Mod restoration

Okay, so my impatience got the better of me. Soaked it in Duram again, but the almost white undercoat laughed at it. So I grabbed my Tork Craft "Dremel" and set to work. Used up a few brushes (luckily they only range from like R10 to R15 a piece). Now I only have one or two small spots in obscure places where it will only bother me, lol, that will be soaked in Duram overnight. The damn buttons was the hardest to do and a have a few sore fingers for my troubles. Anyway, this is the state she is in now. Now I just need to find that elusive 510. The one I got in a pif is too big and the other's spring gave out, so it's stuck in the bottom position. Got the whole Hohm Slice mod with it though, also with paint chipped and sanded etc. Needs a little more TLC than mine, but if I can find two 510's I'd then have 3 Hohm Slice mods instead of only two. But I digress, here is my handy work for tonight.....

View attachment 240690 View attachment 240691 View attachment 240692 View attachment 240693 View attachment 240694 View attachment 240695 View attachment 240696 View attachment 240697 View attachment 240698
Now you're cooking with gas!

I have considered buffing it, but then it's a fingerprint magnet and its a bit hard to get an even shine throughout, and my OCD would want the insides to be just as buffed as outside... I do have a 3rd Hohm Slibe to play with now however, so who knows what I'll do with that one. Maybe paint the insides a d buff up the outside. Thanks for the compliment by the way... Appreciate it
You'll only get an even shine with a big buffing wheel. Remove swirlmarks and compounds with alcohol. Also nothing wrong with using methylated spirits.(straight or watered down)
But I must say I'm liking it alot as is. Maybe just a decent clear coat is needed.
There I go again. It's your mod you decide.
Well done and awesome work. The more you do these types of things the better you'll get and the more tips you'll get from previous processing.
Next step due in the morning! :D:D:D

Just washed off the Duram it sat with since last night with some dishwashing liquid and gave it a good brush again. Still one litte space i can't get into to remove a very very small speck of red. Barely visible though. I have a brush for the pencil grinder that fits perfectly, but can't get the angle right, so it will have to stay I guess. Will take a pic at a later stage just before I give it it's new paint job. I did give some thought to keeping it bare metal and just buffing it up but decided to go ahead with painting it. Just need to wait until I find a 510 that works, in case I need to drill the opening a tad bigger. Currently submerged in acetone again, mostly to make sure all the Duram and dishwashing liquid is off.

My biggest challenge is going to be to get the surface ready and uniform for the primer. The outsides are easy to do with the Scotchbrite pads, but the inside area will be very difficult to reach and won't be able to use the pencil grinder again. A tad bit worried that the brushes has made the surface too smooth, so it will require some more thought. Maybe someone following here can give some advice.
I do think I will make at least one of the three a bare metal polished finish. If only I could find the right 510 connections. Already worried about getting out the black one's without incident.
Dip in vinegar for half hour then rinse and dry. No need to worry about paint not sticking after that.

If you don't come right with three of the same 510 connectors, you could bring in a few of these from the UK ;);
https://www.modmaker.com/fdv-510-connectors/fat-daddy-vapes-510-v3-short

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, but trying my best to keep the costs down so it's still worth the value of the mod. 26650's are already scarce, so I don't know exactly how long these mods will still last or be able to be kept in service. Still hoping to get something locally. Will check the website though. Just think shipping and possible import tax could be a killer

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, but trying my best to keep the costs down so it's still worth the value of the mod. 26650's are already scarce, so I don't know exactly how long these mods will still last or be able to be kept in service. Still hoping to get something locally. Will check the website though. Just think shipping and possible import tax could be a killer

I appreciate your wanting to keep costs down, and ... you're customising, personalising, improving, and making something very unique, so neither real nor intrinsic value plays a part in what you've now created ... namely a one off collectible that I highly doubt you'd ever get rid of ;)
As to your 26650's ... I have a few rechargeable tools and a couple of diving torches that use them, and have yet to have a problem sourcing them ... try these guys; https://www.electromannsa.com/search?q=26650

upload_2021-10-5_14-52-20.png

maybe some of the local mod-makers see something they need and you can start up a GB for it... there are some other items on the site people might be interested in...

I appreciate your wanting to keep costs down, and ... you're customising, personalising, improving, and making something very unique, so neither real nor intrinsic value plays a part in what you've now created ... namely a one off collectible that I highly doubt you'd ever get rid of ;)
As to your 26650's ... I have a few rechargeable tools and a couple of diving torches that use them, and have yet to have a problem sourcing them ... try these guys; https://www.electromannsa.com/search?q=26650

True. Won't get rid of it, and I'm a bit excited to finish it so I can start on the next two... Hence my extreme impatience with finding a 510. It would be super cool if all three mods were identical though, as far as parts goes I mean. I have a suspicion that the one that won't be dedicated to a Zeus might get polished up. I know someone from the reptile world that might be able to do some laser etching on it. Would be really cool to have a unique Viper mod to flaunt. Only problem I can see with a group buy is that I suck at organisation and the like. Also, I see some of their 510's have drawings attached, but it's been a good 25 years since I really used my Technical Drawing skills, lol, so it's got me a little baffled. It's a long way to import something and then find it's not a 100% the right fit. Right now I'm kind of stuck with the project. I can prep it for painting, but until I know if I'll need to drill out the hole a bit or something similar, I can really proceed with the painting part. A bit frustrating to be honest. Might sort out all the spares into little boxes and start removing all the paint on the other two. I have enough mods to keep these out of rotation for a bit, but it still makes me impatient that I won't be able to finish them all.

