MMA & Boxing thread

Mcgregor ftw.Way I see it Connor has nothing to lose,and Floyd has everything to lose.This is where it could get interesting,Floyd is gonna do his whole technical thing trying to score points,and Connor will have one thing on his mind,and thats what hes best at,landing those heavy hands.Little bit of a nostalgic feeling,thinking back to our own Soldierboy vs Jeremy Smith 1st fight,Soldierboy being very technical and balanced and Jeremy wanted to brawl,thats where it got interesting.So lets hope this fight happens,would like to see Floyd meet those Irish hands...

Sent from my Nokia 3310
Yep that sounds about right. Did you watch Garreth last weekend in Brazil? Wasn't an easy fight to watch. Really tough opponent who I think will soon be a big name in the sport. But as for Soldierboy, I just hope he gets another shot in the UFC.

So what happened with these fights guys?
Loved reading the comments beforehand and didnt see the fights - but am curious

@johan , @Greyz, @KB_314
There were a few smaller fights last night @Silver but the two being spoken about have yet to happen. Those could be called "super fights" in that they offer something unusual or unique between megastars:

Bisping vs GSP - in Bisping we have a tough, hard-working Brit who has been in the sport for a long long time. He won one of the earliest "Ultimate Fighter" seasons (the reality TV show featuring prospective fighters living in a house together, fighting off each week until there is one man standing at the end). As a 185 pound middleweight he always wanted the title, but few people ever thought he'd get it, especially with Anderson Silva (perhaps the greatest of all time - Muhammed Ali great) being champ through that period. But Bisping is like the little engine that could - not as much natural talent, but huge heart and works harder than most. Towards the end of his career, a turn of events found him facing a strong champion who he was not meant to beat. But he won, knocking out the big favorite in the first round (few months ago in 2016). Now he's champ, has more attitude than ever before, but with much younger & stronger bulldogs waiting in line. Scary for him, except that suddenly, the most dominant welterweight champion of all time (lighter, at 170 pounds), Georges St Pierre (GSP), one of the all time greats who has been in retirement for a couple of years, is back and he wants a second title, now at 185 pounds. His best shot at that is right now, against Bisping. If not Bisping at 185, it would have had to be Conor at 155, but he's currently occupied :) So that fight will happen no doubt, and probably in the next couple of months. GSP can become one of few to have titles in 2 different weight classes, and Bisping is seeing dollar signs (in the UFC, only belt holders get a percentage of sales in PPV events, and GSP is a name who will bring in more Pay-Per-Views than anyone else Bisping might face). Who will win? I really don't know. For me it could go either way. I see a decision though, and honestly, a slightly boring fight. But could be dead-wrong about that.

McGregor vs Mayweather, if it happens, will no doubt be the biggest fight of all time, in either Boxing or MMA. In terms of money, nothing will have come close. That fight, if/when it happens, is not one that you will be able to miss! Floyd is unbeaten in the ring, highly technical, probably the best boxer of his time, and retired. Conor is a young megastar the likes of which MMA has never seen. His confidence is there, momentum is high, and it comes from him being an incredibly gifted fighter, at any weight division. And to go with his almost un-human movement abilities and skill, he has mad power. In a cage, Mayweather wouldn't stand a chance to last more than a few seconds. In a ring though, the boxing fans reckon he will destroy Conor with his superior boxing skills. It's possible. The MMA die-hards, the majority of whom are also boxing fans or at least, were boxing fans before MMA existed, aren't so sure of that :)

Thanks @KB_314 - so interesting
Will try watch these fights if they happen. Please let us know when and where if they do happen.

Heavyweight Boxing, Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko, guys... you have to watch this fight if you haven't already. WOW. Heavyweight boxing at it's best. Honestly, historic fight.

Heavyweight Boxing, Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko, guys... you have to watch this fight if you haven't already. WOW. Heavyweight boxing at it's best. Honestly, historic fight.
Wow, I saw the highlights on YouTube. Awesome fight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miocic knocked out dos Santos in the heavyweight title fight last night. Far from the 5 round battle the last time they fought (where dS won), this was over in the first round.
The highlight for me was the undercard main fight - Poirier vs Alvarez. It was declared a no contest, but was a great fight while it lasted.

Miocic knocked out dos Santos in the heavyweight title fight last night. Far from the 5 round battle the last time they fought (where dS won), this was over in the first round.
The highlight for me was the undercard main fight - Poirier vs Alvarez. It was declared a no contest, but was a great fight while it lasted.

