daniel craig

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
After a huge success with the Engine RTA, OBS has released a single coil Nano version of the RTA to compete in the single coil market. Although it’s a ‘Nano’, don’t let its name mislead you! OBS has incorporated a lot of the same great features of their standard model onto their Nano version with a few small changes. The Nano features a single-coil build deck instead of the original Velocity deck and an improved airflow system to improve flavor. Can this RTA compete against the other great single coil RTA’s or is this just another rushed product? Let’s find out.
Engine2.jpg

Here are the specs of the RTA:

· Size: 25*54.5mm
· Weight: 52g
· E-liquid Capacity: 5.3ml
· Material: 304-Stainless
· Top airflow system
· Patented top side filling design
· Endurance and big e-liquid capacity
· Precise design of air circulation system
· Accurate locating Bar and Slot design to perfect align your airflow
· Leak-proof

engine5.jpg

What’s in the box:

· 1 x Engine NANO
· 1 x Spare glass
· 1 x RTA Accessory series bag

engine4.jpg

Packaging:
The OBS Engine Nano comes packaged the same as any other of their products. Inside the box you get your Engine Nano, an Allen key, a spare glass, user manual and spares. At first I expected this Nano version to be smaller than the Engine (standard model) but instead, it is actually the same size as the original and holds a tad bit more juice than the standard model.

Design:
Visually, the Nano and the Standard model is identical besides for a small engraving of the word “Nano” on the chimney section. The previous engine, had gained recognition for its top-airflow only option which prevented leaking completely. The same system has been implemented with this RTA with a few minor tweaks done to improve flavor. This RTA really is a beauty, especially in black. It has a 25mm diameter and holds up to 5.3ml of juice. It’s definitely on the big/bulky side but nowadays with exotic coils becoming the norm, it may be a pro to you. The build quality of this RTA is fantastic! The machining is excellent and the threads are nice and smooth.

Engine1.jpg

Building and Wicking:
Setting up the OBS Engine Nano is very easy. The Engine Nano deck has a simple two post design. The posts are very close together and the post holes are ‘staggered’, making it easier to insert your coils. This tank is a breeze to build on and doesn’t require much/any experience.

The most important thing when it comes to this RTA is the wicking. The bottom of the build deck has two large wicking slots that lead directly into the juice well of the tank so you have to make sure that the cotton goes through these holes to reach the e-liquid. Your cotton should be thick enough to prevent flooding which will result in spit back, but not too thick to prevent e-liquid from saturating the wicks. That said, wicking this tank is also an easy task.

Like its predecessor, the Engine Nano features a ‘notch’ system that requires the base and the tank to be perfectly aligned in order to assemble it together. So make sure that the two little notches on the inner barrel of the tank are aligned with the two grooves on the bottom of the build deck and that the bigger airflow hole faces the front of the coil, when putting the tank together.

In the standard model of this tank, the air hits the coils from above, coming through two slots on the top of the chimney. With the Nano, they are positioned on the sides of the chimney section, to improve flavour. IMO Flavor could have been a tad better if they removed the airflow that hits the coil from behind.

engine3.jpg

Refilling:
If you have used any of the side fill OBS tanks you would know how easy it is to fill. The fill ports on this RTA is massive so you won’t be having any issues with big droppers or anything like that.

Performance:
After using this RTA exclusively for about +-2 weeks, there's a couple of things I have noticed. The lack of bottom airflow means you don’t have to worry about leaking, but also that any flooding in the chamber due to incorrect wicking will result in spit back so its very important that you wick this RTA correctly.

Using the Clapton coil they include with the RTA, the performance has been excellent even at 40w. The flavor it produces is great and the vapour production is excellent. For a single coil RTA, I am definitely impressed with the vapour production. This RTA has more airflow than I am used to so I do close up the airflow a bit as I like a nice restrictive lung hit. This is definitely not a MTL style RTA at all and has a lot of airflow.

Pro’s:

· Great flavor
· Great vapour production
· Easy to build and wick
· Extremely user friendly build deck
· Excellent build quality
· Leak-proof
· Lots of airflow

Cons:

· May get spit back if wicking is incorrect
· *Too much airflow* (Subjective)
· *Somewhat noisier than other RTA’s*

OBS Engine.jpg

If you guys have any questions regarding this RTA, feel free to ask ;-)

Last edited:
After a huge success with the Engine RTA, OBS has released a single coil Nano version of the RTA to compete in the single coil market. Although it’s a ‘Nano’, don’t let its name mislead you! OBS has incorporated a lot of the same great features of their standard model onto their Nano version with a few small changes. The Nano features a single-coil build deck instead of the original Velocity deck and an improved airflow system to improve flavor. Can this RTA compete against the other great single coil RTA’s or is this just another rushed product? Let’s find out.
View attachment 87941

· Top airflow system
· Leak-proof

View attachment 87942

What’s in the box:

· 1 x Engine NANO
· 1 x Spare glass

View attachment 87943

Packaging:
The OBS Engine Nano comes packaged the same as any other of their products. Inside the box you get your Engine Nano, an Allen key, a spare glass, user manual and spares. At first I expected this Nano version to be smaller than the Engine (standard model) but instead, it is actually the same size as the original and holds a tad bit more juice than the standard model.

