Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
11030.jpg

Made inquiries in to the Oxford/AZ vaccine trials, thinking I may try sign up today, only thing that puts me off is that test site is in hillbrow, I think it's near the WITS genetics labs. I'm also concerned that with my natural luck I'll get the placebo.

Durban woman is SA’s first patient to test positive for COVID-19 twice
https://www.capetownetc.com/news/durban-woman-reinfected-with-covid-19
21 July 2020

"A Durban woman has tested positive for COVID-19 twice in three months. The National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD) is monitoring the patient carefully, as this may be the first such case of its kind in South Africa.

Speaking to News24, Dr Yuvan Maharaj reported that the patient had received her first positive result on March 9. She received a negative result two weeks later, and had another positive result on July 14.

“The patient had called me in March suspecting she had picked up the virus as she had returned from a north African country and had started to exhibit flu-like symptoms,” the doctor said. “I advised her to have a test done. Two days later, her results came back and she was positive. Fortunately, she was able to self-isolate and I put her on supplements to boost her immunity and treat her symptomatically. After 14 days, she was well and I asked her to go for another test, which came back negative.”

According to Maharaj, the patient returned to worked and called him again on July 10 to say that some of her coworkers had now tested positive for COVID-19 and she was displaying symptoms once again.

“So I advised her to test again and on 14 July, I got her positive results. This is probably one of the first cases of re-infections in the country. I did not even imagine that we could have this scenario in South Africa and it worried me a bit so I contacted the NICD who are now also involved in monitoring this case,” said Maharaj.

The doctor heard of cases of reinfection occurring in Wuhan, China – the city where COVID-19 is believed to have originated – but was surprised that it had happened “so quickly” in South Africa. He advised the public to beware that reinfection is possible, and to remain calm.

“We need to have an understanding of this from a medical perspective. Basically COVID-19 is like every other germ out there. It has a protein on its surface called an antigen. When you are exposed to it, your body develops an antibody to fight antigens and develops a memory for it,” he said. “So, in future if you get exposed to the antigen again, your immune system activates and produces antibodies to fight that particular antigen and the virus is destroyed before it goes any further. Those re-infected in China are mostly asymptomatic but they are carriers and transmitting to others. It is unchartered territory and we don’t know what is going to happen here.”

According to Professor Lynn Morris, who is the interim Executive Director of the NICD, there is not yet enough information on reinfection in South Africa.

“Immunity relies on the ability of the human body to develop specific antiviral responses‚ including neutralising antibodies. Such antibodies generally develop following viral infection [and vaccination] and provide protection from reinfection,” said Morris.

As the virus is relatively new, there has not been enough time to study it fully.

“This is important to understand because COVID-19 is likely to become endemic and occur annually‚ like seasonal influenza,” she added."

SARS-CoV2 induced respiratory distress: Can cannabinoids be added to anti-viral therapies to reduce lung inflammation?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7187842/

"Collectively, these findings support the investigation of cannabinoids as a plausible option to be added as an adjunct to Remdesivir or any new antivirals on SARS-CoV2 induced lung inflammation."

That doubling rate is something to behold.

So this is anecdotal but, a mate of mine, a guy at his work was feeling "flu-ish", went home, then a week or so later they heard he was in hospital, the next day he died, they naturally inquired if he had been tested so that they could put in measures, they confirmed he did but refused to disclose the results stating that the COD was "natural causes".

Now this morning I read this "An estimated 17 090 more natural deaths than expected between 6 May and 14 July has raised concern about the accuracy of reported Covid-19 deaths."

This also ties in with that report from New York stating how many people in the test study of over 13 000 people that had antibodies. Based on that there easily could have been many deaths put down to natural causes. I predict that there will be more when the pandemic is over.

Corona virus will be with us for a long time unless an efficient vaccine can be found. Currently it causes the disease Covid 19. It will mutate, just like the common cold and we will see more Covid xxx going forward. There is now some scant evidence that your immune system does not provide 100% protection and that you can catch it again. There goes the herd immunity theory out the window.

Bullshit baffles brains

I see so many people around me and online already "Making plans for December" or next year when "This whole Corona-thing blows over". I just shake my head, ignorance is bliss.....

So this virus is not going anywhere and economies is also not going anywhere but south worldwide. So I wonder why all these smart people around the world have not come with a better solution.
What about you keep everything open for 2-3 months and let virus spread( It is spreading anyway with these half lockdowns). Then when numbers get high, you go on total lockdown for two weeks. And I mean total lockdown like in china, nothing open and no one outside, so the virus can die down a bit, and then you open up again and repeat till a cure is found. I this is policy then people know what is going on and can save and prepare for a 2 week total lockdown every few months.

This also ties in with that report from New York stating how many people in the test study of over 13 000 people that had antibodies. Based on that there easily could have been many deaths put down to natural causes. I predict that there will be more when the pandemic is over.

Corona virus will be with us for a long time unless an efficient vaccine can be found. Currently it causes the disease Covid 19. It will mutate, just like the common cold and we will see more Covid xxx going forward. There is now some scant evidence that your immune system does not provide 100% protection and that you can catch it again. There goes the herd immunity theory out the window.

Bullshit baffles brains

It will be with us regardless of a vaccine, people are having mental break downs over masks, do you think they will take a vaccine? Vaccine will also not provide 100% protection, not even the flu vaccine does. It's here to stay, in what form and what severity only the future the knows.

"Neither T cells nor B cells were measured in the new study."

Active antibodies leave in most diseases after recovery it's not efficient, your body keeps a record of pathogens in its b-cells, these antibodies tests and fear over reinfection are being a bit over blown at the moment IMO.

PCR can't measure whether a pathogen is active or not just whether it's present or not, there is no evidence yet that these people positive a month or so later aren't just full of deactivated genetic material yet to be purged, or if they fought the virus back to a degree and it re-surged due to health issues. It's the same with the antibodies, there is no evidence yet that your body wont produce new ones once it recognizes the virus again after reintroduction to the body.

Last edited:
Back