What juice were you vaping when this fight took place @KB_314 ?

What an event UFC211 turned out to be too! The Jedrzejczyk vs Andrade was a great example of Power vs Precision. The Champ really maintained her calm amidst the almost non-stop on slaught from Andrade. I was surprised at how hard she hit the champ and even had her stunned a few times.

I can't wait for UFC 214 when Jon Jones finally faces DC, by the looks of things and the way DC carries on, Jon Jones is is his head. I've never really seen DC get so worked out over an opponent. I guess becoz he's never actually beaten JJ to win the title instead having it bestowed upon him after it was stripped from JJ for the hit and run incident. Or maybe it's because JJ beat him by decision in UFC 182..... sour grapes maybe...

Either way DC vs JJ will be an outstanding duel between 2 Light HEavey weight greats!

What an event UFC211 turned out to be too! The Jedrzejczyk vs Andrade was a great example of Power vs Precision. The Champ really maintained her calm amidst the almost non-stop on slaught from Andrade. I was surprised at how hard she hit the champ and even had her stunned a few times.

I can't wait for UFC 214 when Jon Jones finally faces DC, by the looks of things and the way DC carries on, Jon Jones is is his head. I've never really seen DC get so worked out over an opponent. I guess becoz he's never actually beaten JJ to win the title instead having it bestowed upon him after it was stripped from JJ for the hit and run incident. Or maybe it's because JJ beat him by decision in UFC 182..... sour grapes maybe...

Either way DC vs JJ will be an outstanding duel between 2 Light HEavey weight greats!
Yeah I agree - In the first round I wasn't sure if Joanna would be able to get through the power and aggression of Andrade, but she did and it turned out to be a brilliant display of technical striking. Andrade is tough though and didn't stop moving forward until the final bell. Very impressive.

And what about Yair? He's one of the very best of the young, seriously talented prospects. But Frankie Edgar - a legend. I didn't expect such an easy and dominating fight.

Also excited for DC/JJ - he's definitely in DC's head. Lets just hope JJ makes it to the fight. If he doesn't, Manuwa will be waiting and we'll get a good fight either way. I do believe that DC will have a chance to win this time. But I wouldn't bet my house on it!

Yeah I agree - In the first round I wasn't sure if Joanna would be able to get through the power and aggression of Andrade, but she did and it turned out to be a brilliant display of technical striking. Andrade is tough though and didn't stop moving forward until the final bell. Very impressive.

And what about Yair? He's one of the very best of the young, seriously talented prospects. But Frankie Edgar - a legend. I didn't expect such an easy and dominating fight.

Also excited for DC/JJ - he's definitely in DC's head. Lets just hope JJ makes it to the fight. If he doesn't, Manuwa will be waiting and we'll get a good fight either way. I do believe that DC will have a chance to win this time. But I wouldn't bet my house on it!

I was so glad when I watched MMA Junkie and Dana was quoted as saying that Bisping and GSP won't happen because that means we will get to see Yoel. Bisping is a tank but Romero is built like an Action Figure. He's an animal in the ring and I think Bisping is in for the hardest fight of his career.

My heart bled for Yair as he was simply out gunned and out manned ans he looked like he genuinely wanted to carry on with the fight. I think it was best they called it off as his eye was bad and he taking more damage every time he was taken down.

Bring on Fox 25 - my body is ready

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I was so glad when I watched MMA Junkie and Dana was quoted as saying that Bisping and GSP won't happen because that means we will get to see Yoel. Bisping is a tank but Romero is built like an Action Figure. He's an animal in the ring and I think Bisping is in for the hardest fight of his career.

My heart bled for Yair as he was simply out gunned and out manned ans he looked like he genuinely wanted to carry on with the fight. I think it was best they called it off as his eye was bad and he taking more damage every time he was taken down.

Bring on Fox 25 - my body is ready

I like Bisping, but imo he's gonna get mauled :eek:
Think he was planning on a win against GSP and then retirement. Now he has to face He-Man!

I like Bisping, but imo he's gonna get mauled :eek:
Think he was planning on a win against GSP and then retirement. Now he has to face He-Man!
Yeah Bisping ain't gonna win this one, if he does hats off to him because York Romero will be no push over.
In saying that too I seen Bisping win fights where I thought for sure he's going to lose. He's come out on top winning but looking like his opponent been chewing on his face its so messed up....