Design:
Visually, the Nano and the Standard model is identical besides for a small engraving of the word “Nano” on the chimney section. The previous engine, had gained recognition for its top-airflow only option which prevented leaking completely. The same system has been implemented with this RTA with a few minor tweaks done to improve flavor. This RTA really is a beauty, especially in black. It has a 25mm diameter and holds up to 5.3ml of juice. It’s definitely on the big/bulky side but nowadays with exotic coils becoming the norm, it may be a pro to you. The build quality of this RTA is fantastic! The machining is excellent and the threads are nice and smooth.

View attachment 87944

Building and Wicking:
Setting up the OBS Engine Nano is very easy. The Engine Nano deck has a simple two post design. The posts are very close together and the post holes are ‘staggered’, making it easier to insert your coils. This tank is a breeze to build on and doesn’t require much/any experience.

The most important thing when it comes to this RTA is the wicking. The bottom of the build deck has two large wicking slots that lead directly into the juice well of the tank so you have to make sure that the cotton goes through these holes to reach the e-liquid. Your cotton should be thick enough to prevent flooding which will result in spit back, but not too thick to prevent e-liquid from saturating the wicks. That said, wicking this tank is also an easy task.

Like its predecessor, the Engine Nano features a ‘notch’ system that requires the base and the tank to be perfectly aligned in order to assemble it together. So make sure that the two little notches on the inner barrel of the tank are aligned with the two grooves on the bottom of the build deck and that the bigger airflow hole faces the front of the coil, when putting the tank together.

In the standard model of this tank, the air hits the coils from above, coming through two slots on the top of the chimney. With the Nano, they are positioned on the sides of the chimney section, to improve flavour. IMO Flavor could have been a tad better if they removed the airflow that hits the coil from behind.

View attachment 87946

Refilling:
If you have used any of the side fill OBS tanks you would know how easy it is to fill. The fill ports on this RTA is massive so you won’t be having any issues with big droppers or anything like that.

Performance:
After using this RTA exclusively for about +-2 weeks, there's a couple of things I have noticed. The lack of bottom airflow means you don’t have to worry about leaking, but also that any flooding in the chamber due to incorrect wicking will result in spit back so its very important that you wick this RTA correctly.

Using the Clapton coil they include with the RTA, the performance has been excellent even at 40w. The flavor it produces is great and the vapour production is excellent. For a single coil RTA, I am definitely impressed with the vapour production. This RTA has more airflow than I am used to so I do close up the airflow a bit as I like a nice restrictive lung hit. This is definitely not a MTL style RTA at all and has a lot of airflow.

Pro’s:

· Great flavor
· Easy to build and wick
· Leak-proof
· Lots of airflow

Cons:

View attachment 87947

I haven't seen this RTA available locally so I ended up getting mine from Heaven Gifts and opted for the DHL shipping. The shipping was really quick!! It took about +-4 days to get to me :grinning:

Good job Dan, I definitely want this one. I rate it's big brother the best in class for 2016 and if the tank's half as good it is a winner.Love the fact that it is a single coil.

I got mine from China as well, and could not agree more on all your pro's and cons!

LOVELY tank!

Airflow will smack you upside the head!

One con I think you left out ... This thing sucks juice like a V12 Turbo, running at FULL speed all the time!

I am floored with how quickly I go through a tank. About 30 mins to clear out 5.3ml's!

LOVE the tank overall, and it has already become the 1st tank I grab when I go out!

I got mine from China as well, and could not agree more on all your pro's and cons!

LOVELY tank!

Airflow will smack you upside the head!

One con I think you left out ... This thing sucks juice like a V12 Turbo, running at FULL speed all the time!

I am floored with how quickly I go through a tank. About 30 mins to clear out 5.3ml's!

LOVE the tank overall, and it has already become the 1st tank I grab when I go out!
I agree with that con. This thing is by no means economic it's named the engine and its it's named rightfully so.

View attachment 87941

· Top airflow system
· Leak-proof

View attachment 87942

What’s in the box:

· 1 x Engine NANO
· 1 x Spare glass

View attachment 87943

Packaging:

Design:

View attachment 87944

Building and Wicking:

View attachment 87946

Refilling:

Performance:

Pro’s:

· Great flavor
· Easy to build and wick
· Leak-proof
· Lots of airflow

Cons:

View attachment 87947

I haven't seen this RTA available locally so I ended up getting mine from Heaven Gifts and opted for the DHL shipping. The shipping was really quick!! It took about +-4 days to get to me :grinning:

Excellent review @daniel craig. Now I am even more convinced this is a must have addition to my collection. Thanks. Been an OBS fan since the Crius days.

