Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Comment of the day today was some random auntie on Facebook saying that she’s a vegan and has always believed natural is better so she’ll take her chances and rather get COVID and then be naturally immune than take the jab.

She definitely needs a a carrot up her ass that one.

@Adephi @Grand Guru wanted to ask, my second jab date is 42 from the first, can I go lets say on day 43 (more convenient) ?

wont make a difference will it ?

@Adephi @Grand Guru wanted to ask, my second jab date is 42 from the first, can I go lets say on day 43 (more convenient) ?

I was supposed to go last Thursday for my second one but postponed because I went fishing. Did not want any possible side effects to ruin the trip. I will go this Thursday

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

I was supposed to go last Thursday for my second one but postponed because I went fishing. Did not want any possible side effects to ruin the trip. I will go this Thursday

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

a larger gap between doses is actually seen as a bit more beneficial, so a couple of days past the 42 days isn't a problem. Recent UK studies actually suggest the sweet spot to be at an 8 week gap for the Pfizer Vax

https://www.news24.com/news24/south...urth-wave-arrives-salim-abdool-karim-20210907

Covid-19: Make sure you are vaccinated by the time the fourth wave arrives - Salim Abdool Karim

"If you are going to get infected in the fourth wave, I really hope that you are vaccinated. Because if you are vaccinated, you are unlikely to need ICU care, unlikely to need any of the care that Professor Scholtz showed so vividly in the movie, because the vaccines prevent that."

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/mu-variant-should-you-be-worried?justPublished=true

Mu variant: Should you be worried?

On August 31, a new Variant of Interest (which is a classification less severe than a “Variant of Concern”) was added to the World Health Organization’s weekly report: Mu. This has made a splash in the news.

Should we be worried?

Probably not, but it’s worth watching. There are three broad ways in which a virus will mutate:

1. More transmissible

2. More deadly

3. Escape vaccine immunity
It looks like Mu is mostly #2 (as seen in nursing home deaths in Belgium) and #3. So it’s more deadly and could escape vaccines and medical treatments. Importantly, though, it doesn’t look to be more transmissible than Delta. Because of this, Delta is holding strong and isn’t being pushed away. In fact, the global prevalence of Mu is decreasing, which is a great sign.

A new mutation shouldn’t be a surprise

SARS-CoV-2 is mutating every two weeks due to the high levels of transmission across the globe. Only 36% of the globe is vaccinated with low adherence to public health measures in some countries, which allows this virus to jump from person-to-person at a high rate.

Contrary to misinformation circulating on the web, vaccines do not promote mutations. We actually saw the opposite in a recent study. Scientists looked at the rate in which Delta made small changes as it spread throughout 20 countries between June 20 to July 3 2021. They found that vaccination coverage was inversely related to the mutation frequency. In other words, the more a country was vaccinated, the less fast the virus changed. There were four countries that didn’t follow this pattern:

1. Australia: Where the country isn’t very vaccinated (10.8%) but mutation frequency was also extremely low. This is likely due to their strict lockdowns.

2. Japan, USA, and Switzerland: The rate of mutation was very high relative to vaccination rates, suggesting that mitigation strategies have been less successful

Some good news
Lockdown Level 2 imminent, with new curfew, booze and gathering rules expected
https://www.news24.com/news24/south...w-booze-and-gathering-rules-expected-20210907

Not sure if it's good news, but it is news. Current restrictions would be more conducive to a less severe 4th wave. We can buy booze and visits friends currently, there is no real restrictions on trade. People are just going to take it as an excuse to completely cut loose and ignore proper protocols again.

Not sure if it's good news, but it is news. Current restrictions would be more conducive to a less severe 4th wave. We can buy booze and visits friends currently, there is no real restrictions on trade. People are just going to take it as an excuse to completely cut loose and ignore proper protocols again.

And it's going to make it so much harder to go back to a higher level when the 4th hits. People are already fed up with this excercise.

Decided to do a little stats monitoring since the 13th of August... below the graphs for Active Cases, Vaccines, Daily Deaths and New Cases in RSA... still need some work to fine tune the data, but the trends are showing nicely over the last 27 days. Will keep monitoring it daily and update it now and again for anyone interested.

upload_2021-9-8_21-28-30.png

upload_2021-9-8_21-28-49.png

upload_2021-9-8_21-29-9.png

upload_2021-9-8_21-29-28.png

Decided to do a little stats monitoring since the 13th of August... below the graphs for Active Cases, Vaccines, Daily Deaths and New Cases in RSA... still need some work to fine tune the data, but the trends are showing nicely over the last 27 days. Will keep monitoring it daily and update it now and again for anyone interested.

View attachment 238774

View attachment 238775

View attachment 238776

View attachment 238777

This wave is coming off slooowly in comparison to previous waves.

upload_2021-9-9_14-34-34.png

Back