If I had the right tools and more patience, I might have done this jewelling effect, mut I tried it on a rifle slot once and my equipment isn't really precise enough and it's not as easy as tutorials make it look

images (26).jpeg

If I had the right tools and more patience, I might have done this jewelling effect, mut I tried it on a rifle slot once and my equipment isn't really precise enough and it's not as easy as tutorials make it look

View attachment 240824
This finish is easy to do ... buffing compound and a wood dowel in a drill press, (or go old school with old dirty engine oil and a dowel in a drill press). I'll have a lookie see if I can dig out a pic of my old MGA ... I did it's dashboard like that ... mild steel, and it never rusted! :)

True. Won't get rid of it, and I'm a bit excited to finish it so I can start on the next two... Hence my extreme impatience with finding a 510. It would be super cool if all three mods were identical though, as far as parts goes I mean. I have a suspicion that the one that won't be dedicated to a Zeus might get polished up. I know someone from the reptile world that might be able to do some laser etching on it. Would be really cool to have a unique Viper mod to flaunt. Only problem I can see with a group buy is that I suck at organisation and the like. Also, I see some of their 510's have drawings attached, but it's been a good 25 years since I really used my Technical Drawing skills, lol, so it's got me a little baffled. It's a long way to import something and then find it's not a 100% the right fit. Right now I'm kind of stuck with the project. I can prep it for painting, but until I know if I'll need to drill out the hole a bit or something similar, I can really proceed with the painting part. A bit frustrating to be honest. Might sort out all the spares into little boxes and start removing all the paint on the other two. I have enough mods to keep these out of rotation for a bit, but it still makes me impatient that I won't be able to finish them all.

I get that you'd like them as close as possible to identical, and thankfully I dealt with my OCD and would settle for subtle differences like the 510 connector, buuuuut ... you now have a solution if you do want them the same, speaking of which, the link I posted was of a 510 close as dammit to your existing one to help with your decision making ;)
In the meantime ... why not trim down that large 510 adapter you managed to get so that it just fits into the cutout on your mod, and see what it looks like ... pop it into a drill, (a makeshift lathe), and use a file on the outer edge ... my guess is that you'll like the flush mounted 510 when you see it ... you could even taper the edge down to suit the mod top surface ;)
I can't offer any suggestions on a group buy as I've never been party to one, however I'm sure it's as simple as consolidating everyone's orders, along with the other costs, (shipping / duties) and apportioning it? ... I'm sure someone of the forum that has done it can offer suggestions?
Finally ... as to laser etching ... I like what you're thinking, only that I would then keep it as a fingerprint magnet ... raw steel ... yummy!

View attachment 240824
Drill press and a brass wire brush and you have that finish.
Another way to achieve it is round cut Scotch Brite on one of the Dremel attachments with diameter of choice. (Glued in place) . The drill press is only for consistency not necessity.

Last edited:
I get that you'd like them as close as possible to identical, and thankfully I dealt with my OCD and would settle for subtle differences like the 510 connector, buuuuut ... you now have a solution if you do want them the same, speaking of which, the link I posted was of a 510 close as dammit to your existing one to help with your decision making ;)
In the meantime ... why not trim down that large 510 adapter you managed to get so that it just fits into the cutout on your mod, and see what it looks like ... pop it into a drill, (a makeshift lathe), and use a file on the outer edge ... my guess is that you'll like the flush mounted 510 when you see it ... you could even taper the edge down to suit the mod top surface ;)
I can't offer any suggestions on a group buy as I've never been party to one, however I'm sure it's as simple as consolidating everyone's orders, along with the other costs, (shipping / duties) and apportioning it? ... I'm sure someone of the forum that has done it can offer suggestions?
Finally ... as to laser etching ... I like what you're thinking, only that I would then keep it as a fingerprint magnet ... raw steel ... yummy!

Only real issue with that big 510 is that it's threaded diameter is much larger than the diameter on the mod, and it might be touching the back of the board and short something out. If I do get the right size then it would mean I already have a huge hole in the mod. Think I'm going to hang on and see what jumps out... Feeling hopeful.