Just one question, could you post a picture of the inside of the atomiser chamber so one can get an understanding of the airflow you described? I am trying to picture it mentally but can not get my head around it.

Thanks again for the great review!

Regards

Excellent review @daniel craig. Now I am even more convinced this is a must have addition to my collection. Thanks. Been an OBS fan since the Crius days.

Just one question, could you post a picture of the inside of the atomiser chamber so one can get an understanding of the airflow you described? I am trying to picture it mentally but can not get my head around it.

Thanks again for the great review!

Regards
The Crius was also a favourite of mine which I've used for a very long time. The Engine Nano really is a nice single coil RTA. From the build quality to the overall performance it works well. That said, the Merlin Mini still my favourite in flavor but due to its 2ml capacity, I find myself using this Engine Nano more because while flavor isn't as good as the Merlin Mini, it isn't too bad or far from what I expect. You will definitely not be disappointed with this RTA.

I will post a picture of the chamber section just now. For visual reference, inside of the chamber you'll see 2 notches like in the Engine which is there to click into place and perfectly align the airflow. You will also notice a big 'Rectangle' on the front side which is you airflow and faces the front of your coil (The part you see). Directly opposite this airflow, there's a smaller hole which hits the coil from the back (behind the post). I'll take a picture shortly to give you a better understanding of how this whole system works.

e820600b383a9c774acbb494d271329d.jpg

@Raindance This is a pic I have found on the web. You can see the airflow a little (The circled area). I will upload a better a picture of it soon so that you can see it clearly.

e820600b383a9c774acbb494d271329d.jpg

@Raindance This is a pic I have found on the web. You can see the airflow a little (The circled area). I will upload a better a picture of it soon so that you can see it clearly.
Aha! now I see, the double walls of the chamber with the outer wall being the juice flow control and air flow tube. The two notches being a different size so it can only be assembled with the various holes at the correct placement.

This is my first look at a top airflow atty, so the technology is a bit new to me. Much appreciated, thanks!

Regards

Thanks for the review @daniel craig . I am so getting one of these soon. I've been using my Engine as almost my only RTA since I got it, only taking it off for my Serpent Mini since I've been on a bit of a single coil craze lately.. I can already see it, 26AWG Ni80, 0.5ohms, 30W, juice and battery life for days.

Thanks for the review @daniel craig . I am so getting one of these soon. I've been using my Engine as almost my only RTA since I got it, only taking it off for my Serpent Mini since I've been on a bit of a single coil craze lately.. I can already see it, 26AWG Ni80, 0.5ohms, 30W, juice and battery life for days.
My only gripe with dual coil RTA'S is that the juice consumption is crazy, especially with the engine. That said, many users love the Engine because of its flavor production and the fact that it doesn't leak. This tank is ideal to carry around. For going out this is the tank I would carry around because I can be rest assured there won't be any leaking.

Good job Dan, I definitely want this one. I rate it's big brother the best in class for 2016 and if the tank's half as good it is a winner.Love the fact that it is a single coil.
It will definitely meet your standards. You won't be disappointed at all. I love my single coil RTA'S, they are all I use nowadays. The only time I use dual coils is when I use my RDA.

Any new info about this tank. I have seen alot off YouTube videos some say best result it to make coil 3.5 less than that then flavour is not that great. Witch coil will be the best. I have ordered one and will probably get it in a few weeks.

There is no such thing as perfect coil that will for everyone. You have to experiment and find the RIGH 1 for YOU.

For me, Nih80, 3mm, 24G, 7 wraps, firing at 0.50 ohm and 26W. PERFECT for me.

Find your own perfect for you through experimenting.

LOVE my nano, and right now, my only all day tank.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and impression on it.
Will do them soon as I get it. Their shop in Ruimsig is like 10km away from me, I took courier anyway lol, just now its only at the Fourways branch. Hopefully they deliver tomorrow.

Finally got mine. Strange thing tho, mine doesn't have the staggered post holes.

d5887e4f091fed4ead4f20933c920e54.jpg

Apparently there are a few people that has the same thing. Will post a build and my thoughts shortly

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Finally got mine. Strange thing tho, mine doesn't have the staggered post holes.

d5887e4f091fed4ead4f20933c920e54.jpg

Apparently there are a few people that has the same thing. Will post a build and my thoughts shortly

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
That is rather strange. I had an early bird version (from China) before it reached SA shores and mine had the staggered posts. Even the reviewers had staggered posts so it's probably that OBS decided to change it or maybe a mistake. Check and verify it's authenticity.

That is rather strange. I had an early bird version (from China) before it reached SA shores and mine had the staggered posts. Even the reviewers had staggered posts so it's probably that OBS decided to change it or maybe a mistake. Check and verify it's authenticity.
I checked the QR code and it said it is authentic, typed it into obs website and it just said that it has already been queried lol.. I read on reddit they changed it and didn't let anybody know. For interest sake, what was your included coil resistance?

Back