Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Read on DISPATCH LIVE :
There is no question people are desperate for food, but attacking a Qumbu homestead with an AK-47 assault rifle for the sake of lone chicken seems a bit excessive.

The siege, allegedly by four armed men on the Qotira homestead in the early hours of Sunday, has now landed them behind bars.

According to Eastern Cape police spokesperson captain Dineo Koena, the AK-47 and two shotguns were seized during an operation conducted by Qumbu police at Kalankomo locality on Wednesday morning.

"On May 3 there was a shooting at the homestead at about 5.45am. A chicken was stolen by the suspects. No-one was injured," Koena said.

"In the early hours of Wednesday three 17-year-boys were arrested for possession of two shotguns. A 23-year-man was arrested after he was found in possession of the AK-47."

The four will appear in connection with the chicken heist in the Qumbu magistrate's court on Friday.

They are charged with of attempted murder and possession of unlicensed firearms. The firearms will be sent for ballistic testing.

District commissioner major-general David Kanuka said: "Let's not give criminals space to breathe, let us suffocate them and make them feel us."

Koena's statement did not make any mention of the chicken's fate.

Cyril say:
''the new economic future must be “inclusive, empowering to women, young people and to black people in the main”.

“Radical economic transformation must underpin the economic future that we will need to craft going forward. We should be able to do this through a new compact we are going to build,” said Ramaphosa.

Elaborating further, he said the new compact would involve “all key role-players in our economy”, as well as labour and community-based organisations.

interesting :

Jamie McKane7 May 2020
Decontamination tunnels
One product which appears to be gaining traction as the demand for sanitation equipment increases in South Africa is the coronavirus sanitising tunnel.

These container-like boxes are placed so that people have to walk through them before entering a building, and they spray inhabitants with a sanitising spraying solution which kills the virus and disinfects anybody passing through.

A Spar Express store in Mbombela recently rolled out one of these Anti-Vi installations at their entrance.

Joe Maswanganyi :
..Lobbyists advocating for the sale of cigarettes during level 4 lockdown to base their argument on facts, with respect to the claim that the government stands to lose on tax revenue collection.

“The sale of cigarettes falls under the excise duty tax category, which contributes only 3.2% to the revenue.

“Under the same category, cigarette sales come second, below alcohol.''

Might be paranoia setting in but after reading a few stories about people getting in kak for cigarettes etc.....Do you guys think SAPS/SANDF can give us a hassle should we get stopped and they find our vapes/devices on us? A further search and a bottle of juice laying in the car as well.

Read on DISPATCH LIVE :
There is no question people are desperate for food, but attacking a Qumbu homestead with an AK-47 assault rifle for the sake of lone chicken seems a bit excessive.

The siege, allegedly by four armed men on the Qotira homestead in the early hours of Sunday, has now landed them behind bars.

According to Eastern Cape police spokesperson captain Dineo Koena, the AK-47 and two shotguns were seized during an operation conducted by Qumbu police at Kalankomo locality on Wednesday morning.

"On May 3 there was a shooting at the homestead at about 5.45am. A chicken was stolen by the suspects. No-one was injured," Koena said.

"In the early hours of Wednesday three 17-year-boys were arrested for possession of two shotguns. A 23-year-man was arrested after he was found in possession of the AK-47."

The four will appear in connection with the chicken heist in the Qumbu magistrate's court on Friday.

They are charged with of attempted murder and possession of unlicensed firearms. The firearms will be sent for ballistic testing.

District commissioner major-general David Kanuka said: "Let's not give criminals space to breathe, let us suffocate them and make them feel us."

Koena's statement did not make any mention of the chicken's fate.

This men has guns. That is the issue and should be the issue. The fact that they stole food should be overlooked because the food parcles were stolen.

Cyril say:
''the new economic future must be “inclusive, empowering to women, young people and to black people in the main”.

“Radical economic transformation must underpin the economic future that we will need to craft going forward. We should be able to do this through a new compact we are going to build,” said Ramaphosa.

Elaborating further, he said the new compact would involve “all key role-players in our economy”, as well as labour and community-based organisations.
Poor statement he made.

Might be paranoia setting in but after reading a few stories about people getting in kak for cigarettes etc.....Do you guys think SAPS/SANDF can give us a hassle should we get stopped and they find our vapes/devices on us? A further search and a bottle of juice laying in the car as well.
But then again they said the sale is illegal. So if they can't prove you bought it ,it's legal.
There nothing stated about using it. Just buying it.

@Ruwaid It wouldn't surprise me. SAPS have become quite zealous in ensuring that rules are not broken. While it is not against the law to vape - only to sell it - you would need to explain that in court.

But here's the thing. We're supposed to wear a mask as soon as we leave the house. You can't vape with a mask on, so they could charge you with not wearing a mask that covers your mouth, for the few seconds that it take to inhale.

As much as it isn't illegal (as yet at least. But who knows with the way the rules keep changing), its best to be careful and not carry too much around.