Max Holloway stopped Aldo in the third to take the belt from the long-time champion. My money would have been on Max, although it looked like Aldo was about to end it in the first round. Overall, the event in Brazil was fairly average as far as PPV's go.
A few fights coming up in the not-too-distant future are Cormier vs Jones, Fedor vs Mitrione (Bellator), Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlai Silva (Bellator, and finally!).
In other MMA news, Rory Macdonald's debut in Bellator went well for him - he TKO'd Paul Daley who is no slouch. I'd like to see him get the belt and then fight Michael Paige. When is that guy going to go to the UFC?! Thats about all that comes to mind. I'm sure I'm forgetting a big fight though.

Max Holloway stopped Aldo in the third to take the belt from the long-time champion. My money would have been on Max, although it looked like Aldo was about to end it in the first round. Overall, the event in Brazil was fairly average as far as PPV's go.
A few fights coming up in the not-too-distant future are Cormier vs Jones, Fedor vs Mitrione (Bellator), Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlai Silva (Bellator, and finally!).
In other MMA news, Rory Macdonald's debut in Bellator went well for him - he TKO'd Paul Daley who is no slouch. I'd like to see him get the belt and then fight Michael Paige. When is that guy going to go to the UFC?! Thats about all that comes to mind. I'm sure I'm forgetting a big fight though.
Cant wait for the return of bones

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

So it looks like we may see a super fight after all.
August 26 at the MGM has been booked by Mayweather Promotions after the UFC lost a September date at Madison Square Gardens. It will be on Showtime (PPV no doubt). That's what we know. No confirmation that it's Mayweather vs McGregor, but that would be the most reasonable guess.

I'm not sure why there is such unshakeable belief in Conor. Isn't this the guy who couldn't take Nate's punches first time around? Not dissing Nate but he's hardly a legend in the fight game.

It seems to me that MMA is the sporting world's biggest hype train. First we heard that Brock Lesnar is "the baddest mofo on the planet". Alastair Overeem stopped him with one body kick. And Overeem was subsequently stopped easily himself by other fighters. Then we heard that Ronda Rousey is not only "the baddest mofo on the planet" but the world's most unbeatable fighter in any combat format. Not only was she going to pulverize Mayweather into a bloody heap, she'd have beaten Ali one-handed in his prime, and could even take on Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris simultaneously while blindfolded. Well, she lasted a grand total of 48 seconds against Amanda Nunes. Is this "the most dominant fighter ever in the history of combat sports"?? Really? Seriously? Sounds more like a nine day wonder to me.

Conor is undoubtedly a tough and skilled fighter and a great striker. But I'm not sure he's worth the hype that is put out around him. Still, kudos to him for marketing himself well and cashing in. He knows fighters don't have long at the top so he's making the most of it.

I'm not sure why there is such unshakeable belief in Conor. Isn't this the guy who couldn't take Nate's punches first time around? Not dissing Nate but he's hardly a legend in the fight game.

It seems to me that MMA is the sporting world's biggest hype train. First we heard that Brock Lesnar is "the baddest mofo on the planet". Alastair Overeem stopped him with one body kick. And Overeem was subsequently stopped easily himself by other fighters. Then we heard that Ronda Rousey is not only "the baddest mofo on the planet" but the world's most unbeatable fighter in any combat format. Not only was she going to pulverize Mayweather into a bloody heap, she'd have beaten Ali one-handed in his prime, and could even take on Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris simultaneously while blindfolded. Well, she lasted a grand total of 48 seconds against Amanda Nunes. Is this "the most dominant fighter ever in the history of combat sports"?? Really? Seriously? Sounds more like a nine day wonder to me.

Conor is undoubtedly a tough and skilled fighter and a great striker. But I'm not sure he's worth the hype that is put out around him. Still, kudos to him for marketing himself well and cashing in. He knows fighters don't have long at the top so he's making the most of it.
You must remember that when he fought nate the first time he was preparing for a lightweight fight which was fought at welterweight. 2nd time around at welterweight again. Conor is definitely not some one who can fight at welterweight and moving up weight classes is definitely a difficult thing to do. So he definitely deserves se credit for what he has achieved in the ufc. My biggest criticism of conor is he is yet to defend a title. Winning the title is one thing defending it when you have everything to lose is another level. As for conor stepping in the boxing ring with no amateur or pro boxing fights, to fight floyd of all people. He will get picked apart by floyd

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Back