Nicotine Supplier

One question though, my bottles are marked 18mg, does that mean 18mg per 10ml then? Should this not rather be marked 1.8mg/ml or as a percentage so that the nicotine content is clear to everybody?

Nicotine in e-liquid is measured at mg/ml, but the /ml part is dropped when printed, mainly because it's shorter, and most e-liquid labels don't have a lot of space. If your bottle says 18mg, then it's 18mg/ml, not 18mg total.

Some companies do use different ways to mark their nic level, most common of those is %, where 1% = 10mg/ml. Another one that is mainly used by Twisp is mg/drop, which equates to around 1/20 of a milliliter, so 0.9mg/drop = 18mg/ml

Source: @Silver

Ok so that means 18mg is 1.8% and not 1.8mg as per @Derick 's post above.

So my calculation was also wrong and should read:
At 18mg per ml, a 30ml bottle will contain 540mg which is at the bottom end of a probable lethal dose for an adult.

As
Ok so that means 18mg is 1.8% and not 1.8mg as per @Derick 's post above.

So my calculation was also wrong and should read:
At 18mg per ml, a 30ml bottle will contain 540mg which is at the bottom end of a probable lethal dose for an adult.
far as I know, yes. The pro's like @Silver and @Matthee will have to confirm though

As you all know I am a professional eliquid producer so I have the knowledge and experience of handling nicotine. So let's do some chemistry to clarify things.

Fact: I Kg of pure nicotine = 1,15 lt = 1150 ml

So, if we say 18 mg/ml that means the content of nicotine in 1 ml is 18 mg. (This is called in chemistry terms measurement by weight).

if we say 1.8% that means in 1 ml the nicotine content is 0,18 ml. (this is called measurement by volume). The equivalent of this is 15,65 mg/ml.

In my opinion the first method (by weight) is the best since it is much easier for the consumer to calculate how much nicotine he/ she is consuming every day.

The later method is used from various producers just to confuse the consumers (in my opinion always) since most people think that 18mg/ml is the same as the 1,8%. But the fact is that retailers that are selling 1.8% nicotine compaired to the retailers that sell 18 mg/ml are having 15% more profit.

Sorry yes, you are correct, math was never my strong subject

As for the mg vs % markings - initially people marked in mg because that is what smokers know, but when it comes to liquid, you are 'supposed' to mark in percentage - like you do with alcohol.

There is no 'law' to do either one, we just prefer the % marking

Recent evidence shows that the probable lethal limit of nicotine is much higher than originally thought, in the region of 500mg - 1000mg or LD 50 of 6.5 - 13 mg/kg estimated.
Like a lot of numbers in 'modern' science the original figure was guesstimated more than a century ago and never verified thereafter.
See:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00204-013-1127-0??

Whilst 1000mg of nicotine may sound like a high number it amounts to very, very little. If you are lucky enough to source pure nicotine, have it delivered to and cut by a lab like @Derick does, please!

At 1.8mg per ml, a 30ml bottle will contain 54mg or one 1/10th of the bottom lethal level.

A BIG THANKS to the liquid suppliers who put child proof caps on their products. Always better to be safe than sorry.
One question though, my bottles are marked 18mg, does that mean 18mg per 10ml then? Should this not rather be marked 1.8mg/ml or as a percentage so that the nicotine content is clear to everybody?

Yes you are correct here - the initial nicotine tests that the LD50 is based on, were not very scientifically done - so we are not 100% certain how poisonous it is, an nobody really wants to test poisonous substances on humans - and different animals have different tolerances, so you can't really infer how poisonous it is to humans by doing tests on rats or other animals.

But as an interesting note - there were more poisonings reported to the CDC last year from toothpaste than there were from nicotine

Hi there. First time on this forum and a new vaper. Got into DIY but have a question. I am battling to find 36% flavourless nicotine. Which of these are the nicest: SkyBlue, UlimateVape, Blue Cloud, Valley Vapour or E-Ciggies? I just wanna share an incredible supplier of flavours in Randburg called Creative Flavours.

I must admit, I'm having trouble understanding this - can you explain how you get 15.65 mg/ml?

Ok, this is really bugging me, so here are my calculations - like I said, math is not my strong point, so please correct me if I am wrong:

Nicotine has a density of 1.01g /ml (source) or 1010mg/ml

So 1kg would be 1010 ml (dunno how you get 1150)

So let's say I take 98.2ml PG and add 1.8ml nicotine = 100ml solution containing 1.8ml nicotine or an 1.8% nicotine solution

1.8ml nicotine works out to 1.8 x 1010 = 1818 mg of nicotine in this 100ml sollution

which works out to 18.18 mg/ml

where do you get 15.65?

I also have it that 1.8 % equals 18 mg per ml. Do prefer the 18 mg notation as that is what is most commonly used in the vaping world.

@theturtle go to your profile, click on "conversation", clik on "Start a new Conversation" and add "Oupa" in "participants"

Thanks. Tell me how do I pm him if I want

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Below your Avatar and name "Start a Conversation". Click on that. Then fill in "Oupa", a title and you message and send. Ah, @johan beat me to it.

18ml means 18 Milli liters per 1000 Milli liters ( per liter) basically this means there is 1.8% of nicotine in a litre of e-juice.
The next question is 1.8mg calculated by weight per kilo or weight of volume (per liter), if its weight of volume then there is less that 1.8mg per kilogram of e-juice and more than 18ml per liter.

I hope this clears things up a bit. :tmi:

?what each of you is saying makes sense, but in many different versions, and this is confusing the crap out of me

the resellers of nicotine should be able to give us definite answers on this

Could someone please re-state the question? Not sure if I'm answering the right question but if it's the difference between percentage and mg then it's something simple that is being over complicated. I have rounded off the values for easier understanding.

A bottle labeled 18mg will be the same as 1.8%.
Pure nicotine is 1000mg/ml
18mg/ml is 1.8% of 1000mg/ml

if you have a 30ml bottle of 36mg nicotine, does that mean that 1ml = 3.6mg nicotine?

Back