Mech Mod Yes or No

Michael the Vapor

Michael the Vapor
LV

Awards
Hi guys,

Hope you can help me out. I really want to get into the mech mod side of vaping and am looking at purchasing the Apollo Mech Mod. So what I want to know is, is it really that dangerous?

I'm a complete and utter noob when it comes to batteries ect.

Any advise what batteries, how to be safe, and what rda's will work.

Thanks fam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it, many of us started in the deep end, and we're still here.

Last edited:
Have a Maraxus mech for over a year now. I use it as my daily. Get some Sony VTCs and your sorted:)

It can be dangerous, like anything else if you do not know, what you are doing, there is a simple fix for that, read read read.
If you understand Ohms Law and how to identify the correct battery for your needs, you'll wonder why you were so nervous in the first place. ;-)

Okay cool, I really dig it! My setup is going to be (if it's the right setup)

- Apollo Mech Mod (Clone)
- Mutation XS RDA (dual 26g Fused Clapton 0.8ohm)
- Sony VTC4 battery 2500mah 3.7v

Will that be good?

Go for it, many of us started in the deep end, and were still here.
Lol Alex, that sounds more like a dare than anything else ;)

@Michael Hockey , when getting the Apollo, take note that it's a hybrid 510 adapter so there is no clearance insulating to play with. Never use any spring-loaded atty on it, and make sure that you check for proper clearance of the atty / dripper's 510 bottom pin every time you swap batteries. Sounds like a PITA, but safety first. Alway check the build in a 510 Ohm Meter, or pop it on an Electronic mod to check first.

The batteries you use will pretty much be determined by your build, but it's best to go for the VTC4 / VTC5 assuming you can still find originals.
The Samsung 25R series should also do, and so will the LG HG2 brown 'turds'.

Do a few calcs using Ohm's Law at 4.2 V and the nominal 3.7V, and you'll get an idea of the current draw for a specific build:
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ohms_law.htm

So a 0.4Ω build at 4.2V will have a current draw of 10.5A. At 3.7V, it will be at 9.25A.
Always use Mooch's rating for the batteries.. Local link is here at http://www.ecigssa.co.za/18650-battery-safety-grades-table.t14853/

Here is a nice starter tutorial at http://www.ecigssa.co.za/battery-amp-hour-watt-hour-and-c-rating-tutorial.t5534/.

Okay cool, I really dig it! My setup is going to be (if it's the right setup)

- Apollo Mech Mod (Clone)
- Mutation XS RDA (dual 26g Fused Clapton 0.8ohm)
- Sony VTC4 battery 2500mah 3.7v

Will that be good?

Just bear in mind that the Apollo is a single 18650 mech mod.

You can get the best batteries that will prevent you mod from blowing up but also consider the type of build your using.

A dual fused Clapton as a lot of wire to be heated up and you may not be impressed with the ramp up time.

I see mechs as the 'wall unit' you put a TV on. The damn electronic thing will be replaced probably 10 times, while as long as the wall unit is the style you want, it will just keep on doing it's job.

Hi guys,

Hope you can help me out. I really want to get into the mech mod side of vaping and am looking at purchasing the Apollo Mech Mod. So what I want to know is, is it really that dangerous?

Thanks fam

Hi @Michael Hockey
The other guys have given superb advice

My comments would be as follows:

Get a good ohm meter to test your coils on before you fire them. And check them with the cap on to see if the coil is touching somewhere it shouldn't. I also suggest unscrewing slightly from the ohm meter and screwing it back in and checking it again. Sometimes these little ohm meters can be a little "fidgety".

My suggestion is don't start very low in resistance.
  • When you want to go quite low, start at 0.5 ohms. At that resistance, you should not have any problems with a good battery like a Samsung Smurf or the like. Only about 8 amps being drawn.
  • Then move down slowly. At 0.4 ohms, you will be drawing about 10.5 amps. Still should be ok.
  • At 0.3 ohms, it goes up to about 14 amps.
  • At 0.2 ohms, it moves up to about 21 amps. So from this example, you can see that going from 0.3 to 0.2 ohms may not seem like much, but it actually is a big jump and could over-stress the battery. That's why checking the build on the ohm meter and knowing the continuous amp limit of your battery is very important.
  • I would suggest building in a good safety margin. So if your battery is rated at say 20 amps continuous, I would try keep it at say 15 amps or less. Better to be safe with this.