Only real issue with that big 510 is that it's threaded diameter is much larger than the diameter on the mod, and it might be touching the back of the board and short something out. If I do get the right size then it would mean I already have a huge hole in the mod. Think I'm going to hang on and see what jumps out... Feeling hopeful.
Circlip Boet! Try getting one that fits snug. It should be easy to find at a Midas or autozone.
Then again if you don't want to drill it out. Do what your gut tells you and wait.

Measure, measure, measure, and then for good measure ... measure again ;)

I do agree with Resistance if your gut, (not your ocd), saying wait ... then wait! :)

My gut says to wait... But damn, I never thought it would be this difficult to source a 510 that's in good condition and fits. Still feel like an ass for breaking mine.

My gut says to wait... But damn, I never thought it would be this difficult to source a 510 that's in good condition and fits. Still feel like an ass for breaking mine.

Don't stress about breaking the 510 adapter ... sh## happens, and ... hang in there ... reassemble that mod loosely, (only because it keeps all the parts together and in one place), and put it in your bottom drawer for now. With Covid, I've been forced to do it a number of times of recent :(, as when the part(s) become available ... continue on, alternatively;
Chase up eCigInn that used to stock em', and see if and when they're getting any more in, also;
Phone / mail / visit some of the vape shops nearby you that may have a broken mod that you can strip, or;
Reconsider importing a few from that site I told you about?
There are a couple more alternatives / suggestions;
Do you have the piece that broke off your 510? ... as you could try solder / silver solder it back on :think:, or;
Get hold of one of the "podmod to 510 adapters", and strip out the 510 adapter, or;
Send that buggered one to me as a last resort, and I'll make up a new outer shell for it, (this would assume that none of the other options were successful, and that you have what is the last 510 adapter on Planet Earth) ... mind you;
Were you not given a faulty complete mod that could have it's 510 adapter outer shell "harvested"?

Chase up eCigInn that used to stock em', and see if and when they're getting any more in

I did receive one of the exact one from @Faiyaz Cheulkar, but it is too long and will make contact with the board.

Reconsider importing a few from that site I told you about?

This will be my last resort...

Do you have the piece that broke off your 510? ... as you could try solder / silver solder it back on

Unfortunately no, it is somewhere in never-never land in my garage....
Send that buggered one to me as a last resort, and I'll make up a new outer shell for it

Thanks, will keep this option in mind

Were you not given a faulty complete mod that could have it's 510 adapter outer shell "harvested"?

I did receive a mod from @Caramia yes, but when I popped a battery in there the mod worked perfectly, so my plan is to rather make that one a bare metal, polished version. Can't bring myself to strip a perfectly working mod for a spare and the 510 is a bit hinky on that one. every now and then the pin stays at the bottom and doesn't push back up. So different attys doesn't always make contact because it seems the springloaded part isn't 100%, hence me looking for more than one 510.

I did receive one of the exact one from @Faiyaz Cheulkar, but it is too long and will make contact with the board.

This will be my last resort...

Unfortunately no, it is somewhere in never-never land in my garage....

Thanks, will keep this option in mind

I did receive a mod from @Caramia yes, but when I popped a battery in there the mod worked perfectly, so my plan is to rather make that one a bare metal, polished version. Can't bring myself to strip a perfectly working mod for a spare and the 510 is a bit hinky on that one. every now and then the pin stays at the bottom and doesn't push back up. So different attys doesn't always make contact because it seems the springloaded part isn't 100%, hence me looking for more than one 510.

Sounds like you've thought through all your options, bar maybe one more ...
Can that 510 adapter you received from Faiyaz Cheulkar not be shortened sufficiently? ... I realise it's slightly larger in diameter, however that too could be trimmed easily enough ;), (I am biased on this option, as being slightly larger in diameter, in my opinion it works in your favour, as it would fill the mod's 510 cavity fully and look better than the original ), and ... being the more commonly available one, (under normal? circumstances), could be replicated to the other two mods and keep them all looking the same as you've indicated you would prefer.

Sounds like you've thought through all your options, bar maybe one more ...
Can that 510 adapter you received from Faiyaz Cheulkar not be shortened sufficiently? ... I realise it's slightly larger in diameter, however that too could be trimmed easily enough ;), (I am biased on this option, as being slightly larger in diameter, in my opinion it works in your favour, as it would fill the mod's 510 cavity fully and look better than the original ), and ... being the more commonly available one, (under normal? circumstances), could be replicated to the other two mods and keep them all looking the same as you've indicated you would prefer.

I don't mind the top plate being a larger diameter, but the part with the thread is also significantly bigger and it was already a tight squeeze in there.

The problem is with the SA vendors.

For years I have been saying that all vendors should have stock of a comprehensive collection of deck screws and o-rings.

This should also include parts such as 510s.

I have given the costs before. For the cost of a mod, they could have all the stock we need.

It is clearly done to prevent people from repairing their own attys and mods.

Their attitude is clearly that, if I stock a R30 510 connector I lose the sale of a new mod. If I stock a 25c screw I lose the sale of a R600 RTA.

Back