It's the same as the expired drivers license story.
Technically a drivers license never expires. Only the card itself does. But try explaining that to a cop at a roadblock or during a random stop.

I have picked up juice in the past week or two. And dropped some off as well. And cotton.
Felt like quite a criminal doing it. Even though no money changed hands, just the risk factor alone and knowing one faulty cop and one aunty 'Karen' as we know the complainers of the Fourways area to be called, is all it would take to be in trouble.

Plus this happened while my missus was in the shop. Imagine if I got arrested and she came outside and I was gone. With the car keys on me. And the house keys in the car.
Too much drama.

Last edited:
As much as it isn't illegal (as yet at least. But who knows with the way the rules keep changing), its best to be careful and not carry too much around.

It's the same as the expired drivers license story.
Technically a drivers license never expires. Only the card itself does. But try explaining that to a cop at a roadblock or during a random stop.

I have picked up juice in the past week or two. And dropped some off as well. And cotton.
Felt like quite a criminal doing it. Even though no money changed hands, just the risk factor alone and knowing one faulty cop and one aunty 'Karen' as we know the complainers of the Fourways area to be called, is all it would take to be in trouble.

Plus this happened while my missus was in the shop. Imagine if I got arrested and she came outside and I was gone. With the car keys on me. And the house keys in the car.
Too much drama.
Bro., That drivers license thing. Problem...
I renewed mine but was told the waiting list for new re issues is 6-9 months meaning I had to get an extra temporary sometime within that period. Well I didn't.
Then one day on way to work ROADBLOCK. An hour later I left the roadblock:cop1:,but I had to get emails and pics sent to me in order to avoid a fine.
It was epic, it felt like mission impossible 2 scene when I drove off into the wavy road ahead.:pontiac:(no sunset, we went to work.

I renewed mine but was told the waiting list for new re issues is 6-9 months meaning I had to get an extra temporary sometime within that period. Well I didn't.
Then one day on way to work ROADBLOCK. An hour later I left the roadblock:cop1:,but I had to get emails and pics sent to me in order to avoid a fine.
It was epic, it felt like mission impossible 2 scene when I drove off into the wavy road ahead.:pontiac:(no sunset, we went to work.
Applied 3 weeks before lockdown , got a SMS on my phone to say I can collect it , but the testing station in Bedfordview is closed till further notice ,
So I drive as little as possible but got my receipt and a SMS if they give me crap.:car: [my car's wheels are turning , have you stopped to fill your tank or what ?]

Applied 3 weeks before lockdown , got a SMS on my phone to say I can collect it , but the testing station in Bedfordview is closed till further notice ,
So I drive as little as possible but got my receipt and a SMS if they give me crap.:car: [my car's wheels are turning , have you stopped to fill your tank or what ?]
No I was waiting for the guy to take the pic before we drove off on the wavy road.

I drove totally unlicensed (no learners even) for like 10 years.
Only got learners when I relocated to JHB.
Drove myself to my driving license exam.
Day after I got my license I got stopped in a roadblock outside our complex.

Cop was dumbstruck and said 'but I could swear I've seen you driving on this road like 100 times this year' (having an easily identifiable car isn't a good thing after all!)

On the getting stopped front. Been stopped so many times. Only thing that has saved me has been after I grew a beard. It seems to get assumed that I don't drink due to an assumed religion (yes, we get stereotyped and religiously classed for being Indian with a beard), but they just say 'oh you don't drink so no need to breathalyze you'. Most times they dont even ask for license anymore. Except it I have a cap on. Then it's like I'm an escape from leeuwkop and the entire car is getting searched.

Yeah I also renewed earlier this year and was unable to collect before lockdown. Will just have to carry the renewal receipt and hope for the best.
Granted the minister has extended validity of all expired licenses for the period of lockdown. But again, explaining that to a cop or sandf in a roadblock is more trouble than it's worth.

I drove totally unlicensed (no learners even) for like 10 years.
Only got learners when I relocated to JHB.
Drove myself to my driving license exam.
Day after I got my license I got stopped in a roadblock outside our complex.

Cop was dumbstruck and said 'but I could swear I've seen you driving on this road like 100 times this year' (having an easily identifiable car isn't a good thing after all!)

On the getting stopped front. Been stopped so many times. Only thing that has saved me has been after I grew a beard. It seems to get assumed that I don't drink due to an assumed religion (yes, we get stereotyped and religiously classed for being Indian with a beard), but they just say 'oh you don't drink so no need to breathalyze you'. Most times they dont even ask for license anymore. Except it I have a cap on. Then it's like I'm an escape from leeuwkop and the entire car is getting searched.

So you're the perfect designated driver.

So you're the perfect designated driver.

Yep. Tends to be the norm when we go out.
I try and be as responsible as possible though.
My last drink is always a minimum of 3 hours before we leave wherever we are. So my drunken master friends take advantage of my good behaviour lol.
I prefer to have a swig or few at home, or friends homes. A cookout or braai and an evening of cards etc is preferred to a restaurant and a bar by a long shot. Think I partied too hard when I was on campus and got bored of it after that.

Back