Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every time I get all whiny about being locked down, I see stories like these that make me grateful to be stuck at home. Stay strong, folks.

It’s a mess out there now. Hard to discern between what’s a real threat and what is just simple panic and hysteria. For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900.

On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million.

On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy.

When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war.

Smallpox was epidemic until you were in your 40’s, as it killed 300 million people during your lifetime.

At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million perish. From your birth, until you were 55, you dealt with the fear of polio epidemics each summer. You experience friends and family contracting polio and being paralyzed and/or dying.

At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn’t end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict. During the Cold War, you lived each day with the fear of nuclear annihilation. On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, almost ended. When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends.

Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How did they endure all of that? When you were a kid in 1985 and didn’t think your 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above. Perspective is an amazing art. Refined and enlightening as time goes on. Let’s try and keep things in perspective. Your parents and/or grandparents were called to endure all of the above – you are called to stay home and sit on your couch.

Oh. My. Vape. Surely they can't make you return to work under these circumstances @zadiac?

I am a police officer. I don't have a choice. Also, I have a duty to go and do my work. I will do it, of my own free will.
At some point we will all get the virus. If I get it at work, then so be it.

I am a police officer. I don't have a choice. Also, I have a duty to go and do my work. I will do it, of my own free will.
I agree with you @zadiac , and I thank you for your service to us.

It’s not really a matter of if we get it, it’s when and how bad. I made peace with that quite some time ago, I’m not going about being reckless, and will do my best to delay the inevitable, but if it comes hopefully I can ride it out and bounce back. Hoping I can pull through to warmer weather before it hits as it does seem to help in recovery a bit. For now it’s Vit C, lots of veggies, and my daily minimum 30 min dose of sun for Vit D with a brisk walk for exercise.

@zadiac If I could protect you with my thoughts, I would! I hope you'll be OK

they're going to be bullying the townships. I haven't seen hide nor hair of cops around the middle class suburbs.

Drove through 2 provincial lines this week for work. 1st one didn't stop me, 2nd one was polite and just took down license plate for "tracing"... Haha whatever use that is I have no idea, didn't even ask for papers.

I don't think so - the townships do as they please.

Back at work today after getting the all clear yesterday. Glad to report, it was only regular flu. :headbang:

So glad to hear that @Dela Rey Steyn! To me, the greatest problem is how does one know (without being tested) whether it's regular flu or COVID? About 2 weeks ago I felt flu-ish for two days. Sore throat; temp was 37.1 at one stage. It camd own within 2 hours of taking Paracetamol though. If it hadn't I would have been very concerned. How can I ask for a test just because I have a sore throat and don't feelf well? Would they even test me?

So glad to hear that @Dela Rey Steyn! To me, the greatest problem is how does one know (without being tested) whether it's regular flu or COVID? About 2 weeks ago I felt flu-ish for two days. Sore throat; temp was 37.1 at one stage. It camd own within 2 hours of taking Paracetamol though. If it hadn't I would have been very concerned. How can I ask for a test just because I have a sore throat and don't feelf well? Would they even test me?

If you are older than 55 and show symptoms they will test you. Might help if you can get a dr's note.

I found this page on Facebook with loads of interesting articles.

No trolls. Just a group of Gauteng Doctors that is sharing information about Covid-19.

Yeah! Power is back on! We've been without power since 6a.m. today. Repairs and maintenance, they said. Time will tell ...

Yeah! Power is back on! We've been without power since 6a.m. today. Repairs and maintenance, they said. Time will tell ...

In a turn of massive strangeness, we just had loadshedding for 37 minutes. Not complaining, mind.

Discovered Radio Caroline yesterday , an UK oldies station that streams all over the world - if you like 60-70's music , here is the link - I have been listening to them since yesterday . Many good memories !
http://www.carolineflashback.co.uk/#home.html
Welcome to the Radio Caroline Flashback website
Many people, of a certain age, still associate Radio Caroline with the pop music of the 60s & 70s. Caroline Flashback provides an alternative service for loyal and new listeners, who want to hear tracks from this exciting era. They used to be a pirate radio station broadcasting from Ross Revenge ,a trawler !
ross_above_836.jpg

Last edited:
Here is where we stand on Friday afternoon , still no door but the interior is getting there , new light fittings is in and my ''desk'' is up . The colours are really looking great , and compliments the floor . Railing outside is finished , now need to do the finer painting over the weekend , busy painting the house as well , main gate is being constructed .
20200717_152728.jpg
20200717_152809.jpg

Belarus president unwilling to accept additional terms to get foreign loans
Additional conditions which do not apply to the financial part are unacceptable for Belarus, Belarus President Aleksandr Lukashenko said
Meanwhile, the IMF continues to demand from us quarantine measures, isolation, a curfew. This is nonsense. We will not dance to anyone's tune,” said the president.

https://eng.belta.by/president/view...ional-terms-to-get-foreign-loans-131164-2020/

Sounds fishy as all get out, guess our Ramafosa did some fancy Bboy moves to get the R90 billion.

Belarus president unwilling to accept additional terms to get foreign loans
Additional conditions which do not apply to the financial part are unacceptable for Belarus, Belarus President Aleksandr Lukashenko said
Meanwhile, the IMF continues to demand from us quarantine measures, isolation, a curfew. This is nonsense. We will not dance to anyone's tune,” said the president.

https://eng.belta.by/president/view...ional-terms-to-get-foreign-loans-131164-2020/

Sounds fishy as all get out, guess our Ramafosa did some fancy Bboy moves to get the R90 billion.

Back