Last edited:
I agree with all the suggestions above, the only thing you need to remember is: Mechanical mods come without brains, you need to use yours.

True mechs are amazing devices and they really give a satisfying vape.

I would rather suggest using a dripper with low ohm builds on a regulated device. Get to see what it would do at 3.7v on a regulated device.

Once you don't feel like a n00b with amp draw and ohms on your built then mind to a mech mod.

I found it easier to experiment with builds on a regulated mod and then moving them to a mech.
My :2c:

I would rather suggest using a dripper with low ohm builds on a regulated device. Get to see what it would do at 3.7v on a regulated device.

Once you don't feel like a n00b with amp draw and ohms on your built then mind to a mech mod.

I found it easier to experiment with builds on a regulated mod and then moving them to a mech.
My :2c:

@Christos

It's so amazing how fast this vaping world is changing

When I started, the regulated devices were pushing out about 15 Watts max. I got the SVD and thought I had ample power. Built a 1 ohm coil on the IGO-L and it was nice. But then I saw Andre building 0.5 ohm coils on his Reo mechanical and pushing around 30 Watts and I could not believe how much that was - I also wanted to experience that.

So, the guys who wanted more power went onto mechanical devices - Nemesis - that was one of the mods that was the one to get back then. So one got a mech to experience higher power.

How times have changed - now the regulateds are capable of so much more!

I still love the vape on my Reos but just amazed at how things have changed

@Christos

It's so amazing how fast this vaping world is changing

When I started, the regulated devices were pushing out about 15 Watts max. I got the SVD and thought I had ample power. Built a 1 ohm coil on the IGO-L and it was nice. But then I saw Andre building 0.5 ohm coils on his Reo mechanical and pushing around 30 Watts and I could not believe how much that was - I also wanted to experience that.

So, the guys who wanted more power went onto mechanical devices - Nemesis - that was one of the mods that was the one to get back then. So one got a mech to experience higher power.

How times have changed - now the regulateds are capable of so much more!

I still love the vape on my Reos but just amazed at how things have changed
I agree with your sentiment but I personally think that mechs should be the ultimate goal for somebody coming full circle in their vaping journey. The power and features in today's regulated devices are ample to experiment with. Mechs are a thing of the past and in my opinion for the well experienced.
I'm not saying don't get a mech I'm just saying if you are not sure about it then rather don't get it. I use this principle with most of my shopping.

I agree with your sentiment but I personally think that mechs should be the ultimate goal for somebody coming full circle in their vaping journey. The power and features in today's regulated devices are ample to experiment with. Mechs are a thing of the past and in my opinion for the well experienced.
I'm not saying don't get a mech I'm just saying if you are not sure about it then rather don't get it. I use this principle with most of my shopping.
Let me rephrase and say mechs will appeal to a small segment of the market.

Hi guys,

Thanks fam

Just use good batrries,LG4,Samsung 25r for example and check steam engine apps if your not sure,they have tables for everthing.As much as I enjoy the technical marvels we have now have with the DNA200 and such mechs are still a great vapes.I use them almost every day as I'm sure many forum members do.Be safe but have fun with mechs.

bdebb1d4a09e6bbb61db0a42f02919df.jpg

I got it! Now I need to wait the whole day before I can use it!

Looks super @Michael Hockey
Wishing you well with it
Its so small and looks great in white
Are you waiting for the batts to charge?

Haha no everything is ready, I just have a family thing on today! @Silver

Ah ok, know what you mean when you cant wait to try something out
Will probably be more rewarding that you needed to wait
Good luck and let us know how it goes and how that first toot tastes

Back