/or fines if they allow mask-free people on their premises. Taxi operators will face the same penalties if they don't enforce mask-wearing ... "

But the individual self won’t face jail time or a fine, Ronald Lamola, Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, said on Monday.

https://www.news24.com/news24/south...-court-for-not-wearing-a-mask-lamola-20200715

This is going to be spectacular.

HEADS UP!!
SA drivers warned of stricter stop and search operations
https://www.capetownetc.com/news/sa-drivers-warned-of-stricter-stop-and-search-operations
15 July 2020

"South Africa’s drivers are being warned to expect stricter enforcement of lockdown regulations on roads. The warning was issued by Minister of Police Bheki Cele, during a media briefing on Wednesday, July 15.

According to Cele, these enforcement measures will include roadblocks and patrols, along with increased police visibility “where applicable” in streets, malls and other places people have a tendency to ignore social distancing protocols.

“There will also be random stop and search operations to ensure that the prohibition on the transportation of alcohol and tobacco is not being subverted,” the Minister said. “Throughout all of this, law enforcement officials will be dependent on the cooperation of community members to ensure these operations are handled in the best possible spirit and with the least disruption.”

“Law enforcement officials have been instructed to act resolutely to enforce compliance with the regulations, arresting those that breach them and ensuring that they are successfully prosecuted,” Cele added.
they're going to be bullying the townships. I haven't seen hide nor hair of cops around the middle class suburbs.

Drove through 2 provincial lines this week for work. 1st one didn't stop me, 2nd one was polite and just took down license plate for "tracing"... Haha whatever use that is I have no idea, didn't even ask for papers.

Is having your vape in your car considered transporting tobacco?
Just ignore cops, don't look at them. Be firm and polite if they stop you however. They're just people doing their jobs if you don't bother them they won't bother you.

Also helps not to have a smug face haha.

Woke up this morning
and 3 little birds
outside my window
were singing this song...
You a true Vape Master with 30,000 Positive Ratings !!
Thank you all my friends here at Esiggsa ,it is great fun to travel this road with you ,
I appreciate every one of you .
:):):)

The guys are nearly finished with the ceiling stripping and the cupboards are going back in , I am really impressed with the colour of the walls ,this is the 1st coat , still waiting for my sliding door , hopefully today or Friday.
20200713_102715.jpg

Woke up this morning
and 3 little birds
outside my window
were singing this song...
You a true Vape Master with 30,000 Positive Ratings !!
Thank you all my friends here at Esiggsa ,it is great fun to travel this road with you ,
I appreciate every one of you .
:):):)

Well done @ARYANTO!

way-to-go-clipart-36.jpg

FITA ACCUSED TO [SIC] CHALLENGING CIGARETTE BAN TO PROTECT MONETARY GAINS
https://ewn.co.za/2020/07/16/fita-accused-to-challenging-cigarette-ban-to-protect-monetary-gains
16 July 2020

"The government has accused the Fair-Trade Independent Tobacco Association (Fita) of pursuing the tobacco products ban on sales mainly to protect their monetary gains. This has formed part of the government’s reasoning against the association’s leave to appeal an adverse ruling by the Pretoria High Court ...

Advocate Marumo Moerane told the full bench of the court that the legal challenge was not in the public’s interest as asserted by the association in its legal bid.

While the organisation cited the economic impact as part of its argument on why the decision should be reversed it also cited, as equally important, the legal ramifications of the issue, saying that the sales ban failed the rationality test.

Moerane said that this would not pass at the Supreme Court of Appeal where Fita hoped that its challenge would be treated favourably.

“The grounds of appeal lack reasonable prospects of success, and we submit that there exists no compelling reason this appeal should be heard and that the application should, therefore, be dismissed with cost.”

Judge President Dunstan Mblambo said judgment in the matter will be delivered next week."

4 Members of my station, including a detective and my station commander has tested positive for the virus.
Station has been closed twice already, but is open again now. Looks like eventually when I get back from leave I'll get it as well at some point. My station commander's husband and daughter also tested positive. Sigh.

4 Members of my station, including a detective and my station commander has tested positive for the virus.
Station has been closed twice already, but is open again now. Looks like eventually when I get back from leave I'll get it as well at some point. My station commander's husband and daughter also tested positive. Sigh.

Oh. My. Vape. Surely they can't make you return to work under these circumstances @zadiac?

An acquaintance of mine invited someone to her house last Sunday for lunch. On Monday this person receive her results - positive. She didn't have any symptoms, but everyone at her work had been tested. Whew. Not nice. Imagine having had someone right there in your house and the next day you find out that they've tested positive.

The worst thing is that my acquaintance is a high-risk person. When COVID first reared its ugly head in our area, her doctor booked her off work and told her to self-isolate for 30 days, just as a precaution. She suffers from asthma, brochitis and from time to time is rushed to hospital because she can't breathe. Not a good situation for her to be in, now!

Back