Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Went for a hike today with some friends, was kinda weird since its the first time I've really interacted with people in 6 months but was absolutely a relief and much needed decompression. I kinda don't care if I caught it today, I just needed some life back in my life.

The sooner they open the better. We've had a few incidents here of paintball shooters and a woman was shot in the face with a BB gun. Obviously bored kids who have a distorted idea of fun.

Update:
He was a 15 year old, who shot a cat (who subsequently needed surgery costing R3,000); a few other animals; about 7 cars and the woman whom he shot with the BB gun.

He was traced to an address and it turns out the people are weekenders. The mother admitted that it was her son who was the culprit, but said that he's used to shooting on the farm. The police are investigating the matter.

Oh. My. Vape. Does he also shoot animals, cars and people on the farm? Here we have the beginnings of a psychopath. I would so much like to help him by sending him for a psychiatric evaluation, but first he needs a damn good wallop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The second-biggest city in Australia now has a curfew and a 5km travel limit
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/m...few-after-new-rise-covid-19-infections-2020-8
2 August 2020

"Melbourne, Australia's second-biggest city, has gone into stage-four lockdown after reporting a new spike of coronavirus infections.

The new lockdown restrictions include an overnight curfew from 20:00 to 05:00 and banning residents from travelling more than 5 kilometres from their home.

The curfew and new lockdown measures will remain in place until at least September 13, although state officials have said that the six weeks curfew could be shortened...."

And if you thought that the above is bad, read on ...

Philippines police have arrested 76,000 people for breaching lockdown
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/philippines-police-arrested-people-for-breaching-lockdown-2020-7
1 August 2020

"... Between March 17 and July 25, Philippine police made 76,000 arrests, and recorded more than 260,000 violations of curfew or lockdown rules, according to The Washington Post.

More than 900 complaints alleging torture, inhumane treatment, arrests, or detention were made to the Philippines' Commission on Human Rights... "

[My comment: All told, we're having a pretty good time here in SA, so let's stop complaining!]

It's so quiet at our resort under stupid lockdown the blesbok are wandering down in front of the hotel and my house. This one my daughter has named Rudolf Reindeer, he let's her get pretty close but not me haha. A zebra was on my front lawn yesterday... Which me daughter pronounces zeebra. Got to stop her watching blippi :DScreenshot_20200803_181808.jpg

Has anyone heard of "planned new restrictions" on tobacco in SA?

Have you tried to quit? SA to take part in a big tobacco survey ahead of planned new restrictions
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/t...he-global-adult-tobacco-survey-in-2021-2020-8

Go to above link for full article.
  • SA is due to take part in the Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) for the first time next year.
  • Between March and May, more than 11,000 households will be surveyed on their tobacco use, exposure to second-hand smoke, attempts to quit, and awareness of anti-smoking campaigns.
  • That will be handy to keep track of changes as SA introduces new anti-tobacco measures [my highlights] says the SA Medical Research Council.
  • But standard questions on whether smokers had tried to quit on their own willpower and what kind of communication they saw about the dangers of smoking – in the previous 12 months – may yield weird results.

Has anyone heard of "planned new restrictions" on tobacco in SA?

Have you tried to quit? SA to take part in a big tobacco survey ahead of planned new restrictions
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/t...he-global-adult-tobacco-survey-in-2021-2020-8

Go to above link for full article.
  • SA is due to take part in the Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) for the first time next year.
  • Between March and May, more than 11,000 households will be surveyed on their tobacco use, exposure to second-hand smoke, attempts to quit, and awareness of anti-smoking campaigns.
  • That will be handy to keep track of changes as SA introduces new anti-tobacco measures [my highlights] says the SA Medical Research Council.
  • But standard questions on whether smokers had tried to quit on their own willpower and what kind of communication they saw about the dangers of smoking – in the previous 12 months – may yield weird results.
I heard that even CBD is now considered as a tobacco product.

OK please me there is another country where we can vape and enjoy it and not to worry who is going to complain because this is really starting to get out of hand
How much I vape or smoke got nothing to do with the government my house my rules my life

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

• The Supreme Court of Appeal has knocked down a 2018 interdict granted by the high court in Pretoria that prevented police from going after South Africans with expired gun licences.
  • That leaves somewhere around 450,000 gun owners stripped of protection they had from being pursued by the SA Police Service because their licences had expired.
  • Gun owners had argued that taking away their weapons would present 'a clear and pressing danger to the security of the state".
  • But 1.7 million other firearm owners had managed to renew their licences, and unlicensed firearms are the real danger, the SCA says.
  • For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.

Interest rates are almost at a 47-year low - should you fix your home loan rate?
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/fix-your-home-loan-rate-2020-7

''The big benefit of a fixed rate mortgage is the certainty it brings, as this kind of payment is usually the biggest monthly cost in most households," according to head of customer delight at Nedbank Home Loans Thozama Mochadibane.

The downside, however, according to Mochadibane, is that "locking yourself into a fixed rate for say three years, is that there is a chance that interest rates could remain low or fall even further over that time, leaving you paying more than you otherwise would have".

Back